AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Retired > Retired M-Z > Umineko

Notices

Old 2010-09-06, 10:05   Link #4621
UnknownBeast

Quote:
And we implied that we couldn't work on it at all. I'm pretty sure we were straightforward about it.
Well, since the reaction from the whole fanbase shows that you haven't implied it hard enough, you need to imply things harder.

Quote:
They did and yet we proved we were working and we managed to pull things correctly despite Episode 4 was the longest of all. Yet, despite this occurence, people were still unnerved for Episode 6 despite it was the same for Episode 4. What gives?
You forgot that EP4 got an early partial patch that made people very happy.

Quote:
And what you know? Since when progress status is an indication how close we are to fail, while we released Episode 6 1 month before episode 7?
Since most people use basic math for basic predicting. 3 months = 6%. 100%=???

Quote:
... are you serious? That's the biggest offense I've read for all of these years.
You do realize that our pace was in conjunction with our own method of translating etc?

And you really think our pace would be like the Sonozaki, whereas we aren't the same persons -at all-.

I'm asking you to apologize, notably towards Chronotrig. I cannot accept such kind of slander.
Oh so touchy and arrogant are you now? You guys are fast. But I don't think you can say the EPs release schedules and Umineko's nature didn't factor anything to your pace.

Quote:
You have no idea how much you offended a translation group by claiming they HAVE to deliver it before a certain date.
That's good if you felt offended because as I said, reading it hurt. I felt as offended as I felt betrayed reading that.

Quote:
Which means: we are doing our best to always finish it before any Episode. Do you expect us to toy around and decide on a whim when to release it? Don't screw with us.
Screw with you? You asked for trust. Did I not show it?
Quote:
W-H must finish weeks before EP8. And I'm sure W-H can do that
UnknownBeast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-09-06, 10:05   Link #4622
SawatariMakoto

Alright, so I've been following this thread for about a year and some change now, but something urged me to make an account and speak my mind within the last few minutes that I spent shuffling through the last couple pages. I also know that I'm simply regurgitating things that have already been said multiple times in this thread, but oh well. I do not think that It's right to rush WH, at ALL. As they've said, they supply us with updates more than often enough, and if they were to give updates when there's nothing more to say than "oh, nothing's gotten done" what do you think the reaction would be in this thread? Most likely a whole lot of complaining. The time people are asking WH to allocate for more consistent updates would be taking away from the time of the translation you all are so impatient for. With all the barrages of comments on how they aren't doing their job properly, I'm honestly surprised that they haven't dropped this project as of yet.I obviously don't want that to happen, and I hope that it doesn't, but I'm kind of taking the negative feedback personally. Maybe It's because I find WH's translation beyond satisfactory, and their pace is also satisfactory. People need to stop acting like things like this translation are owed to them, and start realizing that this is being done out of the goodness of someones heart. That's all I have to say. I just wanted to let WH know that there are people out here that appreciate what you do, so don't let the negative feedback detour you from what you've set out to do.
SawatariMakoto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-09-06, 10:14   Link #4623
LaplaceNoMa

Klash. Don't feed the troll, seriousely. The more you answer, the worse this discussion grows. Just let it go. Please.
LaplaceNoMa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-09-06, 10:21   Link #4624
Klashikari
阿賀野型3番艦、矢矧 Lv180
*Graphic Designer

