Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > General > Video Games

Notices

Old 2006-05-03, 23:58   Link #81
mantidor
the Iniquitous

Send a message via Yahoo to mantidor
Quote:
Originally Posted by NoSanninWa
It is interesting that http://wii.nintendo.com/ doesn't exist. That is another clue that the name "Wii" is just a joke or stunt that Nintendo is playing. Come E3 there'll be a new name for this system.
It seems it exists now.

I really think that the north american branch of Nintendo was caught off guard by the silly name and they are trying to update just now, their official site stills says revolution but not wii. It is like some drunk japanese was in charge of making a name using "i" to copy Mac and thought that the "wii"-"we" reference was awesome or something.
mantidor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-05-04, 01:48   Link #82
neoko

Lol, what a name -- i like it!

GC FB!
neoko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-05-04, 04:32   Link #83
dan88

Send a message via MSN to dan88
I guess the "Wee" name is a wake up call to everyone to stop playing stupid games on stupidly named consoles......
Old 2006-05-04, 04:40   Link #84
7thKeeper

I thought it was a joke when I first heard it. It is original and unique atleast, though I liked Revolution better, even if it was just the project name. I think the image below though says what I and a lot of other people are thinking.

7thKeeper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-05-04, 08:01   Link #85
Onizuka-GTO
Holy Beast ~Wuff!~
*Scanlator

Send a message via MSN to Onizuka-GTO
Give us a Wii, You need a Wii, I need a Wii! Everyone Wii together!

Old 2006-05-04, 09:18   Link #86
Zeni

I thought the name "wii" was pretty cute, and it really isn't that funny or stupid, just the people who think it is. :P
Zeni is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-05-04, 15:40   Link #87
OutPhase
Lord Chairman God King

Send a message via AIM to OutPhase
I hate the new name. Thanks to that, I don't want any of the new console systems anymore. I'll be damned before I bring home something that begs for pee jokes.
OutPhase is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-05-05, 12:38   Link #88
Dural
Me > You

Quote:
Originally Posted by dan88
I guess the "Wee" name is a wake up call to everyone to stop playing stupid games on stupidly named consoles......

your retarded.

I always thought the name was more for "wheee" as something fun. I liked it for the bad puns it would, bring but even that got old. The name isn't great but it's not THAT bad either.

Still hasn't changed the fact that this will be the only console I pick up on launch(other than Dreamcast). Can't wait to play this!
Dural is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-05-05, 16:01   Link #89
dan88

Send a message via MSN to dan88
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dural
your retarded.

I always thought the name was more for "wheee" as something fun.!
(...You're retarded)
I presume that "wheee" is Wii when said with a weird and amusing American accent.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dural
Still hasn't changed the fact that this will be the only console I pick up on launch(other than Dreamcast).
Is this because the Wii launch price is expected to be a lot cheaper than the PS3 or XBox 360?
Old 2006-05-05, 20:10   Link #90
SkyDragon
Addicted To Anime

I wonder if this will be as expensive as the xbox360
SkyDragon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-05-05, 20:32   Link #91
Urzu 7
Juanita/Kiteless

Okay, some people have some misconceptions, so I'll clear a few things up...

About the name. I know it's not the greatest, but at least there is reasoning behind the name.

Nintendo is aiming to make this console accessible to nearly anyone. They want it to not just appeal to serious gamers, but people who never really got into videogames before. Something for a college student or even your father who never seriously played a game besides Tetris. It'll offer games for the more serious gamer (things like Call of Duty 3, Metroid Prime 3, and Super Smash Bros.), but also games with simple play mechanics that is accessible to many (like a Wii Warioware or Nintendogs). Also, they intend to make the wifi wireless gaming community a big part of the system. They want the wifi service to be something where gamers all around the globe can interact and play together (which is what is to be expected of such a service, such as Live, and that is good). So there is a theme of "togetherness". So Wii is likened to "we". Gamers getting together to play.

Also, the name Wii, it's look, reflects the theme and subtly portrays the new controller. The two i's put together can represent two people together, and the i's resemble the new, innovative controller.

I'm not making this stuff up, that's how Nintendo explained things in their choice for the console. So at least you know the reasoning for the name. It wasn't like some drunk Japanese guy thought it was a funny name or someone from Nintendo saw Miyamoto go down a slide and go "wheee" and it inspired them to name the console Wii.

