AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Retired > Retired M-Z > Psycho-Pass

Notices

View Poll Results: Psycho-Pass - Episode 19 Rating
Perfect 10 15 30.00%
9 out of 10 : Excellent 21 42.00%
8 out of 10 : Very Good 7 14.00%
7 out of 10 : Good 6 12.00%
6 out of 10 : Average 1 2.00%
5 out of 10 : Below Average 0 0%
4 out of 10 : Poor 0 0%
3 out of 10 : Bad 0 0%
2 out of 10 : Very Bad 0 0%
1 out of 10 : Painful 0 0%
Voters: 50. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old 2013-03-03, 20:14   Link #101
GDiddy
Sisterhood of the Desu

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vallen Chaos Valiant View Post
It seems Akane is the first truly law-abiding person Sybil has ever detected. She believes in justice.

But as far as Sybil is concerned, they can't tell the difference between someone who has a clear conscience like Akane, from someone who has no conscience like Makishima.
I see what you're saying...but my first thought was that the Sibyl System...or more speficially Chief Cyborg, want to use Akane to take out Ko somehow...especially since the two of them grew close.
Old 2013-03-03, 22:40   Link #102
CJ_Walker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Qilin View Post
That's that thing. Such a thing doesn't even need anyone to contaminate it for the whole thing to come crashing down. All it would take is a single random mutation from some hypothetical pest to kill of an entire harvest, or at least a significant part of it. That's unless the system truly believes that its calculations regarding genetics and agriculture are indeed perfect, which I would doubt since this is science we're talking about. Facts are only true until they are proven wrong.
This is actually the point that Gen is trying to make with this series as a whole(If you look at it from a social commentary point of view) Which is what makes this show awesome. If you take a look through this series, he's pretty much bludgeoning the viewers with this。 Good thinking Quil
Old 2013-03-04, 02:34   Link #103
Dengar
Kamen Rider Muppeteer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roger Rambo View Post
Makishima would have destroyed the Sybil System if his buddy choe had opted to toss pipe bombs into that chamber rather than take pictures.

Sybil is delusional if it can't recognize him as dangerous by this point.
It's not a matter of being delusional. I hate that word. As I have said before, maybe twice, is that they don't understand.
Old 2013-03-04, 03:24   Link #104
Cosmic Eagle
今宵の虎徹は血に飢えている

Lol...in the future of a soulless police state, the one form of free information left is 2ch

Quote:
Originally Posted by darthfanta View Post
In the USSR, you can get executed even if you are a diehard party member. A report is all it takes to get you killed. A lot of innocent people were killed as a result of their neighbours/family members/ colleagues reporting them for 'treason' as a result of personal dispute. People settled their scores a lot during those times in Russia.Executions also happen in psycho pass, but as we have seen, it is usually reserved for murderers as we have seen.
You think so? Previous eps show that those who go into incarceration rarely, if ever come out alive. Are all of them murderers?
Old 2013-03-04, 03:39   Link #105
4Tran

I take back what I wrote earlier about the conversations with Makishima being the worst things. Imaginary conversations with him are even worse.

And so the final challenge is to destroy Japan's food supply? It sort of makes sense, but you'd think that we would have been told that Japan is a closed society sometime in the preceding episodes. To be infodumped with vital information like this is awkward and uninvolving.

The Sibyl System deciding to pick Akane as its new pawn does open up some new storytelling threads, and it's easily the best part of the episode. I wonder why she wasn't invited into the chief's office though. In any case, it gives Akane an opportunity to demonstrate that she's made of sterner stuff than she appears.