Quote:
Originally Posted by UnknownBeast View Post
Well, since the reaction from the whole fanbase shows that you haven't implied it hard enough, you need to imply things harder.
Whole fanbase? Albeit there was a major reaction, I doubt it is representing the whole fanbase.
And as far as I know, saying no progress at one point, doesn't mean it will suddenly have a progress without saying. That's like turning a switch.
Quote:
You forgot that EP4 got an early partial patch that made people very happy.
You forgot that the partial patch actually turned into a backlash with people not fancying this cliffhanger and the fact there was nearly to no board content. After figuring out what people feedbacks, they generally wanted a full patch instead.
Quote:
Since most people use basic math for basic predicting. 3 months = 6%. 100%=???
That is why we do not like putting a constant update because people will have wrong expectations, thinking we are too slow, or too fast. Basic math has nothing to do with schedule, IRL matters and opportunities. There is no possible situation for a convenient "translation pace is constantly X from start to finish". We have our own void and spurt periods, which we explained several times already.
Quote:
Oh so touchy and arrogant are you now? You guys are fast. But I don't think you can say the EPs release schedules and Umineko's nature didn't factor anything to your pace.
And your basis for this is? For one, I never stated that Umineko's complexity had no effect, since we did say about Episode 5 and 6 being tricky with traps regarding red.
Aside of that, I see no relevant point that would prove our pace was affected by the rest. Schedules are prepared on the fly when we believe we are close to be done. Aside of that, we are arguably doing things when we are not busy. Otherwise, Chrono would have nearly no time to spend on his own.
Quote:
That's good if you felt offended because as I said, reading it hurt. I felt as offended as I felt betrayed reading that.
Betrayed? When we are actually doing what people want?
Again, you are mistaking our point completely: as to not to betray people expectations (avoiding spoilers etc), we do everything so any episode is released ASAP. How can you expect us to betray any fan now?

The point I was making is: you are claiming we "have to", as if it was a written rule that we should enforce no matter what, no matter our situation, no matter if we are dead tired or not. Implying as well that Chrono has to relinquish his free time despite he has to find a job so he can invest everything he had on Episode 7.
Do you know what this "obligation" theme imply? It is like as if it was something that we should put our private lives to stake, for sake of translating what is supposed to be a hobby. That's why I say we are on our pace, and yet we do not lose focus.

We aren't selling anything, we aren't responsible for anything but to provide a translation.

If you fail to understand our intention and objective even after my answers, then I simply cannot do anything else but the usual efforts I've dedicated nearly 3 years. If it isn't that good enough after 6 episodes within 2 years, I guess you might just hire yourself your own translation group. I'm out with this.

Last edited by Klashikari; 2010-09-06 at 10:38.
Klashikari is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-09-06, 10:43   Link #4625
UnknownBeast

Quote:
Whole fanbase? Albeit there was a major reaction, I doubt it is representing the whole fanbase.
And as far as I know, saying no progress at one point, doesn't mean it will suddenly have a progress without saying. That's like turning a switch.
Ah, yes "major reaction" was the term I'm looking for. And of course saying "no progress" doesn't mean that there will be progress. It's to satisfy people's want for news.

Quote:
You forgot that the partial patch actually turned into a backlash with people not fancying this cliffhanger and the fact there was nearly to no board content. After figuring out what people feedbacks, they generally wanted a full patch instead.
PEOPLE DIDN'T LIKE THE EPIC TROLL CLIFFHANGER YOU DID?! WHAT.

I don't recall... Let me check my very reaction in this very thread...

Quote:
Originally Posted by UnknownBeast
Uu..
I just finished it.. >.>;
Not a very satisfying place to end it IMO... <.<;
Very much unlike the EP3 half-patch... >.<;
Looking forward for the rest <.>;
Though unsatisfying (people always want more Umineko), I looked forward to the rest. And what's important it created a buzz of discussion and theorizing. SO WHAT'S THERE NOT TO LIKE AND WHERE ARE THESE PEOPLE THAT DIDN'T LIKE IT?

Quote:
That is why we do not like putting a constant update because people will have wrong expectations, thinking we are too slow, or too fast. Basic math has nothing to do with schedule, IRL matters and opportunities. There is no possible situation for a convenient "translation pace is constantly X from start to finish". We have our own void and spurt periods, which we explained several times already.
A content update don't need to be percentages. You could go all diary like. "Translated a couple of lines today... only 3 though XP. Have been very buzy guyzzzz XD"

Quote:
Betrayed? When we are actually doing what people want?
No man. Just the way you worded that made me feel betrayed. Saying "We don't need to finish before EP8. " when EP8 is the final episode where spoilers makes all theorizing moot? Betrayed may not be the right word, but reading it just hurt.

