AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Retired > Retired A-L > Haruhi Suzumiya

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 2010-01-30, 14:22   Link #321
darksassin
Is this dangerous??

Unhappy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Heatth View Post

A more fitting theory would be "aliens has colored hair", but then Tsuruya doesn't fit.
Lol .Those "alien has colored hair" statement suddenly makes me think of Ep 6 of Haruhi-chan no yuutsu.

Quote:
Originally Posted by edkedkedk View Post
Since the movie will be coming out in less than a month, I thought I'll take the chance to talk about Yuki!

I'm sure most people will agree with me when I say that Yuki is the most tragic character out of the series. Granted, she has A LOT of character development, but most of them only serve to create heart-wrenching feelings (or to me, anyway). And no, Mikuru being bullied by Haruhi doesn't even come close.

And perhaps the most saddening thing is that despite her awesome powers, she can never change her situation. She's merely here to observe, after all. And then there's Kyon, whom she follows loyally. At the end of the day, she will always sacrifice her interests for him, no matter what they are, like in
Spoiler for Disappearance:

PS: Sorry about this rant about Yuki. I'm just feeling indignant for her after reading Disappearance
The reversing of the world might be because of her love to Kyon. Some might argue that the reason why she create alternate world is for Kyon who wants a normal life(mainly kyonxyuki shippers) as well as to be normal. The backup part... I kinda agree with you.
Yes, the disappearance arc makes many people sad including me. But I think the novel shows huge character development for Yuki as well as Kyon. That novel make me fall in love with Yuki (in fanboy/girl sense)more .Anybody, dont misunderstood

Now the alt!Yuki pic make me SQUEE!!! Cant decide which one is better though. the alt one or the normal one. both has their awesomeness
Old 2010-01-31, 05:40   Link #322
edkedkedk
Hare Hare Sera Fuku!

Quote:
Originally Posted by darksassin View Post
The reversing of the world might be because of her love to Kyon. Some might argue that the reason why she create alternate world is for Kyon who wants a normal life(mainly kyonxyuki shippers) as well as to be normal. The backup part... I kinda agree with you.
Yes, the disappearance arc makes many people sad including me. But I think the novel shows huge character development for Yuki as well as Kyon. That novel make me fall in love with Yuki (in fanboy/girl sense)more .Anybody, dont misunderstood

Now the alt!Yuki pic make me SQUEE!!! Cant decide which one is better though. the alt one or the normal one. both has their awesomeness
Yuki is self-sacrificing to the end. One more example would be in

Spoiler for Snowy Mountain Syndrome:

Question here: If she's cut off from the DITE, is Yuki still considered to be an alien?

I have a love/hate relationship with Kyon; love him because he's the narrator and his sarcasm is just too funny, and hate him because, well, because I'm a bigger Yuki fan than a Kyon fan. I am not a kyonxyuki shipper but I still like alt!Universe more than 'real'!Universe, because at least there, Yuki has made a stand for herself. I think that says a lot for her, whose original programming was just to 'observe'. Disappearance is a huge step forward for most of the characters in terms of character development, and I think it's logical they chose it to be made into a movie.

Oh, and personally, I feel emotionless Yuki is the cutest (her expression nearly never changes), and that alt!Yuki sometimes scare me. But I haven't seen the movie and her blushing furiously, so I might change my mind when I see that
Old 2010-01-31, 06:12   Link #323
Magnificate

Quote:
Question here: If she's cut off from the DITE, is Yuki still considered to be an alien?
I don't see why not, she is still of extraplanar origin.
Old 2010-01-31, 11:31   Link #324
darksassin
Is this dangerous??

Quote:
Yuki is self-sacrificing to the end. One more example would be in

Spoiler for Snowy Mountain Syndrome:

I have a love/hate relationship with Kyon; love him because he's the narrator and his sarcasm is just too funny, and hate him because, well, because I'm a bigger Yuki fan than a Kyon fan. I am not a kyonxyuki shipper but I still like alt!Universe more than 'real'!Universe, because at least there, Yuki has made a stand for herself. I think that says a lot for her, whose original programming was just to 'observe'. Disappearance is a huge step forward for most of the characters in terms of character development, and I think it's logical they chose it to be made into a movie.

Oh, and personally, I feel emotionless Yuki is the cutest (her expression nearly never changes), and that alt!Yuki sometimes scare me. But I haven't seen the movie and her blushing furiously, so I might change my mind when I see that
Seconded love/hate feelings for Kyon. But I think I like him more in the later part of the novel when

Spoiler for IDK:

One question, How many people thinks that Yuki actually says Kyon name at Snow mountain syndrome.?
Old 2010-02-01, 22:25   Link #325
Tabasco

I always thought it was a desperate attempt to give them a clue.

Unless she was hallucinating while unconscious, which leads to the even more interesting question 'about what?'
Old 2010-02-01, 23:46   Link #326
quigonkenny
Sav'aaq!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tabasco View Post
I always thought it was a desperate attempt to give them a clue.

