AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Related Topics > General Anime

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 2008-08-14, 14:16   Link #2681
Zeroryoko1974

Send a message via AIM to Zeroryoko1974 Send a message via Yahoo to Zeroryoko1974
Quote:
Originally Posted by minhtam2448 View Post
Hey, I said "much less so". Emphasis on much. I do agree that Hayate will give Miku way too much pressure, as well as Yutaka (moebleed), but I honestly think that there will be a huge Miku showing, that because she is "different" than the rest. That being said, I highly doubt that Nagisa will make top 8, despite having an easy road in the top 16.

EDIT: My Saimoe Statistics highly say otherwise. Top 20 and what group they're in.

Group A - #8 Fuko Ibuki, #15 Hanyuu Furude, #18 Fate T. Harlaown

Group B - #10 Kirino Chiba, #20 Mikan Yuuki

Group C - #1 Kyou Fujibayashi, #5 Kagami Hiiragi, #7 Yuno, #14 Louise Francoise

Group D - #4 Maria, #12 Rena Ryuguu, #19 Konata Izumi,

Group E - #2 Horo, #11 Tamaki Kawazoe,

Group F - #9 Nagisa Furukawa, #17 Yutaka Kobayakawa

Group G - #3 Nagi Sanzen'in, #6 Tsukasa Hiiragi,

Group H - #13 Hinagiku Katsura, #16 Isumi Saginomiya

As has been said, ISML and Saimoe are apples and oraanges. I would call ISML American Saimoe. If it comes down to a close vote, the international votes can sway a contest one way or another but overall things go mostly the way the 2chaners want. Japan largely ignored ISML or the Rozen Maidens, and Hidamari Sketch characters would have likely been much higher. Klan Klan is a darkhorse in that group, don't count her out. Macross is as popular as Gundam, and she is a loli most of the time, so thats a bonus. I do wonder about Miku. She has a strong presence outside of anime, and my undrestanding she is quite popular on 2ch, and it seems that the Nanoha gang has slipped just a bit (outside of Nanoha and Fate that is). Its possible that she could knock off Hayate, but there would likely be a strong backlash from Nanoha supports if that happens

Last edited by Zeroryoko1974; 2008-08-14 at 14:37.
Old 2008-08-14, 14:39   Link #2682
Xellos-_^
Not Enough Sleep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zeroryoko1974 View Post
As has been said, ISML and Saimoe are apples and oraanges. I would call ISML American Saimoe. If it comes down to a close vote, the international votes can sway a contest one way or another but overall things go mostly the way the 2chaners want. Japan largely ignored ISML or the Rozen Maidens, and Hidamari Sketch characters would have likely been much higher. Klan Klan is a darkhorse in that group, don't count her out. Macross is as popular as Gundam, and she is a loli most of the time, so thats a bonus. I do wonder about Miku. She has a strong presence outside of anime, and my undrestanding she is quite popular on 2ch, and it seems that the Nanoha gang has slipped just a bit (outside of Nanoha and Fate that is). Its possible that she could knock off Hayate, but there would likely be a strong backlash from Nanoha supports if that happens
gundam don't do well in saimoe, just look at past results with the Seed and SeedD.
Old 2008-08-14, 14:40   Link #2683
neutralizer
Hinagiku-ist

Send a message via AIM to neutralizer
The following will be my predictions broken up by groups. I'll provide match predictions when the matches actually start. In the last year, I've seen a lot more anime so I actually know most of the characters this time around which should make for more accurate predictions. The format will follow Group #: <who I think will win>, <who I want to win>

Group A1: Fate, Fate
The MSLN series has probably one of the largest fan bases and that fanbase can easily push Fate to win Group A, especially without the appearance of Rozen Maiden. The only tough challengers will be last year's Saimoe winner, Rika. Not to downplay her win or anything, but I feel that Fate was voted against to remove out of the running and if Fate were to go against Rika, Fate would come out on top.

Group A2: C.C., C.C.
C.C. has always proven to be a strong opponent in the moe contests, but she seems to always fall short when compared to the heavyweights. With the lack of apparent heavyweights, it seems likely that C.C. will take Group B. She will likely have difficulty against Hanyuu, but seeing how Code Geass is currently airing and Higurashi is not, that will likely play a factor in C.C. winning this group. Oh wait, I almost forgot about San. I'm not a big Seto no Hanayome fan *cough* Luna *cough*, but I will acknowledge that C.C. may very well also have a tough time against San, but it's also been so long since Seto no Hanayome aired.

