AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Sword Art Online > Past SAO Anime

Notices

View Poll Results: Critique of Episode 05
10 out of 10: Near Perfect... 35 22.88%
9 out of 10 : Excellent... 41 26.80%
8 out of 10 : Very Good... 29 18.95%
7 out of 10 : Good... 30 19.61%
6 out of 10 : Average... 8 5.23%
5 out of 10 : Below Average... 2 1.31%
4 out of 10 : Poor... 4 2.61%
3 out of 10 : Bad... 1 0.65%
2 out of 10 : Very Bad... 2 1.31%
1 out of 10 : Torturous... 1 0.65%
Voters: 153. You may not vote on this poll

Old 2012-08-07, 02:13   Link #261
Dengar
Kamen Rider Muppeteer

This is episode 5. Are we still debating whether the stories' entire premise is possible or not?
Dengar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-08-07, 03:49   Link #262
jpwong

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anh_Minh View Post
Also, they're all in hospitals and can't be moved. You're going to fire an EMP in there?
They got to the hospital somehow, so clearly they can be moved, though I imagine that the restrictions on that would preclude the necessary logistics to get all the survivors into a single location that you could EMP.

I'd be more concerned how to generate an EMP wave. Even assuming technology has moved forward in the future, most shows I've seen that use EMPs still do it the old fashioned way, detonate a nuclear weapon at high altitude. I imagine this is mostly due to the fact there's no practical reason to try and create small scale style EMP weapons. If you're firing an EMP at someone, it's probably because either they're an imminent threat to your country, or you're about to invade them (or both).
jpwong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-08-07, 04:08   Link #263
Rakshasa

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xaturas View Post
Video games systems got expanded but weapon developement and military technology became stagnant and didn't move forward, yeaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaah righhhhhhhhhhhhhhhht suuuuuuuuuuuuure ...
Yeah, right, cause EMP suddenly got turned from a weapon that destroys electronics by burning it out with excessive amounts of electromagnetic radiation into a magic missile that targets only the sensitive electronics while leaving the solid-state microwave sources alone.

Like there's no way it would produce deadly microwave radiation before burning out, cause it wasn't designed to do exactly that when the death-switch gets triggered and the internal battery discharges in fractions of a second.

At the very least a minimum of knowledge of electronics and physics would be required before making badpoasts.
Old 2012-08-07, 04:25   Link #264
Wild Goose
Truth Martyr
*Author

I chalk this down to the modern culture of instant gratification and the average young person on the net not thinking things through.

Anyhow, good ep all in all, no complaints, and I'm glad they didn't try to squeeze it through.

As for the episodic nature... When you think about it, your own life is of an episodic nature. So I don't see the problem.

I believe in miracles.

Wild Goose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-08-07, 05:32   Link #265
don_Durandal
Zetsubou gunsou

Quote:
Originally Posted by jpwong View Post
They got to the hospital somehow, so clearly they can be moved, though I imagine that the restrictions on that would preclude the necessary logistics to get all the survivors into a single location that you could EMP.
<...>
That was a one-time thing only though.

Spoiler for novel info left out in the anime:
don_Durandal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-08-07, 06:25   Link #266
Adigard

Ultimately I think people are just hating to be hating... or trolling.

The idea that you could hit 6,000 some odd people scattered across quite a lot of hospitals all at the same time to ensure everyone gets out safely without being killed by the EMP or the microwave or just someone's watch being set wrong is beyond insane. (That's assuming that 100% of the SAO players reside in Japan, but that at least is something we can safely ignore.)

The idea that the Japanese government (or someone else's I guess) has crack trained troops who will magically know how to play MMO's well... and who can somehow get around the sole GM remaining in-game with the keys to the kingdom, as it were, to fully clear each floor (no need to kill the floor bosses, thankfully) and magically make it to the current floors being cleared without ever dying. Because, while you could probably re-engineer the NERV gear without the microwave / kill switch... you probably can't re-engineer the code that says when your SAO avatar is dead, it's dead. I can see the problems now. "Sir, we've trained up to level 7, but there was a trap in the 3rd floor and we lost a third of our team... it's going to take a few weeks for them to get levelled up again. Should we go back to support them?" Of course, the troops could tell everyone that it was safe to ignore the game because they'll totally have them safely cleared out in what, 5 more years?

