AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > General > Video Games

Notices

Old 2014-02-25, 04:27   Link #121
Vladrave
The Dark Slayer

The game is getting very mixed reviews and i just recently have seen the ending of the game. It sucks.

*sigh

After all that hype since that awesome CGI trailer......
Whatever. I'm still getting the game and enjoy it for what it is.
Vladrave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-02-25, 15:06   Link #122
Tyabann
Homo Ludens

Why does the ending matter in a video game? All it means is that you have to stop playing.
Tyabann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-02-25, 15:42   Link #123
Chaos2Frozen
We're Back

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaisos Erranon View Post
Why does the ending matter in a video game? All it means is that you have to stop playing.
By that logic, the ending of a movie just means that you have stopped watching.

Last edited by Chaos2Frozen; 2014-02-25 at 15:52.
Chaos2Frozen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-02-27, 13:52   Link #124
Yorae_paladin1

I discovered a glitch in arts district while chasing the hooded man. When you get to the part where you have to use huge gas tank as a make shift rocket DO NOT I REPEAT DO NOT go down after turning on the power for the fan if you do and it shuts off well you try twice and it will glitch out and take you out of the game. at least for me

This happened to me but the work around is use the makeshift rocket immediately after going up it worked for me after some experimenting.

revisiting this room also causes so avoid it. this happens in xbox 360
"I do not hate you. I do not think your a monster just another species trying to live like us humans. If there is a monster in this world its nature itself for wanting and allowing spectacles of death and destruction."

Neo Human Angelus Von Doom to Abyssal Riful before there battle. My fic saga revelations of the past title Advent Rising
Yorae_paladin1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-02-27, 14:49   Link #125
Tyabann
Homo Ludens

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chaos2Frozen View Post
By that logic, the ending of a movie just means that you have stopped watching.
Movies don't have gameplay though? That's a terrible comparison.
Stories in games are absolutely meaningless, and most of them are extremely bad anyway.
Here's the question you should be asking: Is the game fun?
Old 2014-02-27, 15:12   Link #126
Chaos2Frozen
We're Back

Quote:
Movies don't have gameplay though? That's a terrible comparison.
Stories in games are absolutely meaningless, and most of them are extremely bad anyway.
Here's the question you should be asking: Is the game fun?
Games are an experience, just like movies. And what makes up that experience is both the gameplay AND the story.

Just because the story isn't a masterpiece you assume that people can't be invested into the plot and characters?

Last edited by Chaos2Frozen; 2014-02-27 at 15:24.
Old 2014-02-27, 15:53   Link #127
Tyabann
Homo Ludens

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chaos2Frozen View Post
Games are an experience, just like movies. And what makes up that experience is both the gameplay AND the story.
Listen, I don't disagree but a storyline should always, always come second to gameplay. Always.
Always.
Old 2014-02-27, 16:01   Link #128
Chaos2Frozen
We're Back

Quote:
Listen, I don't disagree but a storyline should always, always come second to gameplay. Always.
Always.
Yes I agree, however all I'm saying is that I can also understand why a disappointing conclusion might sour an experience for some.

That's really about it, sorry for the off topic.
Old 2014-02-27, 18:39   Link #129
Vladrave
The Dark Slayer

I guess i'll have to explain myself.

The Lords of Shadow saga is the first castlevania game with an actual good story. The protagonist is also one of the rare characters in castlevania that is actually good, especially as Dracula he is not as one dimensional as before. They have raised the stakes higher with the first game's ending, and Cox in his twitter keeps saying "Oh the sequel's story is gonna be epic, oh this will be an epic conclusion to the trilogy". I love the LoS timeline more so than the first one, which is convoluted as hell. So seeing how they ended this game and also finally give closure to Dracula's character disappointed me to no end. It's all so underwhelming or probably my expectations are just so high. Even the final fight is wacksauce all over the place.

Spoiler for final fight:

I'm already played 6 hours of the game and i liked the combat but the stealth mechanic is just shitty and unnecessary even.
Old 2014-02-27, 19:41   Link #130
Yorae_paladin1

Spoiler:

The stealth mechanic is cool look dracs at the beginning cannot scratch a golgoth guard sides dracula was scary due some nasty stealth abilities in legend. only shitty stealth part is a certain horned monster
"I do not hate you. I do not think your a monster just another species trying to live like us humans. If there is a monster in this world its nature itself for wanting and allowing spectacles of death and destruction."

