AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series

Notices

Old 2009-05-02, 21:03   Link #221
pagan poor
Swayin' to the beat

I finally had time to watch this anime.... probably the funniest anime I've ever seen. I couldn't stop laughing pretty much all the way through. Go to DMC!
pagan poor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-12-19, 03:41   Link #222
Eugene
Barnarna Pearl

Quote:
Originally Posted by WanderingKnight View Post
This is a parody--in the same way, Negishi's absurdly crappy pop songs are also exaggerated in a parody. Pop songs are often cheesy, but they don't get as cheesy as Amai Koibito too often.
Actually, "Amai Koibito" is a pretty good song I think... in fact it's actually a real song by the artist Hideki Kaji (who I listened to before ever knowing about this comic/anime/movie series).

I find it kinda' interesting how many names and references to real Japanese twee/pop kinda' bands are dropped throughout this series (like the Kahimi Karie CD in the store and the Pizzicato Five poster on his wall). I'd be curious to know what the music tastes of the mangaka who started this series was.

This series is overall pretty amusing for someone like myself who not only loves silly cutesy twee stuff... but also loves the absurdity and harshness of genres like metal as well.
Eugene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-03-07, 12:18   Link #223
tyranuus
Team Spice and Wolf UK

Sorry to resurrect this thread, but as far as I can tell this isnt licensed yet, but Im having trouble finding it with english subs for download.

Can anyone point me to a working torrent with English subs?

Only ones I've found so far are italian or spanish

Edit: NVM, just found one!
Reading: None at the moment

Last edited by tyranuus; 2010-03-07 at 12:55.
tyranuus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-03-04, 06:17   Link #224
roriconfan
Banned

Send a message via MSN to roriconfan
DETROIT REVIEW METAL TIME CITY

ART SECTION: 7/10 [An almost identical adaptation of the manga format.]
The animators didn’t bother much in this section. Frankly, they didn’t need to. It is hilarious, no matter how crude the characters look or move. If it was a title where visuals play an outmost importance, like a romance like Air or an action movie like Sword of the Stranger, this would be a major minus. Since it is a comedy not based on slapstick movements, it goes well with the territory. To be honest, the thing that matters the most are the spaced out grimaces the characters make. All the rest are unimportant. Looking so gentle to a point of passing like nerds and mama’s boys or freaked out to resemble mass-murderers was enough to make the jokes work. So, movements and proportions suffer big time but at the same time they give of a feeling of an anarchistic underground comic; which is exactly what the series is. I almost doubt it would be as funny if it were done any better.

SOUND SECTION: 9/10 [Rape-rape-rape-rape-rape-rape-rape-rape-rape-rape!]
Being of OVA format, means that there is little to no constrain. So, expect the largest amount of cursing, ever heard in anime. The contrast of calm Swedish Pop on one side and monstrous Death Metal on the other has a hilarious effect on your ears. So is the antithesis of the drowsy voices the gentle people have in comparison to the nightmarish screams of the death metal fans. Even the songs by themselves are decent and memorable in the most part. Almost no problem on my part in this section. I didn’t feel something was out of place or could be presented any differently. Even the over-the-top amount of swearing words in it was acceptable.

STORY SECTION: 5/10 [Unfolds like 4-panel short comic stories.]
A polite, kind youngster turning into a make-belief Kind of Demons against his will and becoming the exact opposite of what he always wanted to be was more than I could bear without laughing for several minutes. I mean most series have some perky youth with high ideals that struggles to accomplish his dreams (i.e. Naruto, Ash Kecham, Luffy D. Monkey). Here we have someone who fails miserably at it but is quite good at being bad! If that is not funny, I don’t know what is. The story was making fun of this cliché most anime have become quite repetitive of (thus feeling boring for the same reason), so seeing it being ridiculed is hilarious for a veteran viewer like myself.

In all, the story is funny but not really developed or solid in any way. It will feel like stand-alone episodes with an almost identical form of storytelling. The gentle protagonist will have some peaceful, cheery plan, something goes wrong, and he turns to his hated alter ego in order to solve the problem in a most embarrassing (yet hilarious) manner that favors him. Everything is very convenient, so I never felt the story was meant to be realistic. It is just a simple scenario that unfolds in separated chapters, with an identical manner. The story does depict the basics of the problems music bands and singers have to face as they struggle for fame and acceptance. It still doesn’t get serious at all, as most things are resolved in a very forced way.

CHARACTER SECTION: 8/10 [I am the King of Demons!]
The cast of the characters is generally very likable. None besides the main character gets much focus or development; but since this is a series that focuses solely on one character, this is not a bad thing. Negishi is very interesting as he hates violence and passes for quite passive when in practice he always uses his hateful persona to get out of his troubles. Something like a suppressed dark side of his, Krauzer II is the persona you will most likely choose. For you see, calm and gentle people are presented in very negative ways (spineless, useless, oblivious) while the scum of society are glorified (mucho, imposing, decisive). Like the rest of the story, everything happens in extreme ways and leads to funny results because of the absolute separation of all the characters in to only two reverse poling categories.

VALUE & ENJOYMENT SECTION: 8/10 [F**k! My c**t is so wet, that the rain season will come early this year!]
I like metal, I like rock. The last thing somebody imagines when thinking of cartoons is such kinds of music. That is one of the reasons I prefer anime to cartoons. Give them the liberty, and nothing is impossible to them. It is true that many anime have metal music (i.e. Kachou Ouji: Hard Rock Save the Space), or a story about a music band (i.e. Beck), or even implement irony and the unexpected factor as means of telling a joke (i.e. Sayonara Zetsubou Sensei). This series is the only one that mixes all of the above and even takes them to extreme heights.

The repetitive form of the plot does start to become tiresome towards the end, where the episodes start to have more serious themes and less comical moments. Even the ending feels too rushed and unworthy of the premise we were promised. Still, the total amount of laughing overshadows the amount of time you start to doubt things. It is far more extreme and bold than most comedies out there. The chances of watching it again are high. The chances of forgetting it are zero.

VERDICT: 7.5 / 10
Krauzer II, your verdict for killing and raping a thousand people is … NOT GUILTY! Oh, Lord of the Underworld, murder me now!

SUGGESTION LIST
Sayonara Zetsubou Sensei (anime series)
Kachou Ouji: Hard Rock Save the Space (anime series)
Beck (anime series)
Aachi wa Ssipac (Korean anime movie)
Bremen (manga series)
Metalocalypse (western cartoon series)
Rock and Rule (western cartoon movie)
roriconfan is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
seinen