AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Retired > Retired A-L > Hyouka

Notices

Old 2012-04-22, 20:08   Link #501
Arabesque
Licensed Hunter-a-holic

Quote:
Originally Posted by LC View Post
Favorite first episode of the season for me, even edging out the noitaminA series.
I liked it and all, but I think that in terms of content so far it's been pretty tame compared to all the other openers we had so far in this season. I actually think it has a lot of potential to go to some interesting places, but not on the same potential as the noitaminA shows.

Well see where it goes.
Old 2012-04-22, 20:11   Link #502
MUAHAHAHAHAHA
Hail the power of Fujoshi

I thought the first episode did a commendable job in establishing the characters' personality. Sure, there might not be explosives or hidden skeletons or bloodshed or anything intense, but having watched the trailer, I already expected the pacing to be quite slow. I actually like the fact that this anime does not jump straight into the main plot like certain animes, where we are introduced briefly to the characters, and at the end of the episode, something big happens. It's rather cliche IMO, which is why I prefer the presentation of Hyouka's first episode. It allows me to grip onto the settings and the characters more firmly, and this is why I wouldn't immediately dismiss the first episode.

If this anime indeed turns out boring, I will still stick around, if only for the sake of the animation.

More importantly........

ALL HAIL THE REUNION OF TOMOYA AND SUNOHARA!!

Old stuff but just a reminder that butthurt report form is here to help
MUAHAHAHAHAHA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-04-22, 20:16   Link #503
blakstealth
Les Pays Bass

Goddamn, this show is beautiful. Those eyes...those fuckin purple eyes. O_O

And lol. Tru that, MUAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAAHHA.
blakstealth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-04-22, 20:20   Link #504
Arabesque
Licensed Hunter-a-holic

I think that the most impressive thing this episode had was the stunning animation and how it showcased the different art styles in the span of 20-something minutes. That said, I also liked how well everything felt like it was well timed, especially the music and the voice acting, and I thought the pacing was pretty good for an introductory episode as well. We got to know what's our lead like and how he meet the lead female (who, BTW, I thought they managed to make her eyes more mystical and mesmerizing as opposed to terrifying as I thought they were from the early PV ... there is still this unearthly quality to them, especially when compared to the rest of the casts more ''normal'' looking irises, but I can see how they can bee seen as being closer to being ''beautiful but alien'' as opposed to ''unnatural'') and I liked the chemistry going on between the two.

In general, pretty good episode. It didn't blow me out of the water like many other shows had done, but it got me interested enough in the show to check it for more.
Old 2012-04-22, 20:40   Link #505
LC
Shocking Pink

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arabesque View Post
I liked it and all, but I think that in terms of content so far it's been pretty tame compared to all the other openers we had so far in this season. I actually think it has a lot of potential to go to some interesting places, but not on the same potential as the noitaminA shows.

Well see where it goes.
Well, I see Hyouka as a show that might not be objectively better than some of the other shows this season, but I personally enjoyed it more. In a few years, I think the noitaminA shows this season, especially Kids on the Slope, will be remembered and referenced, while Hyouka will be more known for its animation than anything else. It's not genre-defying like Madoka nor does it have the blatant commercial appeal of other shows. Still, it does what it does well. There was not a single moment I thought was bad or could've been better. The animation, script, direction - it's all great, to an almost boring extent, judging from some reactions. With plenty of episodes left, it could go anywhere, but I believe that I'll hold the same opinion, if not better, of the show by then.
Old 2012-04-22, 20:59   Link #506
totoum
Me at work

Send a message via MSN to totoum
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vallen Chaos Valiant View Post
The bar has been raised. Now, it is up to others to see if they can match it.
The bar was raised when MAPPA used rotoscopic animation for its jam sessions in Sakamichi no Apollon

I couldn't resist saying that but in all honesty this show looks great,regardless of where it ranks among other shows running this season,there's no denying that,as arabesque said a few different styles were showcased and I hope to see more of that in coming episodes.

Thank goodness the animation is here though because I never got into the story that much though I did like the chemistry between the characters and that could payoff over time.

