AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Retired > Retired A-L > Clannad

Notices

View Poll Results: Clannad ~After Story~ - Episode 17 Rating
Perfect 10 73 48.34%
9 out of 10 : Excellent 47 31.13%
8 out of 10 : Very Good 21 13.91%
7 out of 10 : Good 7 4.64%
6 out of 10 : Average 0 0%
5 out of 10 : Below Average 1 0.66%
4 out of 10 : Poor 0 0%
3 out of 10 : Bad 0 0%
2 out of 10 : Very Bad 0 0%
1 out of 10 : Painful 2 1.32%
Voters: 151. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old 2009-02-06, 05:14   Link #41
cbatty
Such is liff

Quote:
Originally Posted by panzerfan View Post
@cbatty: Tomoyo and Tomoya should not be mistaken... or are you doing it on purpose? XD
oops - typos - sorry

Fixed now!

That'll tech me for typing while watching the show - must have Tomoyo on the brain
Old 2009-02-06, 05:35   Link #42
sikvod00

@Sheba: Were responding to me? Because I was pretty much laying out the same case you were.
Old 2009-02-06, 05:51   Link #43
darry

Quote:
Originally Posted by cbatty View Post
Some thoughts while watching Ep 17.....

Spoiler for Ep 17:
we ? tzz i knew it since i saw the ending for the first time :P

was a nice episode like it how sanae/akio trying to build a bond between those 2. cant wait for 18.. another week
Old 2009-02-06, 05:56   Link #44
Sheba
RUN, YOU FOOLS!

Location: Formerly Iwakawa base and Chaldea. Now Teyvat, the Astral Express & the Outpost
Quote:
Originally Posted by sikvod00 View Post
@Sheba: Were responding to me? Because I was pretty much laying out the same case you were.
Not really, but to a few couple of people I was too lazy to name.
Old 2009-02-06, 07:01   Link #45
RandomFlameStrike

Gah Ushio is so cute... I thought I'd be more angry seeing Tomoya's indiffrent attitude, but like the first time I saw it, I couldn't really RAGE against him since I know he's also going through a lot of pain. I don't think he really holds anything against Ushio though. He just doesn't see himself as a father and Ushio as his child.

Sanae and Akio are really great though. They seem to have made a recovery and are even taking care of their late daughter's child. Sanae works to promote a relationship between father and daughter. Heh Ushio even refers to Akio as Akii
Old 2009-02-06, 08:44   Link #46
Proto
Knowledge is the solution

Quote:
Then, at the end of the School Life chapter of Clannad, she finally took off to America like she was supposed to do about 17 episodes earlier.
Why would anyone want to leave in the middle of the school year and not wait for it to finish so that you can get your school grade and make your whole college admission process easier for you.
Old 2009-02-06, 09:09   Link #47
Kristen
*Author

They did a lot more in this episode than I thought they would. I had though that they'd have gone through the entire episode and we'd just see Ushio at the very end, not do the whole first day together.

Ushio is just... CUTE! *Hugs Ushio* Tomoya-kun, forget about Nagisa! I'll marry you to be Ushio's mother! Please? Pretty please?

Sanae is a sneaky devil as always. XD Also, I love the anteater doll Ushio has. References!

Though they didn't play the right song at the end of the episode.

10/10 for the episode, loses a point for playing the wrong song just before the ED, so 9/10 overall.

Though I was surprised that it was Ushio at the start of the ED and not Nagisa. Maybe keeping it in does have its merits.
Old 2009-02-06, 10:15   Link #48
brocko

Nice ED transition and I've realised just how saddening the OP has become, good thing this episode was a fairly light-hearted one though. Provides a good balancing to the somewhat depressing start this time around, i don't know how I'll cope with future episodes when they start getting more BAW-inducing.

