AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Support > Tech Support

Notices

Old 2006-09-01, 02:25   Link #1
CaiSter21

cheap Gigabit Ethernet setup

ok, so i just got my brand new Cyperpower PC and i get some pretty harsh Ping rates when playing ping

i even get dropped sometimes

so i was wondering if there is any way to get a cheap Gigabit setup

some need items are an NIC (Network Interface Card), Cat5 cables, and a router (preferably one with 108.11g, since i already have a wireless network in the house)

i hope that this can all cost somewhere inbetween $100-$150
CaiSter21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-09-03, 11:47   Link #2
Kimura-sensei
Retired AOne Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaiSter21
ok, so i just got my brand new Cyperpower PC and i get some pretty harsh Ping rates when playing ping

i even get dropped sometimes

so i was wondering if there is any way to get a cheap Gigabit setup

some need items are an NIC (Network Interface Card), Cat5 cables, and a router (preferably one with 108.11g, since i already have a wireless network in the house)

i hope that this can all cost somewhere inbetween $100-$150
Er... it's not going to help with your ping, because even 10-BaseT ethernet is sufficient for gaming. 1000-BaseT won't do a darn thing. The bottleneck is either your router or your internet provider.

If you still want to setup a gigabit local network, you have two choices: Get dirt cheap but poor support or no support for jumbo frames (significantly increases transfer speeds on your local network), or pay some extra dollars for good/high end quality for reliable support for jumbo frames.

TP-Link gigabit cards go for $10 or so.
http://www.pcdirect.com/product.asp?...ku=NTP-TG-3269

3COM $36 -- best network cards out there, reliable and fast.
http://www.ictcompany.com/store/prod...?id=306&idr=59

Next, you need Cat5e or Cat6 cable. Cat5 will still work, but it'll have some signal noise and slow your transfer speed. If you plan to install the cable in your walls, go with Cat6 or 7, because 10gigabit network is already here and it won't work on Cat5 or 5e.

To connect it all, you need a router:
d-link DGL-4300 $126
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16833127158
It has wireless and gigabit, but no jumbo frame support at all.

I don't know of any gigabit wireless router that supports jumbo frames. If you want it, you better buy an ethernet gigabit switch and hook it up to your existing wireless router.

Netgears are popular consumer models with jumbo frame 9k support.
5port gigabit
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16833122140

8port gigabit
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16833122111
Kimura-sensei is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-09-03, 14:12   Link #3
CaiSter21

oh!
thanks for the info!

so then what exactly does Gigabit do?
speed up downloads?
Old 2006-09-03, 14:33   Link #4
KNETTER2000
Rei! What have you done!

Quote:
oh!
thanks for the info!

so then what exactly does Gigabit do?
speed up downloads?
The speed of downloads and also uploads is limited/defined by the speed of the internetline you are on.
Gigabit does nothing to speed up that external line, it doesn't lower pings, it only boost throughput on your local network between Gbit clients and -hardware.

( or if you have a Gbit internetconnection to connect to, but I don't see that happening anytime soon, Gbit homelines

It seems to me you have poor routing to whatever source you try to connect to while playing.. unfortunatley, there is no hardware you yourself can buy that can change that.
KNETTER2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-09-04, 17:22   Link #5
CaiSter21

i have a D-Link DI-524 with comcast home internet
Old 2006-09-05, 04:09   Link #6
AOforever1

Send a message via AIM to AOforever1 Send a message via MSN to AOforever1
I would also like to suggest that you avoid any ext. cables as they severly deteriorate the signal and hence reduce speed (I had to run 150 ft)
AOforever1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-09-05, 07:04   Link #7
KNETTER2000
Rei! What have you done!

Quote:
i have a D-Link DI-524 with comcast home internet
That would be a 6Mbit line?

I'm sticking with my first thought and that is that you might have poor routing.

Cable length is not an issue, except when you go over 100meter cablelength ( that's the maximum length that any 100/1000 Mbit line may be, cat 5/cat 5E etc)

But still, shorter is better..
KNETTER2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-09-05, 09:10   Link #8
Kimura-sensei
Retired AOne Staff

You have a D-Link DI-524? No wonder... half your problem is right there. It's a slow piece of junk. All routers are essentially PC's that run linux or some other OS that routes your data, and each router also have a different processor speed. Make sure you buy a router that's fast and efficient.

The D-link DGL-4300 $126 I recommended earlier is a great choice. Currently benchmarked as the 2nd fastest router out on the market today. It mets many of your needs... it's fast, it has wireless, and has 4 ports gigabit ethernet.

The other half of your problem is your ISP. There's not a lot you can do about that, but what you can do is flush out any possible corrupt data in your cablemodem. Just pull the power plug out of your cablemodem, wait 30 seconds, then plug it back in.

And there's one remaining issue that hasn't been answered yet... on the computer you play games with, how is that PC connected to your router? By ethernet cable? Or by wireless? If you want the fastest performance with low ping, you must hook it up by ethernet cable. If you insist on using wireless, make sure there's no active cordless phones (not cellphones) around because cordless phones share the same bandwidth as your wireless internet.

As for gigabit. It's the speed for your local ethernet network. Gigabit or 1000Base-T (1000mbps), is useful for people who transfer a lot of data between computers in their homes. Such as transfering divx movies from your PC to the media PC downstairs in the livingroom to watch on TV. For me, I transfer anywhere from 200-500 gigs of data on a daily basis (Yeah, we're talking about the size of a 500gig hard drive), so it's very convient versus the old external hard drive way (USB2 and Firewire is too slow) For most people, 100Base-T ethernet (100mbps) is more than plenty for accessing the internet or playing games... won't even come close to using up the entire bandwidth unless you're transfering huge data like me.
Old 2006-09-05, 10:55   Link #9
CaiSter21

alright, thanks!

i might get a new router, but is there anything cheaper than the DGL-4300?

is there a good bang for the buck router?

like something around the $40-$50 mark?

and i connect the computer with an ethernet cord
Old 2006-09-05, 14:15   Link #10
vietpimp

Quote:
alright, thanks!

i might get a new router, but is there anything cheaper than the DGL-4300?

is there a good bang for the buck router?

like something around the $40-$50 mark?

and i connect the computer with an ethernet cord
It seems like you want a gigabit router to play games. It probably won't help much unless you are playing some multiplayer games with people on your network. If that is not the case try forwarding the ports that you are gaming on and see if that would help the drop rates and what not. If you have comcast like me you'll never see a gigabit speed anyway so why bother getting it. Just get a linksys router for cheap.
vietpimp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-09-07, 22:34   Link #11
Kimura-sensei
Retired AOne Staff

Eh... depends on how much you want to compromise in speed. Slower the router, the more ping loss you'll have when you play games.

D-link 634 $70 = about same performance speed as the DGL-4300, but no gigabit ethernet.

That's your best bang for the buck. Everything else either cost more than that D-link 634, or the performance is significantly worse than those d-links.

If you don't use wireless at all, your next option is the Airlink101 AR504 which goes around $30 or so. They do make wireless versions but they cost more, but the catch is... I'm not familiar with the company nor do I see any benchmark reviews on them.
Old 2006-09-08, 15:40   Link #12
chris
[root@localhost]#
*IT Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kimura-sensei
You have a D-Link DI-524? No wonder...
I beg to differ, There is nothing wrong with these routers other then the Revision E V5.00 having problems cloning the mac adress, which is nothign a firmware update wont handle.
chris is offline   Reply With Quote