If you can't deal with the setting, perhaps this show really isn't for you? Dunno? Sorry guys, it's the setting. Try to cope or move on?

Sleep PK is no odder than some of the travesties that happen in today's MMO's, it's just slightly more serious because of the death-game nature of the setting. And it's not like it's a problem plaguing the SAO residents today. They've obviously figured it out and it's a well known part of the landscape now.

I don't know, but people have been complaining about some really oddball things things lately.

Last edited by Adigard; 2012-08-07 at 07:48.
Adigard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-08-07, 08:44   Link #267
jpwong

Quote:
Originally Posted by don_Durandal View Post
That was a one-time thing only though.

Spoiler for novel info left out in the anime:
Spoiler for Response to novel information:

On a completely different topic, I'm going to agree that sleep PK while probably a big deal when it was first discovered has become widely known and people have adapted their habits to reflect that design issue.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rakshasa View Post
Wonder if, once they get out of the game, the people who PK'ed get charged with murder?
I think that would largely depend on if the server actually keeps full logs of who kills who, because frankly I don't think they'd prosecute anyone on a "he said she said" type thing even if other people's stories agreed. Plus even if the server has that type of logging, it's only going to reveal people who directly kill another player. In an MMO setting, there will clearly be ways to kill someone indirectly (such as by having monsters do the job for them) which wouldn't get picked up.
jpwong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-08-07, 08:52   Link #268
Xaturas

You people think whatever you want.
For me on the other hand the usual idea that there is somewhere (Usually Japan duh) some super great fricking genius who is so super smart that the rest of the world is on the level of apes when it comes to being smart. Is so dumb that I can just facepalm.
Usually the only defending point of such stupid plot holes is answers like "He/She is a damn genius duuuuuuuuuuh. She/He probably have super defenses".

Science and technology moved on from the genius fase. Obviously there are here and there some smart individuals who know a little more than the common flock scientists. But they aren't some super smart alien level like scientists, who outclass other scientists in each and every way. Nowadays everything is so diversified that its hard to have people on the level of Da Vinci, Einstein or Tesla.
Old 2012-08-07, 19:25   Link #269
Archmagination2002

Quote:
Originally Posted by Berserkguard View Post
Perhaps there's a skill that players can level that lets them see other players' menus? We've already seen that there are an innumerable amount of skills in the game like there are in real life. Kirito even thought that there might have been a skill that allows players to player kill inside towns, so I wouldn't think twice if we later found out there's a skill that lets players see other people's menus

And yay! Asuna's back!!!
Although I thought her re-entrance into the plot was kinda dull: her and Kirito arguing at a gathering as if that's how it has always been

A much more simpler explanation would be that the menu is invisible in every direction but the one facing the player. So the only way to see another players menu would be to be directly behind them.
Archmagination2002 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-08-07, 19:52   Link #270
relentlessflame

*Administrator

The conversation in this thread has gone beyond the scope of the topic and has expanded in a different direction (a tangent). Please put that conversation on hold while a decision is made about where it will be moved or how it will be treated.

Edit: Okay there are three new threads now for your perusal:

"Real-World" and Legal Implications (Speculation, NO Spoilers)
Game Mechanics and Technology (Speculation, NO Spoilers)
Game Mechanics and Technology (for Novel Readers, with Spoilers)

Hopefully this will allow some of the on-going discussions that really spans beyond any one given episode to live on in their own thread, and not be re-kindled every week in the episode threads.

Last edited by relentlessflame; 2012-08-07 at 20:49.
relentlessflame is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-08-08, 08:57   Link #271
klare

and the killer is... please stay tune for the next eps^^

since the first 2 eps, the show feels like going downhill, it is still visually good tho
Old 2012-08-08, 09:37   Link #272
Xellos-_^
Not Enough Sleep

Quote:
Originally Posted by klare View Post
and the killer is... please stay tune for the next eps^^

since the first 2 eps, the show feels like going downhill, it is still visually good tho
the butler
Old 2012-08-08, 09:38   Link #273
n120cky

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xellos-_^ View Post
the butler
Mr. Redrum ^^
n120cky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-08-08, 10:47   Link #274
ronelm2000
Moe Kyun~!

Well, their deaths could be a DoT effect, you know... or armor break effect...?

