AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > General > Video Games

Notices

Old 2010-10-27, 16:57   Link #581
Kyero Fox
Tastes Cloudy

Anyone but me a lightning paladin? I loved having 1-10000000 damage XD
Old 2010-10-27, 17:21   Link #582
SoldierOfDarkness
The Dark Knight

Location: From the deepest abyss in the world, where you think?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vallen Chaos Valiant View Post
Blizzard has once again said they will "discourage" offline singleplayer...
And they didn't even try to disguise the fact that it isn't about screwing us over.

I want to hurt somebody. Seriously. And if I ever met a Blizzard employee I will scream at them.
Annoying ain't it?

I'm sure a good number of people just come home and look to play a few games alone. With the battle.net friends list its impossible.

Even if you just want to play offline you have to use a guest account and you cant even skirmish against the ai.
SoldierOfDarkness is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-10-27, 18:38   Link #583
Vallen Chaos Valiant
Logician and Romantic

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoldierOfDarkness View Post
Annoying ain't it?

I'm sure a good number of people just come home and look to play a few games alone. With the battle.net friends list its impossible.

Even if you just want to play offline you have to use a guest account and you cant even skirmish against the ai.
I am just sad about the future.
DIII still looks to be Single Player focused, so I am not saying I would boycott it or anything. But the fact of the matter is my current internet is incompatible with Battle.net and I had to log in at my University. If they are going to "shift" the Diablo customer base towards online play in the long run, then I fear for the future. Specifically Diablo III might be the last of the franchise I will buy from them.

All the excuses concerning shifting to Online play are all just that; excuses. There is no benefit for the players. And the excuses are so thinly veiled that I wish they would just flat out tell the truth. That they want offline gaming to die ASAP.
...And when it dies, they can start charging subscription fees.

Perhaps it is expected, as one of the developers admitted he was a Griefer back when he played the game. Blizzard is using the Griefer mentality; they will get as much benefit from the franchise as possible at the expend of the customers. Like how a Griefer gets his fun ruining other people's games.

Diablo III might be the last Single Player game Blizzard will ever make.
Old 2010-10-27, 18:39   Link #584
Xacual

If you ever log in and there are people on your friends list you don't want to have talk to you, maybe they shouldn't be on your friends list? It's not Blizzard's fault if you fill your friends list with people you only play with sometimes and the rest of the time ignore. Be more selective about who you put on it and you'll never have issues.

I'm just hoping they don't make creating games on D3 weird.

Edit: What's with all the exaggerations? I understand for some like with Vallen above that internet or connecting to battle.net can be hard or impossible but it's not a huge sacrifice expecting your consumers to have a stable internet. I'm a fan of Blizzard's games so I'm biased but acting like Blizzard is evil because they expect you to log in to Battle.net to play is really odd?

Also if you are upset about it, don't buy it. So many people preach something but still yet buy the games anyway which just supports that Blizzard's position is correct.

I was influenced by a certain group overflowing with madness and started trying to write a story. Please give it a try. Crashed into Fantasy
Xacual is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-10-27, 19:09   Link #585
Vallen Chaos Valiant
Logician and Romantic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xacual View Post
Edit: What's with all the exaggerations? I understand for some like with Vallen above that internet or connecting to battle.net can be hard or impossible but it's not a huge sacrifice expecting your consumers to have a stable internet. I'm a fan of Blizzard's games so I'm biased but acting like Blizzard is evil because they expect you to log in to Battle.net to play is really odd?

Also if you are upset about it, don't buy it. So many people preach something but still yet buy the games anyway which just supports that Blizzard's position is correct.
But WHY do I need stable Internet to play by myself? For what purpose? It is odd because it has nothing to do with the GAME. The Internet is for multiplayer; that's all it is good for, that is all it was BUILT for.

Why is it not odd that Blizzard doesn't want people to play singleplayer for a singleplayer game?

I say I will still buy DIII because the game is still Single Player; but my point is Bliizard doesn't WANT me to play Single Player. They want me to play online, and is only reluctantly keeping SP. They are not disguising the fact that SP is an unwanted part of Diablo, which they will remove at the first chance they get. And DiabloIV will have a very good chance of having no SP at all if they had their way.
Old 2010-10-27, 20:14   Link #586
Xacual

Why does online have to be multiplayer only? Most of my friends and I in Diablo2 played online even when we played single player so that if we ever wanted to group up we already had the characters ready we just put passwords on our games. Honestly from the sounds of it, like I mentioned earlier Diablo 3 is going to be like SC2, you need to connect online to prove you own the game but after that you can play single player or multiplayer depending on what you want to do.

