AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series

Notices

Old 2012-11-22, 01:22   Link #1461
gaiar31

Now BD vol.01 on hold is 6,721 disc!!!

> < Hooray

Win Chuunibyou Demo Koi ga Shitai by Kyo anime and To love Ru Darkness by Xebec
gaiar31 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-11-22, 03:01   Link #1462
4Tran

Quote:
Originally Posted by SatelliteCannon View Post
So I was a little amused (and a bit frustrated) that Steel Panthers won't allow me to make a proper scenario that matches the St. Gloriana and Saunders battles. The reason is that the PzKpfw IV D is no longer available after 1942 for some reason, while both the Churchill Mk VIII and the Sherman Firefly can only be in a 1944 or later battle. I would have to mess with the game's OOB files to make it "historically correct" or make do with the IV F or H variants.
Historical accuracy is enforced even in the scenario creator? That's pretty harsh. On the other hand, that screen shot is great!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Midonin View Post
I'm actually sort of looking forward to seeing what happened with Mako. She's normally so deadpan and disinterested that to have something break that is intriguing, but a desperate situation in the family is much more personal and serious than the sport, though I think the show's writers will be able to find a balance such that Mako won't lose her grandmother or her school. I can't see Team the Main Characters advancing with just three people. They need everyone there.
I think that it's more that the creators have a understanding of what kind of appeal their show holds, and that they have no intention of messing with that. Whatever drama exists seems purely to justify a bit of characterization, not as a real obstacle. Almost everything else in Girls und Panzer is tank related. Besides, the Italian episode has all the hallmarks of a comedy break, and you wouldn't mix heavy drama into that.

I think the Saunders girls got a lot of cool characterization. It's quite impressive since they were in combat almost the whole time.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Endless Knackwurst View Post
The random thought that occurred to me was that the first-year team did a lot better in this match than they did in both the "learn as you go" school match (where they tried to run away and threw a track) and in the friendly match with St. Gloriana (where they bailed out). This time they held up under fire and got in a few shots of their own. But they still got knocked out. I wonder if they're going to be the goat of a running gag of somehow being disabled in every match, or if they'll manage to get better as they go.
They weren't the goat in the Saunders match at all - getting knocked out by a Firefly bring no shame. Sure their greeness still makes them panic, but they were far more capable this time around, just as the overall team cohesion has been higher. I imagine that they'll do much better against Anzio since Ooarai should have superior tanks for the first time. Maybe even the Type 89 can do some damage!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vallen Chaos Valiant View Post
Narratively, the script writers can't afford to let the Brits fight on screen again as they already got their own episode in the Friendly. So it is clear they shoehorned in the Firefly for Saunders in order to give it screentime.

The firefly was too powerful for the friendly match when the protagonists were even less skilled than they are now.
This mirrors my thoughts on the matter. I think that they also didn't want to put the Firefly with the British tanks since most people don't associate Shermans with the British Army.
Old 2012-11-22, 03:07   Link #1463
RedShocktrooper
Charge Me!

Location: I'm not gone! I'm where you either use a slingshot or a gun!
A thought which lingers in my head is Oorai managing to acquire an earlier-model T-34 I'm for some reason thinking the T-34 with the ZiS-4 57mm gun, if only because...

1. It's a T-34
2. The ZiS-4 could actually penetrate a Tiger I from an appreciable distance IRL
3. It looks like a longer F-34 gun, and I personally like the way the F-34 on the T-34's turret on the pre-1943 version looked.

The reason i want Oorai to happen upon it is because I'm assuming that Pravda is only using T-34-85s to back up that IS tank (I couldn't tell if it was the -2 or -2M because the hull isn't visible, but I can probably guess that it's not going to be the IS-1.)
RedShocktrooper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-11-22, 03:37   Link #1464
Zaku_II
1st Scouting Group

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedShocktrooper View Post
A thought which lingers in my head is Oorai managing to acquire an earlier-model T-34 I'm for some reason thinking the T-34 with the ZiS-4 57mm gun, if only because...

