AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Related Topics > Manga

Notices

Old 2011-07-26, 21:08   Link #8281
justavisitor

got to read the actual one to make sure because just the dialogue alone can't describe the exact tone/atmosphere of the actual chapter

but from the dialogue, my initial thought is that
Spoiler for spoiler:
I am a Ranka fan and I have significant experience in defending various "crimes" committed by Ranka, from her evil plan to terminate human races, to feeding inapporiate food to unknown lifeforms. If you think you find "new" charges aginst Ranka and you are interested, or you care to see how a particular Ranka fan would respond, please feel free to check my previous comment. There is a good chance that I have answered a similiar issue. And of course, my viewpoints do not necessarily represent other perspectivs from numerous Ranka fans in this planet
justavisitor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-07-26, 21:46   Link #8282
KLGChaos
The Shermain

Quote:
Originally Posted by justavisitor View Post
got to read the actual one to make sure because just the dialogue alone can't describe the exact tone/atmosphere of the actual chapter

but from the dialogue, my initial thought is that
Spoiler for spoiler:
Spoiler:
Old 2011-07-26, 22:37   Link #8283
vansonbee
❤Ichigo 100%❤

Quote:
Originally Posted by KLGChaos View Post
Spoiler:
Agreed, I was conflicted on Haruto line right there. I would never say that to my ex GF (current). lol

Feels like Seo trying to put out the blaze by this action.
Old 2011-07-26, 23:50   Link #8284
justavisitor

Quote:
Spoiler:
totally agree
Spoiler for spoiler (Suzuka involved):
I am a Ranka fan and I have significant experience in defending various "crimes" committed by Ranka, from her evil plan to terminate human races, to feeding inapporiate food to unknown lifeforms. If you think you find "new" charges aginst Ranka and you are interested, or you care to see how a particular Ranka fan would respond, please feel free to check my previous comment. There is a good chance that I have answered a similiar issue. And of course, my viewpoints do not necessarily represent other perspectivs from numerous Ranka fans in this planet
justavisitor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-07-27, 04:37   Link #8285
Mentar
Banned

Quote:
My issue is the way that Haruto tells her that he really, really liked her. If that was the case, he wouldn't have dumped her so easily just because Eba came back into his life. You don't drop someone you love just because an old flame confesses to you unless your feelings weren't that strong in the first place. Personally, I think Haruto's full of crap and is just giving Asuka a line. Either that, or he's the most indecisive protagonist I've ever seen who's feelings can change at the drop of a hat.
LikED. Past tense.

I understand that you want to put him through a blender, but it's really no rocket science: Feelings change. You do care for people deeply at some point of time, but over time, the love fades. And lord knows it's been a lot of time, over a year.

Yamato-Asuka was never the "burning flame" kind of relationship. It was a linkup of kindred souls living next to each other which both got used to without noticing the gradual change. What it takes is an extraordinary development to make people REALIZE it, which is exactly what happened here.

And assuming that the spoiler is correct, Asuka's ability to accept the situation and gracefully bowing out (though still hurting) shows exactly the kind of growth which you always claim doesn't happen in Seo's stories. After the shock of the initial pain wore off, and once she understood that Haruto's decision wasn't merely on a whim, she decided to let go of him without punishing him with an extra guilt trip. Which I find admirably mature.
Mentar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-07-27, 05:46   Link #8286
KLGChaos
The Shermain

Sorry, just can't buy that he really had strong feelings for her in the first place. He dated her after his heart was broken by Eba so part of him still was attached to her at that time. Then, as soon as Eba's back in his life, he dumps Asuka fairly quickly. To me, that's a guy who was never really attached to the girl in the first place because he never got over his ex.

And I never said there isn't ANY growth in a Seo manga-- just the main characters who get stuck in place. Haruto and Eba are pretty much exactly the same now as they were in high school. In Suzuka, Yamato didn't grow up until after the baby incident which was nearing the end of the manga and then suddenly "Boom! Maturity happens!" Suzuka herself was the same way. Obviously, a big change like having a kid will make you grow up quick, but it's still not fun watching the characters make the same stupid mistakes over and over again until the manga is over.