I'm just stating probablilities.

Either way this episode is good in my eyes. Kirito presented a good philosophical issue to munch on. Asuna is cute. The man's expression looks splendidly done. But, if there's no <<Pain>> in game, doesn't that mean that the man who got hit with <<Guilty Thorn>> was faking it? Or exaggerating it? Or was it that uncomfortable?
ronelm2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-08-08, 12:24   Link #275
Xellos-_^
Not Enough Sleep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ronelm2000 View Post

Either way this episode is good in my eyes. Kirito presented a good philosophical issue to munch on. Asuna is cute. The man's expression looks splendidly done. But, if there's no <<Pain>> in game, doesn't that mean that the man who got hit with <<Guilty Thorn>> was faking it? Or exaggerating it? Or was it that uncomfortable?
or he was panicking because he is seeing his HP dropping.
Old 2012-08-08, 12:35   Link #276
ronelm2000
Moe Kyun~!

Quote:
DoT effect? And I figured he would be...errm... even wilder than I have ever done in my life and would have repeatedly tried to remove the spear if it was the case... If he was panicking, it was too calm for my opinion...

Then again it's just me.
ronelm2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-08-08, 13:08   Link #277
FlameSparkZ
the "Z" is for "Zeta"

Quote:
Originally Posted by ronelm2000 View Post
DoT effect? And I figured he would be...errm... even wilder than I have ever done in my life and would have repeatedly tried to remove the spear if it was the case... If he was panicking, it was too calm for my opinion...

Then again it's just me.
Well...I think it's kinda hard to remove a weapon covered in thorns from your chest while being hanged from a window
Old 2012-08-08, 13:48   Link #278
Sute443
Sasaki-ist

Quote:
Or because Yoruko was right about the identity of the culprit, and Kains had just seen a ghost...

But seriously, if we're trying to solve the mystery, I think there are a few possibilities.

Spoiler for Speculation and saving space:
Sute443 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-08-08, 14:13   Link #279
AC-Phoenix
Detective

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sute443 View Post
Or because Yoruko was right about the identity of the culprit, and Kains had just seen a ghost...

But seriously, if we're trying to solve the mystery, I think there are a few possibilities.

Spoiler for Speculation and saving space:
There is actually no proof she died - Most MMos have a fake death skill and I suppose she had it. its pretty much the easierst way to pull this cime off, especially since all impiortant information came from her.

Sidenote: I'm seemingly too dumb for my current keyboard, so if you see the same character twice in a row, when it doesn't belong there just ignore it.

Last edited by AC-Phoenix; 2012-08-08 at 18:45.
AC-Phoenix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-08-08, 18:22   Link #280
relentlessflame

*Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by AC-Phoenix View Post
There is actually no proof she died - Most MMos have a fake death skill and I suppose she had it. its pretty much the easierst way to pull this ciime off, especially since all impiortant information came from her.
Well, that's a bit convenient too, in the sense that such a skill has never been mentioned before. They showed pretty clearly her falling from the ledge and disappearing just like everyone else does when they "die". I suppose the way she turned and fell out of the window was a bit weird, and the fact that she deliberately sat by the open window was pretty convenient (if she was counting on someone to throw the knife at that moment, it would make sense). Plus her over-the-top explanation of the "ghost" possibility was a bit strange (like she suddenly snapped). It is also true that she was strangely insistent on summoning Schmidt to make him aware of the situation (does this game not have any sort of internal messaging system? )...

I guess, if this is true, it means she certainly has an accomplice. When they were discussing who had made the sword, she made it clear that Grimrock could have given the sword to someone else. If she's in on the crime, I guess that could either be trying to cover for Grimrock, or some sort of subconscious honest admission.

Incidentally, if we're bringing up the topic of fake deaths, is it clear that Griselda is really dead? When Yoruko explained the story, she just said that "they found out she died". If, by some chance, she isn't really dead, and this is some sort of plan to keep the ring, then I suppose that opens up some other possibilities. But, still, why go after people now, six months later? Also, it's at least true that Schmidt also thinks she's dead, and I'm not sure I can believe he's involved in this given the situation.

In any case, I would think the next thing for Kirito and Asuna to investigate is the situation surrounding Griselda's death, which may provide more clues into who is responsible for this whole affair.