Ushio is by far the most adorable thing in Clannad and I absolutely enjoyed every second of her screentime. I had abit of a shock when i first heard her speak to be honest, she really does sound like a boy! Props to her seiyuu Satomi Koorogi and the best thing of all is that she managed to do so all by herself lol =P

Very cute how Ushio was playing with her food, and I must say KyoAni definitely stands out among the rest due to scenes like these where they will pay attention to the smallest of details and actually animate it, perfect example would be how Ushio plays with the grains of rice between her thumb and index finger.

And I just had to mention this scene let alone post screenies of it. It's actually tied with the food scene for most favourite Ushio moment of the episode to be honest :P

She somewhat kinda reminds me of Kana from Minami-ke and Miu from Ichigo Mashimaro in that pose for some reason. I also had an idea for one of em de-motivator posters using the first screenshot, but I just couldn't bring myself to use Ushio for such a purpose

BTW did anyone else apart from me manage to catch Kyoto Animation in the sponsors screen?

http://www.freerice.com/ - For each word you get right, 10 grains of rice is donated through the UN to help end world hunger.
Old 2009-02-06, 10:22   Link #49
Ascaloth
I don't give a damn, dude

Episode 17 article is up:

[RIUVA] CLANNAD ~After Story~, Episode 17

This actually comes across as a light-hearted, if somewhat morbidly so, episode. Another life, another journey, another After Story. 9/10.
Old 2009-02-06, 10:50   Link #50
SnackPacs
As Expected of 2chan

Eh, I get that Tomoya just went through as much of he did and it was enough of a challenge to open up and change himself before...

But I've just been around death too much, personal and not, to just be unable to sympathize as much. I'm not saying his behavior is inexcusable, I'm just saying that my feelings, and purely my own, are what's making me so hateful towards him.

I've threatened my significant other though, if they were to behave like Tomoya and become all distant towards our child were anything to ever happen to me, I'd make sure they'd regret it.

Be it... I haunt them or something. XD
Old 2009-02-06, 11:06   Link #51
cbatty
Such is liff

After watching it again the scene at the supermarket was interesting.

It was funny how Ushio secretly followed Tomoya to the store.. however meeting the lady who knew them both - at least in passing - but summing up so clearly the relationship between Tomoya and Ushio, and the loneliness that Tomoya must be feeling, and to an extent, Ushio is also feeling too.

Sometimes wisdom can come from somewhere least expected.

"Not meeting each other really is lonely, isn't it? Since she's your daughter, right?"

Such a simple question, but Tomoya's politeness forced him to answer in agreement, and in that one moment, Tomoya may have realised that he didn't have to be quite so lonely with Ushio around. I assume that Ushio didn't understand all of what was said, but the look they shared afterwards suggests that she understood enough. That Tomoya was important to her, and for Tomoya, how important Ushio was to him.

From that point on, I like to think that Tomoya's grey world may have a bit more colour in it.
Old 2009-02-06, 11:44   Link #52
MeoTwister5
Komrades of Kitamura Kou

First off, I skipped the OP which is something I rarely do in anything I watch, because it's 1 week to early to be reminded that she's dead.

Also, I noticed that Tomoya has facial hair now, or he's to screwed up emotionally to bother shaving.

----------------

"I hate this city" ~In Monochrome~

As someone who's had friends killed in accidents, a grandfather shot in front of his house and an uncle die of cancer, I can totally understand what has become of Tomoya' mental state. Maybe not to an intimate degree of understanding, but I can relate to the challenge of ultimately picking up the pieces of being the one who is "left behind." Honestly, I think, being the one left behind is the hardest emotional torment to wrestle.

The shattering realization that the one most most important to you is no longer asleep by your bed. That she will no longer make you breakfast, make your lunch with a smile, bid you goodbye, help you with your laundry and keep the house clean.

That she will no longer welcome you home with open arms.

And so, he had almost unkowingly become the person he had hated the most: his father. The parallelism is all to obvious to anyone who has been watching the series. Whether he had knowingly or unknowingly chosen to become like his father before him is probably not out true concern, but whether he will become a listless and emotionally destitute father for the remainder of his shattered life.

