AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Retired > Retired M-Z > Nanoha/Vivid Franchise

Notices

Old 2008-06-07, 13:42   Link #1001
ghazghkull
The Dang-meister

Send a message via MSN to ghazghkull Send a message via Yahoo to ghazghkull
Quote:
Originally Posted by Liingo View Post
Although some of the other’s in the thread can do the same as well. As noted, I’m not that free now a days to keep up with the thread on a daily basis. Still thanks the vote of confidence. I’ll try to get the rubber stamp out as often as possible
*presents a pad of ink*

Well whenever you can XD

I say you and Keroko because the two of you are the most level-headed here from what I've seen.

And yes, I do admit, I can be a thick-headed idiot as I've most likely I've presented myself to be in the last little while -_-

*Edit*

sweet! page claim!
ghazghkull is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-06-07, 13:53   Link #1002
dkellis
illusion control
*Author

Send a message via ICQ to dkellis Send a message via AIM to dkellis Send a message via MSN to dkellis
While you're here, ghazghkull, would you mind updating my OC list to this post?
dkellis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-06-07, 14:00   Link #1003
ghazghkull
The Dang-meister

Send a message via MSN to ghazghkull Send a message via Yahoo to ghazghkull
Quote:
Originally Posted by dkellis View Post
While you're here, ghazghkull, would you mind updating my OC list to this post?
It has been done
ghazghkull is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-06-07, 14:11   Link #1004
Raging Heart
Lightning Devil

Send a message via MSN to Raging Heart
@ Wild Goose: yep i did read few fictions like that, and don't ask i did fell off my chair and my bed too once i read them.

XenahortCharybdis i do stuck as i planned plus have some ideas (evil laugh ) this will be so much fun anyway, what kind of story will turn out, no one know. ^_^
Old 2008-06-07, 15:12   Link #1005
Keroko
Adeptus Animus
*Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tk3997 View Post
He’d use it probably only if he a reason to IE to try and get even over something or to counter teasing directed at him, but yeah teasing in general isn’t really his thing straight out smack talk is more down his alley; at least if he can get away with it.
Thought so.

Quote:
A lesser version is entirely possible and I can also easily see him say getting fed up and dragging her out back to totally wail on her in the interest of "training" and her thinking it was like the most fun thing ever or something for instance. Basically though she’d probably remind him entirely too much of a female version of Alan eliciting something to the effect of an “Oh god another one!” reaction…
This really should be written down.

Quote:
True, but I was thinking more like getting along as friends not like getting along as in vaugely acknowledging each other existence and then going about there own business.
Ah, no that's not what I was thinking. I generally think of that as friends, butI don't need to be friends with someone to get along with them. But then, I'm a very tolerant person who can get long with even the greatest of idiots in my class.

Quote:
The less shooting involved for him to get his paycheck the better in his opinion, and he’s worked allot of jobs that didn’t involve it at all. He was a reasonably active private investigator for the better part of a decade before StrikerS after all and he also worked more general security jobs and did some consulting and such. He’s experienced enough to know that shooting first and asking questions later is often the worse way to solve a problem and act accordingly… usually. This can break down somewhat if he has a grudge of personal stake in the matter at hand though.

In some ways his approach to his work is sort of based a bit on a sort of a theme from Appleseed manga (or at least how I took it). Namely that you can get swept up and so involved in something almost by accident that even if you later want to leave you can't because you've got no where else to go in that case and this one that world is the military/mercenary world. Basically he often rather dislikes many aspects of his job, but its basiclly the only thing he’s good enough at to make a living off of. Acutally he’s really good at it and yet he still often hates it...
Duly noted. It was just a random scenario in my head of Tesla visiting a charred scene she needs to investigate and her being slightly ticked at the people responsible for making her job so much harder. It is more or less part of the 'Ace Attorney Tesla' scenario which is running through my mind.

Quote:
It's more an army thing in general really... Acutally it almost works better after all the US army is one of the most competent on the planet and it STILL has idiots like this running around. Just think what it's like in the former USSR or Africa...
Whenever someone tries to link the casual TSAB to the 'sir, yes sir!' American army the bridge that's supposed to connect these two in my head crumbles so fast I wonder if it was ever there. Comparing what we've seen, the two are so vastly different that every time someone brings up how unit X in the American army works like Z and never gets Y I go '...so? What does that have to do with the TSAB?'