One last bit: Kougami and Makishima are horribly lucky that the Sibyl System doesn't have the resources of Cure Rosetta. If it did, they'd have been tracked down long ago.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GDiddy View Post
Terrific episode as always, but I wonder why the sudden interest in Akane? Something tells me Chief Cyborg's got plans for her...and it won't be pretty.
The Sibyl System realized that they couldn't use Ginoza any more, and Akane is in position to take over his role. They would have no objection over her because they themselves rely on the Psycho-Pass readings.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cosmic Eagle View Post
You think so? Previous eps show that those who go into incarceration rarely, if ever come out alive. Are all of them murderers?
But comrade, if they were innocent, then why would they have been accused?
Old 2013-03-04, 03:45   Link #106
Cosmic Eagle
今宵の虎徹は血に飢えている

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4Tran View Post
But comrade, if they were innocent, then why would they have been accused?
Coz the brains don't like them. At the core it still boils down to that. Dress it in however many subjective human ideas you want, in the end it still comes down to some brains finding you repulsive and needed to be cut out.
Old 2013-03-04, 06:54   Link #107
GodOfSpeed

Btw the brains in the Sibyl System reminds me of Metal Gear Rising lol
Old 2013-03-04, 10:50   Link #108
Dengar
Kamen Rider Muppeteer

Quote:
Coz the brains don't like them. At the core it still boils down to that. Dress it in however many subjective human ideas you want, in the end it still comes down to some brains finding you repulsive and needed to be cut out.
Most of the time (IE 99% of the time), people are arrested based on C.C., not based on what the brains want. (which coincides with what the brains want, but there is a bit of a subtle difference here) Remember, Sibyl does not actually read thoughts.
Old 2013-03-04, 10:51   Link #109
Mad Pierrot
Corrupted fool

Quote:
Originally Posted by GodOfSpeed View Post
Btw the brains in the Sibyl System reminds me of Metal Gear Rising lol
Kogami also abandoned Sybil in the same way Raiden abandoned Maverick and it's even better how Rising has a suit skin to make look Raiden like a Psycho Pass character.

Also memes are created quickly in Psycho Pass. Personally I would like more creepy Makishima images.

Old 2013-03-04, 10:57   Link #110
Dengar
Kamen Rider Muppeteer

Why that face? WHY THAT FACE?
Old 2013-03-04, 10:58   Link #111
Mad Pierrot
Corrupted fool

Cause he feeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeelsss!!
Old 2013-03-04, 11:14   Link #112
4Tran

Quote:
Nobody appreciates ol' fashioned Communist cliches any more.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dengar View Post
Most of the time (IE 99% of the time), people are arrested based on C.C., not based on what the brains want. (which coincides with what the brains want, but there is a bit of a subtle difference here) Remember, Sibyl does not actually read thoughts.
The point of the show isn't about whether the Sibyl System works (which it does despite its gaping holes), but about the human toll it incurs. Or at least it should have been. The problem is that the creators used the silly disembodied brains to engender a gross-out reaction instead.
Old 2013-03-04, 11:35   Link #113
Dengar
Kamen Rider Muppeteer

Quote:
The point of the show isn't about whether the Sibyl System works (which it does despite its gaping holes), but about the human toll it incurs. Or at least it should have been. The problem is that the creators used the silly disembodied brains to engender a gross-out reaction instead.
If you're talking about the lethal apathy thing and/or the corrupt thinking behind the system then I agree. I just think of the whole thing as a good idea executed all wrong.
Old 2013-03-04, 11:44   Link #114
Mad Pierrot
Corrupted fool

Quote:
It's the two actually. Episode 15 was the perfect explanation to why System messed up humanity. Criminals acting in revenge and society not knowing how to react.
Old 2013-03-04, 12:00   Link #115
4Tran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dengar View Post
If you're talking about the lethal apathy thing and/or the corrupt thinking behind the system then I agree. I just think of the whole thing as a good idea executed all wrong.
I liken this to the Harry Harrison novel "Make Room! Make Room!", which is a study into the effects of overpopulation and how devalued human life gets economically and socially. When the book was adapted to the movie "Soylent Green", all of the subtleties get lost with the deluge of silly things like euthanasia chambers and cannibalism.

