AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Retired > Retired A-L > Lucky Star

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 2008-05-05, 12:40   Link #1
NeoSam

The moe 4-panel manga Lucky☆Star (らき☆すた) by Yoshimizu Kagami will be getting an OVA adaptation.

The OVA adaptaion will be announced in the June 2008 issue of the bishoujo magazine Comptiq (which will be officially released on May 10, 2008).

==========

らき☆すた
Lucky☆Star

The Lucky☆Star manga is currently serialized in the bishoujo magazine Comptiq.
Currently there are 5 volumes released of the manga.

Covers of available manga volumes can be seen here.

Genre: Shounen/Seinen, Comedy

==========

Source: MoonPhase diary

Wiki entry:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lucky_Star_(manga)
Old 2008-05-05, 16:10   Link #2
xris
Just call me Ojisan

This thread is to discuss your expectations of the new Lucky Star OVA and to speculate as to what story elements will be used.

Source: MoonPhase Diary.

A discussion thread will be created when the OVA is about to be released (at this time AnimeSuki will consider it unlicensed) so please use this thread to discuss your expectations of the announced OVA.
Old 2008-05-05, 16:30   Link #3
Rembr

If it's true, it'll probably be more of the same of the later episodes as opposed to the earlier ones, where they fiddled with character interaction and personal situations.
Old 2008-05-05, 21:14   Link #4
Lucky_Day
Living Lucky Legend

The later episodes offer a greater character selection than the earlier ones because more characters were introduced in the second half of the series. All of the character will probably be featured but I expect it to remain focused on Konata, Kagami, Tsukasa, and Miyuki. For the Lucky Channel segment, I expect Minoru, and maybe even Akira, to become part of the regular show. They will not be main characters, but part of the show nevertheless.

I would love to see a teenaged boy, possibly Minoru, call one of the main characters, probably Konata, over the phone pretending to be a girl about Yutaka's age. During the call he sets her up on a date with himself. What Minoru did not count on is she has genuine feelings for the "girl who never was". Realizing he can not hide what he has done, Minoru confesses and discovers that he is a "lucky star". This is what I would like to see but I sincerely doubt it will happen. The idea might make a good Lucky Star fanfic if I decide to take the time and effort to write one.
Old 2008-05-06, 00:12   Link #5
Vexx
Obey the Darkly Cute ...
*Author

I'd be perfectly fine with no Lucky*Channel (or an abbreviated bit with Akira just ranting about the time and then running out of time).

I'd really rather *not* see any anime-only material (I got plenty of that during the series). I'd like to see elements of and sketches from volume 4 or 5 animated at least.
Old 2008-05-06, 00:23   Link #6
Kaioshin Sama
Banned

Send a message via MSN to Kaioshin Sama
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vexx View Post
I'd be perfectly fine with no Lucky*Channel (or an abbreviated bit with Akira just ranting about the time and then running out of time).

I'd really rather *not* see any anime-only material (I got plenty of that during the series). I'd like to see elements of and sketches from volume 4 or 5 animated at least.
Magic 8-Ball says...........................

Spoiler:

I guess I could theoretically blog this, I'm just not expecting terribly much beyond what the TV Series had to offer, which started off interesting and then just.....well....................
Old 2008-05-06, 07:37   Link #7
Ultima_Rasengan05
Version 3.0

I'm just wondering if this OVA will take place after their graduation or shift focus to the underclassmen of Lucky*Star (frick, I have forgotten their names!!!0_0).
It would be cool to see what they're up to after high school...I might be a bit disappointed if its set somewhere in between any of the series episode.

So this may be obvious already, but Kyoto Animations will be doing this project right?
just checking....
Old 2008-05-06, 10:22   Link #8
Kinny Riddle
Gone for Good

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ultima_Rasengan05 View Post
So this may be obvious already, but Kyoto Animations will be doing this project right?
just checking....
That is the most important question. Most probably. If not, then it's possible our friend Kaioshin might finally give his two thumbs up. (Nah just kidding KS, I still love ya. )

Anyway, OVAs are probably the best way to keep the franchise suitably milked and keep LS fans happily sedated without having to suffer from withdrawal symptoms as the Haruhiists are suffering already.

