AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Retired > Retired M-Z > Tales of... > Tales of the Abyss (Archive)

Notices

Old 2008-11-10, 18:50   Link #1201
FlareKnight
User of the "Fast Draw"

Send a message via AIM to FlareKnight Send a message via MSN to FlareKnight
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shiroth View Post
We just need the two Amu fangirls to appear and say "Cool and Spicy~~!". (and why are you using spoiler tags? :3)

It was good to finally hear Koyasu's angry voice. I haven't heard that in a new show since last summer, so i've been missing it.
Would be hilarious if random people popped up to say that when Jade went back to his calm mode. Who cares if it doesn't make any sense . It was a treat to see him really get angry and probably was best for Legretta that she made a hasty retreat.
Old 2008-11-10, 18:55   Link #1202
Shiroth
Beautiful fighter.

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlareKnight View Post
Would be hilarious if random people popped up to say that when Jade went back to his calm mode. Who cares if it doesn't make any sense .
That's something we'd see thanks to DVD extras.

Quote:
It was a treat to see him really get angry and probably was best for Legretta that she made a hasty retreat.
If that scene was to carry on, i wouldn't be surprised if we seen the original Jade people keep going on about.
Old 2008-11-10, 19:11   Link #1203
NoLongerSane

By the way, if this anime does get pick up and licenced, do you expect that the game voice actors are going to be asked to reprise their roles or do you think they will get other voice actors to do the Dub?
NoLongerSane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-11-10, 19:16   Link #1204
rose-wisteria
~Cuteness is NOT a Crime~

Send a message via AIM to rose-wisteria Send a message via MSN to rose-wisteria Send a message via Yahoo to rose-wisteria
Quote:
Originally Posted by kujoe View Post
Luke may be a selfish and spoiled noble, but it's not really surprising that Van is the only person Luke listens to.
Exactly. I don't get why this is so hard to understand. Everything you say above that is accurate as well, in my opinion. Good job. I'm assuming you're a video game/anime watcher too. ^_^

Again, why is Tear so awesome in the anime? XD I love Tear. Young Tear is nice too. Hopefully, they show flashbacks of the other characters as well. Young Jade anyone?

By the way, the Asch/Luke connection should be pretty clear by now. In the game, I thought they made it obvious. I got it right when they met last episode in the game. Here, they made it even more obvious? Or is the foreshadowing/hinting only on my side?

Minnie's Blog- My thoughts, my stories.
Hey, Say, Anime!- My anime blog with a group of writers.
rose-wisteria is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-11-10, 19:19   Link #1205
Narona
Emotionless White Face

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deathkillz View Post
Yes...I am late

Thoughts on ep 7 ^^'

Spoiler:
Gonna read it

But the pinnacle of this episode was young tear XD.
Narona is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-11-10, 19:39   Link #1206
Deathkillz
~ You're dead ^__^* ~
*Graphic Designer

Send a message via MSN to Deathkillz
Quote:
Originally Posted by rose-wisteria View Post
Exactly. I don't get why this is so hard to understand.
Easy to understand doesn't mean you have to "like" what is happening. People should be able to bitch if it is right to do so
Quote:
By the way, the Asch/Luke connection should be pretty clear by now. In the game, I thought they made it obvious. I got it right when they met last episode in the game. Here, they made it even more obvious? Or is the foreshadowing/hinting only on my side?
Clear as day...but there are still a few categories in which they can fall into...okay, 2.

Siggy: hohohohoho~ | AnimeHistory welcome to our blog ~ | Summer2009 early review
Under the radar series Summer2009: Kanamemo, GA Geijutsuka Art, NEEDLESS
Deathkillz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-11-10, 19:42   Link #1207
Shiroth
Beautiful fighter.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rose-wisteria View Post
Hopefully, they show flashbacks of the other characters as well. Young Jade anyone?
I can imagine that.

I'd laugh so hard if they show young Jade.
Old 2008-11-10, 20:24   Link #1208
kujoe
from head to heel

Quote:
Easy to understand doesn't mean you have to "like" what is happening. People should be able to bitch if it is right to do so
Indeed. I don't think that anyone expressed liking it though. To some degree however, I do find his attitude quite entertaining sometimes. It's not everyday you get such an ass protagonist in a JRPG... well, at least in the ones I get to play. In anime however, that's probably not so uncommon.