If you were to give a positive reaction like "Ahaha, yeah. We are trying our hardest and I'm glad for your optimism in believing that we can do it!"

Quote:
The point I was making is: you are claiming we "have to", as if it was a written rule that we should enforce no matter what, no matter our situation, no matter if we are dead tired or not.
Do you know what this "obligation" theme imply? It is like as if it was something that we should put our private lives to stake, for sake of translating what is supposed to be a hobby.

We aren't selling anything, we aren't responsible for anything but to provide a translation.
Okay, let me reword it. It's my wording that's wrong. Since you guys are doing the translation, I subconsciously worded it as "W-H must finish weeks before EP8."

The point I'm actually trying to makes with that wasn't that you, W-H, have to. But a translation of EP7 must to be done before EP8, the very nature of Umineko demands it.

And that's why reading "We don't have any obligation to." meant to my eyes as "EP7 doesn't need to be translated before EP8." So yeah, my bad wording.

But yes, it may not be done by you. A whole new translation group could pick it up, if you guys somehow couldn't. That's why status progress are needed.
Old 2010-09-06, 10:47   Link #4626
DaBackpack
Blick Winkel

Please don't listen to him. There are tons of people that appreciate what Witch-Hunt has been doing all these years. Of course, some people will inevitably have a sense of entitlement about the translations.

As was said before, they have absolutely NO obligation to produce these patches. They are doing it because they want us to understand Ryukishi's work. It's a good visual novel and they want us to be able to read it, despite the language barrier. They are not being paid. They do not expect donations. Unless they OWE you something, you should not try to force them to work harder or be more diligent with updates.

I'm sorry I cannot help with the translation, but I possess little/no understanding of the Japanese language. Otherwise I would try to contribute in some manner.

UnknownBeast, I'm sorry, but you're making Klashikari angry. He's very clearly offended by what you're saying. Quite frankly, I would be enraged if I was working on the project. They could just as easily stop working on it all together. You wouldn't want that, would you?

Goodness, it would be the same thing if I tried to save a kitten from a tree and the cat-owner criticized me for not mentioning my progress every twenty seconds. I, as a rescuer, could very well leave the cat-owner for being such a jerk. I hold no responsibility for doing anything for him and if he honestly wants me to do every arbitrary thing he wants, then he can either find someone else or do it himself.

Granted, asking for updates is not exactly a bad thing. I, for one, would appreciate updates. The thing is, though, they know what works for them, and all we have the right to do is wait and ask questions. Not demand status updates.
DaBackpack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-09-06, 10:52   Link #4627
ZettaiRyouiki

Adapt the patch for the EP7. Translating. Editing...

And.

Man. Hey, man. Did you ever hear about something called... "Real Life" ?

Yep.

Think about it.
ZettaiRyouiki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-09-06, 10:54   Link #4628
Klashikari
阿賀野型3番艦、矢矧 Lv180
*Graphic Designer

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaBackpack View Post
They could just as easily stop working on it all together. You wouldn't want that, would you?
I appreciate your answer, but I have to say one thing (not going to go back on this discussion): We aren't going to stop for anything similar to that, otherwise, we would have given up much earlier (even during the wiki period so to speak).

That would be the last thing any of us in WH would want to do. And it would be ridiculous for us to take the translation in hostage just for an incident, regardless how grave it is.
After all, we are Umineko fans, prior being a translation group.
Old 2010-09-06, 10:54   Link #4629
UnknownBeast

Yes, members of the team should definitely mention if they're heavily afflicted with "Real Life" symptoms. :P

PS Klash you should read go back my post. I clarified my mistake.
Old 2010-09-06, 10:58   Link #4630
DaBackpack
Blick Winkel

Quote:
Originally Posted by Klashikari View Post
I appreciate your answer, but I have to say one thing (not going to go back on this discussion): We aren't going to stop for anything similar to that, otherwise, we would have given up much earlier (even during the wiki period so to speak).

