AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Current Series > One Piece

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 2012-04-18, 04:09   Link #1
marvelB

One Piece - Chapter 664 [manga]

Welcome to the weekly manga discussion thread for One Piece.

Thread Guidelines
  • One Piece is licensed by Viz, please don't ask for or mention where to find or download the manga.
  • Please do not discuss scanlations, translation groups, etc., etc.
  • Raw requests and offers are not permitted anywhere on this forum.
  • Discuss your expectations of the chapter if it has not been published yet.
  • Posting a synopses or summary is fine (and welcome).
  • Be polite to your fellow forum members.
  • Please try to keep the discussion on topic.
  • Spoilers will not be policed in this thread, so if you haven't read the chapter yet, just stay out if you don't want to read spoilers.
Remember that the manga is licensed, do not post significant parts of the chapter. This includes images, scripts and direct translations of the manga. Summaries are OK, crops of pictures are OK (only if you need to illustrate your point) but this is it.

Last week we finally learned the identity of the master of Punk Hazard. What other mysteries surround him? Credit goes to T for the summary, and various AP forums members (kudou, CCC, etc.) for translation:

-Chapter title is "M. Caesar Crown". No ministory this week since there's a color page instead.

-Tashigi says she recalls hearing reports of kidnappings around the general area of PH, and Smoker says that info is news to him. It turns out that G5 gets reports of kidnappings often but upon reaching the papers they get altered into news of accidents, shipwrecks and pirate attacks instead. However, Smoker says he doesn't believe that there's a mole amongst the G5 group, and tells some of them to steal a ship and report to the government while he exposes the leader of this conspiracy. Meanwhile, Caesar is talking with the aforementioned mole via denden (who is called "JOKER" at this point) and gives the scientist permission to eliminate the Straw-Hats and marines, under the pretext that they died in an "accident" in the fire ocean.....

-Caesar orders his men to capture who they can, but to be careful since the captain is a 400 million bounty head. Monet (Harpy) says that Luffy might be even stronger than his bounty indicates. Brownbeard's crew then beg the scientist to save their captain, but he has them test a new "medicine" first. Meanwhile, Usopp made masks for hia body-swapped crew companions in order to tell them apart. Brownbeard believes that Law will save him, and says again that the rookies from Luffy's generation are the greatest monsters. It turns out that he lost both of his legs during his encounter with Hawkins before the skip, and was sent to PH. Many other prisoners were sent to the island to be experimented on, but were abandoned after the incident from 4 years prior. A bunch of those prisoners also lost the use of their legs due to the nerve gases there, but they view Caesar as being their savior. Furthermore, Law arrived at the island just a few months ago and modified the disabled prisoners into centaurs. Brownbeard then tells the Straw-Hats that they'll be captured and experimented on, as well.....

-It seems the medicine Caesar gave his slaves was a failure. We then find out that he was indeed the one responsible for the incident at PH 4 years ago. He is now a former scientist with a bounty of 300 million on his head, and is a wielder of the gas gas fruit. He says that he'll prove himself to be the world's top scientist. Smoker says that failure to stop Caesar will result in grave consequences.....

-BTW, looks like there's an extra little newspaper segment this issue with content like eyewitness accounts of seeing Moria alive and talk of Bonney's imprisonment. Furthermore, there's talks of Blackbeard increasing his powers and that the whereabouts of Kuzan (better known to us as Aokiji) are unknown....

...Whew! Quite an info-packed chapter this week! So apparently there's a mole amongst Smoker's group, eh? And now we learn what happened to Brownbeard. Still a gas fruit sounds a little similar to Smoker's, IMO. I'm sure there will be many differences, but.... eh. Oh well, still looking forward to his design. Anyhoo:

NOTE: THIS CHAPTER WILL BE RELEASED ON A DOUBLE ISSUE, SO THERE WILL BE ANOTHER BREAK COMING UP DUE TO THE GOLDEN WEEK HOLIDAY. HOWEVER, THIS DOES NOT NECESSARILY MEAN THAT THERE WON'T BE A CHAPTER NEXT WEEK. SO BE ON THE LOOKOUT FOR A NEW THREAD BY NEXT WEEKEND AT THE VERY LEAST.