I just wanted to say that Luke's behavior is a result of his environment as much as it is due to his personality. Luke is as much to blame as his shitty household and the way people treat him, and I doubt that Van alone could've made Luke such a loyal student and spoiled him.
kujoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-11-10, 20:38   Link #1209
FlareKnight
User of the "Fast Draw"

Quote:
Originally Posted by NoLongerSane View Post
By the way, if this anime does get pick up and licenced, do you expect that the game voice actors are going to be asked to reprise their roles or do you think they will get other voice actors to do the Dub?
Well if it does happen I can't see why they wouldn't long as the actors want money . While I'm sure some wouldn't mind some select voices being changed, overall I liked the group.
Quote:
Originally Posted by kujoe View Post
Indeed. I don't think that anyone expressed liking it though. To some degree however, I do find his attitude quite entertaining sometimes. It's not everyday you get such an ass protagonist in a JRPG... well, at least in the ones I get to play. In anime however, that's probably not so uncommon.

I just wanted to say that Luke's behavior is a result of his environment as much as it is due to his personality. Luke is as much to blame as his shitty household and the way people treat him, and I doubt that Van alone could've made Luke such a loyal student and spoiled him.
Could somewhat understand it and yet can't feel the same way. Personally never liked wanting to kill the protagonist I was controlling in the game before Luke . Its a change, but personally don't mind fairly likable guys being the lead. Can see the other side even if its not how I feel about it.

Agree that like many things environment and personality play a role in the way Luke is now. But while Luke was bad at times it was Van who pushed him further down that path. At the end of the day can accept multiple forces having shaped Luke. Regardless I still want to toss him off a cliff into a volcano . Difference for me between understanding Luke and not disliking him.
Old 2008-11-10, 22:22   Link #1210
vspirit
...huh?

Well, his character /is/ designed to invoke strong feelings within the players (and now, watchers), whether it be in a good way or bad. =) I didn't like him very much at first myself but then I found myself feeling sorry for him by the time
Spoiler for not much of one, I hope, since this much should now be apparent in the anime:
So yeah, it's only natural that those who are getting to know the story now don't like him very much either. It is a little hard to bear, I admit, for those who are already on his side but remember, a lot of us weren't at first either. It's a progressive thing and we went through the motions so it's only logical that others would, too, and it'd be fair to let them experience the same things the gamers did. It's part of what makes TotA enjoyable and why it's close to so many of our hearts. =)

EDIT: Come to think of it, it's easier to stomach his less charming qualities in the game simply because as the player, you are him and when you control a character, they tend to grow on you a little quicker. In the anime, all you do is watch and he has more lines and antics shown which you don't get to see or hear in the game since you need to play it (being a game and all), so the distaste would be stronger and slower to subside, I'd think.

Last edited by vspirit; 2008-11-10 at 22:42.
vspirit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-11-11, 08:06   Link #1211
SuperKnuckles
Anime Hobbyist

Quote:
Agree the action portion does get put aside for the sake of giving the story the most attention. Would be nice if they had more episodes so they could show more travel time, longer 'boss fights' and fighting through swarms of enemies. That'd be my ideal, but glad they didn't choose to slaughter the plot to show off some longer fights that wouldn't end up making sense.

Well I think Luke lost his head at the end more about social theory . Since living life according to the score is what Legretta is questioning. Doesn't seem to care about the monarchy system that both countries are employing . Unless you mean earlier when they were talking about the political importance of the Fon Master. That was pretty political.
I guess it's all of the above. There's the Fon Master politics, the politics behind Luke's master and the politics of the Score. I mean, there's a LOT of it going on behind there.

And like Luke said, most of it is either being willfully ignored by him or he's being kept in the dark. Whew. That covers most of it I guess. heh
SuperKnuckles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-11-11, 08:09   Link #1212
Crimrui
Hollow

Send a message via Yahoo to Crimrui
Eh? Young Tear? Can't wait to see that one.

Spoiler for A small little question regarding something...:
Old 2008-11-11, 09:33   Link #1213
Peanutbutter

Well, with regards to the politics, I don't think it's drilled enough into the anime watcher the importance and significance of the Score and everyone's adherence to it so far.