I was fine with her giving him a guilt trip. I thought it was great how she called him on his bull**** attitude of "us vs. the world" and not caring if his friends hated him. I wasn't fine with her basically taking it back the next day and actually thanking him for "liking her". It's like, "Hey, go ahead and stomp all over people's feelings! We may complain about it at first, but you'll be thanked in the end for all the lying, sneaking around and being an all-around jerk to everyone around you!" He learns nothing from that.
Old 2011-07-27, 06:09   Link #8287
Mentar
Banned

Quote:
Sorry, just can't buy that he really had strong feelings for her in the first place. He dated her after his heart was broken by Eba so part of him still was attached to her at that time. Then, as soon as Eba's back in his life, he dumps Asuka fairly quickly. To me, that's a guy who was never really attached to the girl in the first place because he never got over his ex.
Except that this was not what was narrated in the mangas. He accepted Eba's "let's not see each other anymore" suggestion without complaint (he also explained that to others later). Eba never ever crossed his mind until he ran into her by pure accident, and it didn't leave a lasting effect on him. I can't remember a single scene where Haruto is shown reminiscing over Eba, or even longing for her. Likewise, even when Eba returned, we never see him wistful or really interested - before the fateful twosome evening where it was Eba who wanted to sever all ties. THAT propelled him into action.

You're simply telling a story inside your head which fits to your ideas, but which does not fit to the story that was narrated *shrug*

Quote:
I was fine with her giving him a guilt trip.
Because you want to punish him for what he did.

Quote:
I thought it was great how she called him on his bull**** attitude of "us vs. the world" and not caring if his friends hated him.
See above, your hatred for Haruto is speaking here ... it's no bullshit after all, because he DID opt to say no to what "the world" wanted.

Quote:
I wasn't fine with her basically taking it back the next day and actually thanking him for "liking her". It's like, "Hey, go ahead and stomp all over people's feelings! We may complain about it at first, but you'll be thanked in the end for all the lying, sneaking around and being an all-around jerk to everyone around you!" He learns nothing from that.
That's a very emotional and immature stance to take. And while it may be understandable if your own pain is the only thing that matters to you, it's counterproductive.

Asuka is taking the high road here, very much grown-up. She accepts that calling it quits under these circumstances is the right thing to do for Haruto (it certainly is), and she is releasing him without beating him bloody. Advantage: You still retain a friendly relationship, instead of a flaming wreck which is the usual outcome if you're not gracious. Asuka just gained alot of points in my book, and by taking this road, she also opens up a reconciliation between Haruto/Eba and the others.

So, it may annoy all those who only want to see Haruto bloody, but it's helpful for anyone else involved.
Old 2011-07-27, 06:46   Link #8288
KLGChaos
The Shermain

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mentar View Post
Except that this was not what was narrated in the mangas. He accepted Eba's "let's not see each other anymore" suggestion without complaint (he also explained that to others later). Eba never ever crossed his mind until he ran into her by pure accident, and it didn't leave a lasting effect on him. I can't remember a single scene where Haruto is shown reminiscing over Eba, or even longing for her. Likewise, even when Eba returned, we never see him wistful or really interested - before the fateful twosome evening where it was Eba who wanted to sever all ties. THAT propelled him into action.
So, what you're saying is that instead of liking her the whole time, he didn't really give her any thought until she confessed again and then he suddenly fell for her again. So instead of being there the whole, the feelings just came back out of nowhere just because of a single confession. Yeah, that's better. *sarcasm* Either way, doesn't sit well with me.

Quote:
Because you want to punish him for what he did.

That's a very emotional and immature stance to take. And while it may be understandable if your own pain is the only thing that matters to you, it's counterproductive.
Of course. I'm not a fan of letting people hurt others and then getting away with it. It's like a person murdering someone, getting a slap on the wrist and then being allowed to walk free. It'd be nice if Haruto actually saw his friends turning on him as some sort of punishment, but his ego won't allow it. Heck, I'm sure a big part of him thinks he's right and his friends are wrong. He hasn't even tried to make contact with them, explain things or apologize for his actions. He's just being a stubborn ass with his whole "I don't need anyone but Eba." Hate to say it, but that's a really lonely way to live. And frankly, reacting emotionally to something isn't immature, it's a natural part of life.