I was influenced by a certain group overflowing with madness and started trying to write a story. Please give it a try. Crashed into Fantasy
Old 2010-10-27, 22:48   Link #587
Vallen Chaos Valiant
Logician and Romantic

Quote:
Why does online have to be multiplayer only? Most of my friends and I in Diablo2 played online even when we played single player so that if we ever wanted to group up we already had the characters ready we just put passwords on our games. Honestly from the sounds of it, like I mentioned earlier Diablo 3 is going to be like SC2, you need to connect online to prove you own the game but after that you can play single player or multiplayer depending on what you want to do.
Except they want to "discourage" offline play. This means intentionally penalising players in some way if they are not logged on while playing.
They don't WANT me to play offline. The option is there, but the stance is that Blizzard considers it undesirable. That I am somehow inferior for making that choice despite being their CUSTOMER.

You know what I fear? That Diablo Offline will be crippled and become a barely barebones version of the real thing. With all the nice "features" reserved for the online version. (Taking away the shared stash, for one.)

I don't play online, period. I respect the fact that you have the right to play online, but that has nothing to do with the rest of us who don't want to. I don't WANT to play with friends in a singleplayer game. That's the point about singleplayer. Thus I fail to see your stance have anything to do with mine.

I wish I could post on the Battlenet forums... I got CD keys, but I don't know how to log in. And my SC2 account isn't linked to old battlenet.
Old 2010-10-27, 22:55   Link #588
Xacual

Discouraging offline play does not mean the same as discouraging single player, you are reading too much into what they have said.

To connect online to Battle.net you need to make an account and then add your keys to the account made. I didn't think old battle.net forums were even still around.

In SC2, once online you can access single player or multiplayer. It uses the new battle.net which is what D3 will have to use as well so it's pretty likely that it will be the same system. Do you hate the way SC2 works?

Old 2010-10-27, 23:15   Link #589
SoldierOfDarkness
The Dark Knight

Quote:
Discouraging offline play does not mean the same as discouraging single player, you are reading too much into what they have said.

To connect online to Battle.net you need to make an account and then add your keys to the account made. I didn't think old battle.net forums were even still around.

In SC2, once online you can access single player or multiplayer. It uses the new battle.net which is what D3 will have to use as well so it's pretty likely that it will be the same system. Do you hate the way SC2 works?
I've already explained it.

You have no privacy when online. Yes you can delete the friends list but at the same time you do not want to do that.

If you have no internet connection, you cannot do anything except play campaigns through a guest account. You cannot skirmish or play challenges. If you were online and lost internet connection then you can still skirmish but after that you can't.

I'm guessing what he's fearing is that Diablo 3 will be similar in that we have to be online in order to get full access to our account. Worse would be if we can only go through certain missions if we had teamates.
Old 2010-10-27, 23:23   Link #590
Xacual

I guess I just honestly cannot understand those objections. To me they don't really seem worth worrying about though I'll admit they might be problems for others.

Like I said before though, I don't know why you'd have someone on your friends list if you would ever not want to talk to them. The only people I have on my friends list in WoW or SC2 are people I know in real life or know from a long period of online play. Seems counter productive to have non friends on a friends list.

Old 2010-10-27, 23:26   Link #591
Vallen Chaos Valiant
Logician and Romantic

Quote:

I don't mind that SC2 is Multiplayer focused. I know that's the only reason Broodwar lasted this many years. Thus I paid for my SC2, played my Singleplayer missions, and leave it at that.

But Diablo is a Singleplayer game. And it always had been. The online multiplayer had always been a separate side of it all, and the two sides rarely mix. The problem is that Blizzard is saying I am NOT a customer they really wanted, and is only grudgingly giving me an offline mode. And they blatantly said they will make me not want to play offline, which can only mean intentionally withholding gameplay elements. (They aren't even saying "we will make online so good you wouldn't want to play offline", they said "we will discourage you from playing offline")

I will have to find out what that "discouragement" is going to be.
Old 2010-10-28, 02:33   Link #592
Ithekro
Gamilas Falls

Would is odd since you could play Diablo II just fine without an internet connect...a good thing too since those were the days of dail up. Why make it so you can't just play the game normally, so if you are on a laptop that doesn't have an internet connection, or still operate a dial up system?