Group B1: no clue, Shirley
Honestly, I have no idea about this group. None of the girls in this one have a ridiculous following behind them. I'd like to see Shirley win only because of a particular scene in Code Geass R2 that was particularly touching. She deserves to win something :P On the other hand, I have a feeling that Luna might win as she was actually able to take out Hinagiku (winner of Best Moe 2007) in Round 2, which does signify that she has some strength.

Group B2: no clue, Aika
Going through this, I have again no idea who will win it. And why the heck is Haruhi's name in there... I want to say that people will not vote for Haruhi because it's really Haruhi under Lucky Star in that short commercial, but if you take Haruhi as a character without Lucky Star, she'll get lots of votes. Other strong contesters are likely to be Vivio (MSLN fan base) and Hiro. I would like to see Aika win seeing how last Saimoe I didn't see Aria yet and wasn't able to recognize how moe all the characters from Aria were.

More predictions to come after lunch break
Old 2008-08-14, 14:53   Link #2684
qtipbrit
Buddhajew

Quote:
Comparing ISML and Korea might have worked because both have strong Code Geass, Key, and Shana support (though Hidamari Sketch, Aria, and ToHeart support is almost nonexistant in ISML), but comparing it to Saimoe doesn't work at all.
KK does start out with two easy matches, so she could easily make it to Round Three against Hayate/Yutaka/Miku.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Xellos-_^ View Post
gundam don't do well in saimoe, just look at past results with the Seed and SeedD.
Well, Gundam Seed characters weren't exactly the epitome of "moe"...

Popularity gets you pretty far, though. See Code Geass last year (and for more, see this year's Korean Best).
Old 2008-08-14, 14:54   Link #2685
cicido
I'm so moe I kill myself
*Artist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xellos-_^ View Post
The difference is that MF actually tries to be moe, instead of pure fan-boy power.
Old 2008-08-14, 15:00   Link #2686
neutralizer
Hinagiku-ist

Quote:
Originally Posted by cicido View Post
The difference is that MF actually tries to be moe, instead of pure fan-boy power.
Quite true. Gundam SEED and SEED Destiny characters aren't nearly as moe as the Macross Frontier characters. I can see Sheryl, Klan Klan, and Ranka doing fairly well.
Old 2008-08-14, 15:02   Link #2687
qtipbrit
Buddhajew

I think Gundam Seed actually has more fangirls than fanboys...
Old 2008-08-14, 15:04   Link #2688
minhtam1638
Missing In Action

Send a message via AIM to minhtam1638
Quote:
Who said I used ISML rankings? I used this. Statistics are based SOLELY on J Saimoe Preliminaries.

Old 2008-08-14, 15:06   Link #2689
cicido
I'm so moe I kill myself
*Artist

Quote:
Originally Posted by qtipbrit92 View Post
I think Gundam Seed actually has more fangirls than fanboys...
Fan-girls go vote in KMoe
Old 2008-08-14, 15:40   Link #2690
DragoonKain3
Osana-Najimi Shipper

Well, glad to see I'm not the only one wary of Hatsune Miku. Granted, it might just be my imagination, but it's exactly her 'unknown' power that might pull an upset here and there. Goodness knows she's popular because she was particularly made as moe; the only question remains is if she has enough support in 2ch.

Yes its YOU childhood friend - source of BERZERKER RAGE since forever
Childhood Friend couple STATISTICS(spoilers abound though)
Old 2008-08-14, 15:57   Link #2691
steelbound
Yuki-ism

Yesterday while looking over the brackets I had a sudden inspiration. Why not make a bracket that people fill out like the March Madness brackets. So I made one up in photoshop and added text boxes in adobe acrobat. It turned out to be huge (1200x2580) but I finished it up just now. Below is a thumbnail of my filled out bracket.

Unless I'm mistaken I can't upload the pdf here so if anyone else would like fill out a bracket, go to my blog and you can find it here.
Old 2008-08-14, 16:00   Link #2692
Xellos-_^
Not Enough Sleep

Quote:
Originally Posted by steelbound View Post
Yesterday while looking over the brackets I had a sudden inspiration. Why not make a bracket that people fill out like the March Madness brackets. So I made one up in photoshop and added text boxes in adobe acrobat. It turned out to be huge (1200x2580) but I finished it up just now. Below is a thumbnail of my filled out bracket.

