AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Related Topics > General Anime

Notices

Old 2013-02-09, 20:26   Link #41
risingstar3110
✘˵╹◡╹˶✘

From a programming illiterate. why don't we Just make a sub-forum with 23 threads, one for each section?
Old 2013-02-09, 20:48   Link #42
SeijiSensei
AS Oji-kun

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kirarakim View Post
You can have categories like
* Too much effort
* Was confused how to vote
* Didn't like any series nominated
* Didn't even watch anime this year
*Other please explain in comments.
You left out the most common reason, I suspect, "I never heard about the AnimeSuki Choice Awards before. What's that?"

I've seen a couple of postings from folks who have been here quite a while saying they didn't know anything about the Awards at all. That was my rationale for having a sticky during the nomination and voting phases.
SeijiSensei is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-02-09, 21:17   Link #43
relentlessflame

*Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeijiSensei View Post
You left out the most common reason, I suspect, "I never heard about the AnimeSuki Choice Awards before. What's that?"

I've seen a couple of postings from folks who have been here quite a while saying they didn't know anything about the Awards at all. That was my rationale for having a sticky during the nomination and voting phases.
Incidentally, the reason there weren't these sorts of stickies is, I think, simply because this was organized from the ground-up by members without any staff involvement (unlike, say, the banner contests, which are organized by the staff). It became a sort of quasi-official contest basically by acclamation (because someone started it and everyone else just followed along).

I don't necessarily have a problem in theory with raising the profile a bit given that it's established, but I think I would still want to mention somewhere in the announcement that it's run by the members involved (just so that people don't start contacting the mods/admins with complaints about how the contest is run, etc., since it really wouldn't be our place to change anything).
Old 2013-02-09, 22:07   Link #44
Sackett
Cross Game - I need more

Location: I've moved around the American West. I've lived in Oregon, Washington, Utah, and Oklahoma
Quote:
Originally Posted by risingstar3110 View Post
From a programming illiterate. why don't we Just make a sub-forum with 23 threads, one for each section?
Huh...

It's a rather simple solution that uses what the forum already has.

I suppose it could work. At least for the second stage anyway. If the mods are okay with it.

Nominations would still be more difficult.

It would also increase the Awards visibility and allow for locating older Award threads more easily. I guess that might also be useful to someone looking for the best shows in the last few years (a common request over in the suggestions forum).

Cross Game - A Story of Love, Life, Death - and Baseball. What more could you want?
Sackett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-02-09, 23:02   Link #45
creb
Hiding Under Your Bed

I guess I missed the voting.

About all I can say for roughly half the winners is lol (a generic k-onsy school harem show for best visuals...).
Also, cake.
creb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-02-09, 23:10   Link #46
Kirarakim

Quote:
Originally Posted by creb View Post

About all I can say for roughly half the winners is lol (a generic k-onsy school harem show for best visuals...).
Can I ask a question did you actually watch Hyouka? Fair enough if you did and it just didn't appeal to you.

But as someone who is not Kyoani's biggest fan, I thought Hyouka was one of the studios best efforts and the series certainly deserved that award. I also wouldn't call it a generic K-onsy school harem show. There wasn't even a harem.
Old 2013-02-09, 23:27   Link #47
ahelo
Criminal Unrequitor
*Graphic Designer

While I love Fate/Zero a lot, I am a bit torn seeing it winning way too many awards. Well I'm actually just annoyed with it winning most of the acting awards. IMO Yuno is the best villain I've ever seen. Well Chihayafuru won the best TV series award so I'm not gonna complain much.

If I were to make suggestions to next year's poll, it would be to separate Action from Adventure. It's a bit insulting to splice these two together especially when the nominations barely had much in the "adventure" part.
Old 2013-02-10, 01:01   Link #48
risingstar3110
✘˵╹◡╹˶✘

Quote:
Originally Posted by ahelo View Post
While I love Fate/Zero a lot, I am a bit torn seeing it winning way too many awards. Well I'm actually just annoyed with it winning most of the acting awards. IMO Yuno is the best villain I've ever seen. Well Chihayafuru won the best TV series award so I'm not gonna complain much.