Unless she was hallucinating while unconscious, which leads to the even more interesting question 'about what?'
If Yuki wasn't giving them a clue, the question turns to how much involvement Itsuki had to do with the incident, since he single-handedly walked Kyon through engineering their escape based solely upon Yuki's "clue".
Old 2010-02-02, 10:21   Link #327
darksassin
Is this dangerous??

Another question is why yuki chose shape 4 ? she could choose pentagon or cross or A shaped or other shape that has 5 points? why she chose 4 that coincidentally rhymes with kyon?
Old 2010-02-03, 09:49   Link #328
edkedkedk
Hare Hare Sera Fuku!

Quote:
Originally Posted by darksassin View Post
Another question is why yuki chose shape 4 ? she could choose pentagon or cross or A shaped or other shape that has 5 points? why she chose 4 that coincidentally rhymes with kyon?
The question shouldn't be why Yuki chose the shape 4, because that was the answer to the problem and she had to present it to the rest. The question should be, instead, 'Why did Tanigawa chose the number 4 for them?'

Of course, one could argue that he did that as it rhymes with Kyon's name, making the entire plot even more Kyon-centred, as it has always been.
Old 2010-02-03, 13:32   Link #329
darksassin
Is this dangerous??

Arrrghhhh.... The waiting... it burnsss.

anyway,
during BLR, when she open that door, Her expression is priceless. subtle but full of meaning. I wonder what's in her mind at that time
Old 2010-02-06, 23:25   Link #330
Tabasco

If you can shuffle Mikuru off for a little while, I'll join you?

Probably as close as she gets to relief and/or rejoicing at seeing two of her friends again after 3 years 'away'. Assuming she didn't undo her synchronization once she put them to bed, anyway.
Old 2010-02-07, 09:34   Link #331
edkedkedk
Hare Hare Sera Fuku!

I wonder how she feels whenever she synchronizes. It's like having the whole whole world crashing down on you at once, and then you KNOW that you will forget everything yet in a sense, you won't know about it.

Hmmm, that's confusing.
Old 2010-02-07, 11:03   Link #332
Kogetsu Shirogane
Kneel Before Your King!

Send a message via AIM to Kogetsu Shirogane
I'd imagine it would be very similar to intentionally trying to remember specific details about an event... Only in this case, she can access memories she hasn't had yet.
WARNING: Kogetsu Shirogane cannot be held accountable for any actions taken by someone else. Potential side effects of communicating with this user include headaches, mild confusion, insanity, delirium, and jumping into fires. Do not expose this user to sunlight or water or feed this user after midnight.
... so you think you're a king now...
Old 2010-02-07, 23:59   Link #333
Khu
そんなやさしくしないで。。。

That...

WOULD BE WEIRD. :S

it's like being omnipresent...yet not so. o_o
Old 2010-02-08, 02:16   Link #334
quigonkenny
Sav'aaq!

Quote:
I wonder how she feels whenever she synchronizes. It's like having the whole whole world crashing down on you at once, and then you KNOW that you will forget everything yet in a sense, you won't know about it.

Hmmm, that's confusing.
Who says she forgets?

I've always been under the impression that due to the lingering knowledge from the synchronization Yuki knows everything that's going to happen between the day Kyon and Mikuru(small) show up on her doorstep and the day North High student Yuki gives Kyon the tanzaku. She lives through that time and changes absolutely nothing about what she did before (or more accurately does the things she's always done, since there never was a "before"), since to do otherwise would cause..."noise". In short, for those three years, she's just like Dr. Manhattan—well, moreso than normal.

Why would she ever want to forget information, after all? That's what she was created for.

As a mind screw side effect, all that gradual emotional and character development that Kyon picks up in the novels to that point? It all occurred at once on the night of Tanabata three years ago (before his own "first meeting" with her), only Yuki supressed it so she would appear to be gradually opening up. ^_^
Old 2010-02-08, 11:37   Link #335
edkedkedk
Hare Hare Sera Fuku!

Quote:
Originally Posted by quigonkenny View Post
Who says she forgets?

I've always been under the impression that due to the lingering knowledge from the synchronization Yuki knows everything that's going to happen between the day Kyon and Mikuru(small) show up on her doorstep and the day North High student Yuki gives Kyon the tanzaku. She lives through that time and changes absolutely nothing about what she did before (or more accurately does the things she's always done, since there never was a "before"), since to do otherwise would cause..."noise". In short, for those three years, she's just like Dr. Manhattan—well, moreso than normal.

Why would she ever want to forget information, after all? That's what she was created for.

As a mind screw side effect, all that gradual emotional and character development that Kyon picks up in the novels to that point? It all occurred at once on the night of Tanabata three years ago (before his own "first meeting" with her), only Yuki supressed it so she would appear to be gradually opening up. ^_^
This is mindboggling

She would have to be a very good actress to pull everything off, which shouldn't be a tough thing given her poker face. However, I feel that if that's the case, she denied herself some information while withholding others. In any case, the DITE and the Human Interfaces are hard to figure out, given their abilities.