Personally, I wouldn't even want to have a friendly relationship with a person like Haruto. He's proven time and again that he's not really that great of a friend. Hate to say it, but between Haruto and Suzuka, Seo's protagonists are some of the most unlikable characters I've ever seen, in my opinion.
Old 2011-07-27, 07:36   Link #8289
Mentar
Banned

Quote:
So, what you're saying is that instead of liking her the whole time, he didn't really give her any thought until she confessed again and then he suddenly fell for her again. So instead of being there the whole, the feelings just came back out of nowhere just because of a single confession. Yeah, that's better. *sarcasm* Either way, doesn't sit well with me.
Have you ever fallen out of love with someone? Over a long time? I have. It's a long process, and you don't even realize it, until something happens that makes you aware of it.

Haruto/Asuka was going nowhere, and it was plainly visible for everybody when Eba wasn't even in the story for many, many chapters. No progress, stale routine. THAT was not Eba's fault. It was rather that Eba's efforts combined with her announcement to sever all contact which made Haruto _recognize_ the truth.

I can understand that you hate the outcome, but you're pinning the blame on the wrong person here.

Quote:
Of course. I'm not a fan of letting people hurt others and then getting away with it. It's like a person murdering someone, getting a slap on the wrist and then being allowed to walk free.
Don't you think you're exaggerating a bit here? ^_^; ... they were in a loose relationship, "dating". Ending this is no crime.

Quote:
It'd be nice if Haruto actually saw his friends turning on him as some sort of punishment, but his ego won't allow it.
No idea what that is supposed to mean. He DID see his "friends" turning away from him. However, he'd be a real idiot if that would make him change his stance now. Sticking with his feelings is exactly what he needs to do.

Quote:
Heck, I'm sure a big part of him thinks he's right and his friends are wrong.
Actually, he is, and his friends are wrong indeed. What is he supposed to do, return to Asuka anyway? How retarded is that?

But that's not the point here: He accepts that at least for the time being, it's natural that his friends might be mad at him, but THERE IS NOTHING HE CAN DO ABOUT THAT NOW. He explained it to them, and they wouldn't be able to accept it - at least yet. First, things need to work out with Asuka.

Quote:
He hasn't even tried to make contact with them, explain things or apologize for his actions. He's just being a stubborn ass with his whole "I don't need anyone but Eba." Hate to say it, but that's a really lonely way to live. And frankly, reacting emotionally to something isn't immature, it's a natural part of life.
Maturity means to control your natural urges, to try to understand things, and to act in a way that is beneficial. When you've been with someone for many years, and even dated for over a year, it's usually a good idea to try to part on amiable terms. And there, Asuka shows a high degree of maturity. Even if you can't be with someone the way you want, it's usually still worth remaining friends.

You have this weird notion that Haruto is at fault for feeling what he feels. How dare he feel this way for Eba, and not for Asuka! BASTARD! But that's how it is, simple as that.

Quote:
Personally, I wouldn't even want to have a friendly relationship with a person like Haruto. He's proven time and again that he's not really that great of a friend. Hate to say it, but between Haruto and Suzuka, Seo's protagonists are some of the most unlikable characters I've ever seen, in my opinion.
So what would be your "advice" to Haruto? Get back with Asuka?
Old 2011-07-27, 11:21   Link #8290
Sinestra
ショ ン (^^)
*IT Support

Send a message via AIM to Sinestra Send a message via MSN to Sinestra Send a message via Yahoo to Sinestra
Quote:
Spoiler:
Quote:

And I never said there isn't ANY growth in a Seo manga-- just the main characters who get stuck in place. Haruto and Eba are pretty much exactly the same now as they were in high school. In Suzuka, Yamato didn't grow up until after the baby incident which was nearing the end of the manga and then suddenly "Boom! Maturity happens!" Suzuka herself was the same way. Obviously, a big change like having a kid will make you grow up quick, but it's still not fun watching the characters make the same stupid mistakes over and over again until the manga is over.

I was fine with her giving him a guilt trip. I thought it was great how she called him on his bull**** attitude of "us vs. the world" and not caring if his friends hated him. I wasn't fine with her basically taking it back the next day and actually thanking him for "liking her". It's like, "Hey, go ahead and stomp all over people's feelings! We may complain about it at first, but you'll be thanked in the end for all the lying, sneaking around and being an all-around jerk to everyone around you!" He learns nothing from that.
Finally a view that addresses Haruto's faults that are not only addressed in the manga and probably wont be but show no signs of actually growing out them. I pretty much agree 95% of your take on Haruto. People keep focusing on the act of him breaking up with Asuka and for some reason putting blinders on to everything else that lead to the position hes in. This knight in shinning armor defense of Haruto without objectionably accepting the bad decisions hes made to get to the current state is actually quite annoying.

