AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series

Notices

Old 2007-03-11, 06:55   Link #401
physics223
In the Tatami Galaxy ↓

I'd highly like to join in a discussion among people who are most probably fans of Honey and Clover, but I have decided to wait until all the subs have finished, then blitzing.

It will give me less angst because I won't have to wait for the next episode. :|
physics223 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-03-12, 09:19   Link #402
pyu
Crouchety Old Man

Send a message via MSN to pyu
I'm taking the anime in rather slowly, since I've read both the manga (its not really heavy stuff, quite light really, so I was able to cover the existing 16 volumes in 2 days) and watched the live action drama.

The anime now gives me a fresh perspective on things, though it would be even better if they could stop using stills for some of the scenes... I guess I've been spoiled by the acting in the live action.

Spoiler:

This latest episode reinforces a very real (though sad) point that classical music is rather niche nowadays. You might have the talent, but not the opportunites to become a professional musician...
Old 2007-03-12, 12:17   Link #403
aliensporebomb

Send a message via AIM to aliensporebomb Send a message via Yahoo to aliensporebomb
Exclamation Agreed...

Quote:
Originally Posted by pyu View Post

This latest episode reinforces a very real (though sad) point that classical music is rather niche nowadays. You might have the talent, but not the opportunites to become a professional musician...
It's not so much what you know but who you know.

If Nodame had come into that audition and blazed thru the piece she likely
would have gotten a very favorable evaluation by Nina.

At the same time, it's kind of a small world. Everyone knows everybody else
of importance or note and there's lots of people who don't get the renown
they might have get elsewhere. Lots of supporting players and a few very
well known uber-soloists.
Old 2007-03-14, 01:31   Link #404
Cal-Reflector

Was watching the first two episodes of Nodame Cantabile live action on youtube; was thrilled to see that so far, one reoccurring theme is George Gershwin's Raphsody in Blues, which is arguably my favorite piece of music of all time, and the first piece I learned to perform on the clarinet.

It is also the ending theme. I must say, the producers have really hit a home run with this idea.

Incidentally, Nodame Cantabile was the runaway victor for the last round of Television Drama Academy Awards. The runaway victor of the previous season was Kekkon Dekinai Otoko, a superior show in my opinion; both main characters have a hobby of listening to classical music alone however and cooking for themselves and keeping things orderly and are anal and vain and difficult to get along with despite their good looks.

On a related note: Can someone tell me where I might find episodes of the live action series? Youtube seems to have dried up beyond episode 2.
Old 2007-03-14, 01:40   Link #405
NoSanninWa
Weapon of Mass Discussion
*Fansubber

If you want Japanese drama, there is really only one place to go: D-Addicts

There's not that fine a line between willing suspension of disbelief and something just being stupid.
NoSanninWa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-03-14, 19:09   Link #406
Sorrow-K
Somehow I found out

Ep 8.

This show... is so awesome...

Just goes to show how easy it is to enjoy a show when it's filled with likable characters.
Sorrow-K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-03-14, 22:48   Link #407
Joojoobees

I finally got to see episode 8. It seems the story is getting deeper and more interesting. I was also struck by how much I enjoy that closing song.
Old 2007-03-15, 04:58   Link #408
Jazzrat
Bearly Legal

Episode 8 was quite something. Nodame staring at the PC on a raining day is quite creepy and disturbing. Chiaki continues to abuse Nodame as usual and Stresemann abusing Chiaki in a different way xD

Seems like there's more people that knows about Chiaki's fatal weakness than i first assumed. It's a very nice episode that moves the story on a bit further, i'm looking forward to finding out what Stresemann said to Nodame that made her latched harder to Chiaki.

(btw, does anyone knows that piece that the director played during Stresemann's flashback?)
Old 2007-03-15, 11:58   Link #409
Cal-Reflector

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jazzrat View Post
(btw, does anyone knows that piece that the director played during Stresemann's flashback?)
Chopin Nocturne OP. 55: Part 1 in F minor.

I too was hooked by that bit, but could only deduce that it was Chopin; then went browsing through my library of Chopin piano solos, beginning with the Nocturnes... then found it.

One of those things where you couldn't sleep until you found a song, you know.
Old 2007-03-15, 19:22   Link #410
Theowne
耳をすませば

Quote:
On a related note: Can someone tell me where I might find episodes of the live action series?
NoSanninWa posted the link for it, and if you need them, S-Projects has the softsubs for all the files on that site. http://www.s-projects.org. I agree with you about the live action and how they used classical music to open and close, and underscore the shows. I love Rhapsody in Blue as well. And the actors are very good in the live action.

Episode 8 was another great episode, and brings the story to a part I really like, with Chiaki doing Rachmaninoff with the A-Oke. But I don't recall the vacation or trip they were talking about at the end occuring in the live action. Must be from the manga (which I would read if people would return their books to the library so others could read them....)

