AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series

Notices

Old 2009-01-18, 12:56   Link #221
-Sho-
~Omedetô~

The colors and design look like an ancient anime .
Well , don't like Munto's suit , he's like a pedo ...
Dunno if i will follow this anime !
-Sho- is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-01-18, 13:09   Link #222
musume_no_hoshi
~*Eternal Bakaness*~

Quote:
Originally Posted by germanturkey View Post
so the ep i watched was made in 2003? i'm confused XD
95% of the animation you seen in episode 1 of 'Sora wa miageru...' was made in 2003. Munto's first OVA was made in 2003, the episode just copy and pasted the OVA into an episodic format. They also changed the aspect ratio from 4:3 to 16:9

If I saw the OVA back at 2003, I would have been so AMAZED by the animation. Maybe even more then AIR amazed me back when it was airing.
Old 2009-01-18, 13:37   Link #223
Un1234l

Quote:
Originally Posted by Westlo View Post
I wouldn't say it was very good by today's standards but it's better than what some people are saying but it is OVA quality after all. From what I saw of the first 20 minutes of Munto 2 (was going to watch the rest before the fansub came out... no point now..) is much better looking and those episodes based on it should be the best animated of the series.
Quote:
Originally Posted by jennkei View Post
I'm confused..Munto 2 in the OVA? Isn't Munto TV's ep 2 showing on the 21st, or was there an early one? ._.
Munto had two (2) OVA releases. So what Westlo was talking about was not Sora o Miageru Shoujo no Hitomi ni Utsuru Sekai (damn...) episode 2, but the second OVA of Munto.

On to the episode.

I liked it. And to all of you who compared it to White Album; coincidentally I watched the first episode of White Album before Munto. I found both interesting, but not captivating (much like my first impression on the first episode of Gurren Lagann). I'd also agree with Kaoshin_Sama - Just when I was finally absorbing the information, they changed scenes. Luckily, I have already seen it before, so I understood the story. However, I think first-time viewers would be confused and baffled. The ending was particularily jarring for me. Yes, it was intentionally made to be a cliff-hanger... but it is really frustrating when I have been constantly bombarded with sudden scene shifts.

------------------------------

While watching episode one, I noticed some things different than from the OVA. Most of it was discussed here.

Bolded for major changes
  • Different voice actors/actresses (obviously)
  • Different scene direction
  • (Slightly) different dialogue
  • Inclusion of more prominent background music
  • Redrawing of some objects, scenes
  • Inclusion of new material
  • (Slightly) remade scenes
  • Inclusion of Opening and Ending themes

As well, I did a side-by-side comparison of Sora o.... and Munto, and found that:
  • While some dialogue was changed, they still retained the same meaning. Also of note, I found the transitions of the dialogue in the remake to be more natural.
  • Some scenes were different - in the OVA, when Yumemi and friends were walking to school, we are actually shown that Yumemi sees Munto descending to Earth. In the remake, we do not. This makes sense as we have not been introduced to him yet, unlike in the OVA where he was one of the first introduced. I actually the scene in the remake more; it gives us the same feeling as Ichiko and Suzume - "What wrong?" with her?

Seiyuu:

Yumemi
I found Yumemi's seiyuu in the original to be much more fitting. Haruna Mima conveyed Yumemi's snarkiness and attitude really well. Her younger sounding voice is also a plus point. Like what other members have said, she sounds too mature and lady-like in the remake.

For those who would like a comparison between voices but who have no access to the OVA, think of it like this.

[Scene where Yumemi and family are at the dinner table. Where Yumemi is telling her brother to "Shut up"]

Original VA
Had a tone of voice that can be described as 'indifferent' and snarky.
Sounds somewhat like Maka Albarn (Soul Eater).

New VA
Had a tone of voice that can be described as serene. Gentle yet playful, kind yet assertive.

Munto
Daisuke Ono fits... slightly. In my opinion, I find that his voice would be far more suited to Kazuya. Daisuke's 'noble', young, bishounen, and somewhat serene voice just does not fit 'Munto-sama', who is slightly arrogant.

----------------------------

All in all, I am interested in watching this series. I have seen the first OVA yet not the second, so I am seeing how that will turn out.

Something to think about:

When KyoAni finishes recapping the events from the OVAs, will they retain the same style, or use a more updated one? That was a very bold move reusing the animation footage, Kyoto Animation.
Un1234l is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-01-18, 13:42   Link #224
-Sho-
~Omedetô~

I don't understand why are you comparing with white album omg ? its not the same anime type ...
-Sho- is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-01-18, 13:48   Link #225
Sheba
RUN, YOU FOOLS!

Location: Formerly Iwakawa base and Chaldea. Now Teyvat, the Astral Express & the Outpost
Quote:
Originally Posted by Un1234l View Post

Something to think about:

When KyoAni finishes recapping the events from the OVAs, will they retain the same style, or use a more updated one? That was a very bold move reusing the animation footage, Kyoto Animation.
They will move on to the new character designs shown on their site. Time shift in the anime will likely be the justification for that.
Sheba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-01-18, 14:08   Link #226
Tiberium Wolf

What new char designs? Link pls
Old 2009-01-18, 14:11   Link #227
musume_no_hoshi
~*Eternal Bakaness*~

Quote:
Originally Posted by -Sho- View Post
I don't understand why are you comparing with white album omg ? its not the same anime type ...
I personally compared the two because with both shows, I was bored out of my mind while watching it, yet I still wasn't doodling or multitasking, I concentrated on the show, I wanted to know what happens next. They're both interesting yet boring at the same time, which I found quite weird that I wasn't the only one that felt this way. Both shows tries really hard with symbolism and personalised direction, but some how they all fail and make the show fall apart. Also, both shows got good opening and ending songs

So techically, we're not comparing the two shows because of the story or characters. They're comparable because the feeling they give to the audience
Old 2009-01-18, 14:28   Link #228
orion
Waiting for more taiyuki!

