Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Related Topics > Manga

Notices

Old 2015-09-19, 01:32   Link #7821
Mach56gs
Do-Gooder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Starway View Post
Sadly your a minority notice how all the other fanboys are not defending her with stuff like how she's change or that she made a mistake no it's Souma fault for being rude and his food just wasn't good enough or that she'd definitely pass if he was nicer or that he passed anyways so she's completely excused from rejecting someone because she dislike them.
Woah, as clarification, I am not making Erina to be some goddess of purity. I just took up the argument because I considered the mood to be very critical of Erina to the point where people contested that she had no moral compass.

@Log

You basically nailed it with all of your points. I personally couldn't agree more. Except...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Log View Post
It's telling that even when Souma has proven himself to be one of the better 1st years, she still won't acknowledge that Souma's a decent cook.
Erina hasn't tasted any of his food as of right now. I'm pretty sure she would have a different opinion. Look forward to that revelation :P

But I think she has unconsciously acknowledged his skill.
Old 2015-09-19, 01:36   Link #7822
DOmus
天国無事故
*Artist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Starway View Post
Sadly your a minority notice how all the other fanboys are not defending her with stuff like how she's change or that she made a mistake no it's Souma fault for being rude and his food just wasn't good enough or that she'd definitely pass if he was nicer or that he passed anyways so she's completely excused from rejecting someone because she dislike them. If you like a character you have to except their flaws as well as their good traits do half the Erina fans here even like the character from the manga or just the perfect girl with no flaws that they made up in their heads I personally never really hated her that much more her fan base trying to excuse her actions but she change quite a bit since chapter 2 and I'm beginning to like her character now really hope they don't over do the damsel in distress plot line well anyways we're talking about something from the start of the manga let's stop talking about it.
For the first one, if I were in her place, I would have liked him to have a better approach(though it kinda hard for him to act like that given how she talked to him, but still), but there is no need to go so deep into that since there are many ways to talk about it that will end not satisfying one faction or the other.

For the other part, you and I know it will be mentioned till she is "fixed".
Old 2015-09-19, 01:37   Link #7823
Dysprosium
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mach56gs View Post
Erina hasn't tasted any of his food as of right now. I'm pretty sure she would have a different opinion. Look forward to that revelation :P

But I think she has unconsciously acknowledged his skill.
Patently false. He did give her his peppered buns, you know? I don't believe she'd be "heartless" enough to throw the entire bag of it away, w/o even having a single bite [of it].

Yes, I've said it a million times, Erina's opinion on Souma has greatly changed, after the AE. This was mentioned by the author himself, at a recent stage event.
Dysprosium is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2015-09-19, 01:43   Link #7824
Krono

Quote:
Originally Posted by theshade1 View Post
I cannot believe this forum is still talking about the incident from the first few chaps. Literally none of the characters give a shit about it, it was a very minor thing in the larger scheme of things, and it will never get brought up again. Only this forum seems to have a huge boner about that incident, when it means fuk all for the overall story.
It's still talked about because first impressions are quite strong, and that was part of Erina's initial character establishment as an arrogant girl who looked down on "commoner" food and disliked Souma for coming in and challenging her prejudices. While that specific incident wasn't repeatedly brought up or anything heavy handed like that, the "dislikes Souma" and "dislikes 'commoner' food" traits do carry onwards. Her dislike of certain types of food such as dons was clearly shown to be motivating her pursuit of destroying certain clubs like the Don RS. Combined with her dislike of Souma, it's clearly a significant part of the reason she disowned Ikumi after Ikumi lost to Souma and joined the Don RS. Her dislike of Souma stemming from that incident at the start even led to her protesting Souma's inclusion in the Autumn Election after it had already been decided, something for which she was called out on.

