AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Support > Tech Support

Notices

Old 2006-08-15, 01:48   Link #21
Maceart
Doremi-fansubs founder
*Fansubber

Sadly, the Bestbuy deal is over, otherwise you couldn't gotten a Toshiba Satellite A105-S4211 for only 599 dollars.

Intel Core Duo 1.67 ghz
512 mb ram
80 gb HD
Intel Graphics Accelerator 950
15.4 inch WXGA LCD

AIR 2005! Kanon 2006! CLANNAD 2007-2008! Planetarian OAV/Movie 2010?
Maceart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-08-15, 04:09   Link #22
Potatochobit
Certified Organic

you really need to consider battery power with your laptop. my girlfriend wanted that fujitsu so bad and we got it for her and it cost 2500 dollars. sad thing is it last 2 hours exactly and runs out of power. the thing should have come with a sticker on the box saying gas powered generator not included.

the last 2 years dell has made a good laptop. its the silver one with the blue color around the key board. it is very durable and sturdy and has excellent battery life, like 6 hours worth of power to watch DVD at full volume. it is also very light weight. i have lived in texas and we have bought lots of dell stuff in the past and the older laptops always had problems they were trash. but you wont be disappointed with the current models.

oh yeah, another problem with the fujitsu is the website is in japanese!!!! there is a tiny english one with the main updates, but the descriptions are all typed in broken english, they dont take down old patches. updating software from there was a PAIN. i suggest sticking with an english company or a main stream one that is not in english. toshiba laptops have had good reviews a year or so ago, but i would still avoid them due to the same problems like fujitsu. also who knows when they may pull out of the computer market. although u want to buy an upto date and well equipped laptop i would stay away from latest technology such as like a 64 processor. the price sky rockets since the parts have not been produced efficiently and cheaply'; and usually that means the parts eat enormous amounts of power. like that stupid super bright fujitsu screen we have i can bake cookies on it.
Potatochobit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-08-15, 07:46   Link #23
Jinto
Asuki-tan Kairin ↓

I think Intels smart cash really is an improvement for energy efficient yet powerfull mobile computing. Shared memory will always come with an overhead of memory management, but considering the sizes of the caches today, the energy consumption of such memory management units is next to nothing. And for multithreaded computing with shared synchronized data, shared memory is the fastest possible way of caching anyway.

ATI and NVidia mobile chips come -like their desktop counterparts- with energy safing options. They usually run on lower corespeeds, with less active memory and stuff when they are used solely for desktop rendering. But will burn energy when they have to do the tough stuff like 3D rendering.

Btw. battery runtime usually depends on two things. The overall energy consumption of the notebook, and the size of the battery. In my Dell example I was considering a 85 WHr 9-cell Lithium Ion Primary Battery, that should be enough to run at least 3 hours (not gaming), because thats 1/3rd more power then a typical battery has. 85WHr means you can run it 1h if the system has a consumption of 85W. Well, I suppose normal notebook applications won't use that much power (but gaming surely needs)... 25W sounds realistic, when the display is not running on the everbrightest level.
Old 2006-08-15, 14:08   Link #24
durrem
[megaplay] *sparkles*

Hmm, all of those laptops are pretty big and heavy for something to take notes on. I'd recommend something with a 14" 4:3 screen at about 5 lbs. My sister's IBM T42 (I think this is the one) would be perfect, but it isn't for playing games. Maybe you could do some research on which current models are like this (the T42 is a couple of years old).

*looks around*

maybe like this one.
durrem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-08-17, 08:44   Link #25
SirJeannot
AT Field

if you want some gaming performance with ibm/lenovo, you'll have to go for the t42p. (p means the über ones, with faster hdd and faster graphics card).
i am myself buying a t60p instead of t60 next week because the x1400 feels too weak :/
Old 2006-08-24, 18:00   Link #26
Candy72

http://www.compusa.com/products/prod...ct_code=336978

Here is what I currently have being held for me till tomorrow. I don't think I'm going to be able to beat that price. What I need to know though is if I get that X1400 be good enough for me. My gf wants a laptop also so I could always give her that one when I'm ready for a new one. Not the core 2 duo but the one that is coming out sometime next year. I forget the name of it but it's due out in April.

Also I have some guy that works in a computer store seeing whats the best deal he can get me on a gaming mobile laptop. So i'm waiting to hear his reply on that as well. Since he's a friend he's going to try to get me the excat price the maunfactor will send it out for. He's also looking at the higher end carded ones with X1800/7800 ones so I'm not expecting the 899 price tag I see on the one above.

Thank you all for the help. I've looked at every suggestion and so many different laptop sites it's not even funny. Even checked out every store in the area that sold laptops. When it comes to my hard earned money I make sure I'm getting the best deal possible.

Last edited by Candy72; 2006-08-26 at 11:32.
Candy72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-08-25, 23:57   Link #27
CaiSter21

Quote:
Originally Posted by Candy72
http://www.compusa.com/products/prod...ct_code=336978

Here is what I currently have being held for me till tomorrow. I don't think I'm going to be able to beat that price. What I need to know though is if I get that X1400 be good enough for me. My gf wants a laptop also so I could always give her that one when I'm ready for a new one. Not the core 2 duo but the one that is coming out sometime next year. I forget the name of it but it's due out in April.

