AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Retired > Retired M-Z > Nanoha/Vivid Franchise

Notices

Old 2011-12-01, 10:07   Link #161
Sunder the Gold

Quote:
Originally Posted by WarpObscura View Post
So...
Spoiler for Unfamiliar:
gets it instead??
Not what I meant.

Spoiler for later in the series:
Sunder the Gold is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-12-02, 23:20   Link #162
GaelicDragon

Send a message via AIM to GaelicDragon
"He followed me home, can I keep him," pleaded Yuuno to Hayate. He knew it wasn't going to go well when Hayate of all people had the twitching eyebrow.

"No Yuuno, you can not keep him. Do you WANT more trouble from our mutual bosses. I already have to deal with some of my co-workers calling you Fate-lite," said Hayate with great exasperation. "At least it isn't ANOTHER orphaned magical girl. Do you have ANY idea how embarrassing it is for my coworkers to threaten to put asside a reserve for you like some kind of wildlife."

"So I can't keep him?"

"No"

"But, Grimlock LIKE new friend," stated the large mechanical T-rex that had been standing behind Yuuno the entire time.

---
Created on AIM
GaelicDragon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-12-03, 00:38   Link #163
Akiyoshi
The Flame Crussader

^ I must admit that seeing Nanoha fighting back-to-back with Optimus Prime will be one of the most awesomenest pictures EVER!

...9 years ago, the day after never would be the same

~The ASFB~
Akiyoshi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-12-03, 01:14   Link #164
Sunder the Gold

On that note, here's a link to a ZnT/Transformers fic where Louise summons Optimus Prime. It's only a series of key scenes rather than a whole fic, but it's still a great read.

Also, it took me a while to understand the "Fate-lite" remark referred to Fate's penchant for rescuing and apparently adopting children.

Although how you can compare that to bringing home GRIMLOCK is beyond me. Unless maybe it's the inexplicably infant-ified Grimlock of the movies.

Still, he's more like Voltaire than like Caro.

Overall, I have to say I don't see potential in a Nanoha/Transformers crossover. It goes hand-in-hand with why I think a Gundam crossover would be a poor idea.

And that is "giant mecha become unacceptably pointless when the major human characters are themselves MORE POWERFUL than most giant mecha."
Old 2011-12-03, 01:30   Link #165
Akiyoshi
The Flame Crussader

I understand your point in not wanting to put Nanoha with gundams because of the difference in power(even if there are some insanely powerfull Gundams out there that can eat the Huckebein family for breakfast). But the Traformers are different they have more dimension into their characters than just "being giant robots" most of the time they fight opponents far stronger than them and manage to rise up to the challenge by a combination of courage, teamwork and luck.

For all the fame Optimus Prime have, he usually ends up trashed in 8 fights out of every 10 he participates in but there's much more to his character than just his power level, he's a born leader, and idealist, a hero. Other characters also have their own personalities. Plus, they're freaking huge metal beings with plasma guns. sure, they can't blow up cities on their own but they can still get the edge in close combat.

I mean c'mon, they already made a crossover with G.I. JOE xDU

~The ASFB~
Old 2011-12-03, 03:39   Link #166
Sunder the Gold

Nanoha has more firepower than most Transformers, she can fly, and she is a considerably smaller target.

You'd need to pit her against Trypticon or the original Scorponok (the one that turns into a small battle fortress) in order to give her an honest challenge, because they have enough armor to take more than one Divine Buster, and they have enough on-board turrets to have a chance of hitting her.

Transformers would slaughter the rank-and-file TSAB soldiers, but would be outmatched by the Aces.

Of course, the Transformers would also outnumber the Aces, and two regular Decepticons could potentially overwhelm a single Ace, but the TSAB as a whole would vastly outnumber the Decepticons, leaving fewer of them to focus on the Aces.
Old 2011-12-03, 03:56   Link #167
Akiyoshi
The Flame Crussader

You didn't need to go directly for uber- powerhouses to give Nanoha a challenge, some versions of Optimus Primer are flying capable and have very heavy artillery, Nanoha my be a small target but you didn't need to aim that much when you're able to unleash hell in the sky. Nanoha's Starlight Breaker is definetly her win card but more likely she will rely more on Divine Buster and Excelion Buster as her primery heavy wepaons(unless she happens to be using the Fortress in which case she will use her shields and variations of the Excellence Cannon).