Well... suffice to say comparing the two just doesn't work for me.
Keroko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-06-07, 15:28   Link #1006
AdmiralTigerclaw
Sword Wielding Penguin

Send a message via AIM to AdmiralTigerclaw
Random cracked up character moment.

I was goofing around (Which is normal for me...) when I thought of a Lina inverse character.

NAAAAAAH...

But what about a character obsessed WITH Lina Inverse???

Said little girl was introduced to the Slayers franchise through imports that have been coming to Mid-childa. She becomes so attatched to the Lina Inverse character that she starts training herself to Emulate her magic.

The scary part is that she does succede (somewhat) and can hurl moderately nasty fireballs on a whim... but somehow manages never to get into trouble. (Well, she DOES get into trouble... with street scum... but mostly she gets out of trouble by blowing it up. Much to the consternation of investigative forces who find the thugs torched some time later.)

This girl has a dream, to meet Megumi Hayashibara herself, and would nearly KILL for a way to go to Earth. (Exnay on trips to Earth for offworderays...)
Through her obsession fueled investigating, she discovers Nanoha and company come FROM Earth, and often have vacations there. So she starts trying to Shadow them... (Not easy...) ...trying to get on their good side so she can go to Earth. (Yeeeeah... not gonna' happen.)

Essentially, the girl makes herself a pest, even showing up in live combat and hurling fireballs at people before getting chewed out at range and running away.

But the girl seems to have no semblence of reality. Her obsession even fuels the power of her magic. The more she believes what she can do... the better her chances at pulling it off. Making her fireballs more powerful the more determined (obsessed) she becomes. (She ain't pulling off no Draguslaves, Laguna Blades, or Giga Slaves though... Or if she does, it'll be more in NAME than actual power.)

The girl has all the combat sense of an Acme Brick truck... Making her more dangerous to everyone BUT the enemy she may have challenged. (Of course... comic luck will have the guy get roasted by a fireball anyway.)

I could see a scene like.

VITA: YOU IDIOT! You got in the way and he got away!

LIF: I had him! He was mine!

VITA: You're not even Administration Staff! You can't be here!

LIF: I was trying to help you! Show some appreciation!

VITA: I'm not going to show any appreciation to some cut rate mage with no training who thinks she can just do whatever she wants! I should arrest you right here!

LIF: *Blinks back tears* What did you call ME?!

VITA: YOU HEARD ME!

"-FIREBAAAAALLL!!!-"
"BOOM!!!"

*The L.I.F. runs away sobbing... Vita's been blown through a wall and looks slightly charred and knocked senseless... Everyone else arrives a minute later to think the villain of the day did that to Vita.**

Be good for a sidestory or as some comic relief somewhere.
AdmiralTigerclaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-06-07, 15:40   Link #1007
Comartemis
He Who Smites Shippers

*Coma strokes the stubble which is currently passing for a beard*

Hmm.... I've got a Xellos-esque manipulator OC hanging around in the background in Comacanon..... haven't found much use for him yet, but he's definitely there.....

....and a Self Insert of yours truly would probably come across as a bad-tempered Gourry.....

Kill the Darkfic.
Burn the Angst.
Purge the Bad End.
Comartemis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-06-07, 15:42   Link #1008
Keroko
Adeptus Animus
*Author

Crack-character made for the sheer purpose of comic relief. I say go.
Old 2008-06-07, 16:11   Link #1009
Comartemis
He Who Smites Shippers

Hmm.... speaking of characters, I've just had myself an idea for Hayate's deshafting.

Recall the Patton-esque OC I mentioned a page or so back. This guy gets recruited by Lindy through a favor to become Hayate's mentor, in order to turn her into the best goddamn potential admiral she could possibly be. Mr Patton has a bad attitude about this and doesn't like being saddled with a kid sidekick, but he does owe the Harlaown family a few favors and Hayate grows on him pretty quickly.

One of the things which mark this captain as being different from the others is his tendency to take to the field with his troops whenever they go planetside, and he passes the logic behind this on to Hayate, who will eventually get her own ship and leave Rein II at the bridge when she does this.

