AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > To Aru Kagaku no Railgun

Notices

Old 2010-03-07, 10:04   Link #161
Alhazred

Quote:
Originally Posted by Avegaille View Post
Actually, Kuroko does touch Uiharu's flowers in Episode 1 of Railgun. It's in the crepe scene just before Mikoto and Saten approach them.
<shrug> So the writers really were just messing with everyone with regard to the flowers being somehow related to Uiharu's power - unless anyone else can think of a remotely plausible explanation for why a 'constant temperature' power somehow results in Uiharu apparently not being aware of the flowers in the school visit episode? Though... if she didn't 'arrange' them, and they just grew that way (O_o?), i guess she might have been confused because they were complimenting her on how well arranged they were..

Last edited by Alhazred; 2010-03-07 at 10:22.
Alhazred is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-03-07, 10:27   Link #162
babohtea

Maybe the writers messed up? LOL
babohtea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-03-07, 19:23   Link #163
MeisterBabylon
~ Your Smile ~
*Author

So far, Entropy Stop was the best theory put forward. She prevents the flowers from decaying, as much as stopping the fishcakes from losing heat.

OR, Uiharu just pulled a fast one on us. Or rather, on Endosaki. Considering the bedridden girl failed to reply, maybe our techie isn't such a shallow girl after all...
Old 2010-03-07, 23:41   Link #164
Daisu
Strange New World
*Graphic Designer

Seems like she just a low level pyro - Pyrokinesis!

Old 2010-03-08, 04:42   Link #165
Haak
Me, An Intellectual

WHAT?!?! Uiharu evolves into a Fire–type Pokemon?!?!? But...but...grass is weak to Fire! Oh God I’m so confused. It’s like all the beliefs my view of the world is based on have been utterly shattered. How do I go on with life not knowing what to believe in anymore?
Haak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-03-08, 04:55   Link #166
Seihai
スマイリウム

Quote:
Originally Posted by babohtea View Post
Maybe the writers messed up? LOL
Maybe the writers ARE messed up?lol
Old 2010-03-08, 06:03   Link #167
Nya~n
umbrella moe~♥

Quote:
Originally Posted by Haak View Post
WHAT?!?! Uiharu evolves into a Fire–type Pokemon?!?!? But...but...grass is weak to Fire! Oh God I’m so confused. It’s like all the beliefs my view of the world is based on have been utterly shattered. How do I go on with life not knowing what to believe in anymore?
And flying types are weak to ice. doesn't stop articuno from being a bird.
Old 2010-03-08, 07:23   Link #168
tsunade666

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nya~n View Post
And flying types are weak to ice. doesn't stop articuno from being a bird.
so it wouldn't stop uiharu to evolve into fire type venosaur.
tsunade666 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-03-08, 08:01   Link #169
LastResolve

maybe the flowers are fake....also her power cant be pyrokinesis she cant form flame she just keep the temperature stable
Old 2010-03-08, 08:02   Link #170
Marcus H.
Princess or Plunderer?

If they were fake, JC Staff sure gives a lot of effort in its details. Just like it's alive. :O
Spring 2023: Yamada-kun to Lv999 no Koi wo Suru, Kuma Kuma Kuma Bear Punch! (4/12), Skip to Loafer, Tonikaku Kawaii S2 (1/12), Otonari ni Ginga (5/12) and Kimi wa Houkago Insomnia (3/13).

Contact me on Wikia and MyAnimeList.
Anime List Status ~ Watching: 33. Completed: 468. Plan to watch: 39.
Marcus H. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-03-08, 08:45   Link #171
Daisu
Strange New World
*Graphic Designer

Quote:
Originally Posted by LastResolve View Post
maybe the flowers are fake....also her power cant be pyrokinesis she cant form flame she just keep the temperature stable
Well she is level 1. Plus more of an excuse of keeping it secret. Maybe she burned something down when younger...
Old 2010-03-08, 10:43   Link #172
Kon the Magnificent

The more I think about it, the more I'm beginning to compare Uiharu to Aruka from Needless, just hell of weaker, but in time we see the Uiharu as the Aruka of Railgun....just liek Saten will one day be Saten
Kon the Magnificent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-03-08, 11:54   Link #173
tsunade666

what aruka = uiharu and saten = saten. hahaha. I remember saten using wind turbulance and which also reminds me of the omake of saten that use kamekazi on uiharu to flip skirt.

Too much connection.
tsunade666 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-03-08, 12:49   Link #174
Alhazred

Quote:
Originally Posted by tsunade666 View Post
what aruka = uiharu and saten = saten. hahaha. I remember saten using wind turbulance and which also reminds me of the omake of saten that use kamekazi on uiharu to flip skirt.