As said, it is a single player game. You are suppose to play it alone. You shouldn't have to be online to do that. (I will be since I use DSL, but that's not the point.)
Old 2010-10-28, 03:18   Link #593
Larthak
♪ ~ ♫
*Artist

Send a message via ICQ to Larthak Send a message via MSN to Larthak
Guys, come on. All you have to do is log in. Is that really such a problem? In 2010? And the friends list? That's just hillarious what problems you guys can have. No privacy online? Well, duh...cellphones destroyed privacy ages ago. I don't want to be a jerk, but I just can't believe what I'm reading...sorry.

It's an anti-piracy/anti-hack effort. Not successful due to people being what they are, but Battle.net 2 is already released. They won't back out now. Too late for that, since they stated ages ago how they want to implement every single new game into it. Can't play while traveling with your laptop? Blame pirates, if you so want to blame someone that much.
Old 2010-10-28, 09:35   Link #594
-Sho-
~Omedetô~

Yeah i found the internet requirement to play Singleplayer really dumb too . Well we all know that Battle.net 2 is fail .

For friendlist , you know that people can add and talk to you without your permission to become friend , you always have to block them . A system similar as MSN friend request would be better .

Seems like some people still believe that everyone have interenet and don't care about common problems which can happens like no internet for a while due to disconnection .

Anti-piracy huh? nah it doesn't works . Hacker will always hack .

And i did laugh for Blizzard news about banning player who cheat on singleplayer using others cheats than their own . So when you log , they control you Single or Multi without worries .
As they say there'll no mods .
Maybe if you happens to get one like customize your character , Blizzard will ban you?

I admit that despite the crap system i bought SC2 cuz i'm SC's fan , I'll buy D3 cuz i'm fan too .
But well , the industry these days are only for Moneys(fortunately some industry are still quality) and I don't count all those crappy DLC on games which are bought by sheeps ... (like for 10$ = 2 special costumes )
-Sho- is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-10-28, 09:59   Link #595
LoweGear
Secret Society BLANKET
*Graphic Designer

Quote:
Originally Posted by -Sho- View Post
And i did laugh for Blizzard news about banning player who cheat on singleplayer using others cheats than their own
Well for starters, the guy was using a hack that enabled him to cheat while still being able to get achievements. And the guy used said hack in multiplayer as well, and later claiming that he didn't know the hack was working when he went ladder.

I don't know about you, but those seem like incredibly legit reasons to ban him to me. I honestly have no sympathy for the guy.

Against all the evil that hell can conjure, all wickedness that mankind can produce... We will send unto them, only you.
LoweGear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-10-28, 10:17   Link #596
Vallen Chaos Valiant
Logician and Romantic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Larthak View Post
Guys, come on. All you have to do is log in. Is that really such a problem? In 2010? And the friends list? That's just hillarious what problems you guys can have. No privacy online? Well, duh...cellphones destroyed privacy ages ago. I don't want to be a jerk, but I just can't believe what I'm reading...sorry.

It's an anti-piracy/anti-hack effort. Not successful due to people being what they are, but Battle.net 2 is already released. They won't back out now. Too late for that, since they stated ages ago how they want to implement every single new game into it. Can't play while traveling with your laptop? Blame pirates, if you so want to blame someone that much.
That's completely illogical and you know it, so I won't bother trying to explain why something that doesn't stop pirates exists, is not there because it is the Pirate's fault.

And when you say "you don't want to be", you ARE. You are being a jerk, the very reason I will never play with the likes of you Online. I will be playing my Single Player games by myself as far away from you as possible. And if that is no longer possible then I will find something else to do. Perhaps what annoys me most is that Blizzard is trying to convince me to play Multiplayer when I don't WANT to. They are like missionary's preaching their religion, whether I want to hear it or not. In fact, they act just like you; they "don't want to be a jerk", but they still are.
Old 2010-10-28, 11:56   Link #597
Larthak
♪ ~ ♫
*Artist

Send a message via ICQ to Larthak Send a message via MSN to Larthak
Quote:
That's completely illogical and you know it, so I won't bother trying to explain why something that doesn't stop pirates exists, is not there because it is the Pirate's fault.
I never said it stopped pirates. Or hacking, sadly. I just said it's the newest form of "trying to stop pirates". Assassin's creed used it, Games for Windows Live was made because of this, Blizzard started using it and I believe a lot more games will in the future. Just as DRM came, now online authorization is trendy. We can't do anything about it. Protections never helped in the end but that won't stop developers from trying to protect their investments.