That would be the last thing any of us in WH would want to do. And it would be ridiculous for us to take the translation in hostage just for any incident.
After all, we are Umineko fans, prior being a translation group.
Sorry, didn't mean to put words in your mouth, I was just listing an absolute extreme result.

Also, I have a sudden problem with the EP6 game:

(I'm not sure this is a translation patch issue, but I thought this would be the best place to put this)

I have all the slots of the save files filled. But for some reason, random save files will not work. I get a black screen with some funky text in the top left corner and if I right-click then I get taken back to the front page. Any idea what this could be?
Old 2010-09-06, 11:06   Link #4631
UnknownBeast

PS. All of you relatively new guys thinking of me as a troll. I'm fine with that. But I noticed that you guys are of relatively low power-levels! You guys aren't fans long enough and have been following W-H long enough and CRAZY DIE-HARD ENOUGH TO DIRECTLY TALK WITH HARSH WORDS AND MAKE PEOPLE FEEL BAD WITH ACTUALLY SUPPORTIVE GOOD INTENDED SUGGESTIONS and be (hopefully) be all merry when this is over!

WHO THE HELL DO YOU T- oh wait- I'm a nobody and don't do anything but lurk in this EP7 spoiler infested place.

~_~

*poofs back to home forum*
Old 2010-09-06, 11:13   Link #4632
Klashikari
阿賀野型3番艦、矢矧 Lv180
*Graphic Designer

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaBackpack View Post
Also, I have a sudden problem with the EP6 game:

(I'm not sure this is a translation patch issue, but I thought this would be the best place to put this)

I have all the slots of the save files filled. But for some reason, random save files will not work. I get a black screen with some funky text in the top left corner and if I right-click then I get taken back to the front page. Any idea what this could be?
Sudden problem? How "sudden" was it? I take it that you didn't have that save issue before, correct?
Can you provide some screenshots of this issue? Did you try to clean the save states?

And fear not, this is actually the thread everyone should post their technical issues.
Old 2010-09-06, 11:13   Link #4633
ZettaiRyouiki

Kakoii monogatari onii-san.
ZettaiRyouiki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-09-06, 11:28   Link #4634
DaBackpack
Blick Winkel

Quote:
Sudden problem? How "sudden" was it? I take it that you didn't have that save issue before, correct?
Can you provide some screenshots of this issue? Did you try to clean the save states?

And fear not, this is actually the thread everyone should post their technical issues.
Spoiler for Big EP5 pic:

Spoiler for EP5 Big Pic:

And clean the save states? How does this work?

These are two of the ones I remember off the top of my head.

EDIT: "Sudden" as in it worked when I played it before I installed EP7 but for some reason doesn't work properly now. (I'm not trying to make a connection to it being related to EP7, but I'm using it as a timeframe)
Old 2010-09-06, 11:36   Link #4635
Klashikari
阿賀野型3番艦、矢矧 Lv180
*Graphic Designer

Does this mean your save state issue only fire off during this peculiar scene, or any save states?

As for cleaning the save states, it depends of your OS, but generally, go to your documents and settings (your windows profile), and look for the hidden folder application data. You should find a Umineko6 folder.
In this folder, you will find envdata, global.sav files as well as save[X].dat, [X] being a number. Keep envdata and global, since they are the files that register if you have finished an episode or not.
Displace/remove the save state that aren't working, and try to save on the same scenes, to see if loading these fresh save states will generate the same glitch.
Old 2010-09-06, 11:41   Link #4636
DaBackpack
Blick Winkel

Quote:
Does this mean your save state issue only fire off during this peculiar scene, or any save states?

