AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series

Notices

Old 2014-04-13, 12:59   Link #81
FlareKnight
User of the "Fast Draw"

Send a message via AIM to FlareKnight Send a message via MSN to FlareKnight
Definitely tough for someone so note focused like Ei-chan to get those first tips from Natsu. Just very different kinds of people . Of course in the end seems to be making slow but steady progress in his own way. Certainly a normal person couldn't spend hours hitting a ball against a wall trying to find that perfect sensation.

What a way to end though.
Old 2014-04-13, 17:58   Link #82
MCAL

So it looks like what will set this sports anime apart from most of its ilk will be that it will be going into great detail. That sorts of fits the relatively slow pacing. I know some would bemoan that as boring, but done right and there's a certain charm to it. It also has a decent sense of humor. Personally, I haven't seen anything wrong with the animation. It isn't Production IG, that's for sure, but it hasn't been noticeably bad or stiff at all.
MCAL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-04-13, 18:05   Link #83
Guardian Enzo
Seishu's Ace
*Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by MCAL View Post
So it looks like what will set this sports anime apart from most of its ilk will be that it will be going into great detail. That sorts of fits the relatively slow pacing. I know some would bemoan that as boring, but done right and there's a certain charm to it. It also has a decent sense of humor. Personally, I haven't seen anything wrong with the animation. It isn't Production IG, that's for sure, but it hasn't been noticeably bad or stiff at all.
Nothing you say is factually wrong, but what worries me is that realistic pacing and sense of detail is absolutely central to the identity of the series, and it's only going to be 25 episodes. Very scary.
Guardian Enzo is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-04-13, 18:20   Link #84
Tenzen12

Don't worry around episode 20 or so we might get first decent match
Tenzen12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-04-13, 18:54   Link #85
ChainLegacy
廉頗

This one is slowly drawing me in. Feels like this would be the type of series I'd like to watch 4-5 episodes in a row if it had already aired.

I really like this pacing. I wouldn't really call it slow - we're just getting a very realistic and believable look at someone first becoming interested and picking up a hobby.
ChainLegacy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-04-13, 20:13   Link #86
Flower
Blooming on the mountain

Location: Deep in their roots, all flowers keep the light....
Quote:
Originally Posted by Guardian Enzo View Post
Nothing you say is factually wrong, but what worries me is that realistic pacing and sense of detail is absolutely central to the identity of the series, and it's only going to be 25 episodes. Very scary.
I like the fact that it is so detailed; kinda feel that the manga would be a more fulfilling media to delve into but the fact that there are over 200 chs. already makes it kinda daunting. That being said....

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChainLegacy View Post
This one is slowly drawing me in. Feels like this would be the type of series I'd like to watch 4-5 episodes in a row if it had already aired.

I really like this pacing. I wouldn't really call it slow - we're just getting a very realistic and believable look at someone first becoming interested and picking up a hobby.
I like the pacing, yes, but I like the MC primarily. Not on an intense personal level at the moment, but kinda more as a curiosity? (Sounds worse than I mean it....) At the moment it seems like it will amount to an interesting watch but not one that will wow or move me or provoke me to think like some of the other series airing at the moment.

Well, I will stick with it for now....
Old 2014-04-13, 21:54   Link #87
Utsuro no Hako

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flower View Post
I like the fact that it is so detailed; kinda feel that the manga would be a more fulfilling media to delve into but the fact that there are over 200 chs. already makes it kinda daunting.
It's a weekly series, though, so the chapters are less than twenty pages. During a blizzard in January, I marathoned Cross Game in two days, and that's about 150 chapters.
Utsuro no Hako is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-04-13, 22:09   Link #88
Flower
Blooming on the mountain

Location: Deep in their roots, all flowers keep the light....
Quote:
Originally Posted by Utsuro no Hako View Post
It's a weekly series, though, so the chapters are less than twenty pages. During a blizzard in January, I marathoned Cross Game in two days, and that's about 150 chapters.
Fair enough. And truth be told I can marathon things too, but I find I really have to be into the series to do so. Thus far Baby Steps is not quite there for me, unfortunately, especially with other series vying for my attention and timre that have a stronger pull. (Alas.)
Old 2014-04-13, 23:35   Link #89
FlareKnight
User of the "Fast Draw"

Well at least it's a comfort that the pacing is nice so far. Doesn't seem like they are preparing to do anything crazy yet. It could be the original fear with this isn't going to pass. Sure it's still got the episode cap on it, but if they do it well and the response is good enough maybe they come back with additional seasons. If the only changes is just adding scenes that make sense then not a big worry.

Makes sense for the steps to be baby ones here . Honestly I give the guy credit for effort he's putting in. Pretty sure I'd give up on hitting the ball against the wall after...well not very long . A positive to his personality for being able to stick with it even though obviously that's not the most fun thing in the world.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Flower View Post
Fair enough. And truth be told I can marathon things too, but I find I really have to be into the series to do so. Thus far Baby Steps is not quite there for me, unfortunately, especially with other series vying for my attention and timre that have a stronger pull. (Alas.)
Yeah, in the end it's always up to a person to decide whether something has that pull to really dive into it. Personally when I came across it I pretty much couldn't stop until I was caught up, but I can't say everyone will have that experience .
Old 2014-04-14, 00:51   Link #90
Guardian Enzo
Seishu's Ace
*Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlareKnight View Post
Yeah, in the end it's always up to a person to decide whether something has that pull to really dive into it. Personally when I came across it I pretty much couldn't stop until I was caught up, but I can't say everyone will have that experience .
Well, I say without hesitation that I'm neither neutral or impartial on Baby Steps. I think in terms purely of the sports side and as a deconstruction of a fascinating main character, it's the best sports manga ever. The only real question is how much of that will translate to the screen.