Yes, she's improved since the start of the AE. Souma's results in them speak for themselves and it's basically impossible for her to deny Souma's skill after he survived training camp, came in second in the AE, and survived the stagiaire. That does not make the events of her introduction and her subsequent actions and treatment irrelevant to her character. It's just too big a part of her character for the first 60 or so chapters of the manga to forget about. Especially as the story itself looks to be gearing up to address the source behind Erina's prejudice against certain types of cooking, as well as tell us what Senzaemon was up to in the first few chapters.
Krono is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2015-09-19, 01:54   Link #7825
theshade1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Krono View Post
It's still talked about because first impressions are quite strong, and that was part of Erina's initial character establishment as an arrogant girl who looked down on "commoner" food and disliked Souma for coming in and challenging her prejudices. While that specific incident wasn't repeatedly brought up or anything heavy handed like that, the "dislikes Souma" and "dislikes 'commoner' food" traits do carry onwards. Her dislike of certain types of food such as dons was clearly shown to be motivating her pursuit of destroying certain clubs like the Don RS. Combined with her dislike of Souma, it's clearly a significant part of the reason she disowned Ikumi after Ikumi lost to Souma and joined the Don RS. Her dislike of Souma stemming from that incident at the start even led to her protesting Souma's inclusion in the Autumn Election after it had already been decided, something for which she was called out on.

Yes, she's improved since the start of the AE. Souma's results in them speak for themselves and it's basically impossible for her to deny Souma's skill after he survived training camp, came in second in the AE, and survived the stagiaire. That does not make the events of her introduction and her subsequent actions and treatment irrelevant to her character. It's just too big a part of her character for the first 60 or so chapters of the manga to forget about. Especially as the story itself looks to be gearing up to address the source behind Erina's prejudice against certain types of cooking, as well as tell us what Senzaemon was up to in the first few chapters.
But see here's the thing, all those actions are actually very minor and irrelevant. Yes this arc's gonna delve into why her character's like that but aside from not accepting Souma into the academy, every other action was just your typical rival stuff.

It's just that imo if one were to browse this forum it gives the illusion that her actions in the first few chapters was a major event and inexcusably evil, when it really wasn't. It was just a baseline for her character, which would change as she would interact with Soma and other students.
theshade1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2015-09-19, 02:30   Link #7826
Calca
Expressionless

Quote:
Originally Posted by sasoras View Post
double etendre mate, an erina fan defending the position by bringing it up and an Erina hater mentioning it are the same thing, on this thread both of those thing have happened, excuses are not needed in hating a character, hating one is very easy.
lol that's not a double entendre at all. A double entendre is something completely different and is more like a phrase that give two different interpretations of a phrase, usually one of them is sexual. An example of one would be let's say a hypothetical boxer:

Boxer: "He came at me and I came right back at him. I came right back in his face."

One would be the literal meaning, and the other would be the more "risque" meaning. That is a double entendre.
Calca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2015-09-19, 12:45   Link #7827
sasoras

Quote:
Originally Posted by Calca View Post
lol that's not a double entendre at all. A double entendre is something completely different and is more like a phrase that give two different interpretations of a phrase, usually one of them is sexual. An example of one would be let's say a hypothetical boxer:

Boxer: "He came at me and I came right back at him. I came right back in his face."

One would be the literal meaning, and the other would be the more "risque" meaning. That is a double entendre.
I know the definition, I was more focused on the "word or phrases that can be interpreted in two ways", and it not always sexual hence usually was shown in the definition you provided.

I don't know a singular word that expresses the similar thing so i used the closest one i know of. If it was used wrongly that's fine, thanks for informing me.

But my main point got across anyways, so all is well.

Last edited by sasoras; 2015-09-19 at 12:57.
sasoras is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2015-09-19, 15:05   Link #7828
Nvis
Where are the good animes

Nakiri gramps and Souma, the new alliance!

Speculation: Bet will be Souma vs. Mind-raped-Erina in a Shokugeki to kick out evil Nakiri father director.
With Jouichiro as spectator.

Then the love-love-dere happens!
Nvis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2015-09-19, 22:56   Link #7829
rantaid

f* ing Aizen.

you can recruit your group of traitor, you can rape and mindrape erina like i care, you can usurp your grampsmand rule over the whole stupid school.

But you just don't fire the best secretary that even i would kill to have like hisako-tan! that is for f* sake a god damn blasphemy!
rantaid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2015-09-19, 23:42   Link #7830
DOmus
天国無事故
*Artist

Quote:
Originally Posted by rantaid View Post
f* ing Aizen.

you can recruit your group of traitor, you can rape and mindrape erina like i care, you can usurp your grampsmand rule over the whole stupid school.