Last edited by marvelB; 2012-04-19 at 13:56.
Old 2012-04-18, 04:27   Link #2
marvelB

Pardon the double post, but.... WOW, CC looks like he stepped right out of freaking Naruto of all series:

Spoiler:
Old 2012-04-18, 06:23   Link #3
andy

Quote:
Originally Posted by marvelB View Post
Pardon the double post, but.... WOW, CC looks like he stepped right out of freaking Naruto of all series:

Spoiler:
Yes he does lol
Seem like a chapter with allot of info looking forward to it .
Old 2012-04-18, 06:34   Link #4
aohige
( ಠ_ಠ)

I like CC's design. And his lines are fitting of his madness.

"What do they mean, the experiment was a failure!? My weapon killed an entire island!!
How could they consider it a failure!? I can kill more enemies than ANYONE!
Shurororo.... I've been throughly observing the status of the victims as well....
Just watch, I'll show them who the best scientist in the world is!!"

Also, seeing some people's reaction in other sites makes me facepalm...
The MAGAZINE ITSELF is taking a break, not Oda, people.
Old 2012-04-18, 07:34   Link #5
andy

Quote:
Originally Posted by aohige View Post
I like CC's design. And his lines are fitting of his madness.

"What do they mean, the experiment was a failure!? My weapon killed an entire island!!
How could they consider it a failure!? I can kill more enemies than ANYONE!
Shurororo.... I've been throughly observing the status of the victims as well....
Just watch, I'll show them who the best scientist in the world is!!"
Yep those lines made me really like him more as a character .
Old 2012-04-18, 07:53   Link #6
Jouten

Quote:
Originally Posted by marvelB View Post

Spoiler:
IKR??

Also Tashigi in Smoker's body... It's soooo weird. Though I like how Smoker acts in Tashigi's body

He really does plan on taking on Law again to take his body and his heart back. I don't really see the Straw Hats helping him, but I don't see Smoker winning in Tashigi's body either... Wonder how the situation will be cleared up. Also I wonder if Luffy will fight Caesar Clown or Law? He doesn't really have a reason to fight either of them (well except for the "we want your bodies to experiment on them" part, which Luffy doesn't really seem to care about much) And Caesar doesn't seem to be the type of guy who'd go after the Straw Hats himself.

I actually hope that this arc will revolve more around Smoker, because he knows what Caesar is up to and because he does have a reason to fight him. Smoke vs Gas seems to be a good match up and Tashigi could fight the Harpy girl. Still they need to get their bodies back and Law is surely not going to give them back deliberately...
Old 2012-04-18, 08:01   Link #7
ellifeedn
Thinker

I expect dozens of "Smoker in Tashigi's body" fanart to appear in the near future. And Luffy will go after Law to have him put the Strawhats back into their original bodies.
Old 2012-04-18, 08:12   Link #8
Kanon
Kana Hanazawa ♥

This is it. I want a Smoker vs Sanji fight to happen in this arc. In the bodies they're in right now, of course. Smo-Tashigi is just awesome.

Ceaser seems like quite a nasty bastard. I'm guessing his DF ability is some sort of mix between Smoker's and Magellan's, in which case Luffy would be the perfect opponent for him since he has a high resistance to poison.
Old 2012-04-18, 08:53   Link #9
~Yami~
a random Indonesian otaku

shulolololo.... caesar clown's design is scary....

then, Strawhat will face poison gas in this arc

we already hear Brownbeard's version, now let's wait to hear the truth version from Law or CC

I like how Luffy's generation are called worst generation all the time... hahaha
Old 2012-04-18, 08:58   Link #10
james0246

The Smoker-chan bit has already overstayed its welcome. Sadly, I expect a lot more of it in weeks to come.

That being said, I liked the pacing of Blackbeard's story mixed with the sharp cut to CC killing one of the inmates. It was a nice juxtaposition.

Additionally, I like the little face-plates given to the swapped-Strawhats. How Usopp made them in a desolate wasteland is beyond me, but they are cute and helpful.