Quote:
And when you say "you don't want to be", you ARE. You are being a jerk, the very reason I will never play with the likes of you Online. I will be playing my Single Player games by myself as far away from you as possible. And if that is no longer possible then I will find something else to do. Perhaps what annoys me most is that Blizzard is trying to convince me to play Multiplayer when I don't WANT to. They are like missionary's preaching their religion, whether I want to hear it or not. In fact, they act just like you; they "don't want to be a jerk", but they still are.
Oh gosh, I knew you'd take it personally. Just forget it, man. I've got nothing against you and don't want to argue about who's being a jerk and who's not. That'd be just pointless discussion. If I offended you, I offer you my apology for the harsh words, but don't take everything so seriously on the internet. Avoiding online play because of a few words, especially in games like Diablo...I don't know. Feels like a huge loss in my eyes. =/

Quote:
Except they want to "discourage" offline play. This means intentionally penalising players in some way if they are not logged on while playing.
They don't WANT me to play offline. The option is there, but the stance is that Blizzard considers it undesirable. That I am somehow inferior for making that choice despite being their CUSTOMER.

You know what I fear? That Diablo Offline will be crippled and become a barely barebones version of the real thing. With all the nice "features" reserved for the online version. (Taking away the shared stash, for one.)
Quote:
But Diablo is a Singleplayer game. And it always had been. The online multiplayer had always been a separate side of it all, and the two sides rarely mix. The problem is that Blizzard is saying I am NOT a customer they really wanted, and is only grudgingly giving me an offline mode. And they blatantly said they will make me not want to play offline, which can only mean intentionally withholding gameplay elements. (They aren't even saying "we will make online so good you wouldn't want to play offline", they said "we will discourage you from playing offline")
I just don't know where you're coming from. Blizzard never meant you as an unwanted customer. It was always said that Diablo 3 will be focused on singleplayer. They never said they'll "withhold gameplay elements" if you don't play online. You just turn everything they say into what you want to hear to justify everything you're complaining about. Seriously you're just making stuff up without giving any valid proof. You say you fear them making offline a barebone version. No sane developer would do that. And most of all, Blizzard sure as hell wouldn't and never did.

It all just sounds like you're making the problem bigger than it is. I understand your concern, we've all been waiting for ages for this amazing game, but please...have some faith in those guys.
Old 2010-10-28, 13:27   Link #598
SoldierOfDarkness
The Dark Knight

Quote:
Originally Posted by -Sho- View Post
Yeah i found the internet requirement to play Singleplayer really dumb too . Well we all know that Battle.net 2 is fail .

For friendlist , you know that people can add and talk to you without your permission to become friend , you always have to block them . A system similar as MSN friend request would be better .
That's what I hate.

After a game, sometimes your opponent will mark down your ID and try to be friends with you.

I mean seriously.

How hard is it to add an "invisible" button? Why busy/away?

Quote:
Seems like some people still believe that everyone have interenet and don't care about common problems which can happens like no internet for a while due to disconnection .
Issue is not internet cause people more or less have internet to begin with.

The issue is "internet stability"

There are times when the router goes down or some idiot cut the cable cord (yes it has happened in my city and people were pissed).

If anyone watches Zero Punctuation in the Escapist, I think he explains it pretty well why he prefers multiplayer. You buy a video game just to have fun and not have to make it harder by finding other people to make it fun.

Quote:
Games for Windows Live was made because of this, Blizzard started using it and I believe a lot more games will in the future. Just as DRM came, now online authorization is trendy. We can't do anything about it. Protections never helped in the end but that won't stop developers from trying to protect their investments.
So long as they don't do the 24/7 internet connection. unfortunately Blizzard is somewhere between STEAM and UBIsoft's methods.
Old 2010-10-29, 04:19   Link #599
Ending

I don't find the online-only requirement that bad, since no doubt the game will be cracked within weeks after the release. Then I can play through the single-player and see if it's worth buying for the multiplayer.
Ending is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-11-01, 10:47   Link #600
Yui Is My Wife
Paper-Fan of DOOM!!

I'm not broke or anything, but just to be sure:

How much do you have to pay a month on Battlenet to play "Diablo 3?" And is it one account which allows you to play online with all the Blizzard games or do you have to make an account for each different Blizzard game?

Please help a tech-idiot here!!

Tags
arpg, blizzard, dungeon crawler