AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Current Series > One Piece

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 2012-01-25, 04:03   Link #1
marvelB

One Piece - Chapter 654 [manga]

Welcome to the weekly manga discussion thread for One Piece.

Thread Guidelines
  • One Piece is licensed by Viz, please don't ask for or mention where to find or download the manga.
  • Please do not discuss scanlations, translation groups, etc., etc.
  • Raw requests and offers are not permitted anywhere on this forum.
  • Discuss your expectations of the chapter if it has not been published yet.
  • Posting a synopses or summary is fine (and welcome).
  • Be polite to your fellow forum members.
  • Please try to keep the discussion on topic.
  • Spoilers will not be policed in this thread, so if you haven't read the chapter yet, just stay out if you don't want to read spoilers.
Remember that the manga is licensed, do not post significant parts of the chapter. This includes images, scripts and direct translations of the manga. Summaries are OK, crops of pictures are OK (only if you need to illustrate your point) but this is it.

Okay, it's-a spoiler time! Credit goes to T for the small summary:

-Chapter title is "GAM" (as in a group of whales). Ministory features Kiwi and Mozu (aka the square sisters), as well as Lola's crew, apparently.

-Sanji and Brooke peep at Namo while she's bathing alongside Chopper. Meanwhile, the monster trio are fishing, but soon encounter a group of whales who come from Laboon's tribe! The cetaceans guide the crew to the New World's entrance.....

Yeah, the summary didn't have much content, I know. But hey, it's been a long time since we've had a chapter involving the crew just dicking around on their ship, so as strange as it may sound, I've no complaints about this (seemingly) uneventful chapter. Still, I do find it very interesting that Lola appears in the ministory so soon after Big Mama is introduced.....

But hey, here's a little something else to digest if you're disappointed with the minimal spoilers: THE VOLUME 65 COVER!

Spoiler:

Nice to finally get the enemies in color (though I would have liked to have seen them BEFORE their anime appearance). And hey, Red Hawk Luffy looks badass, too. I also find it interesting that Fukaboshi is on the cover, as well (but then again, he actually did help Luffy during the battle). As always, I'm looking forward to the SBS!
Old 2012-01-25, 05:02   Link #2
Undertaker

Yeah, I did find it weird that Fukaboshi is featured that prominently instead of the two-eye Hody...

But looks like the story will continue until SH are safely enters the NW. That also mean we might get to see Smoker very soon and SH's first real test.
Old 2012-01-25, 07:14   Link #3
~Yami~
a random Indonesian otaku

so sweet.... this is it!!! this is something I have been missed very much from this manga..... a regular day and gag from Straw hat Pirates....

Laboon~~~

and welcome to the new world
Old 2012-01-25, 07:21   Link #4
marvelB

Chapter's out!

It's a fun one, too! Once again Brooke shines, though there were lots of other amusing moments, as well (like the monster trio's obsession with catching huge fish). I also see Zoro powered up his "cannon" technique (36 to 360.... so that equals to 1,080 if all 3 swords are used).

And so we know where Laboon came from (funny to see those other whales with similar scars, though). And from the looks of it, the Straw-Hats' first NW adventure may be at that thunder island. Can't wait....!
Old 2012-01-25, 07:23   Link #5
yakumo-chan

endless.. meaningless... funny story....

is one piece?
Old 2012-01-25, 08:10   Link #6
Randrak42
ANEGO Worshiper

Awesome chapter, it's these chapters that make me love One Piece so much! some people forget that this ISN'T a battle manga, it's an adventure manga and Oda pulls it off so perfectly.

From Nami's shower (and Chopper's super adorable self) to the trio's fishing gag and Brook freaking out when he saw the whales, it was all perfectly placed. Even Robin's continuous morbid way of pointing things and Franky's random background comments. Hell I even loved Sanji a whole lot here, he suffered a bit back in the FI arc but his antics now were pure lol inducing.
God I love One Piece.