Last edited by totoum; 2012-04-22 at 21:20.
totoum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-04-22, 21:09   Link #507
Cyz
"Show it to me"

Her eyes and smile and the way she stares at him must be really captivating . It makes Houtarou's imaginational world run wild and also makes him do stuff (like handing over his application form) without any sort of reasoning.
Currently Watching:
-- too lazy to put it together --
~~~~~
Current sig:
Takanashi Rikka from
Chuunibyou Demo Koi ga Shitai!
~~~~
Big thanx to Patchy for the sig
Cyz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-04-22, 21:12   Link #508
rulfo

Quote:
Watching it with subs made the episode much better. I had read this part in the light novel before and was sorta unimpressed, but the anime was better.
My thoughts exactly. The novel was pretty tame in the start and I liked what they added to the script to improve it a bit.

The semi-delaying tactics Houtarou came up with to finish his homework was humorous in a way. It was a nice pass to Satoshi since he was pretty much a blabber mouth when it comes to telling stories.

Last edited by rulfo; 2012-04-22 at 21:29.
rulfo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-04-22, 21:14   Link #509
Arabesque
Licensed Hunter-a-holic

Quote:
Well, I see Hyouka as a show that might not be objectively better than some of the other shows this season, but I personally enjoyed it more. In a few years, I think the noitaminA shows this season, especially Kids on the Slope, will be remembered and referenced, while Hyouka will be more known for its animation than anything else. It's not genre-defying like Madoka nor does it have the blatant commercial appeal of other shows. Still, it does what it does well. There was not a single moment I thought was bad or could've been better. The animation, script, direction - it's all great, to an almost boring extent, judging from some reactions. With plenty of episodes left, it could go anywhere, but I believe that I'll hold the same opinion, if not better, of the show by then.
I agree with you largely, and I didn't mean to imply that the show boring or anything of that sort, or that you were wrong in liking it over the noitaminA duo. As far as the first episode goes, I thought it was pretty good, just I personally liked the noitaminA duo more

As for how history judges what, that is left for the future. All I know is that I have no another show I need to figure if I have the time to realistically follow or not lol

Quote:
Originally Posted by totoum View Post
The bar was raised when MAPPA used rotoscopic animation for it's jam sessions in Sakamichi no Apollon
The attention to detail in Apollon is pretty much out of this world, and the way they managed to make each drum stroke and key hit match up with the animation is pretty amazing ... but I still feel like Hyou-Ka might be also operation on a very high level of detail, just more with how top notch the presentation was from the audiovisual side.
Quote:
Originally Posted by totoum View Post
Thank goodness the animation is here though because I never got into the story that much though
I think it's more than the animation being high though ... the scene we got to see how the main lead see (and listen) to what he felt like staring into these violate eyes as some sort of mystical experience made me all the more interested in checking more just to see if we could get more of such insight into the main leads mind. High animation is hard to accomplish, being creative with the presentation of it is even header, and making it fit into the context of the show is harder still.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cyz View Post
Her eyes and smile and the way she stares at him must be really captivating . It makes Houtarou's imaginational world run wild and also makes him do stuff (like handing over his application form) without any sort of reasoning.
Yes, I think that's a very good way of putting it ... she almost placed a spell on him ...
Old 2012-04-22, 21:25   Link #510
RegalStar
Mishaguji-sama

I liked all the characters so far even without the Tomoya/Sunohara reunion part. I think it has the potential to be good, so I'll definitely be following it for a while.
RegalStar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-04-22, 21:33   Link #511
totoum
Me at work

Send a message via MSN to totoum
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arabesque View Post
High animation is hard to accomplish, being creative with the presentation of it is even header, and making it fit into the context of the show is harder still.
Yes, I think that's a very good way of putting it ... she almost placed a spell on him ...
Oh you're definatly right,it's not just the animation that's a standout but the direction overall.

Hyouka is great in terms of storytelling,I've still got reservation about the story it is telling but we're only 1 episode in so I hope I can put those reservations to rest later on.
Old 2012-04-22, 21:39   Link #512
leokiko

A bunch of animes had better openers than this(E7 AO, Sakamichi, Tsuritama, Uchuu Kyoudai) but this wasn't bad, like Sengoku Collection. It was somewhere in the middle for me, an ''ok'' epi.
leokiko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-04-22, 21:47   Link #513
Tempester
Japanese Culture Fan

Oh look, everyone's going bananas over the animation and direction. What about the story? Does it hold a lot of potential?

Also, will this be an episodic series?
Tempester is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-04-22, 21:49   Link #514
leokiko

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tempester View Post
Oh look, everyone's going bananas over the animation and direction. What about the story? Does it hold a lot of potential?