She was created to observe and gather information, yes, but certain things are better left forgotten until confronted. If she actually remembers everything, that makes the creation of the Disappearance world even more messed up.
Old 2010-02-08, 18:57   Link #336
quigonkenny
Sav'aaq!

Quote:
If she actually remembers everything, that makes the creation of the Disappearance world even more messed up.
Only if the older Yuki that the younger Yuki sychronized with was from after the events of Disappearance. Most likely the older Yuki is from the Tanabata Kyon came back from, as that is the one that gave him the tanzaku with Haruhi's "I am here" message on it. I'm not suggesting that either Yuki knew she was going to do what she did in Disappearance, although it is apparent that she has some prescient sense.

Quote:
She was created to observe and gather information, yes, but certain things are better left forgotten until confronted.
You're thinking like a human. Yuki has the ability to "re"do exactly what she knows she should be doing without any real impetus to change it. She did live through every iteration of Endless Eight without so much as a peep to the others without provocation. I think that had more of an effect on her (and was more of a cause for Disappearance) than the BLR synchronization, as in the case of BLR, she only lived through three years once, but with full knowledge of what would occur. In the case of Endless Eight, she lived through everyu one of those two week iterations.
Old 2010-02-08, 19:16   Link #337
ultimatemegax
Nyahahahaha♥

Send a message via MSN to ultimatemegax Send a message via Yahoo to ultimatemegax
Quote:
Originally Posted by quigonkenny View Post
Who says she forgets?

Quote:
This is mindboggling

She would have to be a very good actress to pull everything off, which shouldn't be a tough thing given her poker face. However, I feel that if that's the case, she denied herself some information while withholding others. In any case, the DITE and the Human Interfaces are hard to figure out, given their abilities.

She was created to observe and gather information, yes, but certain things are better left forgotten until confronted. If she actually remembers everything, that makes the creation of the Disappearance world even more messed up.
I believe that the situation is much like Mikuru's situation in the past, only Yuki's situation is a tad bit worse. Fujiwara said it best in Intrigues when he talks about having to dance in a specific manner. Mikuru doesn't know what style to dance, but Yuki has to perform everything picture perfectly the first time in order to maintain the timeline. Not only that, but Yuki was "created" as an organic life form from a bunch of information. The creation of emotions is heavily documented in many organic life forms, but the data itself cannot detail what emotion is, which is the cause of this drama.

As for the synchronization, I imagine it to be like a system restore (or pre-store) where the data becomes the same. Yuki attempts to synchronize with her variant on December 18th, but is unable to do so. We don't get to see if she does synch or not before that event during the three years, but we do know she is unable to afterwards.

“Nyahaha! Then we move to round two, Hero! ★”
Chuunibyou translation: 1st novel - OUT/ 2nd novel - OUT
Old 2010-02-08, 21:02   Link #338
Tabasco

That's the nice thing about Yuki, though, from the perspective of pulling this off. Perfect edidic memory. She literally cannot forget, and precision is built into her from the ground up as a prerequisite for her duties. Unlike Mikuru, who literally can't perfectly recreate the actions she knows has to happen, Yuki can and does.

I agree that she probably doesn't dump the sync data afterwards though, what would be the point? And who's to say that she doesn't routinely synchronize every night with her past and future selves to make sure everything stays on track? Looking at it that way, the post Disappearance refusal to do this must be like losing a limb, to suddenly have no idea what lies ahead.
Old 2010-02-09, 07:57   Link #339
edkedkedk
Hare Hare Sera Fuku!

It's giving me a headache just to figure out the order in which things happened Time-traveling is very complicated.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tabasco View Post
Looking at it that way, the post Disappearance refusal to do this must be like losing a limb, to suddenly have no idea what lies ahead.
It's also sorta heartbreaking. She's going to be haunted by the fact that she actually got twisted by data overload to the point where she lost control of her 'reasoning' and original purpose. And she must live in fear (if that's possible for her) that one day she might repeat the actions again. Fear of her own powers and knowing what she can do, so she stopped it. Yet she can't deny her mission, so she needs to collect more and more data and information. The internal turmoil must be... unimaginable.

Was there any indication that after Disappearance, Yuki lost some of her powers due to the DITE? Can't really remember the novel now.
Old 2010-02-09, 08:03   Link #340
Kogetsu Shirogane
Kneel Before Your King!

Send a message via AIM to Kogetsu Shirogane
She willingly had restrictions placed upon her powers. Which basically had no visible effect at all.

*e* On the other hand...
Spoiler for later stuff:
WARNING: Kogetsu Shirogane cannot be held accountable for any actions taken by someone else. Potential side effects of communicating with this user include headaches, mild confusion, insanity, delirium, and jumping into fires. Do not expose this user to sunlight or water or feed this user after midnight.
... so you think you're a king now...

Last edited by Kogetsu Shirogane; 2010-02-09 at 08:13.
Closed Thread

Tags
characters