Neo Human Angelus Von Doom to Abyssal Riful before there battle. My fic saga revelations of the past title Advent Rising
Old 2014-02-28, 06:27   Link #131
Vladrave
The Dark Slayer

Spoiler:
Old 2014-02-28, 10:15   Link #132
Yorae_paladin1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vladrave View Post
Spoiler:
Spoiler:

Old 2014-02-28, 16:54   Link #133
Vladrave
The Dark Slayer

Spoiler:
Old 2014-02-28, 17:05   Link #134
Yorae_paladin1

Quote:
Spoiler:
Spoiler:

Spoiler:

Old 2014-03-01, 02:07   Link #135
Vladrave
The Dark Slayer

Ignoring this whole Satan vs Dracula stuff, we already know who is the winner and Satan got his ass kicked. Period.

I got something more interesting to share. Someone in GAF translated a mercury steam employee post:

Quote:
Well, I would like to shed some light over the development of this game... Working with Mercury Steam -and I would like to tell this anonymously- is about an everyday frustration. Here's to every guy that has experienced hell during the development of this game, but especially to those who have led this to the mess that Lords of Shadows 2 is:

- Kojima had little to nothing to do with the development of the first game, he came by, set a seal, visited the studio, signed some things and that was it. He had even less to do with Mirror of Fate and LoS2.

The vast majority of this team is aware that the game we've done is a real piece of shit that has nothing to do with the first one's quality and production values... Nobody is surprised by the low reviews we've got.

- If there's someone to blame here, that's Enric Álvarez. He is the person who has led a broken development based on his personal criteria, completely overlooking programmers, designers and artists. Despite his nice look to the press, often considered as some sort of creative "visionary" in the looks of David Cage and Molyneux, this guy has serious problems. He is a mean and naughty guy, and since the "success Lords of Shadows 1" his ego has grown to the point of not even daring to say 'hello' when you meet him in the hallway.

His distrust to his own workers is enormous. Most of the development team often found out features of the game through press news, rather than from the studio's head - unbelievable. And there is no corporate culture here at all... this is just a handful of people working blindly and at the disposal of an alleged visionary.

- The studio's internal structure is archaic, still based on the old partners of the Scrapland days. I'll give you an example so you can see the full picture: the studio's signature engine (one with many flaws) was solely coded by two guys, one of them being a founder of the company and Enric's confident. Access for the new programmers to the source code to update or refurbish the engine is denied, so things are still done in a 10-year-old fashion.

- Many of the studio founders are people with zero abilities for running a studio. Often here newbie developers know more than their own bosses. This structure only leads to a slow, messy and absurd development process, with the end result of Lords of Shadows 2 being a perfect example of what happens due to that.

- Absolutely every design idea has to be monitored, taken away and mutilated by Enric Álvarez. Several game designers have grown tired of this and have abandoned the studio.

- The art direction for this project has been erratic and beheaded. After Enric dismissed every idea and core decission from our main art director for the previous projects, he decided to just leave. It was a battle of egos unleashed by Enric (something that he has carried over with since his times in Rebel Act). Our now former art director is still working in Madrid, now with the Tequila guys making RIME.

- Many others have just turned to other studios offers, sick of the situation here. Almost every month we see fellow devs packing up and getting out of here looking for a new job abroad -that's sad-. It's amazing how the biggest AAA game developer in Spain is not even willing to make its workers a counteroffer. This company does not think highly of its talented workers and their good work. There has never been any kind of salary bonus or anything that remotely resembles it. Not even a single "Good job team!" acknowledgement.

- The production management for this project has been terrible, way often the heads of each department dismissed every production deadline and imposed their own criteria. As a result, the development was delayed for six months, and that investment only came out of MercurySteam's pockets.

Many can't help comparing this situation to something similar that already happened in a company in which many of us worked: Pyro Studios (the team behind the Commandos saga). The QA department is treated like cattle, with shameful wages and almost everyday bullying.

- Expectations for our future are quite bad... with a publisher like Konami really upset after the mediocre game we've made.

- After completing Lords of Shadows 2 MercurySteam has fired 35 workers, and it's embarrasing that no website or journalist is talking about that. More firings are expected to come in the following days.