The Aces lord over the basic Autobots with relatively ease but the Decepticons are very tough opponents. Most of them can fly and almost all of them have pretty nasty weapons. In regards of the TSAB remeber that they didn't deploy large personel on their missions unless it's a high-class emergency.

I think a confrontation between RF& and the Tranformers will be similar in nature to that of the Numbers. Being outmatched in RAW power the Transformers will take advantage of the combination of their talents and will plan a strategy to target at thier enemies weaknesses. The movies did a decent job in that regard, the Decepticons always sent spies and cover agents first in order to prepare the conditions of the battlefield on thier favour, they're concious that there's a lot of dangerous weaponry on earth capable of wiping them so they strike the organization/communication ability of the earth's forces first, then their resources and then take care of the Autobots.

So probably they will attempt to do structural and organizational damage to RF& before launching thier assault.

~The ASFB~
Old 2011-12-03, 06:34   Link #168
Keroko
Adeptus Animus
*Author

The first problem we face with transformers is the same one we face with DC. Namely, which version are we going to use?

Seriously, there's the original series, the Headmasters, the Super-God/Chojin Masterforce, Victory, Zone, the second generation, the beast wars series, Beast Wars Neo, Beast Machines: Transformers, Transformers: Armada, Transformers: Energon, Transformers: Cybertron, Transformers Animated, Transformers: Prime and of course the Bay movies.

So, which one?
Keroko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-12-03, 07:00   Link #169
Dark Wing

I see all these wonderful coss-overs...but not once dose anyone mention Negima!?

Every disheartening guys every disheartening indeed...
Old 2011-12-03, 07:27   Link #170
Keroko
Adeptus Animus
*Author

*points back a few pages* We actually did.
Old 2011-12-03, 07:33   Link #171
Tiresias
Labda Prakarsa Nirwikara

Regarding Transformers/Nanoha crossover, the main difficulty will be devising the fights. Yes, they may be on equal level of power, but their sizes are so different I have trouble imagining how the duel will be.

Especially melee fights. Swordsmanship, for example, are designed to be used against human-shaped and sized opponents. You can't expect pretty swordfights when fighting a Transformer since Signum would more likely use Sturm Falken and Schlange to damage the large-sized target, for instance.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dark Wing View Post
I see all these wonderful coss-overs...but not once dose anyone mention Negima!?

Every disheartening guys every disheartening indeed...
Wait, when you're talking about Negima!?, do you mean the original manga, or the butchered anime retelling courtesy of studio Shaft? Because if it's the former, there's already several discussion while if it's the latter...well, whenever the words "Negima" and "anime" are mixed together, I always recite a modified version of the immortal mantra favored by Nasuverse fans: "There is no Negima anime"
Old 2011-12-03, 07:47   Link #172
Dark Wing

I was talking about the manga actually and yes having looked back only to have come to the realization that I over looked it...my fault entirely.
Old 2011-12-03, 08:02   Link #173
Tiresias
Labda Prakarsa Nirwikara

Ah, I see . Hmm, now that I think about it, back then I haven't commented yet...

The biggest challenge in writing a Negima-Nanoha crossover (or a Negima-any anime title, really) is that Negima is yet to be completed, and the developments are sometimes extreme enough to throw any crossover into whack.

And I don't know why, but some fics makes their crossover with post-A's Nanoha and post-ending Negima, making it very susceptible to any new revelations or character developments. In my opinion Equal and Opposite Attraction is one that falls victim to this, with the characters acting as if they haven't change from the beginning of Negima (and then there's the matter of the calm, listen-to-both-sides-before-commenting Lindy going into an outburst after learning that Negi has fought from a young age, nevermind that half her best combatants are ridiculously young as well). A Negima-Nanoha crossover would be better if both start at the beginning, or relatively beginning.