My Site - Reviews collection, Sheet music, and etc.
Anime reviews/blog, piano arrangements, Studio Ghibli..
Theowne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-03-15, 20:21   Link #411
pyu
Crouchety Old Man

Send a message via MSN to pyu
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jazzrat View Post
Episode 8 was quite something. Nodame staring at the PC on a raining day is quite creepy and disturbing. Chiaki continues to abuse Nodame as usual and Stresemann abusing Chiaki in a different way xD
Well...
Spoiler:

And at this stage...

Spoiler:
Old 2007-03-15, 22:19   Link #412
Jewelray

Send a message via AIM to Jewelray
Quote:
Originally Posted by Theowne View Post
Episode 8 was another great episode, and brings the story to a part I really like, with Chiaki doing Rachmaninoff with the A-Oke. But I don't recall the vacation or trip they were talking about at the end occuring in the live action. Must be from the manga (which I would read if people would return their books to the library so others could read them....)
A lot of episode 8 seemed different than the live action and I really liked it. I loved the bit with the chairman being fat (I don't think that was in the drama, or at least I don't remember it...) The betting with Euros on Stressman leaving made me laugh.

College age Stressman was pretty good looking O_O
Jewelray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-03-16, 01:22   Link #413
Jazzrat
Bearly Legal

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cal-Reflector View Post
Chopin Nocturne OP. 55: Part 1 in F minor.

I too was hooked by that bit, but could only deduce that it was Chopin; then went browsing through my library of Chopin piano solos, beginning with the Nocturnes... then found it.

One of those things where you couldn't sleep until you found a song, you know.
Thanks

I understand how you feel, i had a wasted a lot of time looking for musics that got stuck in my head myself and it's like an itch that won't go away till you find it

Quote:
Originally Posted by pyu
I'm not sure if any of the viewers realise the extent of Nodame's talent with the piano, since we only get bits and pieces of her performances. When we get to her arc, it will become apparent that she has some bad experiences in her childhood and well, is a child prodigy who has lost her way.
I think it's quite obvious when Stresemann first came and was snooping around the school. Only Nodame got complimented by him. He also told the director that there's another one that needs his help other than Chiaki. With 23 episode, hopefully it will get to that part (i don't read the manga so i don't know how much more there is in it).

It would be kinda sad not to have a Nodame arc or a 2nd season of this
Old 2007-03-16, 02:14   Link #414
Townsocks

Good Lord I swear I've heard the OP to this before...does anyone know if it's based on anything?
Townsocks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-03-16, 02:22   Link #415
goku888

Quote:
Originally Posted by physics223 View Post
I'd highly like to join in a discussion among people who are most probably fans of Honey and Clover, but I have decided to wait until all the subs have finished, then blitzing.

It will give me less angst because I won't have to wait for the next episode. :|

blitz the live action
goku888 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-03-16, 11:37   Link #416
leongsh
Daijoubu!

Episode 10. S Orchestra playing "Rhapsody in Blue" with Nodame in the lead. For the win!!! Next episode, it's Chiaki's turn with Rachmaninoff.

Damn, I'm really enjoying how the show is developing.
leongsh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-03-16, 11:45   Link #417
Deathkillz
~ You're dead ^__^* ~
*Graphic Designer

Send a message via MSN to Deathkillz
ep 10 ~
Spoiler:

Siggy: hohohohoho~ | AnimeHistory welcome to our blog ~ | Summer2009 early review
Under the radar series Summer2009: Kanamemo, GA Geijutsuka Art, NEEDLESS
Deathkillz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-03-16, 14:54   Link #418
BBOvenGuy
Math Ninja
*Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by leongsh View Post
Episode 10. S Orchestra playing "Rhapsody in Blue" with Nodame in the lead.
Yeah, except that she wasn't at the piano. She just had that keyboard thing that you blow into. Did the soundtrack still have a piano sound, or did it sound like whatever that thing sounds like?
BBOvenGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-03-16, 14:58   Link #419
leongsh
Daijoubu!

Quote:
Originally Posted by BBOvenGuy View Post
Yeah, except that she wasn't at the piano. She just had that keyboard thing that you blow into. Did the soundtrack still have a piano sound, or did it sound like whatever that thing sounds like?
No piano used. She's using a melodica wind keyboard and yes, that's what you hear. She also riffs with it too.
leongsh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-03-16, 15:15   Link #420
BBOvenGuy
Math Ninja
*Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by leongsh View Post
No piano used. She's using a melodica wind keyboard and yes, that's what you hear. She also riffs with it too.
I've never seen one of those before, so now I'm very curious. I have no idea what they sound like.
BBOvenGuy is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
comedy, nodame cantabile, noitamina, romance