As for cleaning the save states, it depends of your OS, but generally, go to your documents and settings (your windows profile), and look for the hidden folder application data. You should find a Umineko6 folder.
In this folder, you will find envdata, global.sav files as well as save[X].dat, [X] being a number. Keep envdata and global, since they are the files that register if you have finished an episode or not.
Displace/remove the save state that aren't working, and try to save on the same scenes, to see if loading these fresh save states will generate the same glitch.
Yeah, only a select few save files will not function properly. And I'll try that, thank you
Old 2010-09-06, 12:39   Link #4637
Dischordia

Quote:
Spoiler for news:

Sure thing. But bear in mind that some of those "news" were vague and some were not EP6-related at all. Don't pull a strawman, where you used a similar proof to back you up. It doesn't work.
Quote:
And bear in mind we were also taking care of the glitches and typo reports, as well as testing a lot of things with 1-4 and 5-6. Furthermore, Mion had to deal with a new engine a LOT of time etc. Even so, we tried to keep things updated at least every 2-4 weeks, or something major shows up.
Underlined. Why? The priority should be the new works, not the older ones.
A group is split for that very reason. It is so that a person's work won't interfere with the other's. One can do the text while the other can do the program to display the text.
Quote:
Seriously, what do you want us to do? An everyday/every week update? That has little to no impact if we keep repeating "we couldn't do anything this week again, move on"? As far as it goes, we couldn't do anything at some point, and declared we were back on it the day we could, with no -actual- change between the 2 news, which is correct.
"No progress" is still news. You're giving us something instead of not telling us anything, not allowing contact with the community when it comes to real progress, and so on. You don't have to do an everyday/every week update, you just have to have touch with the community. Don't come and say something every two weeks, try to reply instead of making us feel ignored.
Quote:
Furthermore, I did mention the current situation for Episode 7 as well.
But it seems no matter what, if you don't have your precious number, it means we aren't working correct?
Let's turn the chessboard over, shall we?
What if I pull you a "10%" right here, right now? Do you have proof that we indeed did 10% of Episode 7 so far? Do you have proof we aren't pulling a bogus number while we may be at 0 or 30%?
No. It means we don't know about anything whatsoever related to how things are going. Are you saying that, after all those translations W-H has done, you'd just lie to those who trust you? Still, a lie can give us comfort and bring less dissatisfaction.
Quote:
What is it then, when we already stated the issue at hand, regarding the impossibility to put a number?
And if you think about our stance, how about our point of view? Here is mine:
As I'm taking charge of the information with Chrono, it is my charge and responsibility to explain everything about the project and our current situation. By this, it is my duty to actually give precise information. So, I really just can't make random numbers, and just state we -are- working on it. As I explained, only chrono has the information (be it in form of % or number of lines)
Lack of contact within the group itself? what is this? Chrono comes here every once in a while too, why do you have to be his voice? Also. Chrono has the precise information, however, it's not shared at all looking as though as there's something in his way, when there shouldn't be.
Quote:
Updating our progress % recklessly is no good at all (either because of our current pace, or because we simply can't). Is it hard to trust us a bare minimum? We always explain what we are doing at a given period and whatnot, and progress updates are always given during key points.
Recklessly is no good at all, indeed. This is not what irritates me, though. It is the fact that even if you have the means to do so, you still say it's not possible. My trust has actually dropped severely during the past months, as some of the information given out seemed very... suspicious, with the lack of a better word.
Quote:
Yet, if the lack of progress means "0", does it mean that we are actually doing things within days notice? I'm tired of this really: we know a lot of people are not fully satisfied with the way we handle our progress status reports, but we are asking all of you to trust us about that.
Don't put words in my mouth, please. I never said "lack of news = 0 progress", I just said that it means we have no idea about what's really going on and we're left to assumptions, and due to past records, it's quite hard to have a complete trust after all the troubles that happened within the wait for EP6.
Quote:
Would you mind checking threads before jumping on the gun? thanks.
It was a joke, a joke.
Quote:
Originally Posted by m0h View Post
WH Guys, just forget about the pointless questions about the percentage of your work.
Pushing is trolling. Pushing is disrespectful.
Definitely not the right way to thank you guys for the work you do.
You know, I really dislike that attitude. Are you saying I should just keep my mouth shut in times of dissatisfaction? I like that they do the translations, but that doesn't mean I don't have the right to complain, to let my thoughts out.