The fun part comes about from the fact that Alex is her ship's Enforcer and usually leads the assault forces. So there comes a time sometime during the series when Alex and his boys and girls walk into a trap set by enemy forces. The redshirts begin to drop like flies as enemy forces close in from all sides... then Hayate teleports in, and suddenly we're treated to a Back to Back Badasses moment with her and Alex. Then their joint theme music kicks in and they start ripping through enemy troops like a weed eater gone haywire.

Hmmmm..... yes, I think I can deshaft Hayate while still keeping her in a relatively leadership-oriented position.

Kill the Darkfic.
Burn the Angst.
Purge the Bad End.
Old 2008-06-07, 17:33   Link #1010
Tk3997
Loveable Jerk

Send a message via ICQ to Tk3997 Send a message via AIM to Tk3997 Send a message via MSN to Tk3997
Quote:
Originally Posted by Keroko View Post
T
This really should be written down.
Yeah it dose… Acutally I’ve left the background to my own fic vague enough that this could acutally work as part of it’s back story cept it’s supposed to happen in the same verse as Generations and later Guardians which as I recall are using something fairly close to canon in terms of StrikerS. (Would also clash a bit in that Vita and Felix in the fic know of each other, but not that well) So it’d probably need to be AU of my current verse though a fairly minor one and allot of the stuff from the current fic could still happen afterwards with some slight reworking. Or it could go a totally different direction as it went on…

It could be fun though might make a decent group project too. People could grab different bits and try to pull all the random stuff going on around StrikerS into something coherent. Would probably be best as a group thing anyway since trying to rewrite an entire TV series alone is a pretty daunting thing…

I might start writing crack about it just for a change of pace though we'll see.

Quote:
Ah, no that's not what I was thinking. I generally think of that as friends, butI don't need to be friends with someone to get along with them. But then, I'm a very tolerant person who can get long with even the greatest of idiots in my class.
Well yeah I suppose they probably could get along though I'd thing Felix lack of tact might grate on her a bit. *shrugs*

Quote:
Duly noted. It was just a random scenario in my head of Tesla visiting a charred scene she needs to investigate and her being slightly ticked at the people responsible for making her job so much harder. It is more or less part of the 'Ace Attorney Tesla' scenario which is running through my mind.
That happens all the time acutally cept it's usually the firefighters and paramedics that are to blame they aren't really thinking a ton about catching the guy that set the fire or stabbed someone so much as trying the save the victims... High pressure hoses and guys running around and moving victims and such have a nasty habit of washing away and contaminating a crime scene respectively.

Quote:
Whenever someone tries to link the casual TSAB to the 'sir, yes sir!' American army the bridge that's supposed to connect these two in my head crumbles so fast I wonder if it was ever there. Comparing what we've seen, the two are so vastly different that every time someone brings up how unit X in the American army works like Z and never gets Y I go '...so? What does that have to do with the TSAB?'

Well... suffice to say comparing the two just doesn't work for me.
The links are there if you care to look and use you’re imagination a bit, but that’s all I’ll say on that well that and read this...
http://www.strategypage.com/humor/ar...s_20047130.asp
Or this:
http://skippyslist.com/list/
Or watch this:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DqaWdkdFb3Y
Or maybe this:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xxQPbLIsmh4
Or the grand champion...
http://velox-mortis.deviantart.com/art/Swear-37921972

The Military isn't always quite as strict and straitlaced as it might try to appear...

Tk3997 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-06-07, 17:43   Link #1011
Comartemis
He Who Smites Shippers

*Dryly*

Apparently so. Now if you'll excuse me, I think I busted something halfway through Skippy's List.

*Limps away with a few busted ribs inflicted by hysterical laughter*

Kill the Darkfic.
Burn the Angst.
Purge the Bad End.
Old 2008-06-07, 18:05   Link #1012
Keroko
Adeptus Animus
*Author

Quote:
Yeah it dose… Acutally I’ve left the background to my own fic vague enough that this could acutally work as part of it’s back story cept it’s supposed to happen in the same verse as Generations and later Guardians which as I recall are using something fairly close to canon in terms of StrikerS. (Would also clash a bit in that Vita and Felix in the fic know of each other, but not that well) So it’d probably need to be AU of my current verse though a fairly minor one and allot of the stuff from the current fic could still happen afterwards with some slight reworking. Or it could go a totally different direction as it went on…

It could be fun though might make a decent group project too. People could grab different bits and try to pull all the random stuff going on around StrikerS into something coherent. Would probably be best as a group thing anyway since trying to rewrite an entire TV series alone is a pretty daunting thing…

I might start writing crack about it just for a change of pace though we'll see.
I'm sure that people here won't mind a group project, but you're right, we'll see. need to get started with that NanoVita fic first.