Already from the anime series, LS's 4-koma style and "slice of life" theme has allowed the writers to adapt things freely at their own pace without being too constrained by the pace of the original by Yoshimizu.
Old 2008-05-06, 12:43   Link #9
Dee Eon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucky_Day View Post
The later episodes offer a greater character selection than the earlier ones because more characters were introduced in the second half of the series. All of the character will probably be featured but I expect it to remain focused on Konata, Kagami, Tsukasa, and Miyuki. For the Lucky Channel segment, I expect Minoru, and maybe even Akira, to become part of the regular show. They will not be main characters, but part of the show nevertheless.

I would love to see a teenaged boy, possibly Minoru, call one of the main characters, probably Konata, over the phone pretending to be a girl about Yutaka's age. During the call he sets her up on a date with himself. What Minoru did not count on is she has genuine feelings for the "girl who never was". Realizing he can not hide what he has done, Minoru confesses and discovers that he is a "lucky star". This is what I would like to see but I sincerely doubt it will happen. The idea might make a good Lucky Star fanfic if I decide to take the time and effort to write one.

Greetings!

You pop an interesting question: for any anime series past or present, has fanfiction/doujinshi ever been tapped as original resource material? The slightest hint I heard is a fanfiction writer was contacted by an animation house was for Ramna 1/2. My dad recalls that one or two fans actually had their scripts produced for the old Star Trek show, so I guess it's not impossible. I'm just a babe in the woods, but my best guess with L*S is that the OVA is a season 2 surrogate, especially what the American market. IMO L*S's humor is far too sublime for action/blood&guts driven anime America (even the PPG was like that), and I regret L*S would have as much chance here as the few romance anime there is. From what I hear on-line, outfits as the Cartoon Network weren't exactly hopping up and down over L*S at the NY Comics show. I think we might have to rest content with L*S continuing on as DVDS instead of a season two.

IF a season two, how to "adapt" L*S for America? I agree with Vexx: prune out the heavy anime and Jap product/TV references for starters. Maybe if you substituted such with American counterparts it might work, but the work involved would probably be prohibitive. So, back to basics; drill the manga itself as source material. If we go that route, then how far could that original material get you? I haven't seen any L*S mangas past volume one so I don't know roughly how many mangas packs one episode, but judging from volume one you might be able to put away what – two or three per episode? Also remember the series stuffed a lot of scenes that weren't in the manga too, like the beach thing. Can you exhaust all L*S manga source material before you finish a full second season? I dunno. (If it does, then it begs the wild imagination of what a latter second or even a wistful third season might be like; almost all non-Yoshimizu material? That might even be good thing!) I think the OVA route avoids all this via drips and dabs of manga on a DVD and maybe that's how L*S will continue on (at least for Americans).

Maybe another thing going against a season two (here) is unless you make it a literal extension of season one, you either have to frequently flash over to the antics of the original quad in college or hope the "new group" can win over the hearts and minds of their fans, but I don't see that (unless they do a "Dallas" with season two with the original crew). Many fans have their faves welded to the first girls, and outside some yori teases, this new group to me doesn't feel all that unique or interesting (except perhaps Hiyori and one-foot-in-the-grave Yu-chan) to really grab a fandom. It might be necessary to go the Twilight Zone route a'la Yamato to really make a pure high school L*S season two interesting (hey, it sounds crazy, but those in the know would know that even "serious" and earthy daytime soap operas used to dip some pretty freaky and weird stuff to spice up the series!). Neither is trapping the quad in high school for another run (as "super seniors"?) out of the question – after all, we never got to their graduation! My stop's coming up so gotta close up.

Well, IMHO. Then I could be like Tsukasa – ALL wrong!!

Take care burning all!