Also I have some guy that works in a computer store seeing whats the best deal he can get me on a gaming mobile laptop. So i'm waiting to hear his reply on that as well. Since he's a friend he's going to try to get me the excat price the maunfactor will send it out for. He's also looking at the higher end carded ones with X1800/7800 ones so I'm not expecting the 899 price tag I see on the one above.

Thank you all for the help. I've looked at every suggestion and so many different laptop sites it's not even funny. Even checked out every store in the area that sold laptops. When it comes to my harde arned money I make sure I'm getting the best deal possible.

holy crap!
am i reading this correctly?!?!

$899 for 2 gigs of DDR2 ram, gigabit ethernet, 120 gb HD, AND Core DUO?!?!

thats some deal you got there!
CaiSter21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-08-26, 10:25   Link #28
durrem
[megaplay] *sparkles*

They're probably clearing out the Core Duo laptops in anticipation of the Core 2 Duo ones coming out.
durrem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-11-06, 23:44   Link #29
GoTz
Deleted

This is a farely old thread, but I'll post in here anyways because I'm pertty sure if I make a new thread it would be merged with this one anyways...

I'm looking into buying a laptop. I want one due to mobility, school, music and some gaming fun. I'm wondering what the best specs would be such as how fast the processor should be, how much ram (i'm thinking 1 or 2 gig min) and how much harddrive space i would need.

Also...what brand of laptop would be the best? I was looking into a dell, but if i want all the things i want (512 vid card etc etc) it would come out to nearly 4k or even higher. I went to newegg and they had some interesting notebooks with sufficient speeds for cheaper prices, but brands i'm not too sure about such as Asus, acer, etc etc.

Edit: Also, I've noticed that most notebooks lately have Windows Media Center installed. Would this be better than having Windows XP or even Vista?

Currently Watching:Bleach, Naruto, Vampire Knight, Nabari no Ou, Code Geass 2, Macross Frontier, KGNE, Higurashi,
Kanon 2006,
Top Favorites:Scrapped Princess, Wolf's Rain, Juuni Kokki, Hunter x Hunter, Code Geass, Serei no Moribito, Death Note, Eureka Seven, Claymore

Last edited by GoTz; 2006-11-06 at 23:55.
GoTz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-11-06, 23:59   Link #30
Rich
AnimeSuki's Hentai-sama

Send a message via ICQ to Rich Send a message via MSN to Rich
Quote:
Originally Posted by GoTz View Post
This is a farely old thread, but I'll post in here anyways because I'm pertty sure if I make a new thread it would be merged with this one anyways...

I'm looking into buying a laptop. I want one due to mobility, school, music and some gaming fun. I'm wondering what the best specs would be such as how fast the processor should be, how much ram (i'm thinking 1 or 2 gig min) and how much harddrive space i would need.

Also...what brand of laptop would be the best? I was looking into a dell, but if i want all the things i want (512 vid card etc etc) it would come out to nearly 4k or even higher. I went to newegg and they had some interesting notebooks with sufficient speeds for cheaper prices, but brands i'm not too sure about such as Asus, acer, etc etc.

Edit: Also, I've noticed that most notebooks lately have Windows Media Center installed. Would this be better than having Windows XP or even Vista?
what is your budget.... because i know some good brands that are very kick ass such as Alien ware or something which is better and more kickass is voodoo. you should really check out the vooodoo. they are cheap for what they give you and i guarantee that after buying one you don't need to ever buy a new computer again :P
Rich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-11-07, 00:28   Link #31
GoTz
Deleted

well...i'm trying not to go over the 4k mark

Currently Watching:Bleach, Naruto, Vampire Knight, Nabari no Ou, Code Geass 2, Macross Frontier, KGNE, Higurashi,
Kanon 2006,
Top Favorites:Scrapped Princess, Wolf's Rain, Juuni Kokki, Hunter x Hunter, Code Geass, Serei no Moribito, Death Note, Eureka Seven, Claymore
Old 2006-11-07, 21:57   Link #32
GoTz
Deleted

What would be better for a laptop...duo core 2 or pentium 4 (3ghz)??

i know that the duo core system is better for power management, but is the low speeds of 2, 2.16 and 2.32 okay?

edit: nevermind i did my research i'm going with core 2 duo...

How bout for screen resolution? Should I just settle with Alienware® m5750 17" WideXGA+ 1440 x 900 LCD
or shell out the extra 200 for Alienware® m5750 17" WideUXGA 1920 x 1200 LCD

Kanon 2006,

Last edited by GoTz; 2006-11-07 at 22:21.
Old 2006-11-07, 22:34   Link #33
Epyon9283
Geek

Send a message via ICQ to Epyon9283 Send a message via AIM to Epyon9283
I have a 1440x900 display on my laptop (and desktop). I think its enough screen real estate. Its a bitch to find good wallpaper though.
Epyon9283 is offline   Reply With Quote