EDIT: Oh, sorry. I took too much time with the reply that I didn't notice.
Old 2010-09-06, 13:09   Link #4638
Klashikari
阿賀野型3番艦、矢矧 Lv180
*Graphic Designer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dischordia View Post
Sure thing. But bear in mind that some of those "news" were vague and some were not EP6-related at all. Don't pull a strawman, where you used a similar proof to back you up. It doesn't work.
Except it isn't a strawman. We have put all updates in order to show to everyone what we are doing during that period of time, which means: not only Episode 6 but other things as well.
Quote:
Underlined. Why? The priority should be the new works, not the older ones.
A group is split for that very reason. It is so that a person's work won't interfere with the other's. One can do the text while the other can do the program to display the text.
"Your conception" of priority for this project is new content. "Our" priority is Umineko as a whole. By the way, our group is split into the tasks we have listed for ages in our website and readme, which is the very reason why we could go for the 1-4 and not completely 6, because Chrono was way too busy, so he had little time for translation. While he was busy with pressing/stalling matters, the rest of us were going through 1-4 instead of idly waiting for any "miracle" regarding Chrono's free time. Should the rest of the team remain on standby before Chrono can do something with Episode 6, or couldn't we just take this downtime to actually deal with 1-4? This is the main reason why we were doing that and the point why I said that decision didn't have any impact to Episode 6 release.
Quote:
"No progress" is still news. You're giving us something instead of not telling us anything, not allowing contact with the community when it comes to real progress, and so on. You don't have to do an everyday/every week update, you just have to have touch with the community. Don't come and say something every two weeks, try to reply instead of making us feel ignored.

No. It means we don't know about anything whatsoever related to how things are going. Are you saying that, after all those translations W-H has done, you'd just lie to those who trust you? Still, a lie can give us comfort and bring less dissatisfaction.
Lying would be a grand disservice, and frankly speaking, it would be obvious to see that the progression doesn't match the previous reports at some point. I'm repeating again: communication is only fine if we actually have something to say. When we already reported we are stuck, it is redundant to say it again, rather we wait for getting back on gears to actually report that. Saying after a week "we are still stuck" would definitely have no better impact than saying nothing.
Quote:
Lack of contact within the group itself? what is this? Chrono comes here every once in a while too, why do you have to be his voice? Also. Chrono has the precise information, however, it's not shared at all looking as though as there's something in his way, when there shouldn't be.
It seems you didn't follow the context here: as Keternal explained, chrono is very busy with the translation and IRL matters to the point he can't even keep it up with forums. In fact, he didn't take part of any discussion on AS since early august (and although he does log in at times, it doesn't mean he is somewhat free). And to be blunt, he didn't show up recently, but he warned us about that, so it was expected. So I think it is natural for us to be his voice.

Quote:
Don't put words in my mouth, please. I never said "lack of news = 0 progress", I just said that it means we have no idea about what's really going on and we're left to assumptions, and due to past records, it's quite hard to have a complete trust after all the troubles that happened within the wait for EP6.
I do not claim that you said that, but that's only conclusion I can interpret with sentences like "probatio diabolica" when TehCron asked you to prove we aren't working.
Quote:
It was a joke, a joke.
For some reason, your joke should be worded in a better fashion, considering you were ordering me not to tease people.

That's it. End of the discussion. Like Keternal and I said: we can't provide anything more past this point.
Old 2010-09-06, 13:23   Link #4639
chounokoe

Send a message via MSN to chounokoe
Phew, some of the comments in this thread clearly shows that many people don't actually consider the work behind a translation progress.
I can't speak for W-H here (and I don't want to), but when I work on a translation in a team (even if it's a commercial one) communication is not always even, so giving out information often prooves to be a lot more difficult than some people here make it sound. It's not like there is an automatic counter that somehow miraculously spits out the percentage of what you have done so far.