Again, from the spoilers it looks like Haruto gets called on BS by Asuka one more time and even though im glad to see this moving on. The bad taste in my mouth regarding his insincerity is why iv stopped investing in this manga emotionally and just keep with the logical aspect. If you have ever liked or loved someone and broken up depending on how it was handled your own personal views will of course make you bias to the whole Asuka, Haruto, Yuzuki situation. In my 17-20 years of dating i have never seen a more ridiculous yet somewhat humorous cop out. But hey im not writing it and Seo is writing this according to his own ideals and views of relationships and human interaction.

Regardless of what side your are on i think we are all just happy its moving forward. I highly doubt i will read another Seo manga for a while after this one which is a shame because i love his art.
Old 2011-07-27, 11:32   Link #8291
KLGChaos
The Shermain

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mentar View Post
Have you ever fallen out of love with someone? Over a long time? I have. It's a long process, and you don't even realize it, until something happens that makes you aware of it.

Haruto/Asuka was going nowhere, and it was plainly visible for everybody when Eba wasn't even in the story for many, many chapters. No progress, stale routine. THAT was not Eba's fault. It was rather that Eba's efforts combined with her announcement to sever all contact which made Haruto _recognize_ the truth.

I can understand that you hate the outcome, but you're pinning the blame on the wrong person here.

Don't you think you're exaggerating a bit here? ^_^; ... they were in a loose relationship, "dating". Ending this is no crime.

No idea what that is supposed to mean. He DID see his "friends" turning away from him. However, he'd be a real idiot if that would make him change his stance now. Sticking with his feelings is exactly what he needs to do.

Actually, he is, and his friends are wrong indeed. What is he supposed to do, return to Asuka anyway? How retarded is that?

But that's not the point here: He accepts that at least for the time being, it's natural that his friends might be mad at him, but THERE IS NOTHING HE CAN DO ABOUT THAT NOW. He explained it to them, and they wouldn't be able to accept it - at least yet. First, things need to work out with Asuka.

Maturity means to control your natural urges, to try to understand things, and to act in a way that is beneficial. When you've been with someone for many years, and even dated for over a year, it's usually a good idea to try to part on amiable terms. And there, Asuka shows a high degree of maturity. Even if you can't be with someone the way you want, it's usually still worth remaining friends.

You have this weird notion that Haruto is at fault for feeling what he feels. How dare he feel this way for Eba, and not for Asuka! BASTARD! But that's how it is, simple as that.

So what would be your "advice" to Haruto? Get back with Asuka?
Ok, we can argue about this until the next ice age, but I don't think we'll get anywhere. This is one of those things we'll have to agree to disagree on. I've got my own way of seeing things, you've got yours. The correct way of handling things is up to each individual's opinion. When it comes to love and relationships, after all, it's a delicate matter with lots of conflicting views.

@Sinestra: I'm also done with Seo mangas. Suzuka I could somewhat tolerate, but even that had moments that made me want to rip my hair out and that was reading it all in one go. KNIM is worse for me as everything I didn't like from Suzuka seems to be compounded. Seo is definitely not someone that's easy to read weekly. He's got good artwork, but I find him to be limited otherwise. Then again, he's not alone. I've had my fill of GE as well lately. Once this and GE are done, I'm avoiding ShoRom dramas altogether. Too much angst for my tastes. I guess it's understandable that the authors are trying to extend the manga as far as they can. I just wish they found other ways to do it without making the characters look like idiots half the time. I'll wait until they finish before I sit down and read them through.
Old 2011-07-27, 13:47   Link #8292
DragoZERO
Spoilaphobic

Hmm... interesting ad.

As for the chapter itself... I want to call bull because things never end that happily but I don't really care that much since it's over and we can move on.
Old 2011-07-27, 15:59   Link #8293
vansonbee
❤Ichigo 100%❤

Chapter 144 out...

Felt a less tense for Asuka situation, but overall its premature for such a closure. Very predictable and a easy way out for Haruto to move on, come on Seo! Come at me!

