AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Related Topics > Web Novels

Notices

Old 2021-05-07, 22:59   Link #10761
travelingbum

with all them chinese apocalyptic zombie/cultivation stuff.... is there even any that make sense? then again it is the usual racist stuff so meh.

japanese isekai returnee ends up in hiatus or just cancelled, but at least they aren't reproducing adults to repopulate an entire city in a few months/years.
travelingbum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2021-05-10, 12:47   Link #10762
Tenzen12

I wonder what would happen if two different species of demihuman had kids? Do they take after only one parent? Do they get third pair of ears? Or they get one year after each parent plus pair of human ones?
Old 2021-05-10, 16:11   Link #10763
dragon1412

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tenzen12 View Post
I wonder what would happen if two different species of demihuman had kids? Do they take after only one parent? Do they get third pair of ears? Or they get one year after each parent plus pair of human ones?
probably like what happen with the case of fishman and Mermaid in One Piece, It is noted their that their are so many species cross over that when the child is born, even if it isn't the same type of aquatic creature as their parents, it is definitely from one of their older generations.
dragon1412 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2021-05-10, 16:29   Link #10764
Kyureki
Part-time Translator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tenzen12 View Post
It largely depends on how the author wants to take it, though there are generally 2 main types.

The one where the child is a pureblood of either lineage whether it be one of their birth parents or an ancestor.

Then mixed bloods which have combination of traits from each side.
Old 2021-05-11, 19:23   Link #10765
wuhugm
Confused Shark

In Kanna no Kanna there's a heroine who's a half Dragon half Elf

There are also many series with race mixing is a thing

But somehow except for the characters the MC knows, such population basically doesn't exist, which is weird
Especially because Demihumans are usually being lumped into 1 territory

Btw, just found this

What the hell...
I thought it's just another bitch chose hero over MC trope
But it's brainwash

That's... actually even worse
The girls were not at fault yet the MC won't accept them back anyway coz they were already defiled by the hero

I see some series like this lately
It's just the worst
It makes me hate the MC for not accepting them
If you just wanna abandon them, at least make them betray the MC with their own will, damn shit authors

Last edited by wuhugm; 2021-05-11 at 20:31.
wuhugm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2021-05-11, 20:43   Link #10766
Greenish Growth

Oh wow...I remember reading that novel. I was actually kind of interested in it because of that.

I wanted to see how the girls would react later, but I was pretty disappointed with how it turned out. It wasn't a good childhood friend backstabbing novel after all. That brainwashing was the only reason I kept reading it because the rest of the story wasn't interesting. Unfortunately it was the usual bad, going downhill failing hero and overpowered main character for everything else in the story.

EDIT:

Quote:
That's... actually even worse
The girls were not at fault yet the MC won't accept them back anyway coz they were already defiled by the hero
Spoiler:

Last edited by Greenish Growth; 2021-05-12 at 02:27.
Greenish Growth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2021-05-12, 02:12   Link #10767
wuhugm
Confused Shark

^That's the same thing
In the end they are removed from the story
Of course the removal method varies from story to story
In a CN story, the girl left on her own coz she felt ashamed
In a JP manga, Zero, the raped potential heroine left coz she felt she doesn't deserve a place beside MC

Technically this isn't MC's decision, but author's, but let's be real, it's a wish fulfillment story
And MC/Author wants a pure heroine so defileds got BTFOd
Old 2021-05-12, 02:47   Link #10768
Greenish Growth

I was hoping that they would come back as regular characters. Main character had the ability to raise their level relatively quickly too, but it didn't happen. They were in partial shock from losing battles too. I suppose there wasn't much time to level them up, but I liked the childhood friends more than the new party he formed.

I haven't seen many non-virgin heroines in non-adult stories which is too bad. I'd prefer a variety of different types myself.

Well there are those stories where the female childhood friends are in the brave party and the main character gets kicked out and they didn't know he left. Main character forms a harem party and then the childhood friends joins him later to form a super harem party.
Old 2021-05-12, 08:28   Link #10769
Kyureki
Part-time Translator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greenish Growth View Post
I haven't seen many non-virgin heroines in non-adult stories which is too bad. I'd prefer a variety of different types myself.
You and many westerners may be fine with it, but the problem is that the main target audience for WN/LN, teenage to young adult Japanese, have a tendency to....put it gently, react strongly to non-virgin heroines.
Old 2021-05-12, 09:30   Link #10770
wuhugm
Confused Shark

^Why write stories where innocent girls who love MC got brainwashed and raped then?
It doesn't even incite character growth on MC either coz he didn't know they were brainwashed, so he just thought he was betrayed
Even later when the truth is revealed, it's no longer matter coz by that point he already has super virgins harem
Old 2021-05-12, 10:03   Link #10771
Endscape
The Mage of Four Hearts
*Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greenish Growth View Post
Well there are those stories where the female childhood friends are in the brave party and the main character gets kicked out and they didn't know he left. Main character forms a harem party and then the childhood friends joins him later to form a super harem party.
Stories like those are always the type where one jealous guy in the party kicks the MC out alone and he just...walks away without even talking to the other members of the party first.

