AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Retired > Retired M-Z > Nanoha/Vivid Franchise

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 2008-04-19, 00:45   Link #23681
LoweGear
Secret Society BLANKET
*Graphic Designer

Backlog Breaker later, but was kinda surprised because...

Phantom Blazer? Isn't that the name of Teana's most powerful canon spell?

Against all the evil that hell can conjure, all wickedness that mankind can produce... We will send unto them, only you.
Old 2008-04-19, 01:07   Link #23682
Comartemis
He Who Smites Shippers

...so it is. Shoot, and it sounded so cool, too.

Kill the Darkfic.
Burn the Angst.
Purge the Bad End.
Old 2008-04-19, 01:32   Link #23683
USB500
*facepalm.jpg*
*Author

Send a message via MSN to USB500 Send a message via Yahoo to USB500
Phantom Blazer? Where? Link, please.

Beauty and the Red-Haired Beast, chapter 7

*runs before Yuunodas & the Mid-Childans get him*
Old 2008-04-19, 08:17   Link #23684
Comartemis
He Who Smites Shippers

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Teana_L...sive_Abilities

Kill the Darkfic.
Burn the Angst.
Purge the Bad End.
Old 2008-04-19, 08:42   Link #23685
arkhangelsk

For what it's worth

Quote:
Originally Posted by Comartemis View Post
Mmmm. All's quiet on the OC front. Time to stir things up a bit. Haxxbusters, go!

Phantom Blazer
Rico's most powerful spell, developed during his time as a student of Takamachi Nanoha. Phantom Blazer is a powerful self-enhancement spell that provides a significant boost to Rico's attack and movement speed as well as the power of his physical attacks, but can only be used when in unison with Nova.

The spell begins with Nova initializing a collection array, identical in concept to the basis of Nanoha's infamous Starlight Breaker. Instead of gathering the collected power into a beam or energy attack as Nanoha does, however, Nova redirects the accumulated power into her own systems until she has reached a desired level of strength. When this point is reached, the accumulated mana is shunted through a multi-level enhancement array and applied directly to Nova's and Rico's merged body.

Technical Consequence: Collection type? Rico will have to put off using it until near the end of the battle then. Did you notice Nanoha always uses SB last? There is a reason for that and it doesn't have to do with Anime Convention "Ultimate Attacks Go Last even if you could have finished Things Quickly by Using it First."

Collection types really mostly recycle the leftovers made from all the attacks in a typical battle (I know this is in the novel. For those who ditch the novel apparently the VFB has it so you aren't getting out that way). So if you use it at the front of a battle, you'll have almost nothing to recycle and either your spell will fizzle or you'll be forced to fire it entirely with your own energy.

But then, adding some limits there is just as well because as currently technotactically specified, it is pretty l33t.

Quote:
The benefits of this spell are multifold: for the spell's duration, Rico's movement and attack speed increase by over 500%, effectively acting as a Flash Move-type spell for the duration of the boost.
Since most Flash Moves tend to last seconds at most, and according to you this spell lasts at least a minute, this would give Rico a fairly immense advantage. If he's any good and his opponent isn't immensely superior, he can easily just win in that minute. It is kind of like giving a plane a minute to use its superior speed to work on a tank.

Quote:
In addition, Rico's body is unable to contain the entirety of the accumulated power, and acquires a sort of battle aura of magical energy which he can ignite at will, wreathing his entire body in flames and making melee combat with him especially dangerous (while Rico's flame and heat-resistant barrier jacket keeps him from roasting himself). These flames can also be directed into energy attacks or used to boost the power of Rico's melee attacks, as with his normal flames.
How long will it take others to configure their BJs to block heat?

Quote:
The downsides, however, are also multifold. While Rico developed this spell with Nanoha's assistance, he and Nova lack her natural talent with the collection template, and the charge time for this spell is almost a minute in length. Moreover, because Nova's attention must remain on maintaining the collection template, for the duration of the charge-up period Rico does not gain the benefits of being in unison with Nova, and must resort to using spells he can use without her assistance.
So, what happens after that, when the spell actually fires off? Is Nova released to fire off spells?

Here's my gamebalancing recommendation: While this spell is actually activated, the load on the Linker Core is critical. Thus, no other spells can be prepared or fired.

But then, I'm a hardliner. Often too hardline for this board. So...