Also, will this be an episodic series?
Story? What story? This is just they going around solving little mysteryes on school so far. Hopefully, that will change, since there seems to be a reason for her to enter the Classic Club.
leokiko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-04-22, 21:52   Link #515
Dr. Casey

Just started watching the first episode.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Narrator
When you think 'high school life,' the word 'rose-colored' comes to mind. And when you think 'rose-colored,' 'high school life' comes to mind.
Wow, not even 10 seconds into the first episode and already this show's produced two of the most horribly wrong sentences to have ever been composed in history, that's pretty impressive (The words 'high school' to me usually bring to mind the words 'Thank God that shit's over')

Anyway, back to watching
Dr. Casey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-04-22, 22:01   Link #516
Kaioshin Sama
Banned

Send a message via MSN to Kaioshin Sama
This just really did not leave much of an impression and I'm not quite sure where exactly it's planning on going, but I think I'll have a better idea by next episode. If not I'm pretty overloaded on shows this season and it's kind of going to have to prove worth picking up.
Kaioshin Sama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-04-22, 22:08   Link #517
Archon_Wing
On a mission
*Author

Send a message via MSN to Archon_Wing
Mm, this anime isn't really leaving much of an impression. The trailer was boring with poor attempts at fitting classical music as a lame BGM that fails to create atmosphere, and same with the first episode. Really, it almost comes off as pretentious.

Character designs kinda suck and the episode did little more but to introduce the characters and setting. Unfortunately it really didn't serve as a good hook either, and the only really good things I can say is that mildly amusing scene with the vine-like things to demonstrate our female character's insistence. And some brief chuckles with the discussion of the ghost mysteries. What are their names? I forgot.

Unfortunately, this is the worst intro episode of this season I have seen (Even Tasogare Otome x Amnesia had nice designs and charm even if that first episode was droning). Nothing hit anything, and it wasn't even funny. I guess Tomoya and Sunohara VA'ing is amusing but I hate to say this, however even Nichijou's first episode had a better impression on me and I didn't like that show at all.

4/10 -- but I'll give it another episode or two as I expect it to finally pick up by the end of episode 2. I hope... I want to find a reason to watch this.

Avatar/Sig courtesy of TheEroKing
Guild Wars 2 SN: ArchonWing.9480
MyAnimeList || Reviews
Archon_Wing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-04-22, 22:09   Link #518
ahelo
Criminal Unrequitor
*Graphic Designer

I was relatively excited for this, being Kyoani and all and it did deliver. My only complaint is that it feels like a novel. Too much narrative in what could be replaced into actions. You don't have to keep shoving in my face that the lead guy is "low energy", you could have said that once and I'd get it already. I'm sure though this whole narrtivistic style will largely pay off once they start tackling mysteries.

Speaking of actions, my god this looks really pretty. It's like the disappearance movie all over again except its 21 episodes. If there's anything you cannot diss Kyoani with, its their pure attention to the animation. Extreme Realistic Fluidity + Detailed Backgrounds + A slight touch of artistry = Pure Win.
Old 2012-04-22, 22:09   Link #519
serenade_beta
そのおっぱいで13才

Spoiler for ep1:

-Blog --> http://tdnshumi.blogspot.com/ (Mainly about video games)
-R.I.P. Hiroshi Yamauchi, Gaming wouldn't have been the same without you (9/19/13)
serenade_beta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-04-22, 22:18   Link #520
Reckoner
Bittersweet Distractor

Forgettable, boring drivel.

I have to muse over what the selling point of this show is. As with any opener one has to latch onto something. It could be a character, it could be some exciting plot, but it has got to be something. What does this show have? From what I can tell nothing.

[content snipped by a mod]

The visuals were not that spectacular. Yes they were good, particularly the background movement at times, but what about the high amount of static scenes of 3 people talking in a circle? If you continuously shuffle out nicely animated scenes with very static scenes why should I believe this is a better visual effort than the likes of EO7 Ao, Fate/zero, lupin III, Sakamichi no Apollon? KyoAni is not even that special in the visual department anymore.

Ending conclusion --- Am I seriously supposed to believe that Kadoakawa and KyoAni have passed off further productions of Haruhi and FMP for this? 3/10

Last edited by Klashikari; 2012-04-23 at 09:20. Reason: a way bit too "colorful".
Reckoner is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
adaptation, shounen, slice of life