Quote:
Originally Posted by wuhugm View Post
^Why write stories where innocent girls who love MC got brainwashed and raped then?
It doesn't even incite character growth on MC either coz he didn't know they were brainwashed, so he just thought he was betrayed
Even later when the truth is revealed, it's no longer matter coz by that point he already has super virgins harem
It's about having your cake and eating it too. The writer can show the MC as a forgiving person when he finds out about it later on but by then he already has a new virgin harem so the old girls get shoved to the wayside.

Illusion, illusion, this is illusion. It cannot harm me.
Endscape is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2021-05-12, 10:31   Link #10772
wuhugm
Confused Shark

^Forgive what?
They didn't do anything wrong
They were brainwashed
Old 2021-05-12, 12:10   Link #10773
Endscape
The Mage of Four Hearts
*Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by wuhugm View Post
^Forgive what?
They didn't do anything wrong
They were brainwashed
It's like having a show of being forgiving without actually having to forgive anything. I really hate to use this word, but it's basically virtue signalling.

You'll notice that in stories where girls actually betray the MC he never forgives them even if they come back on hands and knees and begs, right? This is because generally they want to punish women for going against/not accepting the MC, so him forgiving them breaks the self-insertion.

But this way the MC can make a show of being a forgiving person that the reader will accept because the girl didn't actually do anything, so the reader can bask in the idea of being forgiving without actually being forgiving.

These types hate when women have been with other men, so the girl is then put on a bus and never seen again.

Illusion, illusion, this is illusion. It cannot harm me.
Endscape is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2021-05-13, 16:49   Link #10774
dragon1412

normally though, I always on alert when reading novels with brainwashed type, they tend to create very convoluted situation and make a lot of questions like why isn't the brainwashing work on everyone or why isn't the user fully take advantage of it like making a cult or creating army. The majority of time I read most Brainwashing trope is simply for the sake of drama. Or force create situation like above. Story with really good mind type abilities is very rare though, whether it is on villains or hero.

It's not only the matter of non Virgin though, I mean, most Japanese readers would probably go errrr as well if the cause of the NTR is actually brainwashing rather than the usual Zamaa trope. Don't know why the author went with it TBH.

I mean I actually really like mind type based abilities like brainwashing or hypnosis, But most of the time it actually only there for the drama instead of being an actual threat deserving of it nature, I mean, most mind control villains just when oh no when the abilities don't work on the hero and supposedly getting scared and went no please don't hit me, I mean, take a page from Lelouch, actively using his geass in battle and his order is the very biggest threat in the entire story.
dragon1412 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2021-05-13, 19:30   Link #10775
wuhugm
Confused Shark

^Yep
I hate brainwash story

Tho, limited type like Geass is actually epic

But the lewd type should all go to Nocturne imho
Old 2021-05-13, 20:27   Link #10776
Greenish Growth

Quote:
Originally Posted by dragon1412 View Post
It's not only the matter of non Virgin though, I mean, most Japanese readers would probably go errrr as well if the cause of the NTR is actually brainwashing rather than the usual Zamaa trope. Don't know why the author went with it TBH.
I'm pretty sure he did it just to...(BIG PLOT SPOILER)
Spoiler:
Old 2021-05-18, 13:53   Link #10777
Greenish Growth

This anti-expulsion trope story had me confused because I'm not sure what the ending meant.

Beware --- main character does stuff that will trigger people.

https://ncode.syosetu.com/n8784gy/

Can someone explain the ending?

EDIT:

Well, at any rate. It was a pretty bittersweet ending. Can't get it out of my head.

Last edited by Greenish Growth; 2021-05-19 at 01:33.
Old 2021-05-23, 03:07   Link #10778
Tenzen12

Lol I love common sense. Well maybe this count as lack of it? Can't say which....

Cultivation online :
Quote:
"I… I understand. Lian Rong! Be grateful! This young man has decided to spare your life!"

"Thank you, benefactor!" Lian Rong cried.

Yuan couldn't but help find these peoples' behavior weird and unnecessarily exaggerated. Why must she be executed for mocking him? If he was to kill anyone that has offended him, who knows how many people will die.

'I hope this won't become a trend amongst NPCs…' Yuan silently prayed
Old 2021-05-23, 06:15   Link #10779
wuhugm
Confused Shark

CN stories in a nutshell
Old 2021-05-23, 08:58   Link #10780
Key Board
Carbon

I’m looking for more stories where the protagonist EARNS their power rather than just being gifted a special skill by god as compensation. No, I don’t care if the entire world considers it a thrash skill. That’s never the case.

This also means that I avoid cultivation stories by default since the protagonist always takes a shortcut and runs into either a super herb/elixir/medicine or a rare martial arts scroll

I prefer isekai stories where they take advantage of their isekai setting to explain the uniqueness of the main character.

Example: Handyman Saito is literally just a mechanic from a modern world transported into a fantasy world

Anything like that?
"Legitimacy is based on three things. First of all, the people who are asked to obey authority have to feel like they have a voice—that if they speak up, they will be heard. Second, the law has to be predictable. There has to be a reasonable expectation that the rules tomorrow are going to be roughly the same as the rules today. And third, the authority has to be fair. It can’t treat one group differently from another.” Malcolm Gladwell
Key Board is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
web novel