Quote:
Most important, however, is the spell's effect on Rico's body.

When Rico designed the spell with Nanoha's assistance, he swore an oath to her that he would not maintain the spell for more than a minute at a time.
Given Nanoha, he won't have to keep it

Quote:
Going beyond this limit risks severe damage to Rico's body, an accelerated form of the damage done to Nanoha's body by her intensive training regimen. For every second after one minute that Rico maintains this spell, the probability of a catastrophic breakdown of his body's physical structure increases by one percent.
So, after a total of 160 seconds of activation, his body is guaranteed to be fried?

Quote:
Even if Rico adheres to this limitation, using this spell more than once or twice a week risks doing the same damage to his body as exceeding the time limit does.
So, suppose he keeps it to one minute. What kind of shape will he be in when he disengages this "Phantom" thingee? Does he just go on fighting (as long as he doesn't use Phantom again)? Or is he rendered combat ineffective by the strain? Does he have to stop fighting at once if he's to prevent temporary microdamage from becoming permanent?

Maybe he can go on if he only uses it for 20 seconds, but if he uses it for 60 he's going to have to take a break (a reasonable limitation considering the level of damage you say awaits him after 60 seconds?) Maybe he can use it every other day if he keeps spurts to 30 seconds at a go? A little more detail about the limitation might be nice here.
Old 2008-04-19, 09:07   Link #23686
Saint X
VxR Productions
*IT Support

Send a message via MSN to Saint X
Quote:
Mmmm. All's quiet on the OC front. Time to stir things up a bit. Haxxbusters, go!
Lemme Try a Crack at this...

Operation Active

Combat
Layer
Advancing
Neural
Network
Assistance
Device

C.L.A.N.N.A.D. System Ver 1.0

Begin Analysis

Quote:
[I]Phantom Blazer
Spell name Already Exists in other Spell Libararies

Quote:
The spell begins with Nova initializing a collection array, identical in concept to the basis of Nanoha's infamous Starlight Breaker. Instead of gathering the collected power into a beam or energy attack as Nanoha does, however, Nova redirects the accumulated power into her own systems until she has reached a desired level of strength. When this point is reached, the accumulated mana is shunted through a multi-level enhancement array and applied directly to Nova's and Rico's merged body.
Magic Circuit/Linker Core Overload Imminent...

Quote:
The benefits of this spell are multifold: for the spell's duration, Rico's movement and attack speed increase by over 500%, effectively acting as a Flash Move-type spell for the duration of the boost.
500% is akin to DBZ instant Transmission.

Quote:
In addition, Rico's body is unable to contain the entirety of the accumulated power, and acquires a sort of battle aura of magical energy which he can ignite at will, wreathing his entire body in flames and making melee combat with him especially dangerous (while Rico's flame and heat-resistant barrier jacket keeps him from roasting himself). These flames can also be directed into energy attacks or used to boost the power of Rico's melee attacks, as with his normal flames.
Water...

Quote:
The downsides, however, are also multifold. While Rico developed this spell with Nanoha's assistance, he and Nova lack her natural talent with the collection template, and the charge time for this spell is almost a minute in length. Moreover, because Nova's attention must remain on maintaining the collection template, for the duration of the charge-up period Rico does not gain the benefits of being in unison with Nova, and must resort to using spells he can use without her assistance. Most important, however, is the spell's effect on Rico's body.
Most Unison Devices need sync with the user...

Any fazing attacks will break that independent sync...

Any rival AOE energy collection / field neutralization will negate collection or reduce effectiveness...

Initial Anaylsis Over...
Old 2008-04-19, 09:12   Link #23687
Comartemis
He Who Smites Shippers

Quote:
Technical Consequence: Collection type? Rico will have to put off using it until near the end of the battle then.
Yup. That was sorta the point; this isn't just Rico's Starlight Breaker equivalent, it's also his Blaster System equivalent, and he won't ever use this spell unless an adversary is giving him real problems; most S-ranks and above, for instance. This spell is intended to level an uneven playing field, not dish out massive pwnage on lesser enemies.

Quote:
How long will it take others to configure their BJs to block heat?
Dunno. Could be a few seconds, or maybe they can't do it in mid-battle. Either way, blocking Rico's fire is a more pressing concern than just the heat.