I also really liked CC's design and overall craziness, and I am hoping the Gas Gas fruit is more interesting than it sounds.

All in all, this was an okay chapter. A bit too obvious in its exposition-heavy content, but still fun and mostly exciting.
Old 2012-04-18, 09:08   Link #11
ZeroForever

hmm i'm curious who this 'joker' marine insider contact, my initial thought was that guy that was working with don flamigo to off moria.

fun explanation chapter, as noted it could have been split up into separate parts as it was a large info dump but at least it does clarify stuff like how the Hawkins/Brownbeard fight went.
Though what happened to the rest of the samurai's body, wasn't it chasing after brook? and if brook rejoined them should they have all the pieces now.
Old 2012-04-18, 09:12   Link #12
RRW
Unspecified
*Scanlator

hmm i wonder how Oda differentiated smoke-smoke fruit and gas-gas fruit

i am speculate that the dragon is own by Noble and their bounty will get double because of that reason

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kanon View Post
This is it. I want a Smoker vs Sanji fight to happen in this arc. In the bodies they're in right now, of course. Smo-Tashigi is just awesome.
Sanji will lose easily because he cannot use Nami beautiful leg and connot hit girl

Old 2012-04-18, 09:12   Link #13
kiak666

Lol, I agree that Ceasar's face does look like something that came from Naruto. Also, seeing how Smoker and Tashigi act in their current body sure is weird.
Old 2012-04-18, 09:38   Link #14
ronin myael
lost ronin

glad that some things have been cleared in this chapter.

so if cc is the ultimate baddie in this arc, then what is law's role in it? is he working with cc because of some personal agenda, or is he doing it to save those human experiments, including the children? hmmm...
Old 2012-04-18, 10:36   Link #15
Randrak42
ANEGO Worshiper

2 right after Luffy learns how to fight them. I see what you did there Oda.
Old 2012-04-18, 10:44   Link #16
marvelB

So... did anyone notice that we apparently learned the name of the Wano samurai? "Will o' the-Wispkinemon"? (Is that really his name in the original Japanese script, BTW? If Aohige or anyone else can verify that, I'd sure be grateful). And yeah, CC is looking like a really awesome villain so far. He's got a cool design (Naruto comparison aside), and it looks like he's a real maniac, considering how proud he was of his WMDs (and shrugging off the fact that he killed one of his own slaves....). I also like his laugh (shurorororo!) I'm definitely looking forward to the upcoming showdown between him and Luffy. Maybe our supernova friend will even team up with Smoker and Law in order to take down the mad scientist....

Anyways, Brownbeard's story was quite interesting, indeed. I also find it amusing how Chopper and Franky were awed by CC's generosity (let's see how long those sentiments last when they finally meet the guy). I'm also wondering what name the world nobles gave Vegapunk's dragon (and considering that it was artificially-made creature, I doubt that will be the last one we see in the story). And another thought occurred to me: I while back I mentioned the possibility that the samurai's son was CC. Of course, that theory's been voided by now, but I actually still wouldn't give up on the possibility that the son may be an enemy. Seeing as we still haven't actually seen Momonosuke since the samurai mentioned his name, he's probably been converted into some kind of deadly weapon through Caesar's experiments by now.....
Old 2012-04-18, 10:51   Link #17
james0246

I'm not really getting the Naruto comparison. CC seems more similar to an Oda design (of course ) or at least Shiibashi's Nurarihyon no Mago. Kishimoto's designs are far more simplistic.
Old 2012-04-18, 10:57   Link #18
marvelB

^I dunno, CC just looks to me like he's Oda's version of Orochimaru or something. I guess it's the long dark hair and creepy, (somewhat) bishie face that does it for me.....
Old 2012-04-18, 11:09   Link #19
aohige
( ಠ_ಠ)

It's the eyes. Combined with the shadeless clean b&w look.
Old 2012-04-18, 11:09   Link #20
Randrak42
ANEGO Worshiper

Another thing, Monet actually seemed to me like she could be a researcher or something, judging from her behaviours this chapter.
Closed Thread