At least it feels that way so far for me.
Peanutbutter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-11-11, 10:11   Link #1214
Shirachi

Send a message via MSN to Shirachi
Quote:
Originally Posted by Peanutbutter003 View Post
Well, with regards to the politics, I don't think it's drilled enough into the anime watcher the importance and significance of the Score and everyone's adherence to it so far.

At least it feels that way so far for me.
It's actually the same in the game, until Legretta makes her little speech you were indifferent towards the Score (or, at least, I was). It's not until much later that you get a grasp about how messed up everything is. You're experiencing everything through Luke's POV, so what he doesn't know you don't know, which is a lot.
Shirachi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-11-11, 11:31   Link #1215
FlareKnight
User of the "Fast Draw"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shirachi View Post
It's actually the same in the game, until Legretta makes her little speech you were indifferent towards the Score (or, at least, I was). It's not until much later that you get a grasp about how messed up everything is. You're experiencing everything through Luke's POV, so what he doesn't know you don't know, which is a lot.
If there is anything that can be said about Luke it is that he doesn't have much information about things . Really at this point Legretta's speech really made me think "the score really matters that much?" With what was already going on in the series, being pulled around by events its not a surprise the Score isn't a topic to think about much. How much it matters should naturally get hit home some more as the series continues.
Old 2008-11-11, 12:46   Link #1216
Sterling01
霊夢→デレ

Website Episode previews
Spoiler for EP 8 - 11:
Old 2008-11-11, 12:52   Link #1217
Deathkillz
~ You're dead ^__^* ~
*Graphic Designer

Send a message via MSN to Deathkillz
Those sure are spoilers...

I predict 100% more of Luke's arrogance...
Quote:
If there is anything that can be said about Luke it is that he doesn't have much information about things . Really at this point Legretta's speech really made me think "the score really matters that much?" With what was already going on in the series, being pulled around by events its not a surprise the Score isn't a topic to think about much. How much it matters should naturally get hit home some more as the series continues.
I have always got this feeling that what the God Generals are doing now feel somewhat anti-heroish.

What the real evil is could be how badly people are being influenced by the score and perhaps their aim is to just "free" the world from it but that will just make them the villains of the story by defult.

Or at least Legretta may be one who is following this idea (hell knows what other reasons the other generals have).

Siggy: hohohohoho~ | AnimeHistory welcome to our blog ~ | Summer2009 early review
Under the radar series Summer2009: Kanamemo, GA Geijutsuka Art, NEEDLESS
Deathkillz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-11-11, 14:35   Link #1218
Sinestra
ショ ン (^^)
*IT Support

Send a message via AIM to Sinestra Send a message via MSN to Sinestra Send a message via Yahoo to Sinestra
Quote:

I have always got this feeling that what the God Generals are doing now feel somewhat anti-heroish.

What the real evil is could be how badly people are being influenced by the score and perhaps their aim is to just "free" the world from it but that will just make them the villains of the story by defult.

Or at least Legretta may be one who is following this idea (hell knows what other reasons the other generals have).
Thats the feeling that i got. I never felt that they were true villians i think Anti-hero is better term to describe them. They are trying to forcefully change a world that has become complacent and dependent on a relic to decide every aspect of their life I can not really fault them for wanting to change the system, i guess we can fault them for how they are carrying out their ideals.

But regardless they will be labeled villains anyway because well......we need villians lol someone has got to be the bad guy.
Old 2008-11-11, 15:33   Link #1219
yolin.shana

Tales often have that type of villains : those who are trying to 'save' the world in their own (often wrong) way, or who have reasons to do what they do. It's sometimes hard to consider them as true villains, because you can sympathize with them (killing the last boss in Symphonia was so hard for me ;_; )
yolin.shana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-11-11, 16:01   Link #1220
FlareKnight
User of the "Fast Draw"

Quote:

What the real evil is could be how badly people are being influenced by the score and perhaps their aim is to just "free" the world from it but that will just make them the villains of the story by default.

True that as individuals the God Generals will have their own opinions and goals. Just like anyone in the main party. If everyone there thought like Luke be a very difficult series to watch . Some know more about each other than others. Asch from episode 7 showed he doesn't know Largo's back story. But perhaps the greater goals are where they align fairly well.

Obviously can't say much about their role other than trying to frame it from what we've seen in the anime. They definitely are willing to take drastic measures for what they are after. Kidnapping Ion on numerous occasions and stealing Jade's ride pretty much shows that .

Tags
fantasy