- And finally, because not everything is bad in here, I wanted to say that the real team behind this company is an incredible bunch of people. If all those guys who are not allowed to be promoted due to our Jurassic studio leads had the chance to set the course of the company, our future would be so bright. There's just so much passion and talent here, more than I've ever seen anywhere else, but it's completely held back. I really hope that those who read this understand what we've lived here. Someone has to say this so it is not lost in time after the game's launch.

Thank you for reading me.

Last edited by Vladrave; 2014-03-01 at 02:19.
Old 2014-03-01, 03:07   Link #136
Angelic Cross
Soul-eating Librarian

Quote:
Ignoring this whole Satan vs Dracula stuff, we already know who is the winner and Satan got his ass kicked. Period.

I got something more interesting to share. Someone in GAF translated a mercury steam employee post:

Yeesh. So it's basically the problems with the game were from a situation that can be described as Dennis Dyack 2: Electric Boogaloo?
Angelic Cross is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-03-01, 08:00   Link #137
felix
sleepyhead
*Author

That thing was (a) never confirmed (b) comes from a random post on a forum so could be a clever troll (c) the possibility of a disgruntled QA employee hasn't been eliminated.

Personally I don't think it's such a bad game as the person in question claims. I actually quite enjoyed it.

Quote:
Always.
Never. Never. Never. (for RPG's anyway)

It's all subjective.
Old 2014-03-01, 13:02   Link #138
ZGoten
Custom User Title

Send a message via ICQ to ZGoten
So, I'm one hour into the game and so far I'm quite impressed. A couple of things worth mentioning: As opposed to the first Lords of Shadow, which had a pretty slow start, this game kicks of with some good action and a set piece moment from the beginning. I've heard that the factory level, which I just entered, slows the game down a lot afterwards, but I'll have to see about that. What I also like is the free roaming camera. Battles and platforming sections benefit a lot from that. Speaking of platforming, I also love the fact that the animations for climbing and jumping are a lot quicker now, making the whole progress feel more dynamic and less tedious. The little indicators that show where to go diminish the effects of some unclear paths on top of that. In addition to that, I absolutely love that despite the little wheel thingy, I haven't come across any quick-time-events in cutscenes. And if you happen to miss those, loading times are practically non-existant. The game quickly throws you back into the action. I also enjoy the long cutscenes so far.

All that being said, I've seen the reviews and scores, but something just doesn't feel right with them. I've seen a couple of reviews now, critizising the game for not being anything special and then giving it a 60, when the tone of the article or video clearly hinted toward a 75 to 80. I'll have to see and make up my own mind. So far, the game has gotten rid of some of the flaws of the first one, and I'm really enjoying it. And this game seems to continue the tradition of getting better as time goes on if the reviews are correct about that. One thing though: I really hope there aren't too many stealth sections in the game.
Old 2014-03-01, 19:30   Link #139
kenjiharima
Mizore-chan

Now I'm mixed if I should buy this, I got the first one.

Endings should be rewarding, but if it's part of the story then oh well...
Old 2014-03-01, 19:45   Link #140
felix
sleepyhead
*Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZGoten View Post
All that being said, I've seen the reviews and scores, but something just doesn't feel right with them. I've seen a couple of reviews now, critizising the game for not being anything special and then giving it a 60, when the tone of the article or video clearly hinted toward a 75 to 80.
They used reviewer science:
  • -1 for not being in line with the darksouls bandwagon and having colorful levels
  • -1 for having a continuous coherent story (ie. requiring to at least look up the previous games), what were the devs thinking for forgetting that the poor reviewers who get the game for free only played "1h of the first game"reviewer quote fuck that minority of people that actually buy the game and are unlikely to buy it with out knowledge of the story of the first
  • -1 for not having "hey this is puzzle, you solve it using your mist ability" giant hint messages for 2 puzzles in the game; gamers use their heads and remember the OTHER tutorials where the game teaches you to use it, what's this world coming to!
  • -1 because they can't talk about their "open world" pipe dream that in reality just boils down to shitty combat, walking simulators and theme park mmo side-questing and because Dracula-Gabriel was not the cheezy movie dracula they were expecting due to not having played nor looked up the other games
6/10

/sarcasm