AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Retired > Retired A-L > Kami nomi/TWGOK

Notices

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 2014-04-19, 17:37   Link #10001
Somnus
Eh?
 
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Canada
Quote:
Originally Posted by GreyZone View Post
All in all, the manga was not bad, even though the ending sucked. And no, it is not because of sinking ships or something like that, but rather about the basic flaws of the ending:

tl;dr

The retcons, red herrings and dei ex machina god only knows.]
I'm not usually one to complain about people complaining on forums (as complaints are pretty much the reason for the internet, right? ...right?), but it bothers me when people start making stuff up as reasons for their dissatisfaction.

Whether this manga was canned or not is probably going to stay up in the air, but I can accept either answer given the pacing of recent chapters.

But where the hell are these retcons and red herrings you speak of? If I remember correctly your biggest issue was with Tenri's letter not being revealed, and after it was you're calling it a retcon because it doesn't agree with what you'd hoped it would be? Isn't that just your own fault for putting so much stock in it to begin with?

And even though you say otherwise, that letter was the final blow to Tenri's ship. To which one could conclude that indeed the primary cause of your dissatisfaction was a sinking ship.

TL;DR

Why is it so hard to admit you didn't like the ending cause your girl didn't win?
__________________
Somnus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-04-19, 21:58   Link #10002
Fireminer
Lumine Passio
*Author
 
 
Join Date: Jul 2013
Location: Hanoi, Vietnam
Age: 15
I'm going to miss this. Not a tear-jerked, slice-of-life, heavy or suspense. TWOGK is a mix of all.

Now, when would they finally animation the last part?
Fireminer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-04-19, 22:35   Link #10003
trenton_dawn
Silt
 
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Age: 33
I do feel really bad for Tenri. Chihiro loves the Keima who interacts with the real, but Tenri loves the Keima who hides away and plays games. Unfortunately for Tenri, Keima's character has developed to the point where he is willing to stay in the real for good--not that he will quit games, of course, but he has no plans to cut his ties with the real the way he did for most of the series. So Tenri's first love is a side of Keima that has less and less of a role in his life.

As others mentioned, Ayumi has it tough as well. Because she loves the same thing about Keima as Chihiro does and it's never easy being the 'other girl'.
__________________
Looking for K-ON sheet music?
Master List of K-ON tabs
-------------------------------
trenton_dawn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-04-19, 22:39   Link #10004
Myssa Rei
Moderate Haruhiist
 
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Metro Manila, Philippines
Age: 40
Send a message via ICQ to Myssa Rei Send a message via Yahoo to Myssa Rei
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZodiacBeast View Post
Was there any official source that stated Wakaki was suffering from health problems? I've seen it brought up several times but nobody ever says what he's suffering from.
As someone following him on twitter (@Angelfrench) the only mention of any illness was him catching a cold (which hilariously forced him to put off marrying either Haruna or Takao in Kantai Collection), but that was at FLAG 267, which was already way after the announcement that the manga was ending.
__________________
Myssa Rei is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-04-20, 02:34   Link #10005
matapat
Junior Member
 
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Yeah, while Chihiro ending up being the winning girl I fully expected that given the direction her character arc went and the ending to the festival all but guaranteed it, I still liked her character. Among all the girls she honestly felt like the most "real" and not some kind of moe archetype...tsundere qualities aside.

The rest of the ending, though, felt rushed as all hell. For whatever reason the entire childhood arc felt more like it was a second-to-last story arc leading up to the finale, not the finale itself. And I'm utterly shocked we never got a grown up version of Urara. That seems like a glaring oversight/plot hole that she never showed up at all in the present of the story.
matapat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-04-20, 03:21   Link #10006
GreyZone
"Senior" "Member"
 
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by Somnus View Post
I'm not usually one to complain about people complaining on forums (as complaints are pretty much the reason for the internet, right? ...right?), but it bothers me when people start making stuff up as reasons for their dissatisfaction.

Whether this manga was canned or not is probably going to stay up in the air, but I can accept either answer given the pacing of recent chapters.

But where the hell are these retcons and red herrings you speak of? If I remember correctly your biggest issue was with Tenri's letter not being revealed, and after it was you're calling it a retcon because it doesn't agree with what you'd hoped it would be? Isn't that just your own fault for putting so much stock in it to begin with?

And even though you say otherwise, that letter was the final blow to Tenri's ship. To which one could conclude that indeed the primary cause of your dissatisfaction was a sinking ship.