Quote:
Well yeah I suppose they probably could get along though I'd thing Felix lack of tact might grate on her a bit. *shrugs*
I'm sure it will. Luckilly, Tesla is tollerant.

Quote:
That happens all the time acutally cept it's usually the firefighters and paramedics that are to blame they aren't really thinking a ton about catching the guy that set the fire or stabbed someone so much as trying the save the victims... High pressure hoses and guys running around and moving victims and such have a nasty habit of washing away and contaminating a crime scene respectively.
True. But that's a bit too much realism for a fic meant to be fun. Besides, poking at the whole 'must you make my job harder' scene is a lot more fun to write.

Quote:
The links are there if you care to look and use you’re imagination a bit, but that’s all I’ll say on that well that and read this...
http://skippyslist.com/list/
Hehehe, '25. Never confuse a Dutch soldier for a French one.' Noooo, you don't want to do that. If there's one thing we hate, its being confused for French. Learn to talk first and don't take the red-white-blue for granted, you nitwit! Blasted French, stealing our colors...

This list is brilliant.

Quote:
The Military isn't always quite as strict and straitlaced as it might try to appear...
Hmm, you're right. But you have to admit that comparing the two is generally not an accurate one, if it were, 90% of all the 'TSAB sucks' debates wouldn't be there now would they?
Old 2008-06-07, 20:41   Link #1013
Kha
~ I Do ~
*Author

Quote:
To be honest, I'm not sure how much the loss of the Infinite Library would affect the TSAB, who seem to check out information from there only as a last resort.

I've got a few more thoughts on this, after the post-replies.
My theories say if you destroy whatever's holding the infinite dimensions within the Library stable, the spatial unfolding will rip the entire superstructure and everything around it apart as it expands at the speed of light. Considering that the TSAB Main HQ is built next to or even around the Library, wouldn't making a bomb out of this old monument totally worth it? It even fits Skane's speech about merciful decapitation!

However, the problem is the TSAB Main HQ, and the Library, is under heavy lock, key and sentry, blowing it up is gonna take lots of effort. If it wasn't so evil, I'd say the heist would be almost as fun as the Italian Job.

Quote:
Something which had been percolating in my mind for a while is the question of why the Infinite Library seems so under-utilized in canon. Now, the first possible objection would be that it isn't under-utilized, but the anime focuses on personal interactions and flashy battles, so we don't see the background scenes where everyone consults the Library. Entirely possible, and probably even likely.

Other than that, one reason might be that the TSAB doesn't realize how useful a resource it has. Which would turn into a TSAB bashing fest again, so we'll treat it as a done discussion.

The other possible reason I am looking into is that the TSAB knows how amazing the Library is, but they are consciously not making use of it at every turn, entirely because they do not want to be too dependent on the information from it. If a society has been conditioned that a certain resource is the fount of all knowledge, then it is plausible that in that society, innovation is dead. After all, why come up with something new, when there's an existing design for an analogue that probably works just as well?

Note that this is not a certainty, but merely a possibility. The belief in that possibility, coupled with some persuasive arguments, could have resulted in the TSAB overcompensating the other way. It's a slippery slope argument, but the potential risks may have been enough.
Interesting thoughts indeed. Noted, seeing what the Khrack says.

Quote:
I don't care if people don't like me, as long as my OCs and stories get critiqued and discussed independently of personal feelings.
It used to be easier to stay away from hair-trigger, but recently, I've been blowing my top over the kind of silliness we're getting.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wild Goose View Post
@Kha: Remember that the higher ground makes you a better target. And don't be so quick to dismiss me, brother. I am you. You are I. We are the same. I am the soldier. You are the prisoner. Who is the soldier? Who is the prisoner? You are I. The prisoner Am I. The soldier are you. We are one. Who is the Soldier? Who is the Prisoner? Who is Kha? Who is Goose? nn jmhbvcbxnk,kc vrx m,xgSDGFtn dBhSHBnjmmjgxzst
*watches Goose's circuits fry*

I tried to warn him.
Old 2008-06-07, 21:43   Link #1014
Comartemis
He Who Smites Shippers

Here's a quick thought that's been bothering me for a while:

There's all this talk about the balance of power and not putting too many powerful mages in one place...