Dee
("Miyuki's Spaced-Out Secret," "Kanata's Dream," "Kanata Thawed.")
Old 2008-05-06, 15:47   Link #10
FireChick

A Lucky Star OVA!? Are you SERIOUS!? What the flip!? I wanna see this!! When does it comes out!?
Old 2008-05-06, 20:02   Link #11
Ultima_Rasengan05
Version 3.0

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kinny Riddle View Post
That is the most important question. Most probably. If not, then it's possible our friend Kaioshin might finally give his two thumbs up. (Nah just kidding KS, I still love ya. )
I guess we'll all find out who will be doing this project when that issue of Comptiq comes out. I think for sure, Kyoto Animations will be taking in this project, but who knows.
I enjoyed Lucky*Star, but I hope the story of this OVA will be after episode 24.
Old 2008-05-06, 22:07   Link #12
klowny
OH NO

i heard about this but isn't this a spin off on kagami?
Old 2008-05-06, 22:44   Link #13
Magedark

Well it's speculation for now as the Comptiq magazine with all the information isn't out yet.
Old 2008-05-07, 11:40   Link #14
g0o
d(*⌒▽⌒*)b

I read somewhere on the net that according to Moonphase Diary, (http://d.hatena.ne.jp/moonphase/), the release of the OVA is scheduled already this summer.

I can't read japanese so I'm not sure if this is official or not... Anyways, if this turned out to be true then 2 of my favorite Slice of life shows (Hidamari Sketch and Lucky Star) will be airing at the same time!!

I am really looking forward to this year's summer season!!
Old 2008-05-07, 18:23   Link #15
nanafan
horo fan

i heard about a possible ova, but didn't know that it would happen. i wonder if it will be a retelling of lucky star or continue where the series left off.
Old 2008-05-07, 18:40   Link #16
Mecha_Trueno
餓鬼に興味ない、俺の好みは年上の美女だ

Location: Shitty old London. They must've been on drugs when they built this place, WTF were they smoking!!!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dee Eon View Post
Maybe another thing going against a season two (here) is unless you make it a literal extension of season one, you either have to frequently flash over to the antics of the original quad in college or hope the "new group" can win over the hearts and minds of their fans, but I don't see that (unless they do a "Dallas" with season two with the original crew). Many fans have their faves welded to the first girls, and outside some yori teases, this new group to me doesn't feel all that unique or interesting (except perhaps Hiyori and one-foot-in-the-grave Yu-chan) to really grab a fandom. It might be necessary to go the Twilight Zone route a'la Yamato to really make a pure high school L*S season two interesting (hey, it sounds crazy, but those in the know would know that even "serious" and earthy daytime soap operas used to dip some pretty freaky and weird stuff to spice up the series!). Neither is trapping the quad in high school for another run (as "super seniors"?) out of the question – after all, we never got to their graduation! My stop's coming up so gotta close up.
are you saying that the focus will move away from the original four (since they will graduate) and concentrate on yuu-chan's group?
amai.... the REAL problem: you really think konata and tsukasa will manage to graduate? they're gonna end up repeating lol

禁則事項です
Old 2008-05-08, 00:42   Link #17
Lucky_Day
Living Lucky Legend

If Konata and Tsukasa failing was the only way to keep them in the OAV, it would definitely happen. I would say they might end up in summer school, but the Japanese school year is different. Do they even have a way to repeat a failed course without repeating the entire year?
Old 2008-05-08, 01:13   Link #18
Narumi
*Fansubber

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ultima_Rasengan05 View Post
just checking....
Yes, they are.
Old 2008-05-08, 02:04   Link #19
Kaioshin Sama
Banned

Send a message via MSN to Kaioshin Sama
Quote:
Originally Posted by Narumi View Post
Yes, they are.
Source please?
Old 2008-05-08, 02:20   Link #20
Jin and Toanic
Vide supra
*Fansubber

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaioshin Sama View Post
Source please?
Narumi is lying because an inside source has told me that Deen is doing it.

Spoiler:
Closed Thread

Tags
comedy, kadokawa, ova, school life, seinen