AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Retired > Retired A-L > Hayate no Gotoku

Notices

Old 2011-01-14, 22:41   Link #7621
Bastion_Arcion
*boot to the head*

Send a message via AIM to Bastion_Arcion Send a message via MSN to Bastion_Arcion
Quote:
Originally Posted by JMvS View Post
Well, it appears natural for the relation between Maria and Nagi to be familiar.

Another of my rants on the French edition is that they make Hayate and Maria use a too familiar speech when addressing each other... ... when it's clear that their junior-senior interactions are much more formal (and that there are ways of rendering that in French ).
Technically, having a nickname for someone is seen as informal, the trio using Hayata-kun and Hina-chan as an example, but (in English translation at least) it's a way to excuse using the original language until the reader understands the original language and the depth of the relationship behind it.

Most people would see Hinagiku calling her sister 'Onee-chan' as a nickname, until the realization that it actually depicts the great respect she has for Yukiji, and Yukiji's bottle fairy(t) tendencies don't do much to help the conception difference.
The translation keeping this formal level of address allows both meanings to carry over, which does help a lot no matter where on that sliding scale you happen to be standing.

Would people quit throwing my faith in humanity being intelligent a shovel?
... Apparently there are now people in existence who are unable to use a shovel.

Programming today is a race between programmers trying to create better idiot-proof programs, and the world creating better idiots.
The world is winning.. by leaps and bounds.

Body Language and Intonation can convey large amounts of information with a single word.
Bastion_Arcion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-01-15, 17:05   Link #7622
smartlypretty

thats kinda crazy
smartlypretty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-01-19, 20:44   Link #7623
Patchy
練紅玉
*Graphic Designer

Current Chapter

Maria
Spoiler for ^^:

Curious what they did to the boiler (Nagi and company lol)
Shiro
-----------------------------
-----------------------------
Currently Doing:
Currently Hidden in depths of Chireiden

Patchy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-01-19, 20:55   Link #7624
Bastion_Arcion
*boot to the head*

Send a message via AIM to Bastion_Arcion Send a message via MSN to Bastion_Arcion
Quote:
Originally Posted by Patchy View Post
Curious what they did to the boiler (Nagi and company lol)
Probably just overloaded it. It's been sitting for how many years without being used, and now it's got to work for six-eight people (and two cats possibly)?

Don't think they ever told us that they'd replaced anything, though that would have been a smart thing to have done, since when did that mean anything in this story?

... Apparently there are now people in existence who are unable to use a shovel.

Programming today is a race between programmers trying to create better idiot-proof programs, and the world creating better idiots.

Body Language and Intonation can convey large amounts of information with a single word.
Old 2011-01-19, 23:11   Link #7625
mitsuganae

On one hand, the latest chapter is another slice of apartment life, dealing with the complications of a somewhat mundane problem. On the other hand, it's just to keep Maria fans/shippers/whatever happy by feeding them a few nibbles. And what's with Maria going tsundere? It's not exactly her character type, but then again, I might have missed that memo.
mitsuganae is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-01-20, 01:49   Link #7626
Bastion_Arcion
*boot to the head*

Quote:
Originally Posted by mitsuganae View Post
On one hand, the latest chapter is another slice of apartment life, dealing with the complications of a somewhat mundane problem. On the other hand, it's just to keep Maria fans/shippers/whatever happy by feeding them a few nibbles. And what's with Maria going tsundere? It's not exactly her character type, but then again, I might have missed that memo.
It's not entirely her character type, but she has delved into it before, I think the most notable was during her interaction with the Valentine's/White Day events, which also lampshaded the tenancies.
I don't think any of the girls of the story have completely managed to escape the grasp of the tsundere typecast, some are just more prone to pulling it off.

The Yaoi fans also got a few nibbles this chapter, with Kotetsu.