1. It's a T-34
2. The ZiS-4 could actually penetrate a Tiger I from an appreciable distance IRL
3. It looks like a longer F-34 gun, and I personally like the way the F-34 on the T-34's turret on the pre-1943 version looked.

The reason i want Oorai to happen upon it is because I'm assuming that Pravda is only using T-34-85s to back up that IS tank (I couldn't tell if it was the -2 or -2M because the hull isn't visible, but I can probably guess that it's not going to be the IS-1.)
From the manga

Spoiler for Spoilers from manga:
Zaku_II is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-11-22, 05:10   Link #1465
RedShocktrooper
Charge Me!

Location: I'm not gone! I'm where you either use a slingshot or a gun!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zaku_II View Post
From the manga

Spoiler for Spoilers from manga:
I'm aware, but regardless I'm just fond of the Early War -34-57.

Alternatively more early war light tanks - Russia *is* underrepresented, and a BT-5/7M or T-26 might be a fair addition as well.
RedShocktrooper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-11-22, 05:46   Link #1466
LoweGear
Secret Society BLANKET
*Graphic Designer

Girls Und Panzer OVA PV (JP only)

If only we could view that, someone rip it to youtube quick.

In the meanwhile, here's some screens from Episode 7,

Images
Episode 7 preview
Sorry; dynamic content not loaded. Reload?

And some from the OVA

Images
OVA

Dat Yukari

Looks like we're finally getting Miho's backstory next week. Also, Anzio's emblem is... pizza?

The official site is also giving away some icons and wallpapers.

Against all the evil that hell can conjure, all wickedness that mankind can produce... We will send unto them, only you.

Last edited by LoweGear; 2012-11-22 at 07:20.
LoweGear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-11-22, 06:08   Link #1467
wontaek

well, the joke in WW2 is that Italian Army fed their prisoner better than Allies officers would be in Allies mess hall.
Old 2012-11-22, 07:50   Link #1468
LoweGear
Secret Society BLANKET
*Graphic Designer

OVA PV

YouTube

Against all the evil that hell can conjure, all wickedness that mankind can produce... We will send unto them, only you.
Old 2012-11-22, 09:08   Link #1469
PzIVf3

Mama mia Now we have pizza delivery girl.
PzIVf3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-11-22, 09:34   Link #1470
Scarletknive
Meister

Quote:
Originally Posted by PzIVf3 View Post
I will take 1 Hawaiian pizza, thanks.

Quote:
Originally Posted by LoweGear View Post

Looks like we're finally getting Miho's backstory next week. Also, Anzio's emblem is... pizza?
We did see a little backstory from episode 1 though...

I order my pizza already, you guys find a pizza for next week's episode.
Old 2012-11-22, 09:37   Link #1471
LoweGear
Secret Society BLANKET
*Graphic Designer

GuP BD/DVD CM:

YouTube

A few new scenes from the OVA at the end. Looks like all that loading made Yukari into a supergirl capable of swinging Mako high into the air with a single arm ( )

Old 2012-11-22, 09:40   Link #1472
Scarletknive
Meister

Quote:
GuP BD/DVD CM:

YouTube

A few new scenes from the OVA at the end. Looks like all that loading made Yukari into a supergirl capable of swinging Mako high into the air with a single arm ( )
S-Single arm!? I wonder what if she swings Lowe instead.
Old 2012-11-22, 09:40   Link #1473
Midonin
Last Engage

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4Tran View Post
I think that it's more that the creators have a understanding of what kind of appeal their show holds, and that they have no intention of messing with that. Whatever drama exists seems purely to justify a bit of characterization, not as a real obstacle. Almost everything else in Girls und Panzer is tank related.
I'm aware the way I'm interpreting the show is basically backwards by now - but shouldn't the girls have some kind of appeal too? That's why I'm glad for the OVAs, from the looks of things.