...but what's this then?

Spoiler for IS: Silver Retriever:

Leti simply lets them continue working together, not just living as Hayate indicates, but acting to support each other in similar roles. And she doesn't make any indication that this is a big deal or that she had to go through a lot of trouble for this to work.

What's the deal? How are Hayate and the Wolkenritter sticking together like this if the bureau is so opposed to concentration of power? I'm not disputing that they are, it just seems odd to me that they would make an exception like this, particularly under these circumstances and for these particular mages.

Kill the Darkfic.
Burn the Angst.
Purge the Bad End.
Old 2008-06-07, 21:48   Link #1015
LoweGear
Secret Society BLANKET
*Graphic Designer

After this being brought to my attention, really felt the need to respond...

Quote:
No ANYONE that's watched the show would find it hard to sallow. The military aspects are PART OF THE UNIVERSE what do you think people would say if you tried to write a novel about World War II "without the military aspects". When you reach the point where you start denying the very core concepts of a work you should consider if maybe you shouldn’t find a better universe to write in or go original. If he likes the classic "random girl gains super powers: she fights evil!" plot so much he should go find a series like that where no one would bat an eye at some of this stuff, but instead he’s decided to try and chop up Nanoha with a chainsaw which is basiclly automatically going to gain him flak from people that like the series as it is.

Isn't that what Nanoha started out as though? A normal girl who gains powers through circumstances more or less beyond her control and fights evil?

While the militarism of Nanoha is one of the aspects that make it unique, and much more appealing to us than your standard magical girl show (heck, if Nanoha didn't have these elements I wouldn't have bothered to continue watching), there is a reason why the series is called "Magical Girl Lyrical Nanoha". This is not "JAG" or "The Unit". The core of the Nanohaverse is magic and females kicking ass; heck, the militaristic aspects of the TSAB wasn't covered much in Nanoha, it's foundation laid in A's, and only in StrikerS did it come to the forefront as a primary base element for the story, and even then it was only background for the main action - heck, if it wasn't for the Asura the first season would've been much like any other magical girl.

I think the militarization of the TSAB here in the Nanoha forums has long blinded us to the fact that, as much as we'd like to deny it, and as much as we think it's cool to think otherwise, Nanoha is first and foremost a MAGICAL GIRL show. Sure, the series has done it's best to modify, or circumvent the standard mahou shoujo cliches, but at its heart MGLN is about the power of friendship and how it triumphs over all. That is the Core of the Nanohaverse, not the militarism.

Against all the evil that hell can conjure, all wickedness that mankind can produce... We will send unto them, only you.
LoweGear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-06-07, 21:54   Link #1016
PhoenixFlare
The Resurrector
*Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kha View Post
My theories say if you destroy whatever's holding the infinite dimensions within the Library stable, the spatial unfolding will rip the entire superstructure and everything around it apart as it expands at the speed of light. Considering that the TSAB Main HQ is built next to or even around the Library, wouldn't making a bomb out of this old monument totally worth it? It even fits Skane's speech about merciful decapitation!
Wait, was the HQ mentioned to be built in such a way? I don't recall a reference saying so, if there's one, please refresh my mind.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kha View Post
However, the problem is the TSAB Main HQ, and the Library, is under heavy lock, key and sentry, blowing it up is gonna take lots of effort. If it wasn't so evil, I'd say the heist would be almost as fun as the Italian Job.
I do think the Main HQ is such, but the Library seems pretty much accessible without much trouble. Given the infinite dimensions it is supposedly linked to, anyone from anywhere could get into it, and I don't think all dimensions apply the same standard procedure. But then, the Library seems to be annexed by the Bureau, mainly ...
PhoenixFlare is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-06-07, 22:01   Link #1017
stormturmoil
Field Medic

Send a message via AIM to stormturmoil Send a message via MSN to stormturmoil
Quote:
Originally Posted by Comartemis View Post
Here's a quick thought that's been bothering me for a while:

There's all this talk about the balance of power and not putting too many powerful mages in one place...