But speaking of battles, it seems like Zoro can now easily do with one sword what it took his and Luffy's combined forces to achieve back in the CP9 arc. It's actually nice to be able to compare his power from there because aside from the destruction of the Kumabot, we've barely scene Zoro actually using things that show his power-up.
Old 2012-01-25, 08:22   Link #7
Kallen4life

1 sword = 360p

3 swords = 1080p FULL HD CANNON
We are Blackwatch
We are the last line of defense
We will burn our own to hold the red line, it is the last line to ever hold
Old 2012-01-25, 09:38   Link #8
C.A.
Absolute Haruhist!
*Artist

Oda definitely did alot of research on sea creatures(and practically everything), he even drew the blobfish, which is a deep sea fish in Australia.
When I say 'My god...', god refers to Haruhi-sama.

My art album updated 11th May 2013, Science.
Deviant Art: http://ca0001.deviantart.com/
Old 2012-01-25, 09:51   Link #9
Jouten

I wonder why Nami allowed Chopper this time to bath with her? He is even older now!
Old 2012-01-25, 09:52   Link #10
C.A.
Absolute Haruhist!
*Artist

Chopper did say before that he is not interested in human females at all. Being an animal and a doctor, he is neutral in his sexuality towards humans.
When I say 'My god...', god refers to Haruhi-sama.

My art album updated 11th May 2013, Science.
Deviant Art: http://ca0001.deviantart.com/
Old 2012-01-25, 10:05   Link #11
Homura7

Sorry, guys, the only I was fixated in this chapter was Nami *drool*.
Old 2012-01-25, 10:21   Link #12
Battler-kun

I love these chapters.
It reminds me of the beginnings of One Piece.
I don't like all the flashbacks of characters which i don't care for ...and will disappear anyways for the future.

Adventure adventure with the StrawHats!
Old 2012-01-25, 10:32   Link #13
SOGESNAKE
NEW WORLD BABY~!

Send a message via MSN to SOGESNAKE
Y'know, when I had first seen those wales, I had figured that they had been Laboon's parents smashing into the opposite side of the wall Laboon was smashing into. Now, I just kinda see them as whales who also enjoy Brook's song. Course, I still see them as Laboon's family.

I actually found it really nice how emotional Brook got upon seeing the whales too~
Old 2012-01-25, 10:37   Link #14
RRW
Unspecified
*Scanlator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kallen4life View Post
1 sword = 360p

3 swords = 1080p FULL HD CANNON
remind me to this

Spoiler for Off Topic:

anyway fun chapter. some Comedy and Fanservicce is nice. but i do hope it go back to fight letter

i do wondering what caused many Island whale to have Scar? they want to destroy Redline? if So why?

or they just so big the bumped an island ?

Old 2012-01-25, 11:07   Link #15
Kanon
Kana Hanazawa ♥

Loved Sanji's headcount

I feel a bit cheated that the strawhats have seemingly bypassed Smoker thanks to that whirlpool.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RRW View Post
i do wondering what caused many Island whale to have Scar? they want to destroy Redline? if So why?
I think they were simply trying to look for Laboon.
Old 2012-01-25, 11:10   Link #16
ellifeedn
Thinker

Actually there are whales in real life that have scars from fighting and eating giant squids in the deep ocean, though those scars are probably not as bad as the ones on these whales.
Old 2012-01-25, 11:14   Link #17
Randrak42
ANEGO Worshiper

Quote:
Originally Posted by RRW View Post
anyway fun chapter. some Comedy and Fanservicce is nice. but i do hope it go back to fight letter
OP ain't about battles...in fact the best parts are outside battles...OP is all about the adventure and the crew!

I don't get why people only want battles battles battles! This ain't Bleach or whatever...
Old 2012-01-25, 11:50   Link #18
paradox13
zzz

Send a message via MSN to paradox13
Quote:
I don't get why people only want battles battles battles! This ain't Bleach or whatever...
You really don't get it do you?
Old 2012-01-25, 11:52   Link #19
Keeper

Spoiler:

God I love Luffy. Bring on the next adventure!
Old 2012-01-25, 12:05   Link #20
marvelB

Yeah, I'm pretty much with Randrak on this one. OP was never exclusively a battle manga. Frankly, I think a lot of people were just spoiled by the Enies Lobby and Marineford arcs....

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kanon View Post
I feel a bit cheated that the strawhats have seemingly bypassed Smoker thanks to that whirlpool.

Well, it's not really guaranteed that they skipped ol' Smokey. And even if they don't, there still may be some of those other nasty G5 marines lurking around, anyway....
Closed Thread