I hope his friends have their separate reasons to dislike Haruto still, even if by chance Asuka convince them to change their mind

Peace~
Old 2011-07-27, 16:20   Link #8294
Sinestra
ショ ン (^^)
*IT Support

Send a message via AIM to Sinestra Send a message via MSN to Sinestra Send a message via Yahoo to Sinestra
Chapter 144 is indeed out all i can do is laugh and say meh! the best part of the chapter was seeing Asuka smile again and now its completely over. Now she can find someone whos worth caring about. Glad its over but it felt so rushed i guess Seo wants to get past this point as quickly as possible and focus on Yuzuki and Haruto.
Old 2011-07-27, 18:48   Link #8295
Waven
Itadaki-nyaaa !!

That was a nice closure for a character that didn't have much character depth for most of her time.

I don't know what some guys perceive as realistic but I think the "realistic" alternative would've been that Haruto and Asuka never say a single word to each other and after Haruto moves out they never see each other again, is that what you wanted to see?... for the sake of realism?

I know some people like such series to be as close to real life as possible but at some point that doesn't work narration- and suspense-wise. Fiction has its own term for a reason.
Waven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-07-27, 18:52   Link #8296
Master Chibi
.: A bad doggy :.

Hay something happened!

A CHAPTER WITH NO YUKI

Updated once a week - http://pishi.wordpress.com/
Last updated - 5/30/10 - Random Manga Roulette!
Master Chibi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-07-27, 20:13   Link #8297
Sinestra
ショ ン (^^)
*IT Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Master Chibi View Post
Hay something happened!

A CHAPTER WITH NO YUKI
lmao why am i not surprised by your reaction
Old 2011-07-28, 01:48   Link #8298
Merilyn Mensola
I am a Boxer

Why Asuka forgive Haruto so easy?
Asuka is right, when she said, " I was just in replacement"..i can't believe she forgive Haruto..,because he said, i really loved you more than any other..... Not development between the two, in their time together.....there was more development between him and Eba, in this short time....
Merilyn Mensola is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-07-28, 03:45   Link #8299
night train

Quote:
Originally Posted by Merilyn Mensola View Post
Why Asuka forgive Haruto so easy?
Asuka is right, when she said, " I was just in replacement"..i can't believe she forgive Haruto..,because he said, i really loved you more than any other..... Not development between the two, in their time together.....there was more development between him and Eba, in this short time....
A harsh way to put it is that Asuka has served her purpose in Seo's story. She was designated as a plot device from the beginning; a connection from the previous arc to the current arc. Without her involvement, the transition from Kazuma's death to Eba's reappearance would appear to be forced and unnatural. An example of this would be Shiho, she served her purpose of being a filler character (I'm gonna be blasted for this FYI, I thought she was a great character as well) and was promptly written off after her arc and never to be seen again.
The same role is being applied for Asuka as well. Even though I have a feeling that we will see her again toward the end of the story.
Seo knew Asuka/Shiho are his throwaway characters. Therefore, he really went the extra mile to put them on a pedestal; without major faults in their character makeup but little development in interactions with other characters in the story to distance the readers' attachment to them(boy, did that backfire in Asuka's case ).
Overall, I thought Asuka went out with dignity and her head held up high.

Last edited by night train; 2011-07-28 at 03:52. Reason: Cleaning up
night train is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-07-28, 04:06   Link #8300
Merilyn Mensola
I am a Boxer

Quote:
Originally Posted by night train View Post
A harsh way to put it is that Asuka has served her purpose in Seo's story. She was designated as a plot device from the beginning; a connection from the previous arc to the current arc. Without her involvement, the transition from Kazuma's death to Eba's reappearance would appear to be forced and unnatural. An example of this would be Shiho, she served her purpose of being a filler character (I'm gonna be blasted for this FYI, I thought she was a great character as well) and was promptly written off after her arc and never to be seen again.
The same role is being applied for Asuka as well. Even though I have a feeling that we will see her again toward the end of the story.
Seo knew Asuka/Shiho are his throwaway characters. Therefore, he really went the extra mile to put them on a pedestal; without major faults in their character makeup but little development in interactions with other characters in the story to distance the readers' attachment to them(boy, did that backfire in Asuka's case ).
Overall, I thought Asuka went out with dignity and her head held up high.
what you say is true ..However, if there was development between the two (Asuka and Haruto) would have been much better and more realistic..
Merilyn Mensola is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
a town where you rage, adult romance, drama, ecchi, logic doesn't apply, manga, nice christmas gift seo, power ups, romance, seo kouji, shounen, slice of life