...but what's this then?

Spoiler for IS: Silver Retriever:

Leti simply lets them continue working together, not just living as Hayate indicates, but acting to support each other in similar roles. And she doesn't make any indication that this is a big deal or that she had to go through a lot of trouble for this to work.

What's the deal? How are Hayate and the Wolkenritter sticking together like this if the bureau is so opposed to concentration of power? I'm not disputing that they are, it just seems odd to me that they would make an exception like this, particularly under these circumstances and for these particular mages.

At that point, I can think of a few reasons.

1: The WolkenRitter have no loyalty to anyone but Hayate and have said so. They probably wouldn't ware seperate deployments...if the bureau insisted...well, everyone knows what happened last time they disagreed with the Bureau...

2: The Bureau are actively trying to recruit Hayate and the WolkenRitter. This kind of small concession may be a 'carrot'

3: Leti's probably been worked on by Lindy

4: it keeps them all in one place so they can be monitored more easily.
stormturmoil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-06-07, 22:09   Link #1018
Comartemis
He Who Smites Shippers

Quote:
1: The WolkenRitter have no loyalty to anyone but Hayate and have said so. They probably wouldn't ware seperate deployments...if the bureau insisted...well, everyone knows what happened last time they disagreed with the Bureau...
They're also completely loyal to Hayate. If the bureau says separate deployments and Hayate doesn't want them to fight about it, they'll just have to accept her judgement. Which isn't to say that she wants to be split up from them, but she probably doesn't want to make any more trouble than she already has.

Quote:
2: The Bureau are actively trying to recruit Hayate and the WolkenRitter. This kind of small concession may be a 'carrot'
I'm pretty sure that the bureau is making them join up as payment for all the trouble they caused. Maybe if they're trying to convince her to stick around once her debts have been repaid, though, that might work.

Quote:
3: Leti's probably been worked on by Lindy
Leti doesn't have all the power in the navy, and Goose and TK will probably say that they'd need more than just two admirals signing off on this to get that kind of power concentrated in one area.

Quote:
4: it keeps them all in one place so they can be monitored more easily.
Now this I can buy fairly easily, the only problem is what to do with them once they've proven themselves trustworthy and there isn't a need to monitor them.

I'm placing an emphasis on this because I'm trying to ascertain the probability of Hayate, Alex, and the Wolks being able to serve together on a single ship, with Hayate as captain, Shamal as a medical officer, and Vita and Signum serving in the assault force acting under Enforcer Alex. Zafira.... dunno, maybe a cook or something.

Kill the Darkfic.
Burn the Angst.
Purge the Bad End.
Old 2008-06-07, 22:18   Link #1019
Tk3997
Loveable Jerk

Send a message via ICQ to Tk3997 Send a message via AIM to Tk3997 Send a message via MSN to Tk3997
Quote:
Originally Posted by LoweGear View Post
After this being brought to my attention, really felt the need to respond...

Isn't that what Nanoha started out as though? A normal girl who gains powers through circumstances more or less beyond her control and fights evil?
Not really no though it did disguise itself as that while growing the beard, but as I’ve said once the spaceships and guys in uniforms showed up the hint should have been clear this isn’t you daddys magic girl show.

Quote:
While the militarism of Nanoha is one of the aspects that make it unique, and much more appealing to us than your standard magical girl show (heck, if Nanoha didn't have these elements I wouldn't have bothered to continue watching),
Which is my point these aspects are what set it apart from the rest of the ramble in the genre remove it and what are with left with? Nothing original that's for sure.

Quote:
there is a reason why the series is called "Magical Girl Lyrical Nanoha". This is not "JAG" or "The Unit". The core of the Nanohaverse is magic and females kicking ass;
Ahh this "Females kicking ass" nonsense once more if there one thing I'll never let pass it's this horse shit about how these shows should be centered a female cast only or mainly. It seemed like it might avoid even that at first Yunno and Chrono were both competent, but then they lost it and totally shafted them into oblivion in A and even more so StrikerS.