Quote:
So, what happens after that, when the spell actually fires off? Is Nova released to fire off spells?
Yep, since her attention isn't focused on maintaining the collection array she can act as normal once the spell's been cast.

Quote:
Here's my gamebalancing recommendation: While this spell is actually activated, the load on the Linker Core is critical. Thus, no other spells can be prepared or fired.
That sounds reasonable, but if you don't mind, I'm going to wait for additional opinions before I add any more limitations to this spell.

Quote:
So, after a total of 160 seconds of activation, his body is guaranteed to be fried?
Yeah, and probably much sooner than that; after an extra 50 seconds, he's got a better than 50% chance of crippling himself every second.

Quote:
So, suppose he keeps it to one minute. What kind of shape will he be in when he disengages this "Phantom" thingee? Does he just go on fighting (as long as he doesn't use Phantom again)? Or is he rendered combat ineffective by the strain? Does he have to stop fighting at once if he's to prevent temporary microdamage from becoming permanent?
The strain on Rico's linker core is actually quite minimal due to the spell's setup; his core isn't exerting any more power than normal, it's the rest of his body that's taking the load. Thus, Rico is going to be totally winded for a minute or two after the spell disengages, which spells big trouble for him if he hasn't finished off his adversary in the one minute he had to work 'em over.

Kill the Darkfic.
Burn the Angst.
Purge the Bad End.
Old 2008-04-19, 09:47   Link #23688
FlameSparkZ
the "Z" is for "Zeta"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Liingo View Post
Welcome back Flame XD. Looking forward to more Sweet-cheesium from you XD
Working on it

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saint X View Post
Lemme Try a Crack at this...