I'm simply wondering if there's at least one other person out there who's in the same boat as I.
Midonin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-11-22, 09:52   Link #1474
LoweGear
Secret Society BLANKET
*Graphic Designer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scarletknive View Post
S-Single arm!? I wonder what if she swings Lowe instead.
I wouldn't mind being swung by Yukari

At the very least, we know that should things go south, Yukari has more than enough power to knock someone out

Quote:
Originally Posted by Midonin View Post
I'm aware the way I'm interpreting the show is basically backwards by now - but shouldn't the girls have some kind of appeal too? That's why I'm glad for the OVAs, from the looks of things.

I'm simply wondering if there's at least one other person out there who's in the same boat as I.
Well, the characterization in this show isn't over nor central, but it's still there. The way the characters are portrayed actually feel rather old-school to me, where they don't go into much detail trying to sell you the characters but just let them play them out instead.

It's not like the girl's individual quirks don't shine through, from the Freshmen's newbness to the History Club's eccentricity to the Volleyball team's guts and cunning, and of course the Student Council that needs no introduction. It would be nice though if we can get episodes dedicated to just those teams to further flesh them out, even if we need a second season to do so. ( ) Even the background characters get short bits of individual characterization, like Arisa/Alice's adorable loader who's visibly exasperated at her commander's ravings

Old 2012-11-22, 09:56   Link #1475
tsunade666

Quote:
Originally Posted by PzIVf3 View Post
Pizza they are never gone.

What country is this?
Old 2012-11-22, 09:58   Link #1476
LoweGear
Secret Society BLANKET
*Graphic Designer

Quote:
Originally Posted by tsunade666 View Post
Pizza they are never gone.

What country is this?
That's Italy, represented by the Anzio school. They're Oarai's next opponent, though I don't expect them to be of any significant threat. Anyone versed in WW2 Italian tank design knows why

Old 2012-11-22, 10:28   Link #1477
willx
Nyaaan~~

Quote:
That's Italy, represented by the Anzio school. They're Oarai's next opponent, though I don't expect them to be of any significant threat. Anyone versed in WW2 Italian tank design knows why
So you mean .. Italian tanks aren't coming to World of Tanks any time soon?

.. Then again Chinese and Japanese tanks .. I guess WoT does use experimental designs too though

Signs point to negative
willx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-11-22, 10:35   Link #1478
Random Wanderer

I love the girls. The show wouldn't work without them. Nor would the tank battles be enough to hold my attention without the interesting characters involved in them. And most recently I want to hug and protect Mako. Seeing her shaken up like that is unsettling.
Random Wanderer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-11-22, 10:51   Link #1479
LoweGear
Secret Society BLANKET
*Graphic Designer

Quote:
Originally Posted by willx View Post
So you mean .. Italian tanks aren't coming to World of Tanks any time soon?

.. Then again Chinese and Japanese tanks .. I guess WoT does use experimental designs too though

Signs point to negative
From what I heard the current plan for Italian tanks in WoT is to group them together with tanks from other countries like Poland in a "Europe Tank Tree", since the Italians don't have enough tank designs to fill a full tree unlike the Japanese.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Random Wanderer View Post
I love the girls. The show wouldn't work without them. Nor would the tank battles be enough to hold my attention without the interesting characters involved in them. And most recently I want to hug and protect Mako. Seeing her shaken up like that is unsettling.
Same here. Sure I'd still watch GuP if all it had were tanks, but it's the combination of girls AND tanks that gives it its charm.

Old 2012-11-22, 10:52   Link #1480
Random Wanderer

Quote:
And some from the OVA

Images
OVA

Dat Yukari
I see some fanartists have been rather a bit too conservative when it comes to Yukari's... size, shall we say.
Random Wanderer is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
comedy, gup, original anime, slice of life, sports, tanks