TL;DR

Why is it so hard to admit you didn't like the ending cause your girl didn't win?
I actually would have prefered a "god"-ending or a "it was all a game"-ending. It seemed out of character for Keima to suddenly choose someone like that at all, but I can deal with it and it was kind of explained. I guess since Chihiro was shown to be an "abnormality" as in not being predictable, and Keima having some kind of responsibility to her, I am fine with just that, even though as I said, I would have prefered if he didn't chose one. What I can not deal with are the sudden plot developments in the recent 5 chapters, that were suddenly turned by 180. Hey Elsie is the big bad... but... that does not matter at all! She just rewrites everything with a Deus Ex Machina and all is OK. Tenri overflows with positive energy because she was rejected! I guess she was secretly a hardcore M that gets aroused by being rejected! The "evil council" or whatever it was, was somehow just found out and then in not even a half chapter "defeated". Mostly off-screen. Which was furthermore Haqua's last appearance. That other Devil with that narcist guy as her partner? I don't even remember her name... Did she even appear in the latest chapters at all after the "start of the mission of going to hell"? I don't know because she turned into such a minor character that I just don't care anymore anyway.

So please, please stop from turning me into a straw man, OK?
__________________
GreyZone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-04-20, 11:49   Link #10007
trenton_dawn
Silt
 
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Age: 33
Lune never showed up after the ship was destroyed, either. None of the 'bad guy' plats got resolved in any way, unfortunately.
__________________
Looking for K-ON sheet music?
Master List of K-ON tabs
-------------------------------
trenton_dawn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-04-20, 20:12   Link #10008
pagan poor
Swayin' to the beat
 
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
This is what happens when a story is cut off before a proper ending can be done. I liked the series, but not much you can really do with an open ending. Oh well. Until it's taken up again...
pagan poor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-04-20, 22:11   Link #10009
RegalStar
Mishaguji-sama
 
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by trenton_dawn View Post
Lune never showed up after the ship was destroyed, either. None of the 'bad guy' plats got resolved in any way, unfortunately.
The conflict in Hell was never directly Keima's problem. It's something he had to take into account because it's in his way, but not his responsibility to resolve.
RegalStar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-04-21, 01:26   Link #10010
trenton_dawn
Silt
 
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Age: 33
Quote:
Originally Posted by RegalStar View Post
The conflict in Hell was never directly Keima's problem. It's something he had to take into account because it's in his way, but not his responsibility to resolve.
True, but if Satyr/Vintage are still around then they might make it his problem, either by attacking him or the goddess hosts (since they may or may not still have the goddesses).

As discussed a couple months ago, if no one else, then Lune definitely knows Keima has something to do with the goddesses.
__________________
Looking for K-ON sheet music?
Master List of K-ON tabs
-------------------------------
trenton_dawn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-04-21, 05:41   Link #10011
RegalStar
Mishaguji-sama
 
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Well it was mentioned that most of Satyr got rounded up, so it can be reasonably assumed that Lune was part of this.
RegalStar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-04-21, 05:54   Link #10012
SaintessHeart
NYAAAAHAAANNNNN~
 
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Age: 32
Quote:
Originally Posted by Myssa Rei View Post
As someone following him on twitter (@Angelfrench) the only mention of any illness was him catching a cold (which hilariously forced him to put off marrying either Haruna or Takao in Kantai Collection), but that was at FLAG 267, which was already way after the announcement that the manga was ending.
Just as I thought; he needs a shrink.

Why marry these two booby traps when he could marry Naka or Yamato?

*-References intended.
__________________

When three puppygirls named after pastries are on top of each other, it is called Eclair a'la menthe et Biscotti aux fraises avec beaucoup de Ricotta sur le dessus.
Most of all, you have to be disciplined and you have to save, even if you hate our current financial system. Because if you don't save, then you're guaranteed to end up with nothing.
SaintessHeart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-04-21, 10:52   Link #10013
psycho bolt
Cowmaster
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
My thoughts,

I think I agree with others that the ending was rushed, because of that I lost satisfaction overall. A game isn't worth playing if you rush for the ending. I think Keima said it best. Now for my final thoughts. I think TWGOK is a decent series, if we look at it as a whole and not at the ending. I guess the manga end didn't really do justice because the execution for it was quite poor. Take the ending for each girl and compare with the recent chapter. This is one series where the journey is worth much more than the ending. Each girl's ending was executed quite well and is very memorable. I can't say there is another series that treats all the girls at the same level. Each encounter with the girls changed him. All I can say is that all the girls deserve Keima. But he can only choose one in reality. Therefore if you were wishing for that godly ending, the reality is Keima is only human and decides to choose the normal route.