The biggest irony is that if he actually let his beard grow more, he'd look EXACTLY like his father.

"Things have really changed..."

5 years can really change so many things.

Of course, for Tomoya, time stopped on that snowy day 5 years ago.

"What are your plans for Summer?"

It was obvious just how much respect Tomoya had for Sanae and Akio. Even after her death he seems to have maintained contact, as they had probably become his emotional crutch after the loss of Nagisa. A lesser person would have gotten angry with Sanae's nagging, but he trusts her enough to go along with her making plans for his summer work break.

We all know just how much wisdom the senior Furukawas have, even if they have... odd ways of showing it. In a way they screwed over Tomoya by disappearing for god knows what reason, but we can believe they did it for Tomoya's sake. What ends in their house when he arrives is a letter and 2 tickets. 2 tickets?

And she looks exactly like her mother...

Heck she has some of her mother's mannerisms!

"Ushio!"

Honestly I think the studio did this on purpose. In the game Ushio didn't really look like Nagisa a lot, but in the episode I could swear she's the splitting image of her mother. Maybe to drive home the fact that she really is her mother's daughter?

The reason why I loved Ushio in the game, and it shows in the episode, is because she is who she is: she looks, acts and talks like she's 5 years old. Most other series have either an old lady trapped in a loli body, or a kid with the mind of 20 year old. Ushio is as Ushio does. She's looks like she's 5, acts like she's 5, speaks like she's 5 and thinks like she's 5. I freakishly adorable 5 year old girl anyway.

And no, I don't think she's afraid of Tomoya. I have nieces, cousins and heck even a godchild about her age.

She not afraid. She's shy.

A typical kid shy around strangers. Okay maybe he's not really a stranger, but although she knows he's her father, she's still shy and wary around the man who was never really a figure in her life.

And if one thing is certain about her in this episdoe... she's looks really lonely.

"Is it okay if I take out the pepper?"

If Tomoya didn't give a damn about Ushio, he would not have said this honestly. For me, this is the line the really gives the first impression that he does, in fact, care about her. And as someone who also cooks, taking out the pepper in fried rice is really really hard.

Also... OMFG YAY rice sprinkles!!

"Let's go to the beach!"

This was not a line from either father or daughter but from a random passerby, but this is I think is the most memorable scene in this episode. You only need to look at Ushio's lonely face, and her father's bored one, to know what she really wants.

"Do you want to go on a trip? Are you fine with a person like me?"

A journey to an unknown place for an unknown reason. A father and a daughter separated by death and five years. They don't know what Sanae and Akio planned for them but... that is a story for another episode.

----------------

The transition of Ushio skipping at the end of the episode into the ED was pure genius.
Old 2009-02-06, 12:00   Link #53
nani
Dreamer
*Artist

Quote:
Originally Posted by cbatty View Post
From that point on, I like to think that Tomoya's grey world may had a bit more colour in it.
Nice episode. Although there is no major plot advancement, I am already growing attached to Ushio..... My only nitpick is that this episode should be done in monochrome to emphasis Tomoya's lost of interest in everything.

On the other hand, anyone noticed that in the 5 years in between, the Furukawa household had replaced their old TV with a wide screen flat panel TV? In addition, the withering of the plants in Tomoya's house is a nice touch. Once again, KyoAni's attention to details impresses me very much.

Old 2009-02-06, 12:45   Link #54
blanclait

^
ya and the dango dolls are gone.
Old 2009-02-06, 12:45   Link #55
Kinny Riddle
Gone for Good

Welcome to the spotlight at last Ushio-chan. No more will there be trigger-happy mods laying their finger on callous users who carelessly utter your name.

Kyo-Ani made Ushio-chan resemble Nagisa even more than Key's illustrations ever did. Though Ushio didn't inherit the ahoge on her mother's side. This robably means she'll inherit her father's wittiness instead of her mother and grandparents' occasional eccentricities.