I may emotionally want to love the anime, but I also think that respect for the source material makes me a very harsh audience. And I can say I thought this ep was superb - it captured a couple of critical moments (like when Ei-chan hit a shot perfectly for the first time) exactly as I imagined them. The animation and art is so-so, but the writing and direction seems to get what this story is all about, and that's my main concern.
Guardian Enzo is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-04-14, 02:16   Link #91
Mubyoshi

I normally don't like sports anime, but since I happen to be a fan of tennis I decided to try this anime out. Liking it so far, the main character acts totally different from what I imagined he would be like when I first saw a picture of him, which happens to be a good thing. The characters looks kinda derpy sometimes to me though, must be the animation.
Mubyoshi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-04-14, 11:47   Link #92
Pellissier
♪~ Daydreaming ~♪
*Graphic Designer
*Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guardian Enzo View Post
While I'm not familiar with the source, I can see from the OP that what they want to achieve requires more than 25 episodes (I figure at least 50, like in Cross Game).

However, this a NHK work (I've also read the pessimistic posts at the beginning of this thread), Log Horizon is getting a second split cour of 25. Bakuman also got 3 split cours of 25 episodes each. So who says that Baby Steps will end in just one season? It could be that when it ends they air Log Horizon 2, and when that ends they'll go with Baby Steps 2. Just saying.
Old 2014-04-14, 16:03   Link #93
Itlandm
Porcupine

I have watched the first two episodes of "Baby Steps", and it felt strangely nostalgic, like a trip back to a time when a sports anime had all the time in the world to tell the whole story: The details of the sports, the personality of the characters, and the relationship between them, all in its good time. The pacing seems very natural, neither hurried nor drawn out. The character design had distinct and memorable characters without caricature, with the exception of the girl with the saucer eyes. Went a little over the top there, but I haven't seen the manga so perhaps it is something from there.

I'll probably read the manga later, though. Or perhaps sooner. It is pretty clear that at this pace, they won't be able to get far in two seasons anyway.

Spoiler for Ep. 2:
Itlandm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-04-20, 05:57   Link #94
Okashira
どうだろうね。ふふ

I can't tell if either the drawing style is improving, or if I am too traumatized to look at the characters faces

Liked the episode a little bit better than the previous one, there are more hints of a quiet determination on Ei-chan, I kinda liked how coach Muira ended up.

The pace is still pretty calm and steady, though. Things should change as soon as Eichirou gets qualifications to play.
Old 2014-04-20, 09:00   Link #95
yellowscarves

I dare say the art/animation in this episode was the worst yet. Or maybe that's just me being extra harsh on it now that the excitement of the adaptation is wearing thin. If it was going to be subpar by 2014 standards, it could have at least been consistently subpar. Even the tennis scenes are starting to look less lively with the stills creeping in. And once again, a bit of filler makes its way in too.
yellowscarves is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-04-20, 12:20   Link #96
Utsuro no Hako

I'm really torn over how this is proceeding. I'm happy that they're staying true to the manga, adapting just about every scene exactly as it appears on the page, but at the same time this is not paced like a twenty-six episode series. The more faithful it is now, the bigger the divergence is going to have to be later if they want the story to get anywhere by the end of its run. Part of me wishes they were doing a good-parts version so the overall story remains faithful even if they have to drop stuff along the way.
Utsuro no Hako is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-04-20, 13:04   Link #97
pampz21
ShipCore

Sports Sunday~

Starting slow but Good pace~

to Believe is to Live,
to Ship is to Believe,
the best part of believe is the Lie,
to Lie to oneself is to Live
and that is the Essence of Life

pampz21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-04-20, 18:34   Link #98
Mubyoshi

Watching this anime is making me want to play tennis again. Still can't get over Eiichiro's stupid looking mohawk though.
Mubyoshi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-04-20, 21:32   Link #99
dniv
I’m sorry, Kamijou-san!!

Well, I read the manga in 6 hours and it was pretty amazing. I'm now following it...

I'm sure they'll have subsequent season after this especially given the pacing. They'll likely try to capitalize on the fact that it's a detailed sports manga to make it long and good. And it helps that it is a romance.

Anyway, I think that given the pacing and the anime original more detailed content, it is very likely this will happen.

This is my favorite show this season, since I love tennis. This really makes me want to play competitive tennis again.
dniv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-04-20, 22:04   Link #100
FlareKnight
User of the "Fast Draw"

I definitely like the detail oriented nature of the series. After all going in I knew nothing about tennis so it's helpful.

Here's hoping this has a decent level of popularity to get further seasons. Though if that happens...well be nice if it also earned a budget boost .

Tags
shounen, sports, tennis