Operation Active

Combat
Layer
Advancing
Neural
Network
Assistance
Device

C.L.A.N.N.A.D. System Ver 1.0
Cool
But, wouldn't the first A sound better as "Advanced"?

~~~~

Working on a lot of things right now, so...it'll still take a while to finish the next chapter

*runs*
Old 2008-04-19, 10:39   Link #23689
Tk3997
Loveable Jerk

Send a message via ICQ to Tk3997 Send a message via AIM to Tk3997 Send a message via MSN to Tk3997
Threads a bit slow at the moment isn't it?

Well whatever now seems as good a time as any to post up another random profile of someone that won't appear for like another two chapters in the story. Anyway I preset to you my stories wheelma--- errr woman.

Spoiler for Izumi Sato:

Way I see it just like the forwards "ripped off" the Aces people will now start ripping off the forwards since they're bound to have become rather famous... it's the cycle of life or magical plagiarism at least. Plus having someone zipping around on motorized roller skates smashing people with a polearm is just too much fin to write about for me to pass up.

Yeah, yeah I should be finishing off chapter two of my fic, but banging out all these profiles this is so much more fun and easier to do...

Last edited by Tk3997; 2008-04-19 at 10:59.
Old 2008-04-19, 11:34   Link #23690
PhoenixFlare
The Resurrector
*Author

Quote:
By the way, friend, I do hope that every time, before you post things out like this, you've THOUGHT them over through and through. Because, this is simply getting tiring. HAXX-busting is not fun, and we're not sadistic people who enjoy tormenting newcomers, especially when one has to repeatedly grind the same things over and over again.

Basic points should've been made clear now that everything MUST be balanced. Never mind that you cannot figure out how a particular things work, it's easy enough to figure out that some things are beyond the borderline.

Quote:
[I]Phantom Blazer
And his normal speed would be? We'll take an Olympic marathon champion for example (which is not a very good example, but works anyway), and when you increase his speed by fivefold, do you know what happens? You can basically a runner that can outrun anyone, but he's left with his flesh behind. Yes, I'm exaggerating again, but you get my point. Sonic Move and the likes work at most in several seconds, yours in one minute. There's a reason why you don't see Sonic Move active ALL THE TIME for a canon character.

And when you keep up with that speed, your body will overwork itself, muscles, tissues, everything. True, one can temper the body to "reduce" the stress, but it can never be fully compensated, especially for one that's human. Never mind that he's a permanently unisoned human. I think I've mentioned multiple times that there's a limit to how one can tinker with the human body before it's infeasible to do so.

I suggest a tone-down of the percentage, or time limit, or both, whichever you think fits.

Quote:
Question. Why does the fire form outside, and not inside of the body? The spell shunts Mana into the body to create this fantabulous effect, but the fire occurs outside of the body? Something doesn't seem right here. You're probably referring to those "leaked" Mana, which makes sense, but how does he control those outside of his body?

And forcing that much power into the system is probably going to accelerate systemic biological function to achieve the effect, and I can assure you very much that your Rico is probably a flaccid piece of flesh when it's over. Unless you can find a way to supply his body with an infinite amount of glucose and water, that's what he'll be.

Quote:
The downsides, however, are also multifold. While Rico developed this spell with Nanoha's assistance, he and Nova lack her natural talent with the collection template, and the charge time for this spell is almost a minute in length. Moreover, because Nova's attention must remain on maintaining the collection template, for the duration of the charge-up period Rico does not gain the benefits of being in unison with Nova, and must resort to using spells he can use without her assistance. Most important, however, is the spell's effect on Rico's body.
Another question. Is he EVEN going to use this spell right in the middle of a battle? This is basically a non-weakness. I'm assuming you're going to exert author's limitation here.

Quote:
When Rico designed the spell with Nanoha's assistance, he swore an oath to her that he would not maintain the spell for more than a minute at a time. Going beyond this limit risks severe damage to Rico's body, an accelerated form of the damage done to Nanoha's body by her intensive training regimen. For every second after one minute that Rico maintains this spell, the probability of a catastrophic breakdown of his body's physical structure increases by one percent.
Interesting. So, basically, in that one full minute, he's a superspeed demon with the ability to rip things apart without any consequence(s) (so far that's written), and still can use the ability past its limit for, say, 15 seconds, which is pretty short for one of his speed, to achieve only a mere 15% increase in the absolute danger? Nifty spell.

Last edited by PhoenixFlare; 2008-04-19 at 11:50.
Old 2008-04-19, 12:17   Link #23691
Comartemis
He Who Smites Shippers

Quote:
And when you keep up with that speed, your body will overwork itself, muscles, tissues, everything. True, one can temper the body to "reduce" the stress, but it can never be fully compensated, especially for one that's human. Never mind that he's a permanently unisoned human. I think I've mentioned multiple times that there's a limit to how one can tinker with the human body before it's infeasible to do so.
I don't suppose it would help if I called the boost a force multiplier instead of a straight-up physical enhancement?

Quote:
And forcing that much power into the system is probably going to accelerate systemic biological function to achieve the effect, and I can assure you very much that your Rico is probably a flaccid piece of flesh when it's over. Unless you can find a way to supply his body with an infinite amount of glucose and water, that's what he'll be.
Who ever said this had anything to do with biology? It's a spell, Phoenix, not a steroid.

Quote:
Is he EVEN going to use this spell right in the middle of a battle?