But you just don't fire the best secretary that even i would kill to have like hisako-tan! that is for f* sake a god damn blasphemy!
Might as well make a folder of Hisako and stop reading the manga
Old 2015-09-20, 02:07   Link #7831
rantaid

i'll make one if it is that easy. Why do H material of best girls nowadays are sooooo hard!?

first, blind Latifa from amagi was very rare, then mind break shinoa from owari seraph was non existant, rape of lili from danmachi ....

ps. tosh has quite talent in Netorare, Blackmail, Mindbreak genre it seems...., i never enjoy tosh doujin because he often dabble in boring harem vanilla..... but now i hope he return to make doujin material of shokugeki sohma.

If Im Dal Young can make both clean and dirty version of FreeIng, why can't tosh made one?
Old 2015-09-20, 07:19   Link #7832
DOmus
天国無事故
*Artist

Quote:
Originally Posted by rantaid View Post
i'll make one if it is that easy. Why do H material of best girls nowadays are sooooo hard!?

first, blind Latifa from amagi was very rare, then mind break shinoa from owari seraph was non existant, rape of lili from danmachi ....

ps. tosh has quite talent in Netorare, Blackmail, Mindbreak genre it seems...., i never enjoy tosh doujin because he often dabble in boring harem vanilla..... but now i hope he return to make doujin material of shokugeki sohma.

If Im Dal Young can make both clean and dirty version of FreeIng, why can't tosh made one?
Well, almost every character in SnS has a similarity with one of the characters in his previou work(Erina with the mc of Menkui's maids story, Yoshino and Sakaki from a short story and other ones with some variations of boobs size) so its kinda enjoyable too read his work given that its from the glorious vanilla kingdom. So I kinda disagree with you on this.

Regarding the other series, I guess its easy as hell to find rape/mindbreak/ those things from LAtifah, given that almost 90% of Amagi doujins are from that category. From Lili, well, I guess nobody cares about her :v

Last edited by DOmus; 2015-09-20 at 07:39.
DOmus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2015-09-20, 08:48   Link #7833
rantaid

Blind Latifah, B-L-I-N-D Latifah. as in the description of its Light Novel, not the anime.

what i am trying to say is... Tosh has developed so much in writing character, hence if he write h- doujin again, it would not feel boring same as usual plot. not just because the vanilla, it just... welll everything he draw has too few significant difference, which made the plot and story quite stale. from a lucky young master with numerous boobs maid, or the one with alive dutch wife or something which.... well not like other doujinka who has interesting story telling whether it is consensual or non consensual theme... like airxgra who transformed gary stu fiesta material like SAO into interesting plotline.
Old 2015-09-20, 08:50   Link #7834
M.A.D

Quote:
Originally Posted by Log View Post
Shinomiya had a wrongly conceived notion of how to cook but he didn't fail Megumi because he disliked her personally. In Erina's case she had a obvious bias against Souma's type of cooking and a obvious dislike of Souma.

She didn't purposely sabotage him but she grade him with a biased scale which a judge never should do. Assuming Souma, came from a respected restaurant, didn't try to show Erina up and created the same dish do you really think Erina would've failed him? The dish had little to nothing to do with it, it had everything to do with how Souma acted. Granted it was partially Souma's fault but Erina as a judge shouldn't have failed him based on her own bias.

This wasn't a competition against Erina, it isn't like her standards are so high that she thinks that all chefs that aren't a least as good as her are trash. She's a least willing to acknowledge those that have talent or skill as being worthy of Totsuki even if they are below her. And again you're assuming that for some reason or another Erina thinks Souma's food doesn't match up to her arbitrary standards when nothing she said or thought indicates that and everything indicates that she failed him because she disliked him. It's telling that even when Souma has proven himself to be one of the better 1st years, she still won't acknowledge that Souma's a decent cook.
So, to sum up, your whole argument is that Erina is biased against Souma, and because of that she purposely failed him in the first test, and that's bad. Well, there's a word for that, it's called being a tsundere. You can judge Erina by the prestige and class that she presented, or the skills and responsibility that she possess, however, in foundation she is still a 15-year-old kid.

Take into account her talent in judging and her personal responsibility in tasting highclass food for prestigious adults that other kinds of adults can't even dream of, and her own half-way developing age, what results from that would be a pride that borderlined inflated-ego in her own value as a judge, and strict working ethics that meets the standard of world-class gourmets. Now, putting all that into a 15 year old girl, what do we get? A severely constricted personality in freedom of self-expression. In other words, her own personality is being suppressed by her work.