If I were to make suggestions to next year's poll, it would be to separate Action from Adventure. It's a bit insulting to splice these two together especially when the nominations barely had much in the "adventure" part.
How is about have each series only can win a certain amount of award? Chosen by the most amounts of votes. So if fsn can only win 1 award (just an example, can be 3-4) then between best mc with 23 votes, and best music with 18 votes, fsn will win the best mc, best music will go to 2nd place anime

Kinda a handicap to prevent popular series win all
Old 2013-02-10, 01:11   Link #49
RegalStar
Mishaguji-sama

Quote:
Originally Posted by creb View Post

Two things.
1: are you serious
2: Which part of "k-onsy", "school" or "harem" has anything to do with visuals
RegalStar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-02-10, 01:15   Link #50
Guardian Enzo
Seishu's Ace
*Author

I'm no KyoAni fanboy, and for me Hyouka was the most visually stunning series since Seirei no Moribito. And no description of the series like the one above could possibly have come from someone who watched it.

F/Z winning all those awards is predictable, and I don't see the solution as being a "slaughter rule" to prevent similar domination in future. The solution, ideally, is for anime viewers to have more diverse tastes - but one need only to look at what sells and what doesn't to know that's not happening anytime soon. And if F/Z is a series that proves that's it's possible to be both very good and very overrated, it is at least the "very good" part - and if a show is going to be a big seller and dominate polls like these, I'd rather it at least be a very good show than something truly mediocre or worse.
Guardian Enzo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-02-10, 01:31   Link #51
vansonbee
❤Ichigo 100%❤

Quote:
Originally Posted by cyth View Post
Wow, so few people voted, I'm kind of disappointed at the turn out.
Well, maybe next time you guys should ask the mod if its cool to send a PM to everyone to notify them about these awards thread.

Glad to see Shin Sekai Yori won being the best ongoing at the moment (barely). I might look into Psycho Pass now
Old 2013-02-10, 04:19   Link #52
totoum
Me at work

Send a message via MSN to totoum
Quote:
Can I ask a question did you actually watch Hyouka? Fair enough if you did and it just didn't appeal to you.
I'd actually be worried if creb watched it,it's one thing to dismiss the show based on a promo picture,it'd be a whole lot more worrisome if creb had watched this and thought it was a "k-on school harem" .
Old 2013-02-10, 05:15   Link #53
Blaat

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeijiSensei View Post
This. I've been on the forums since <-- check the date and this is the first time that I have actively participated in all rounds.
I tend to ignore most subforums below the Games forum and above the off-topic forum. I suspect this apply to many other users as well who simply stick with the anime forums.
Old 2013-02-10, 06:06   Link #54
felix
sleepyhead
*Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by relentlessflame View Post
...We're not installing/implementing an oAuth server just to make an off-site vote script work.
Yeah that's what I told Seiji would be the case when he brought it up.

Quote:
Originally Posted by relentlessflame View Post
We don't need to become an oAuth Provider. I'm willing to come up with something just for this project, but off-site auth is not generally something we need (or want) to do.
It's the same thing really. Any homemade solution would just be some form of authorization from this site to an offsite page. I have no problem with how it works, as long as its secure.
An alternative solution would be of course to just have an offsite helper page that generates the code, since as I understand it writing the list manually is the whole issue here. (in your case at least)
Quote:
Just a suggestion before adding all these new features to change the contest why not just made a general feedback thread with a poll asking why people didn't participate. You can have categories like

* Too much effort
* Was confused how to vote
* Didn't like any series nominated
* Didn't even watch anime this year
* Other please explain in comments.

Obviously not everyone is going to give written feedback, but just voting on one of our regular polls seems easy enough, and I would also suggest creating a sticky to make it visible.
I really feel there's no need for this. The year, compared to say currently ongoing series was just weak for many genres except maybe drama and slice of life. You also then have the whole F/z deal (and the expected "winstreak"), which had to be dealt with this year since the rule for it was introduced this year. Is it really that surprising people were less motivated? I wasn't particularly exited (in the nomination phase) about what choices were available in many categories either. I would have been surprised if this year had been as eventful as last year.