As if to make it absolutely crystal clear, Kyo-Ani nicely synched Ushio running with the beginning of Torch, leaving no doubt that the girl skipping happily at the beginning of this ED is indeed Ushio.

Thumbs up must be given to Nakamura Yuuichi for giving this disheartened and disillusioned Tomoya (not to mention taking up smoking and no longer regularly clean-shaven) a somewhat new and different voice than the cool but still naive Tomoya that we've gotten used to in the past.

Tomoya, when Ushio says she went to the bathroom all by herself, you're supposed to praise her, not saying as a matter-of-factly that you do it by yourself as well. Then again, he's not been a father all these 5 years of depression.

PS Nearly forgot, if Sanae-san can obtain Akiko's Jam (TM), obtaining Sayuri-san's giant anteater doll is no problem for her.

Last edited by Kinny Riddle; 2009-02-06 at 12:59.
Old 2009-02-06, 12:47   Link #56
Dream
working...

i always thought ED girl was tomoyo
Old 2009-02-06, 12:58   Link #57
TooPurePureBoy
Socially Inept

I knew that seemed like a kindergartner's outfit at the beginning of the ED ! Yay Me!

It's weird, I look at Ushio and i'm like, wow that would be painful because she is such a reminder of Nagisa in the looks department, but she definitely has her own unique personality. I can't wait to see her work her magic and bring Tomoya out of his funk.
Old 2009-02-06, 13:47   Link #58
velvet
"with you, happiness"

Quote:
Originally Posted by brocko View Post
And I just had to mention this scene let alone post screenies of it.

She somewhat kinda reminds me of Kana from Minami-ke and Miu from Ichigo Mashimaro in that pose for some reason. I also had an idea for one of em de-motivator posters using the first screenshot, but I just couldn't bring myself to use Ushio for such a purpose
She did not cry. (We'll see the reason real soon, I think)
Thanks to that I was the one crying.
You live your life strongly, carrying your mother's resolution.

It was painful enough watching Tomoya avoiding Ushio's look.
Why? She's not at fault.
I can't stand looking at a 5 years old not being rewarded.

Oh I know. You just can't stand it right?
She looked a lot like Nagisa.
But Ushio did not deserved that.
You just become the very person you despised of.

[/rant][/cry]

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kristen View Post
Though they didn't play the right song at the end of the episode.

10/10 for the episode, loses a point for playing the wrong song just before the ED, so 9/10 overall.
Just a friendly reminder, but...
Negau ga Kanau Basho ni II and Sora ni Hikaru (the one played in the end of this EP) is the two songs you should really watch out for.
One of those two always appeared when something not good for our health (in other words, painful) or simply touching, came.

Edit 1 :
@Joachim
Its titled Uminari I and II in japanese I think

Edit II:

Preview. Ganbare Ushio-chan. mou sukoshi dake, sukoshi dake desu kara.....

Last edited by velvet; 2009-02-06 at 14:19.
Old 2009-02-06, 14:03   Link #59
Joachim
et tu, brute?

Quote:
Originally Posted by velvet View Post

Just a friendly reminder, but...
Negau ga Kanau Basho ni II and Sora ni Hikaru (the one played in the end of this EP) is the two songs you should really watch out for.
One of those two always appeared when something not good for our health (in other words, painful) or simply touching, came.
^

quoted for truth damn those 2 track and i dont know the japanese name, but in my ipod it was titled "roaring tides & roaring tides 2" and that track also usually plays when something painful come in play
Old 2009-02-06, 14:27   Link #60
typhonsentra

Wow, I can't believe I never put it together it was Ushio at the beginning of the ED. Always assumed it was Nagisa. And holy crap, they look so much alike!

But I have to say, even if he's hurt over his wife to just abandon your child like that is still unacceptable. Perhaps he couldn't take care of her while he worked but to never even regularly visit? Douchebag.
Closed Thread