Old 2011-01-20, 02:42   Link #7627
Used Can

I think this is one of those chapters in which Hata gives focus to characters who haven't received much focus lately. Last chapter was Hina and this chapter was Maria. I wonder if anyone is missing. Technically, this current arc has been about Nagi; so, she's got plenty of focus. Ayumu got her birthday chapter (although it could be argued that enough time has passed since then). Athena even got reintroduced to the story, and got two chapters for herself. So, I don't think there's anyone left, unless Hata wants to give some focus to the stupid trio (or one of them in particular), Sakuya, Isumi, or any other member of the supporting cast.

Either way, I hope Luca shows up again soon.
Old 2011-01-20, 03:27   Link #7628
Trans-Fat

You forgot about the two cats that live there. Next chapter might be about how the cats go about THEIR own day-to-day life. I hope not.

But i would love to see me Ayumu. Haven't seen her since her birthday arc, and I'm not even sure if she knows about this whole apartment situation. What is up with Wataru also? I haven't seen Isumi either. Nor Clause.
Trans-Fat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-01-20, 05:42   Link #7629
mitsuganae

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bastion_Arcion View Post
The Yaoi fans also got a few nibbles this chapter, with Kotetsu.
Hmm, I didn't know there are yaoi fans amongst this manga's readers. If there are any amongst this subforum's posters, please raise your hands now.
mitsuganae is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-01-20, 10:00   Link #7630
bhl88
Otaku Apprentice

Send a message via MSN to bhl88 Send a message via Yahoo to bhl88
Quote:
Hmm, I didn't know there are yaoi fans amongst this manga's readers. If there are any amongst this subforum's posters, please raise your hands now.
I like the part where the otakus were like:

Hayate: I-I'm a guy!
Otakus: ...
Robot: ...
Hayate: ...
Otaku1: Hell yeah!
Otaku2: A trap!!
Otaku3: It's a trapp!!!!!!!!!!!
Hayate: Oh god, everyone here is a pervert!
Kotetsu: We must protect the 3D little girls! Not to mention that tights and dat ass are mine!
Old 2011-01-20, 19:48   Link #7631
Used Can

Quote:
If there are any amongst this subforum's posters, please raise your hands now.
I like traps and I read mangas about them and enjoy the gay ends there.
Does that make me a yaoi fan?

If so, I'm raising my hand.
Old 2011-01-20, 19:55   Link #7632
Bastion_Arcion
*boot to the head*

Quote:
If there weren't any, than Kotetsu's romantic interest would have been dropped. Since it's actually been played with a few times, there's got to be a decent part of the fandom who wants to see it.

Some people may just want to see it for Hayate's reactions to him though. I know there's at least one of those around here.

Old 2011-01-20, 21:21   Link #7633
Trans-Fat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bastion_Arcion View Post
Some people may just want to see it for Hayate's reactions to him though. I know there's at least one of those around here.
I'm guilty of it. This just gave me an idea to use for my fanfiction.
Trans-Fat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-01-21, 09:59   Link #7634
Chaos2Frozen
We're Back

Quote:
And what's with Maria going tsundere? It's not exactly her character type, but then again, I might have missed that memo.
To me it's not so much that she's being tsundere, but rather she's just teasing him.
Chaos2Frozen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-01-21, 15:58   Link #7635
Mentar
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chaos2Frozen View Post
To me it's not so much that she's being tsundere, but rather she's just teasing him.
Yep, definitely. Which I find very enjoyable and refreshing, actually
Mentar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-01-21, 17:28   Link #7636
Bastion_Arcion
*boot to the head*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chaos2Frozen View Post
Maria is hardly teasing Hayate, as she's gone Tsundere without anyone else in the room to tease.
Horo of Spice and Wolf is more of a teasing type tsundere.