Not that a crossover can't be done. In fact there's some interesting concepts that can be used, like the Bureau helping the *spoiler*recovery of Mundus Magicus/Mars*spoiler*. Not to mention Negima has its own interesting brand of magitech.
Old 2011-12-03, 08:59   Link #174
Gaunt88

Oh good, discussion has cycled back around to Negima. I really like the idea of a well done Negima/MGLN crossover, but I wasn't sure about reviving the topic :P

Anyway, regarding the potential incompatibilities between Negima and MGLN magic - wouldn't nanohaverse mages technically be using ki, seeing as they draw their magic from their own bodies? Their actually techniques and spells are much closer to negima's magic, though.

My memory of how Negima's system works is a bit hazy, but I know that outside of a very few techniques, ki and magic aren't compatible. I guess you could reconcile MGLN-style magic with this system by saying that it uses techniques that are fundamentally different (being wired to draw power from an internal source), but superficially similar to Negimaverse Magic (logical and largely formulaic).

@Tiresias: That certainly is a problem. I guess that if I was going to write one I'd probably just pick a good spot in Negima - most likely after the end of the magical world arc - and diverge from canon there. I personally prefer fanfics that strike out on their own, rather than ones that retell a work's canon.
Gaunt88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-12-03, 10:27   Link #175
Sheba
I Miss NEET Life

Location: Formerly Iwakawa base and Chaldea. Now Teyvat, the Astral Express & the Outpost
Give Yuuno the Necronomicon Ex Mortis and watch Madness unfold.
Sheba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-12-03, 12:00   Link #176
Akiyoshi
The Flame Crussader

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sheba View Post
Give Yuuno the Necronomicon Ex Mortis and watch Madness unfold.
Yuuno: Groovy!

~The ASFB~
Old 2011-12-03, 21:52   Link #177
al103
Grumpy Russian bear

Send a message via ICQ to al103
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gaunt88 View Post
Anyway, regarding the potential incompatibilities between Negima and MGLN magic - wouldn't nanohaverse mages technically be using ki, seeing as they draw their magic from their own bodies?
Only, you know, they do not. Linker core gather unlinked mana from atmosphere/outside in the easily usable "mana pool". Exactly like Negimaverse mages with they gathering mana in easily usable "mana pool". So in both cases energy is gathered from outside and stored inside casters body.

PS. Also Nanoha/job, Honor/job and Rein/Agito.
PPS. Proud Athrun/Cagalli/Meyrin shipper.
al103 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-12-03, 22:27   Link #178
Keroko
Adeptus Animus
*Author

Nanohaverse mages do both, depending on which booklet you read. So take your pick.

But then again, so do Negima mages. It's always fun to read the chapter explaining how mages use magic from the air, and then read a page where they're going all "ooh" "ahh" over how much magic someone has in their body. Doip.
Old 2011-12-03, 22:51   Link #179
Akiyoshi
The Flame Crussader

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keroko View Post
But then again, so do Negima mages. It's always fun to read the chapter explaining how mages use magic from the air, and then read a page where they're going all "ooh" "ahh" over how much magic someone has in their body. Doip.
Myabe their actually refering to how much mana said awesome character can "store" in his/her body?

~The ASFB~
Old 2011-12-04, 00:57   Link #180
Gaunt88

Quote:
Originally Posted by al103 View Post
Only, you know, they do not. Linker core gather unlinked mana from atmosphere/outside in the easily usable "mana pool". Exactly like Negimaverse mages with they gathering mana in easily usable "mana pool". So in both cases energy is gathered from outside and stored inside casters body.
That's weird, I was under the impression that they did. Why, then, does eating a metric ton of food help regenerate mana?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keroko View Post
Nanohaverse mages do both, depending on which booklet you read. So take your pick.

Ah. That's why. Hooray for inconsistent background material

So, I guess in this hypothetical crossover you'd just pick one option and pretend the other booklet doesn't exist :P
Gaunt88 is offline   Reply With Quote