Quote:
Originally Posted by amaterasu4 View Post
It's the two actually. Episode 15 was the perfect explanation to why System messed up humanity. Criminals acting in revenge and society not knowing how to react.
Not really. The riots demonstrate one of the gaping holes of the Sibyl System, but it still works because the problem is a temporary one. And really, most of the people are quite satisfied with the way society works. That's different from saying that the Sibyl System is any good though, as any number of bad political and social systems can still work.
Old 2013-03-04, 12:19   Link #116
Roger Rambo
Sensei, aishite imasu

Quote:
Not really. The riots demonstrate one of the gaping holes of the Sibyl System, but it still works because the problem is a temporary one.
The riots were a diversion to distract the undermanned police force, so that a small team could attack the heart of the Sybil system. If choe had brought a bag of pipe bombs and topped to use them, the Sybil system would have been completely annihilated. If the survival of your system is so fragile that it can be decided by whether or not a criminal happened to bring a bag full of pipe bombs, it's far too fragile to survive, and that there are probably other unacceptable weak points.
Old 2013-03-04, 12:29   Link #117
Dengar
Kamen Rider Muppeteer

Why do you insist on telling us the same thing over and over and over? We got you the first time.

It wouldn't even be as annoying if it wasn't blatantly obvious and/or people actually disagreed with that.
Old 2013-03-04, 12:42   Link #118
4Tran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roger Rambo View Post
The riots were a diversion to distract the undermanned police force, so that a small team could attack the heart of the Sybil system. If choe had brought a bag of pipe bombs and topped to use them, the Sybil system would have been completely annihilated. If the survival of your system is so fragile that it can be decided by whether or not a criminal happened to bring a bag full of pipe bombs, it's far too fragile to survive, and that there are probably other unacceptable weak points.
For sure, the sheer fragility of the Sibyl System is its weakest aspect. However, the single point of failure feature of the system isn't an expression of this weakness - that's just an artefact of bad writing. The fragility is best expressed by the extents that have to be taken to hide the Sibyl System's secrets. When a social and political system can only work if nobody knows how it actually functions, that's as bad a sign as they get.

That brings up a very interesting quandry though - the inherent nature of the Sibyl System is its the greatest weakness. So why didn't Makishima try to expose that nature instead of coming up with some dumb food supply issue on the spot? There are so many more interesting plot threads that could be addressed rather than coming up with new ones whole cloth.
Old 2013-03-04, 12:43   Link #119
Triple_R
*Author

Send a message via AIM to Triple_R
Quote:
Nobody appreciates ol' fashioned Communist cliches any more.

I know what you're saying. Plenty of societal/governmental systems "work", in the sense that they're self-perpetuating and self-sustaining and people aren't particularly likely to topple them anytime soon. But that doesn't mean that all such systems are good or desirable.

One line of argument defending Sybil that I've frequently read is "Well it works, doesn't it?" As if the value of a governmental or societal system is in sheer longevity. I mean, who cares what benefit it holds, or toll it takes, on humanity? Going by the "It works!" rationale, maybe we should all go back to monarchy. After all, monarchy has much more history behind it than democracy does. Monarchy clearly works!

So yes, I agree that the main focus shouldn't be on if Sibyl "works" or not, but rather on if Sybil is desirable or not.

However, two points...

1) I think the brains were meant to disturb the viewer, but I doubt Gen is aiming for any viewer to judge Sibyl purely on the basis of "Eeewwww... brains!" On the whole, the fact it's 250 brains doesn't bother people as much as the fact it's 250 people like Makishima. If these people still maintained their bodies, and just met in a matrix somewhere from time-to-time, it wouldn't have a major impact on my view of Sibyl.

2) Roger is right on a practical basis, which does question how long Sibyl would even work. A smart gang, or a small army, would be enough to take down Sibyl. Personally, I largely chalk this up to Sibyl complacency. And maybe that's part of Gen's point - Very authoritarian states will eventually achieve what they want, and then grow complacent, and then eventually a Makishima rises and... Perhaps it's an added argument against authoritarian states.
Old 2013-03-04, 12:45   Link #120
felix
sleepyhead
*Author

For the record, the entire Sybil situation we have currently could be considered a writers block. As in, its all an excuse to get Ko to run after Makshima.

Plot wise the Sybil system has been nothing more then a deus ex machina to drive Ko out of the police force, have him gear up, drive the police force to after him, drive him and Akane into some cookie cutter love relationship and son on. If the next episodes focuses on Ko with Sybil as a "observer" I'll be somewhat disappointed, since I'm not a fan of this sort of forced exposition.