Keima only did a flat out confession to Chihiro. I think the confession was lacking, unlike the earlier arcs. And that last moment explanation....Suddenly, Chihiro is put on a higher ground and that Keima has the most feelings when he is with Chihiro...(bah I guess I am upset that the other girls didn't get attention. I'm looking at the girls from past arcs that never got mentioned in the end) I know some people have already said it was hinted early on, but even so that confession was poorly executed. However, could it be that Keima's bland confession signify is more geniune and stands above the rest? Is it really the best ending for all recent the for her developments? (Goddess and Past Arc)

I assume this ending was short because there was too much that needed to be filled within the last pages. It was hard to put them all in, hopefully we get something more someday.

Like others, wished the ending had more to it. But overall I enjoyed the series, mostly the arcs before goddesses. I felt that the journey was worthwhile and would recommend this manga
psycho bolt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-04-22, 21:56   Link #10014
jvcscasio
Lord of Lurkervile
 
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
I loved this manga, I loved the memories it gave and I loved being around these characters. Much of what I write nowadays is thanks to Kaminomi.

This series will be missed, and will always have a space in my bookshelf, besides Harry Potter, Golden Compass and Fullmetal.
jvcscasio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-04-23, 13:11   Link #10015
matteas
Member Member
 
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Czech Republic
Age: 29
I'm one of the minority group here who liked the ending. The scene with Dokurou was a pinnacle for me and I would have been mad if Wakaki hadn't drawn a few pages with Keima and Dokurou in the last chapter. I wanted her to call him onii-chan face to face after he arrived back from the past and I'm delighted that she did at the very last moment.

The semi-open ending is to my liking too. It leaves a few question without a clear answer and lets everyone reach his or her own conclusion. Some people have mentioned that Kaminomi might have been abruptly axed by the editors, but I don't think that they would ax a successful series such as Kaminomi when it was clear that it was approaching a conclusion. Well, maybe they could, but I don't think they did. The conclusion of the Goddess Arc seemed to have a very similar pace to me. Of course, I'd like to read a few more chapters about what the characters do now when everything is over, but I suppose that Wakaki preferred to finish it at a large momentum rather than slowly fade out, and I like the way he's carried it out. The only discrepancy seems to be Kaori. She was given quite a lot of space and it was hinted that she might meet Keima again in the future. However, I can't really imagine what role she could play if Wakaki wasn't going to start a new arc, which I doubt.

I do feel bad for Haqua. She's gotten the short end of the stick. And I also feel bad for Tenri, who was a key figure, waited 10 years for Keima and then she was told there was no ending where the two of them would end up together. That must have hurt.

I will miss this series very much, and I'm looking forward to Wakaki's next work.
matteas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-04-23, 19:04   Link #10016
RegalStar
Mishaguji-sama
 
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
It took me a few days to put everything together in their place, but once I did, almost every piece of the story started to connect and I realized that this has been the same powerful series that I've known it to be since I first followed it, nearly three years ago. It really was a great ride from beginning to end, and I'm very happy with how it turned out in the end.
RegalStar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-04-24, 13:06   Link #10017
MrTerrorist
Takao Tsundere Cruiser
 
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Classified
What an ending. Glad Keima decided to get serious and settle with one of the girls even it wasn't my favorite (I'll still ship Keima x Yui!).

Of course there's still the fate of the other characters and what happen to them. Hopefully the final volume will tell us that.

Thank you Wakaki for making a great manga for everyone to read.
__________________
MrTerrorist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-04-24, 22:50   Link #10018
ices
Working Hard
 
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
First, thanks to Wakaki-sensei for bringing this series for us. I actually can't believe that we already reach the ending. But I'm glad that it's ended with a sweet end.

Well, actually, I wanna write an 500-words essay about why Chihiro is the appropriate end-girl for Keima. But, apparently, someone already doing this. Not exactly about the Manga ending, but you could put his/her words to the Manga context.

Trust, Agency, and The World God Only Knows

Last edited by ices; 2014-04-25 at 03:16. Reason: typo
ices is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-04-25, 02:00   Link #10019
Silver-Throne
Big Game
*Author
 
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: Exclusively Inside Your Mind.
Thank you Wakaki-sensei for making a great manga, I look forward reading your future manga works.

EDIT : oops, my bad

Last edited by Silver-Throne; 2014-04-26 at 07:49.
Silver-Throne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-04-25, 09:28   Link #10020
GreyZone
"Senior" "Member"
 
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by Silver-Throne View Post
Thank you Wakaki-sensei for making a great manga, I look forward reading your future manga works.

I hope that the incoming final chapter is something that I will remember(at least not make it disappointing)
wait, wait, wait, wait... there is another chapter? Where did you hear that?
__________________
GreyZone is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
comedy, harem, shounen

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 19:37.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.11
Copyright ©2000 - 2021, vBulletin Solutions Inc.
We use Silk.