Old 2011-01-22, 20:26   Link #7637
Heiwatsuki

Why do you people take things so seriously and discuss the topic so thoroughly lol. l Not only that, so many people are so.... how do i say it, are like critics? example: when you go to a anime review thread, some people are so freaking specific on EVERY little thing. they write down EVERYTHING. and many expect the anime to progress normally, and by normally, i mean their view on the anime on first impressions( not neccesarily first impressions, but i cant remember the word for it. lets just say theres an action anime, and on one episode half the episode was comedy, a critic might give some dumb reason as to why it was not needed. my point is that people expect things to be normal all the time..). if theres any little thing that they think doesn't fit, they give it a reason based on their opinions. Example: on a toradora review, someone was an immense critic on the part where taiga and ami sing the christmas song, and since it didnt fit in with the overall story, he said that the makers are trying everything to get at our emotions and other things based on his opinions. Why cant you just enjoy it!.

I MEAN LOOK AT YOU PEOPLE DISCUSSING MARIA'S ACTS ABOUT ACTING LIKE A TSUNDERE. JUST BECAUSE SHE ACTED A TINY BIT OUT OF CHARACTER, YOU GO INTO SO MANY ASSUMPTIONS. UNLESS SOMETHING IS SERIOUSLY OUT OF PLACE, ENJOY IT.

Alright im done with my random whineing and pouting. pretend you didnt read that. I just feel better expressing how i feel... back to HAYATE NO GOTOKU.
--------------------------------

BTW i recently reread the athena arc and noticed... When athena was explaining to hayate what happened after hayate saved her, the manga showed parts of the person who took the kings power right? And it was Nagi's mother lolz. what a surprise... i need to pay more attention

Note: maria may have a bit of tsundere in her personality. In the past she hasnt had much reasons to act that way, there were a few times where she gave hayate that look before and was acting similar somewhat.. well either way, it couldive been either the author making maria tease hayate, or maria has a bit of tsundere in her and she hasnt shown it yet till now. and besides.... this is a manga, aka fiction. lolz. its not easy for 1 person to perfectly display multiple personalities and preferences that are not herself.
Old 2011-01-22, 20:50   Link #7638
Bastion_Arcion
*boot to the head*

Quote:
Originally Posted by xKou View Post
Maria may have a bit of tsundere in her personality. In the past she hasnt had much reasons to act that way, there were a few times where she gave hayate that look before and was acting similar somewhat.. well either way, it couldive been either the author making maria tease hayate, or maria has a bit of tsundere in her and she hasnt shown it yet till now. and besides.... this is a manga, aka fiction. lolz. its not easy for 1 person to perfectly display multiple personalities and preferences that are not herself.
Maria has a bit of tsundere in her personality from the beginning, she's just gotten so little character focus that it often needs to be blatant about it.
Also, one person display multiple personalities and preferences, see Hinagiku and Nagi most prominently.
Actually, most of the characters in the story have several personality types about them.

Old 2011-01-23, 10:59   Link #7639
Heiwatsuki

Quote:
Maria has a bit of tsundere in her personality from the beginning, she's just gotten so little character focus that it often needs to be blatant about it.
Also, one person display multiple personalities and preferences, see Hinagiku and Nagi most prominently.
Actually, most of the characters in the story have several personality types about them.
DUDE THATS IS PERFECT, YOU PERFECTLY CONVEYED MY THOUGHTS. WHAT YOU SAID WAS EXACTLY WHAT I WAS TRYING TO SAY . though the opinion of the author having trouble conveying multiple personalities or maria couldive been teasing still stands. But nothing is completely sure.
Old 2011-01-23, 15:51   Link #7640
Trans-Fat

Need some info in which I plan to use for my fanfiction:

1) The EOTW arc occurred 10 years prior to the storyline, right?
2) Hinagiku's parent's left her 10 yers prior, right?
3) The Royal garden was bought out by Mikado, right?
4) Isn't the site of the royal garden the current site for Hakuo Academy?
5) Was there a specific date when Hayate left the Royal Garden when he was young? If so, what dates?
6) Yukiji is how many years older than Hinagiku?

Tags
comedy, shounen