Too much connection.
'Connections' that are utterly meaningless, if Uiharu's example is anything to go by. Both the omakes and the anime heavily implied that Uiharu's power had something significant to do with the flowers on her head, which turns out not to be the case (thus far). Given that track record, i'm thinking that pretty much anything is still possible with Saten's power until they actually, explicitly reveal it...
Alhazred is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-03-08, 13:30   Link #175
Nya~n
umbrella moe~♥

well, seeing as every idiot and their grandmother didn't notice the subs properly and thought Uiharu described her power as "heat things up" instead of "maintain temperature", i thought i'd suggest a speculation or two of her ability.

Seeing as how Saten's ability result card in episode 14 listed some of the main classes like vision(Clairvoyance), seeing into the future(Precognition), mental abilities(Telepathy), location(Psychometry) and manipulation of objects(Psykinesis), i'd assume these list the basic fundamentals of how abilities work.

If it's temperature, i'd assume that Psykinesis(aka telekinesis) is the key mechanism of action. (my theory is also that telekinesis forms the basis of other abilities as well, like the telekinetical control of electrons(Electromasters), atmosphere(Aero Shooters), speed(Equal Speed), etc.)

Pyrokinesis, i'd assume that it's an ability that telekinetically excites atoms and molecules to heat things up.

Microwave, as someone suggested in the episode thread, would only achieve the di-electric effect of heating by generating low frequency EM waves.

Both options which, now expended, leads me to my theory of Uiharu's power - telekinetical control over excitation state of atoms. "Temperature", in laymen's terms, is how much the atoms of an object are excited. The more they move around/vibrate, the hotter they are. If Uiharu can telekinetically maintain the current excitation state of the object, that would most certainly explain why her ability is one that "keeps whatever (she) touch(es) at a constant temperature".
Old 2010-03-08, 13:38   Link #176
Haak
Me, An Intellectual

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nya~n View Post
well, seeing as every idiot and their grandmother didn't notice the subs properly and thought Uiharu described her power as "heat things up" instead of "maintain temperature",..
Let me take this oppurtunity to point out that I did actually notice but realised that wouldn't quite work in the Pokemon joke.
Haak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-03-08, 13:47   Link #177
Nya~n
umbrella moe~♥

the pokemon joke DID get overboard after all.

Personally i think it's just a kneejerk reaction to the red herring, since almost everyone kept expecting her ability to be intimately related to the flowers and set too much in store by it. Then again, that's what red herrings do.
Old 2010-03-08, 15:00   Link #178
babohtea

Entropy Stop: Uiharu stands for all that is orderly and good.
babohtea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-03-08, 23:10   Link #179
CrazyPerson

((TL;DR version: Her AIM maintains the thermal energy level of objects in contact with her.))

I think I'm going to ahead and say why I believe Uiharu's ability isn't entropy stop, psychokinesis, microwaves, or anything requiring conscious thought.

Temperature is defined as the partial derivative of the energy in the system with respect to entropy: T = dE/dS where S is entropy.

If there's no change in entropy, the derivative goes to zero and there's no temperature. Or, at the very least there's no change in temperature of whatever object she's touching.

Now, if there's no change in temperature, that means the object she's holding can't give off or receive heat. The effect would be like touching something that's exactly the same temperature as your hand, but it isn't. This isn't the effect Uiharu has on the tayaki; it's definitely giving off heat.

The best explanation of her ability would be that she can make an object's thermal energy remain constant, just like how the guy in the ball bearings (young Kuroko episode) can maintain constant potential and kinetic energy in a ball bearing. That way, the object Uiharu's touching never decreases in temperature, nor goes up, but can still give off heat energy.

As a side note, her ability probably isn't telekinetic control over excitement state, using EM fields or microwaves of any sort. If it was, she'd be able to heat and/or cool things or basically set any object at any temperature she wished. Maintaining the heat energy level with one of these powers would require incredibly precise control of heating or cooling along with constant knowledge of the state of the energy level of the object at all times. That sounds more like level 5 control, like Mikoto having trouble keeping something from boiling over in the holodeck camping trip episode. Even she had to focus.

The flowers are a red herring, and entropy relating to chaos doesn't mean it's bad.
CrazyPerson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-03-09, 01:10   Link #180
MeisterBabylon
~ Your Smile ~
*Author

Well... creating energy out of nothing does seem like a common trait with all of them ESPers...

Still, I bemoan the discovery that Uiharu turns out to be a Fire-type pokemon. Maybe someday, Flame users understand that they are in fact controlling oscillating vectors on individual atoms and take control of that, thus leveling up as wannabe Accels.

Maybe that is why we don't see Fireblasters above Level 3, besides being a relatively common skill.

Tags
characters