Quote:
heck, the militaristic aspects of the TSAB wasn't covered much in Nanoha, it's foundation laid in A's, and only in StrikerS did it come to the forefront as a primary base element for the story, and even then it was only background for the main action - heck, if it wasn't for the Asura the first season would've been much like any other magical girl.
Expect the Asura WAS there and it wasn't like any other magical girl show. These aspects are what has made it popular this can't even really be debated it's popular becasue it changed things up and added elements from other genres putting a new spin on the concept. If you then go and take this out what are we left with? Nothing besides "Are j00 a bad enough Magic Girl to pwn the ultimate ebil!?" hooray!

Quote:
I think the militarization of the TSAB here in the Nanoha forums has long blinded us to the fact that, as much as we'd like to deny it, and as much as we think it's cool to think otherwise, Nanoha is first and foremost a MAGICAL GIRL show.
Acutally IMO as of now it's first and foremost Science Fiction/Fantasy and it's magical element are acutally very much more subdued and less fantastic then the vast majority of such. It stopped being a Magic Girl show at it's core when they put on uniforms, became adults, and started acting as part of a larger overarching organization for a living it then became a sort of Fantasy/Sci-fi hybrid.

If you look at StrikerS it has almost nothing of what we'd associate with the genre beyond the fact there are Girls and they use magic. If you don't like that fine, but don't try and deny this aspect of the work that sets it apart from basiclly every other example of it's type.

Quote:
Sure, the series has done it's best to modify, or circumvent the standard mahou shoujo cliches, but at its heart MGLN is about the power of friendship and how it triumphs over all. That is the Core of the Nanohaverse, not the militarism.
I disagree the militarism (and politics) is part of the setting and an important part and if you remove it what you're left with is no longer Nanoha and it's probably not nearly as interesting either.

You need both Nanoha isn't a classic magical girl show nor are it's fans those that tended to like those. (I'd never touch Sailor Moon with a ten foot pole for instance...) It's not pure military fiction either though, but military and political aspects are integral too it and are definitely a part of it's appeal. Those that try to transform it into a pure love, love classical magic girl setting are just as wrong as those that try to turn into a crapsack world full of hardboiled killers and world weary soldiers.

Nanoha isn't Nanoha without militarism and politics, but it's also not Nanoha with out a touch of idealism and fantasy. The key is in the balance Goose and to some extent Kag probably take it too far one direction (in the grim darkness of the future of Nanoha there is only angst! oh and machine guns.) Coma was swinging too far the other way by seemingly just wanting to get rid of the TSAB entirely so the girls could just fly around zapping bad guys at will. Another example is IMO the FFT while the FFT produces plenty of interesting fluff an aversion by most of the posters to seemingly any of the military or politic aspects of the show limits there ability to have really interesting plots IMO...

There's a balance to be found that balance might be leaning a might too far toward military and politics at the moment, but even so those aspects definitely have there place as important parts of the universe and in writing interesting fics and characters. Of course the more fantastic and fluffy elements also have there place as well and it's this somewhat odd mixture that makes Nanoha interesting IMO. It's tricky to capture, but it's also important becasue if you don't do it right the universe just seems off.

Basically yeah the power of friendship is a core element of what makes Nanoha what it is... but so is the Power of Bureaucracy. Remove to much of either and what you're left with is much weaker for it in many ways the combination of politics, magic, and militray themes combine into something greater then the sum of there parts and into something truly unique (there really is nothing else like it I've come across) and if you take out any of those parts what you're left with is simply a shadow of it's complete self.

Tk3997 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-06-07, 22:21   Link #1020
PhoenixFlare
The Resurrector
*Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by Comartemis View Post
Leti doesn't have all the power in the navy, and Goose and TK will probably say that they'd need more than just two admirals signing off on this to get that kind of power concentrated in one area.
Actually, the thing about the Bureau wanting the power to be separated is probably a policy agreed only by a certain portion of the entire hierarchy. As I recall, Chrono was forced to follow the limiter policy because Regius was actively being the thorn on their side. To minimize friction, he agreed to place the limiter. The same may have occurred for the power concentration. The Navy usually requires higher-leveled personnel for their work, so there's no actual balance, so to speak.

=====

Speaking of which ...

@Keroko: I have to ask you a very important question - how has Tesla's cooking improved after StrikerS? There's a scene I am planning to write in Chapter 9 about her cooking (to a secret person, no less~ ). And if you are sticking your plans to Kerokanon, would Tesla really be Griffith's partner?
PhoenixFlare is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
hayaurion, kaonland, keroland, khrack, original content