For example I don't know how many translators W-H actually has on their team, but even if there were only two, that means you would have to get notice from those two and the dates would have to be as close as possible to each other, to come up with a reliable number.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dischordia
You don't have to do an everyday/every week update, you just have to have touch with the community. Don't come and say something every two weeks, try to reply instead of making us feel ignored.
I understand the 'need' to know more about the progress of something, but they are not obligated to give out anything. I think they have proven to be devoted enough to the project to not just dump it for no reason, so I would just try to believe what Klash said 'No news is good news'.
What's the merrit in knowing that 17,45% have been translated?! 17,45% of what anyway? Lines? Words? Pages? Filesize? Assuming those 17,45% were the lines, even that does not actually tell anything about how it will advance further.
The next 82,55% could prove so much more easy (thus making it quicker) or even the other way around.

I can understand why Klash is mildly offended by such statements. They are doing it so more people can enjoy the Episodes. Nobody said you are not allowed to criticize, but please at least make it sound reasonable and not just like a little child screaming for 'more' and 'better' everytime it grows tired of something.
It's not like knowing a number let's you read the Episode any faster...

Ah well, I'm not a member of W-H so I don't know about their internal structure, so I'm pretty much left to guess, but what they delivered so far (even though I only read the full-translation up to Episode 3) was very good.
Often in commercial translation it's the deadline which kills a good translation. I know how hard it feels if you have too much to do in not enough time (like translating 2 manga volumes in 2 days as a part-time job) and so it does start to show in the quality...not that things are incorrect, but the time to make it sound nice is missing.

Nah, just letting off some steam because I know how it stinks if you really want to do something right and there are still people nagging about it.
You might as well ignore me, as I said, I'm no part of W-H...just a fellow translator, feeling stabbed in the heart seeing criticizm like that.
Old 2010-09-06, 14:09   Link #4640
Dischordia

Quote:
Originally Posted by chounokoe View Post
Phew, some of the comments in this thread clearly shows that many people don't actually consider the work behind a translation progress.
I'm not complaining about the translation process, and I don't think anyone is.
Quote:
For example I don't know how many translators W-H actually has on their team, but even if there were only two, that means you would have to get notice from those two and the dates would have to be as close as possible to each other, to come up with a reliable number.
It's not that complicated, but this is just from my own past experience. Things may very well work differently here.
Quote:
I understand the 'need' to know more about the progress of something, but they are not obligated to give out anything. I think they have proven to be devoted enough to the project to not just dump it for no reason, so I would just try to believe what Klash said 'No news is good news'.
They are not obligated, but would that be worrisome? You know the reason the GF "group" appeared was because of how things were being handled, right? I thought that they wanted to avoid this again by joining with GF, but that doesn't seem to be the case.

Quote:
I can understand why Klash is mildly offended by such statements. They are doing it so more people can enjoy the Episodes. Nobody said you are not allowed to criticize, but please at least make it sound reasonable and not just like a little child screaming for 'more' and 'better' everytime it grows tired of something.
It's not like knowing a number let's you read the Episode any faster...
I think I'm being very reasonable. The complains have just been accumulating for a while now, and I even told my reasons. Knowing a little number does help, too. It tells you how well the progress is going.
Quote:
Ah well, I'm not a member of W-H so I don't know about their internal structure, so I'm pretty much left to guess, but what they delivered so far (even though I only read the full-translation up to Episode 3) was very good.
Often in commercial translation it's the deadline which kills a good translation. I know how hard it feels if you have too much to do in not enough time (like translating 2 manga volumes in 2 days as a part-time job) and so it does start to show in the quality...not that things are incorrect, but the time to make it sound nice is missing.
I'm not complaining about how their work. They do release what they work on and take it seriously, and they got respect for that. But, See below.
Quote:
...just a fellow translator, feeling stabbed in the heart seeing criticism like that.
The criticism here wasn't directed at anyone with their specialties. Their work is fine. It was directed at how they treat the ones that trust them, or that used to trust. Again, looking at the 6% was jarring. And even more with all that happened with the GF group.

@TehChron: Revise what trolling means, please. This is really my honest opinion.

Tags
translation