AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Retired > Retired A-L > Death Note

Notices

Old 2012-07-16, 02:26   Link #21
Akiak
Up and Running

Yeah, I'm a bit late to the party, but after reading some posts here I thought I'd share my thoughts and hopefully continue the discussion.

I agree with Classified Info that both laws and Kira do not represent good, but merely an approximation of good. Both are ways of achieving good by using evil: locking someone up is evil just like killing is evil. The only difference between the laws of society and Kira is that Kira is a bit more harsh. Anyone who thinks laws are right but Kira is wrong (or viceversa) isn't making any logical sense. What you can say is that Kira is too harsh, but that doesn't make him wrong, only a bit "less" right.

I've heard lots of people say that Kira is wrong because he doesn't have the right to decide the life or death of others based on his ideals. What about the police? Do they have the right to lock people in jail based on their ideals? You might say that the right to live is precious and it is something which no one can take away from us, but what about freedom? We don't have the right to decide on the life of others, but we do have the right to decide on the freedom of others? Nonsense.

This is why there is no real difference between the law and Kira. And this is why I disagree with L and Near. But that doesn't mean I agree with Kira.

In my opinion, we do not have the right to decide what is right and wrong for other people, but only for ourselves. So yes, laws are wrong and Kira is wrong. But the way our society is, we need laws (or Kira). Humans simply aren't developed enough to be able to think on their own and decide what is right and wrong, so society has to impose a common idea of justice on everyone. It is the closest to "good" which we can get, but in truth, it is still evil.

Humans are evolving though, and if we keep going, we will get to the point where laws won't be needed anymore, and they will be seen as mere guidelines for the "stupid" humans who can't think on their own. I believe the perfect way to handle "crime" would be to announce it to the world, so that everyone knew about it and could have their own opinion of the "criminal". It's a pseudo-utopia which I believe we will reach one day, if natural disasters don't stop us along the way.
Akiak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-07-09, 12:51   Link #22
Tong
Many RPGs, Little Time

Send a message via MSN to Tong
Kinda late to the party, but just finished this amazing series!

In my opinion, it would've worked GREATLY as a Visual Novel due to all possibilities and choices.
Old 2013-12-14, 19:55   Link #23
Dop
Mmmm....

Death Note: The Musical

Tsugumi Ohba and Takeshi Obata's hit manga Death Note is being adapted into a stage musical that will run in Japan and South Korea in 2015. The musical will play in Tokyo's Nissay Theatre in April of 2015, before heading over to Seoul's LG Art Center in July and August.

Frank Wildhorn, an American composer known for songs sung by Whitney Houston ("Where Do Broken Hearts Go?") and Natalie Cole, is scoring the Death Note musical. He previously wrote the music for the Jekyll & Hyde, The Scarlet Pimpernel, The Civil War, Carmen, Wonderland, and The Count of Monte Cristo musicals. Tamiya Kuriyama, a recipient of the Japanese government's Medal with Purple Ribbon, is directing. Jack Murphy (The Civil War, Rudolf, Carmen, Wonderland, The Count of Monte Cristo) is writing the lyrics, and Ivan Menchell (The Cemetery Club, Chitty Chitty Bang Bang, Bonnie and Clyde) is writing the script. The cast has yet to be announced.

Actually, I've heard some Frank Wildhorn stuff which I've liked, and I have to admit I would quite like to hear the songs, at least...!
Dop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-12-15, 19:03   Link #24
ArrowSmith

Death Note: the Musical? What could possibly go wrong here?
ArrowSmith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2016-04-07, 01:41   Link #25
Obelisk ze Tormentor
Black Steel Knight

Deathnote rights sold by Warner. Netflix is negotiating for the live-action adaptation.
Old 2016-04-08, 00:39   Link #26
ArrowSmith

I just don't like the idea of "Death Note" being "retired". To me it's still quite vital.
Old 2016-08-03, 03:37   Link #27
Obelisk ze Tormentor
Black Steel Knight

Since the Live-Action thread is locked, I'll just post this here:

Willem Dafoe to voice Ryuk the Shinigami in Netflix's 'Death Note'

Oh, and the other castings so far for those who're not following the development:
Spoiler for Click at your own risk:
Old 2016-08-04, 13:33   Link #28
alex_drian

First Black Goku, now Black L

sorry, I can hold on hahahahahahahahahahahaha!

but seriously, only only for the outcome I want see the first episode, because seriously...
alex_drian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2017-03-22, 11:42   Link #29
MrTerrorist
Takao Tsundere Cruiser

Teaser Trailer.

Old 2017-04-12, 17:15   Link #30
ArrowSmith

Damn, it's sad for me to see this in 'Retired Series' when it's 10000x better than anything in current season.

Also it doesn't get any better in anime history than that last scene in Episode 1 when it's 'Kira conducting death' set to "Low of Solipsism". Then Light decalres to Ryuk - "I will be the god of this new world!". Ryuk realizes he's created a scenario beyond his wildest dreams.

To me the only thing recently that meets that 'epic bar' is Attack on Titan when the Colossal Titan appears after 5 years in back of Eren.
Old 2017-06-29, 10:54   Link #31
MrTerrorist
Takao Tsundere Cruiser

Official Death Note Netflix trailer is out.

Old 2017-07-04, 14:17   Link #32
zalem

God this trailer looks so bad. These characters might as well been named something totally different for all they have in common with Light and L. Since when does Light care about being one of the "good guys"? Light thinks he's a god and believes his cause is just and righteous. Since when is he so buddy buddy with Misa (Mia)? He only very reluctantly worked with Misa because Rem threatened him and because her eyes were useful. And wtf is with this angry L? L is the epitome of calm and collected. Ugh, this is looking to be one big fail.
Old 2017-07-04, 23:30   Link #33
ArrowSmith

the whitewashing of Light and blackwashing of L, why the FUCK should I bother with this?
Old 2017-08-27, 10:18   Link #34
Jaden

I've watched a lot of bad movies based on manga and games before, but holy shit. This one might be the worst of the lot - below Uwe Boll tier.
Old 2017-08-27, 19:17   Link #35
ArrowSmith

Horrible crap. Let's pretend it never existed.
Old 2017-08-27, 19:51   Link #36
Diluc
Darkhero of Monstadt

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vtR-oHiqWS0
Seeing this review youtube what make me a think, westerners people do respect anime work but why westerner studio couldn't do this?
Diluc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2017-08-27, 23:39   Link #37
alex_drian

At least I feel the spirit of Death Note, unlike other shit adaptations.
alex_drian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2017-08-28, 18:07   Link #38
Mad Pierrot
Corrupted fool

Since the Q & A section was closed I wonder if I could ask something about the original series here:

How did L arrest Misa so fast? How much evidence did he get?
Mad Pierrot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2017-08-28, 18:40   Link #39
shadow1296

I have been seeing a lot of mixed reviews on this some say it's a good matinee movie or since it's Jeremy jahns I got the review from he said it would of gotten that rating but because it's Netflix it got a better time if a little drunk and he stressed little drunk, and the others I have seen it is a terrible movie that is a blemish on the original series and should never exist, and others say it was a terrible movie but would have made a good Netflix tv series