Regardless, the show must go on!

Quote:
You'd have too many options in every single one of those 23 threads. Imagine a thread with all the opening/ending choices or a thread with all the characters from all the shows in the year.

Quote:
How is about have each series only can win a certain amount of award? Chosen by the most amounts of votes. So if fsn can only win 1 award (just an example, can be 3-4) then between best mc with 23 votes, and best music with 18 votes, fsn will win the best mc, best music will go to 2nd place anime

Kinda a handicap to prevent popular series win all
We implemented this year a rule against a series being nominated "best in every genre" since that makes sense as complete abuse. A series having the best male/female character and being best TV and best visuals, etc is not really unreasonable. In fact it would be quite surprising if a series was highly rated in best story, visuals and as a TV series, yet is poorly represented in best male/female/soundtrack/etc.

The problem here is F/z had a monopoly; in many categories. For example look at the ongoing category: Psycho-Pass and Shinsekai Yori are both highly rated but not enough to easily definitively say one is better then the other (at least not yet, while they're ongoing). I'm sure there were a lot of people who expected Psycho-Pass to win.

We are unlikely to artificially prevent a series from winning more then one award. Some people may be grumpy about it, but as long as we don't see a case for abuse (ie. the series unfairly winning) we don't see it as a false positive.
Old 2013-02-10, 06:12   Link #55
totoum
Me at work

Send a message via MSN to totoum
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blaat View Post
I suspect this apply to many other users as well who simply stick with the anime forums.
Well now I'm wondering why the "general anime" forum isn't part of the "anime discussion"section,same with "suggestions".

I can understand how fansub groups,music,manga & light novels,games and fan creations are just "related" since they're not discussing anime directly but a "general anime" section and a "suggestions" section discuss anime directly.
Old 2013-02-10, 06:42   Link #56
MisaoFan
Autistic NEET bath lover

I'm so happy to see some of my favorites (especially Oda Nobuna) on the list, although I wasn't too happy to see P-P losing to SSY.
Have your social attention be noticed in a genuinely positive light.
MyAnimeList
MisaoFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-02-10, 07:45   Link #57
orpheus2
Pleased to Meet You

Glad to see some of choices won especially Fate/Zero and Accel World. Although, it would have been better if there are more voters.
Old 2013-02-10, 07:55   Link #58
Kirarakim

Fate Zero did only win 2 genre awards: Action/Adventure & Fantasy (and well I voted for it in action).

As for its other awards I think it would be unfair to say if you win genre awards you can't win character or music awards.
Old 2013-02-10, 08:05   Link #59
Triple_R
*Author

Send a message via AIM to Triple_R
Madoka Magica and Steins;Gate went head-to-head in numerous categories in the 2011 AS Choice Awards, and some of the vote battles between them went right down to the wire. There was nothing quite like that this year. 2011 also had Fate/Zero, AnoHana, and Mawaru Penguin Drum. This brought in a lot of diverse voters.

Fate/Zero was really the only Madoka Magica/Steins;Gate-esque show for 2012, in that it was both heavily hyped and also very well-received. Chihayafuru was very well-received and is an excellent show, but it doesn't have the same hype of these other anime shows (which is why it's very impressive it won TV Series of 2012). So I do think that accounts at least some for the drop-off in voters from last year to this year.
Old 2013-02-10, 08:07   Link #60
Qilin
Romanticist

Well, I can't say I'm particularly happy that Tari Tari won the Slice-of-Life category. It was a fairly good show for sure, but it was the genre that I feel Hyouka truly excelled at, much more than mystery.

Fate/Zero standing out was the expected outcome, so it was a breath of fresh air to see Chihayafuru winning out as the best TV series. F/Z was deserving indeed, but I simply didn't see it as the best.

All-in-all, not bad for my first time voting on one of these things.

Tags
choice awards