You can see examples of this assumption all over the manga. I don't remember exact chapters, but the when Souma defeated Nakiri Alice, Erina had said with hidden envy taht it's nice to be able to cry selfishly like Alice - something she'd never be able to do herself due to the responsibility of keeping up the image of a professional gourmet critic. Another moment would be after the Stagiare period was over, and Erina stood alone while looking out a window into the ground where Souma and friends walked with each other. There actually were more than one scene like that, but one was enough to make a clear point of how Erina was actually a lonely kid, with accquaintances her age being only Alice and Hisako - which I should add that Alice isn't usually around while Hisako isn't acting like a friend but more of a servant most of the time.

Which brings us to my original point, that Erina is a kid. A 15-year-old teenager is a kid, if you want to judge her by reality's standard (Otherwise just let her blunder go as the manga's joke). Being a teengager, yet she grew up with severely heavy adult responsibilities and a fatally lack of friendly peers. Her cousin was in Europe, her only friend never acted like one, and the only other people she knew are working-adults. One of whom is her evil dad. A girl like that living in an environment like that, it's apparent that there aren't many opportunities for Erina to display her own inner self and personality, i.e. her likes and dislikes.

And then came Souma, a boy so vastly irresponsible and happy-go-lucky, and the very first person aside from people she knew who treated her not as a god, but a normal person. Naturally, her first reaction was to be offended that a plebian had considered her esteemed self as his equal, but that gap was what make her let her guard down for the first time in who knew how long - and the result: Instead of judging his dish professionally like the little princess she was raised to be, she selfishly expressed her unreserved dislike for Souma and his food, and dumped him like a spoiled brat that she was.

I daresay, that was the first and only selfish, self-espressional, teenage-like act that Erina had done in a very, very long time. You were right in saying that she discarded her professionalism and went biased towards Souma's dish, and I'm not saying she was in the right for doing what she did. What I'm saying that it's perfectly excusable to do that, and with just that action, Erina as a manga character has experienced her very first character-development from the very first chapter, and that is a rare and precious thing.

"If thou find thy neighbor trying to touch thy loli, thine right for crotch related violence is justified. Thou dost unleash upon those foolish lot thy righteous fury.

If in which the unlucky knaves miss death's sweet release, upon the males, a change of fate shall befall them. For they shall become "man-woman", harbingers of doom & fashionable clothing tastes."

--From the Book of Haulia
M.A.D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2015-09-21, 00:33   Link #7835
Darkbacon
The Masked Panties

Quote:
Originally Posted by M.A.D;5653792[B
]and with just that action, Erina as a manga character has experienced her very first character-development from the very first chapter, and that is a rare and precious thing.[/B]
But that didn't happen until the 3rd chapter

Moving on though I do wonder since in the beginning they just talked about her upbringing a little bit with just her having profoundly sensitive taste buds but never really talked about in detail how she had gotten to her position and the troubles she had gone through when Aizen(Bleach) found out and therefor I say used her as an experiment to teach his way of cooking to her since to me it seems that she was brought up very strictly since you can tell how she acts when tasting dishes. I also wonder how Jouichirou came into the picture? Maybe him and Aizen shared the same view of food at one point and that had him invite him over to cook/teach Erina so she could learn how to cook similar to them.
Old 2015-09-21, 01:01   Link #7836
sasoras

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darkbacon View Post
Maybe him and Aizen shared the same view of food at one point and that had him invite him over to cook/teach Erina so she could learn how to cook similar to them.
doubtful since by that time Jounichiro already had Souma, which means the wife was already changed him.

Besides we already know Jounichiro and Senzaemon have a connection.

Makes more sense for rivalry between Azami and Joun, besides they don't need to have the same ideals they just have to be good chefs right.
sasoras is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2015-09-21, 01:26   Link #7837
Fwarlord