Quote:
Originally Posted by germanturkey View Post
so the ep i watched was made in 2003? i'm confused XD
Quote:
Originally Posted by musume_no_hoshi View Post
95% of the animation you seen in episode 1 of 'Sora wa miageru...' was made in 2003. Munto's first OVA was made in 2003, the episode just copy and pasted the OVA into an episodic format. They also changed the aspect ratio from 4:3 to 16:9

If I saw the OVA back at 2003, I would have been so AMAZED by the animation. Maybe even more then AIR amazed me back when it was airing.
Color pallet also changed. New scene added. Not a simple copy and paste.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Edgewalker View Post
I think you are confusing art quality with animation quality. Its the art in Munto thats bland and outdated, but the actual animation ( IE flow from one frame to the next ) is still very good by today's standards.
I totally agree.
Old 2009-01-18, 14:29   Link #229
Skyfall
Lost in my dreams...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiberium Wolf View Post
How about simply watching the Opening ?
Old 2009-01-18, 14:39   Link #230
orion

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiberium Wolf View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Skyfall View Post
Don't forget the ED. I like ED > OP.
Old 2009-01-18, 15:59   Link #231
Tiberium Wolf

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skyfall View Post
Strange... how did I miss it?
Old 2009-01-18, 16:15   Link #232
asgiov

So It seems like they are just recreating the OVAs to a longer series? Might not be so bad. It does seem like it's taking it's time to pick up on the story, but it seems like it COuLD be very good. I never saw the original OVAs.

It doesn't seem like this is going to interfere with KyoAni's other work though, so I wouldn't worry about Haruhi and such. Considering this is airing concurrently with Clannad ~after Story~.

IT seems to me like Kyoani has so much money now, they decided to go ahead and do something for themselves.

Anyways, the music, characters, and story all seem really interesting and good. Anyways, I'm looking forward to seeing more of this.
asgiov is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-01-18, 16:22   Link #233
orion

Well Kadokawa is involved in this too. That's prob where the extra money is coming from.
Old 2009-01-18, 17:47   Link #234
Malkuth
Banned

Send a message via MSN to Malkuth
Quote:
Originally Posted by -Sho- View Post
Have you heard of the category called ... BORING
Malkuth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-01-18, 18:01   Link #235
SkoolRumble4Ya

I was hoping this show to be good but it's kind of boring in the first episode but I can't judge yet until I see some more episodes. I like the ending theme though.
SkoolRumble4Ya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-01-18, 18:35   Link #236
ZODDGUTS

Found the first episode to be good not boring at all, the action scenes were very well animated.
ZODDGUTS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-01-18, 19:34   Link #237
Edgewalker
Nani ?

FYI to all those who are watching munto for the first time and are confused by the first ep, the second half of the first OVA ( AKA what will be ep 2 ) makes a lot more sense.
Edgewalker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-01-18, 20:04   Link #238
orion

Well you can't expect to understand everything in a first ep especially when you're plunged into the middle of an ongoing war.
Old 2009-01-18, 20:28   Link #239
jennkei
Screenshot Fiend

Hmm they explained more than they did for Koukaku no Regios! XD I thought there was a fair bit of explanation...especially that old man going on and on. I translated that bit from the subs I watched,and came up with a chunk of paragraph that sounded like it came out from some history book. XD

Un1234l: I get it now, was thrown off by the comment about subs. Nice analysis, by the way! I can't really tell how Daisuke Ono will work out as Munto, but I -am- liking Yumemi's seiyuu.
jennkei is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-01-18, 23:33   Link #240
nadare

Send a message via MSN to nadare
Quote:
Originally Posted by asgiov View Post
So It seems like they are just recreating the OVAs to a longer series? Might not be so bad. It does seem like it's taking it's time to pick up on the story, but it seems like it COuLD be very good. I never saw the original OVAs.
No no...

For those who haven't watched the OVA

The first few episodes are simply a recap of the first 2 OVA. They are recapping it for those who never saw the OVA. The 2nd OVA ended in a cliffhanger.

And for those who says its simply boring and haven't watched the OVA, that is quite normal. First half of the OVA was a bit boring, it picked up on the 2nd half. But overall the 1st OVA is a bit boring. The first OVA also had garnered low reviews.

Its the 2nd OVA which actually caught the eyes of the reviewers. The pacing, animation improved. Basically it gets boring for a few episodes, but the pace will go faster as episodes go by.

I actually like the art. Its pleasing to the eyes. The colors aren't too strong. It reminds me of watercolors.

p.s. Doesn't Yumemi look like a woman when she wears those earrings? Every time they show those, I always think that she's more beautiful than cute.

So every time she speaks with those earrings on the screen. I can't help but feel the voice fit very well.
nadare is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
fantasy