Also, about the price, expect the system to be significantly cheaper than PS3 and XBox360. The price will be unveiled at E3, but my guess is it won't be any higher than $250.
Urzu 7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-05-05, 20:35   Link #92
Urzu 7
Juanita/Kiteless

Quote:

You know, Playstation is a rather dumb name. It's cool now, but it built a reputation. XBox is a sucky name. XBox360 is a bad name. Wii probably takes the cake, but there are a lot of bad console names out there. Sega had the coolest names. Genesis, Nomad, Saturn, and Dreamcast, they had cool names.
Old 2006-05-05, 20:54   Link #93
Newtyped
Gangsta Member

Send a message via ICQ to Newtyped Send a message via AIM to Newtyped Send a message via Yahoo to Newtyped
Quote:
Originally Posted by Urzu 7
You know, Playstation is a rather dumb name. It's cool now, but it built a reputation. XBox is a sucky name. XBox360 is a bad name. Wii probably takes the cake, but there are a lot of bad console names out there. Sega had the coolest names. Genesis, Nomad, Saturn, and Dreamcast, they had cool names.
dreamcast sounds gay
saturn is a planet
nomads should be portable (if its not idk)
genesis....
thats ok
Newtyped is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-05-05, 22:11   Link #94
brightman
Ancient Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Newtyped
dreamcast sounds gay
saturn is a planet
nomads should be portable (if its not idk)
genesis....
thats ok
Though Genesis was the "Mega Drive" outside of North America and it was proceeded by the "Master System"... Cool names? No.
Old 2006-05-05, 22:13   Link #95
Newtyped
Gangsta Member

Send a message via ICQ to Newtyped Send a message via AIM to Newtyped Send a message via Yahoo to Newtyped
Quote:
Originally Posted by brightman
Though Genesis was the "Mega Drive" outside of North America and it was proceeded by the "Master System"... Cool names? No.
lol those are retro respectable
Newtyped is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-05-05, 22:54   Link #96
Shiryuu
Magical Boy

I originally thought they misspelled it and was just missing a couple letters. Like wifi without the f for example.
Shiryuu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-05-05, 23:14   Link #97
Akuryou
*cackle* *cackle*

Send a message via MSN to Akuryou
Within two months everyone will be saying "Wii" like they say "Playstation" around everywhere. It's just a matter of time.
Akuryou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-05-05, 23:45   Link #98
Urzu 7
Juanita/Kiteless

Quote:
Originally Posted by Akuryou
Within two months everyone will be saying "Wii" like they say "Playstation" around everywhere. It's just a matter of time.
Right on. I'm already getting quite used to the name. And it doesn't really matter, it's the games that count. Then, on top of it, there is the wifi service and virtual console.

Plus, they expect some big games to be announced at E3. From Nintendo, Metroid Prime 3, a new Mario, a new racing game, and an all new franchise, as well as a new Smash Bros. Also, it's likely a Kojima Production's game will be announced, and Square should be showing off Final Fantasy Crystal Chronicles for Wii. Also, a new Super Monkey Ball will be shown, a Wii exclusive Sonic game, and an exclusive Tony Hawk game.

Nintendo is really showing signs of being real serious with this upcoming gen. They plan to own E3 this year. They will have the biggest floor space than any other company at the show, and their press conference won't be done in one of the halls like all other press conferences are done -- they rented out the Kodak theater for their E3 press conference, the same place the Academy Awards are held.

Also, another tidbit, Call Of Duty 3 is coming to the Wii.
Old 2006-05-06, 02:17   Link #99
Dural
Me > You

Quote:
(...You're retarded)
I presume that "wheee" is Wii when said with a weird and amusing American accent.

Is this because the Wii launch price is expected to be a lot cheaper than the PS3 or XBox 360?

@ the first answer. "whee" as fun.

@ the second respose: No. It's because it brings something new to the table. Only an idiot spends their $ on a first gen system that doesn't have the Sega or Nintendo name on it. The price isn't an issue. I'm not picking up a PS3 'till VF5 and MGS4 drop, so the launch price doesn't mean anything since these games won't be on the system during the first year it's out.
Dural is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-05-06, 14:20   Link #100
shikamarufoo

Wii>Revolution

...lol jk
They need to change it back to Revolution or change it to something else. Whatever works for them though as long as I get to play Smash on my Wii~
shikamarufoo is offline   Reply With Quote