Suppose Erina obtained her biased view in cuisine from Azami's twisted teaching, there's noway Senzaemon didn't realize this. And yet he still did nothing to correct her biased view, instead, he gave her all the power she had to judge other chefs using the twisted philosophy her dad taught her. Does this mean the old man secretly agree with his son's point of view? If so, he's just as guilty as him and the upcoming arc to decide who will be the director is basically useless since there's no difference between them.
Old 2015-09-21, 02:06   Link #7838
DOmus
天国無事故
*Artist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fwarlord View Post
Suppose Erina obtained her biased view in cuisine from Azami's twisted teaching, there's noway Senzaemon didn't realize this. And yet he still did nothing to correct her biased view, instead, he gave her all the power she had to judge other chefs using the twisted philosophy her dad taught her. Does this mean the old man secretly agree with his son's point of view? If so, he's just as guilty as him and the upcoming arc to decide who will be the director is basically useless since there's no difference between them.
SO she was trained (in a bad way, but still trained)to judge the most expensive and gourmet food in the world(as seen throught out the manga) but he has to force her to learn and appreciate "commoner food" or things out of her social surroundings just because? At this point, its her decision if she wants or not at some point in the future.
As seen in her interactions with Soma, there is no way someone outside from those rich people could pay for her services, so why not keep training her in a secure and mentally safe way(something that Azami might not have done) to improve in her field insteas of moving for something that in a realistic way, might never do?

Plus, outside of that time with Soma, her way to judges food has been top notch and recognized, so its not like she is doing something wrong about that.
Old 2015-09-21, 07:28   Link #7839
Fwarlord

Quote:
Originally Posted by DOmus View Post
SO she was trained (in a bad way, but still trained)to judge the most expensive and gourmet food in the world(as seen throught out the manga) but he has to force her to learn and appreciate "commoner food" or things out of her social surroundings just because? At this point, its her decision if she wants or not at some point in the future.
As seen in her interactions with Soma, there is no way someone outside from those rich people could pay for her services, so why not keep training her in a secure and mentally safe way(something that Azami might not have done) to improve in her field insteas of moving for something that in a realistic way, might never do?

Plus, outside of that time with Soma, her way to judges food has been top notch and recognized, so its not like she is doing something wrong about that.
Except she's a renown judge whom judging big competitions where candidates with various backgrounds participate will become a common thing to, and in my humble opinion (maybe even foolish in Erina's and her supporter's eyes), a judge must be equal and isn't allowed to be biased against any kind of candidate or product. More importantly, the old man made her an examiner for his academy's entrance exam. That way, he guaranteed that no "commoner" chef without the direct connect to the school's leadership can pass the exam, no matter how talent he was. Well, maybe that school has an unspoken rule that only students with prestige background or backup from influential people can study there, but foolish peasants didn't know it and still enrolled just to be kicked out mercilessly? If so, I think letting a younger Hitler be the director is actually better than an older one, since they share the same mindset but the older one's gone senile and spoiled his kid too much, while the younger one didn't.

The point is, Erina's prejudice isn't toward Souma alone, it's against a large group of people she despites (second-rate chef), meaning her judging skill is "top notch and recognized" with those who, just like her, thinks of them like trash alone. And with the way she judges Souma's food (already had her judgement just by reading his profile before even tasting his food), you thinks she would judge other "commoners" any differently? But I guess since she is Erina, nothing's wrong to you anyway.
Old 2015-09-21, 07:42   Link #7840
bones

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fwarlord View Post
Except she's a renown judge whom judging big competitions where candidates with various backgrounds participate will become a common thing to, and in my humble opinion (maybe even foolish in Erina's and her supporter's eyes), a judge must be equal and isn't allowed to be biased against any kind of candidate or product. More importantly, the old man made her an examiner for his academy's entrance exam. That way, he guaranteed that no "commoner" chef without the direct connect to the school's leadership can pass the exam, no matter how talent he was. Well, maybe that school has an unspoken rule that only students with prestige background or backup from influential people can study there, but foolish peasants didn't know it and still enrolled just to be kicked out mercilessly? If so, I think letting a younger Hitler be the director is actually better than an older one, since they share the same mindset but the older one's gone senile and spoiled his kid too much, while the younger one didn't.

The point is, Erina's prejudice isn't toward Souma alone, it's against a large group of people she despites (second-rate chef), meaning her judging skill is "top notch and recognized" with those who, just like her, thinks of them like trash alone. And with the way she judges Souma's food (already had her judgement just by reading his profile before even tasting his food), you thinks she would judge other "commoners" any differently? But I guess since she is Erina, nothing's wrong to you anyway.
Feel free to look 4 to 5 posts back, there's poster who utterly demolished all the crap you keep bringing up. Apparently not even that can stop you from continuing with this bullshit.

@Domus

Please don't respond to him, it's not helping. Instead just introduce something that's not flamebait.
bones is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
cooking, echii, food porn, foodgasm, licensed, school, shounen