Um... yes? I wouldn't have designed it otherwise. Are you under the impression that he can't act on his own while Nova's charging the spell?

Quote:
So, basically, in that one full minute, he's a superspeed demon with the ability to rip things apart without any consequence(s) (so far that's written), and still can use the ability past its limit for, say, 15 seconds, which is pretty short for one of his speed, to achieve only a mere 15% increase in the absolute danger? Nifty spell.
A more apt description would be that for one minute Rico gets a speed boost that puts him somewhere just south of Fate in Sonic Drive. And the critical damage chance stacks with itself for each second past 1 minute. So after ten seconds he's got a better than 1 in 10 chance of crippling himself every second. Then there's the physical exhaustion aspect I added in my reply to arkhangelsk.

Would it be more balanced if I lessened the damage chance and applied it to the entire spell, rather than giving Rico a one-minute safety period?

Kill the Darkfic.
Burn the Angst.
Purge the Bad End.
Old 2008-04-19, 12:58   Link #23692
Wild Goose
Truth Martyr
*Author

Quote:
I don't suppose it would help if I called the boost a force multiplier instead of a straight-up physical enhancement?
Short answer: No.

Long answer: Later when i've had a good night's sleep which will never happen as i need to be up in 4 hours.

Quote:
Who ever said this had anything to do with biology? It's a spell, Phoenix, not a steroid.
To return to my oft-mentioned analogy of a mage as a car: The body is the frame & chassis, the linker core is the engine, cartridges are NOS and spellwork is pressing the gas, drifting, and a crapload of Initial D tricks.

All magics will have an effect on the body, regardless. If spells and mana didn't affect the body, Nanoha wouldn't have been fucked up from beamspam. We wouldn't have mages panting in exertion after firing off beams.

Am too tired to bust the rest.

I think I'm going to have to take yet another break from OC to maintain my sanity. Sorry, folks.

I believe in miracles.

Old 2008-04-19, 13:01   Link #23693
Comartemis
He Who Smites Shippers

Quote:
Am too tired to bust the rest.
Don't bother. Obviously the concept needs some heavy adjustment before it becomes viable, so just consider the idea temporarily trashed.

*Goes back to the drawing board*

Kill the Darkfic.
Burn the Angst.
Purge the Bad End.
Old 2008-04-19, 23:15   Link #23694
XenahortCharybdis
does whatever he wants.

Quote:
Don't bother. Obviously the concept needs some heavy adjustment before it becomes viable, so just consider the idea temporarily trashed.

*Goes back to the drawing board*
Another day, another scrapped idea. Oh well, that's common occurrence, although at this rate you might eventually become the most famous for scrapping his own ideas the most number of times ever, in full view of all

(For me I quietly scrap ideas as new aspects of 'busting start to surface)

@Thread: Nice to see that things are still going strong.

Glad especially to see that Goose is opting for "more sleep, less busting cum gnashing-of-teeth". That'll save him some life, and give us more Alpha-based laughter.

(And also I'm not the only one who was cursed to indefinite bench-warming lately )

And in any case I'm already done with my long-delayed...um, I'm not sure if I can call it a grenade any more, scrap a scene here, nitpick another into oblivion there, add an OC just for kicks, and then we have a full sized bomb.

Yeah, so I'll be posting again from today up. Regularly, hopefully, till life starts dealing me bad hands again.
Old 2008-04-19, 23:17   Link #23695
Kha
~ I Do ~
*Author

Come on, how many times have I been shot down? Though I'm starting to not care about what others think any more, given all that wasted effort...
Old 2008-04-20, 00:02   Link #23696
Wild Goose
Truth Martyr
*Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kha View Post
Come on, how many times have I been shot down? Though I'm starting to not care about what others think any more, given all that wasted effort...
But kha, I thought your whole purpose here was to make Khrack and to be shot down. That way, you allow us to laugh and facepalm and maintain the crazy spirit that is Outer Cadia.

Just kidding, just kidd-

*stares at angered Cleric Knights and other Kha's OCs*

....aw crap.

*Wild Goose casts Accel, Alert, Strike, Valor, Focus, Zeal, Guts, Drive, Resolve, Fury, Snipe and RUNS from Kha and Kha's OCs*

I believe in miracles.

Old 2008-04-20, 00:11   Link #23697
XenahortCharybdis
does whatever he wants.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kha View Post
Ashcroft: Unrepentant, now are we? You disgrace the noble name 'Cleric' more than you already have. If I wasn't supposed to be your cover fire, and that we're that many ranks apart, I'd have shot you down already.

(And yes, Kha that is an actual line in that thing that I originally slated to be around 7k, but it didn't happen, it's well over 10k and running crazy in my head right now. Mind you, though, the circumstances under which Ash spouted this line is very different from this one.)
Old 2008-04-20, 00:44   Link #23698
LimitedEternal
Nuclear Fusion

So quiet here lately...

But anyway, I thought shooting down was kind of a time-honored tradition here. You know, spin crack, fight, work it into sense, fight more...

Ah, good times, good times. Hope we pick back up. :3
Old 2008-04-20, 02:58   Link #23699
AdmiralTigerclaw
Sword Wielding Penguin

Send a message via AIM to AdmiralTigerclaw
We shoot much down!

Spoiler for Guns and Missiles!:
Old 2008-04-20, 03:06   Link #23700
Keroko
Adeptus Animus
*Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by LimitedEternal View Post
So quiet here lately...
Busy week, so I like to relax in the weekends. Next week is vacation anyway (one of the prime advantages of working at a school is that you borrow their vacations :3) so I'll have time to write and respond more.

Cort, I'll take a closer look at your new spell later, for now I'll advice you to stay away from percentages, people have a tendency to see an attack as too powerfull if you paste percentages on them. After all, why do you think the DVD booklets never have any numbers behind them either? Its generally 'long range' or 'really fast' or something along those lines.
Closed Thread