Unless I'm mistaken I can't upload the pdf here so if anyone else would like fill out a bracket, go to my blog and you can find it here.
sounds fun but looking at your bracket you have to be drunk to think mino can take out Fate.
Old 2008-08-14, 16:30   Link #2693
Zeroryoko1974

Send a message via AIM to Zeroryoko1974 Send a message via Yahoo to Zeroryoko1974
Its an upset special baby!! mino is a real player, a ptp'r
Old 2008-08-14, 16:34   Link #2694
cicido
I'm so moe I kill myself
*Artist

Quote:
Its an upset special baby!! mino is a real player, a ptp'r
I would imagine even Kotonoha doing better than Mion let alone Fate. > 3 >
Old 2008-08-14, 16:37   Link #2695
Seishi
Kholdy's Slave

Send a message via AIM to Seishi Send a message via MSN to Seishi Send a message via Yahoo to Seishi
Okay, I'm going to vote for Marisa. There must be something I can do for her even if she never will make it into this tournament.
Old 2008-08-14, 16:39   Link #2696
qtipbrit
Buddhajew

Oh, Mion.
And yes, fangirls back to Korea, plz.

So. Much. Key.
I also doubt Nia can take out Chiaki, much less Shana.
And I admit, Nanoha vs. Ranka might be tough for Nantoka, but I have faith in her.
Shana would probably lose to Nanoha anyway...
Old 2008-08-14, 16:41   Link #2697
imbehindyou
turn around...

Spoiler for Predictions:

yuuki kanade @ fortune arterial
Old 2008-08-14, 17:03   Link #2698
Rika-chama
Furude Shrine Miko
*Fansubber

Quote:
Originally Posted by steelbound View Post

I'll put that blank one on the Synchroom whenever Psieye and I figure out the direction we're going w/ the Synchroom for the main contest. >_<

Nope. Not a thing.
Old 2008-08-14, 17:04   Link #2699
neutralizer
Hinagiku-ist

More predictions!

The format will follow Group #: <who I think will win>, <who I want to win>

Group C1: Kagami, Kagami
I would consider Kagami one of the heavyweights in a moe contest and so in a group with much weaker opponents other than Vita, it's likely Kagami can easily take the group. I wouldn't expect much opposition except from Vita and maybe Amu. On a personal note, there are lot of characters in this group such as Amu, Manami, and Sakuya that I'd love to support but Kagami support is ranked above them.

Group C2: Kyou, Alicia or Yuno
Wow... this group has so many characters that I love like Kyou, Yuno, Alicia, and Akira, but ultimately Kyou will mostly likely dominate. This opinion comes from how popular Kyou was in Clannad. However, the one challenger in Kyou's way is likely going to Louise. Louise's performance in the last Saimoe was nothing short of phenomenal as she was predicted to lose so many times against Rozen Maiden and yet prevailed.

Group D1: Tomoyo, Tomoyo
I think that's the problem with watching so many airing series through the year. You find so many of them to be moe and you realize that you can't support them all. In the end, I think Tomoyo will edge out characters like Kotomi and Konata. They all wildly popular compared to the rest of the competition and you can't even apply KyoAni hate to them because they're all from KyoAni animes.

Group D2: Rena, Maria
Rena made it in the semifinals last year and so I don't think her strength has waned that much at all for her to lose to the competition in this group. The HnG fan base is still fairly strong and Maria has in the past done very well so I expect her to be some good competition against Rena. Being a bigger HnG fan than Higurashi fan, I'd rather see Maria win.
Old 2008-08-14, 17:07   Link #2700
Demi.
Ass connoisseur

Quote:
Originally Posted by minhtam2448 View Post
Hey, I said "much less so". Emphasis on much. I do agree that Hayate will give Miku way too much pressure, as well as Yutaka (moebleed), but I honestly think that there will be a huge Miku showing, that because she is "different" than the rest. That being said, I highly doubt that Nagisa will make top 8, despite having an easy road in the top 16.

EDIT: My Saimoe Statistics highly say otherwise. Top 20 and what group they're in.

Group A - #8 Fuko Ibuki, #15 Hanyuu Furude, #18 Fate T. Harlaown

Group B - #10 Kirino Chiba, #20 Mikan Yuuki

Group C - #1 Kyou Fujibayashi, #5 Kagami Hiiragi, #7 Yuno, #14 Louise Francoise

Group D - #4 Maria, #12 Rena Ryuguu, #19 Konata Izumi,

Group E - #2 Horo, #11 Tamaki Kawazoe,

Group F - #9 Nagisa Furukawa, #17 Yutaka Kobayakawa

Group G - #3 Nagi Sanzen'in, #6 Tsukasa Hiiragi,

Group H - #13 Hinagiku Katsura, #16 Isumi Saginomiya
Prelim results only mean so much. They're basically showing the group of characters you 'need to watch out for', but they never really guarantee who has the advantage. Smart factions will downplay characters in prelims so they're not targeted early on, anyways.

And lol at this.

Tags
j-moe, j-saimoe, saimoe