Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > General > General Chat > Sports & Entertainment

Notices

Old 2012-07-21, 04:29   Link #541
kyp275
Meh

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yui Is My Wife View Post
Is Bane a credible threat with credible resources, charisma and manpower, equal to the Shadown Warriors, or is he just another thug who got lucky?
Yes.

Though there is a downside to Bane, I couldn't understand what he's saying quite often due to the mask sound effect
kyp275 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-07-21, 05:32   Link #542
Yui Is My Wife
Paper-Fan of DOOM!!

Also, is Bane a "misguided hero" like the Raz Al Gul is, whose ideals you can actually respect if you gave half a second to empathize with him?

Because "villains" like The Shadow Warriors who want to make the world kinder and gentler place rather than pursue selfish goals are FAR more interesting (and realistic) than cynical trash like The Joker, who spread misery, hopelessness, cruelty, apathy and pain just because the loser can.

Just like the makers of nihilistic crap like Seinfeld, Game of Thrones, Family Guy and The Simpsons, which tells, nay, SCREAMS at the audience to take pleasure in the blood, tears, hopelessness and broken dreams of decent human beings; in that sense those "writers" (if those scribblers deserve to be called that) are EXACTLY like the Joker, and not one bit better.

Always had a grudging respect for the Shadow Warriors; because extremism be damned, they CARE enough to want to make a difference and bring happiness, faith and above all, hope to the world, just like Bruce.

Hopefully Bane will be that kind of "anti-villain."
Old 2012-07-21, 05:52   Link #543
Ithekro
Gamilas Falls

If there is anything to this movie, it is giving hope to Bruce Wayne..they one that can't bring himself to trust or hope for the people of Gotham City.

Or maybe just Catwoman's fine posterior.
Old 2012-07-21, 06:15   Link #544
TinyRedLeaf
Moving in circles

First reaction after rushing out to watch this movie, first thing on a Saturday morning at a packed Imax theatre: Somewhat underwhelmed, unfortunately.

I nearly nodded off during some scenes, but that's probably just because I'm tired. It's not what I hoped it'll be, but it wasn't awful either.

The cast was fantastic. Anne Hathaway makes arguably the best Catwoman in recent memory, playing a fantastic foil to Christian Bale's on-his-last-legs Dark Knight. The plot was convoluted to the point of being almost incomprehensible, made worse by an unnecessary development that — if you think about it — made most of the developments in the earlier half of the movie pointless and redundant.

Worse, the story felt like a half-hearted rehash of themes already covered in The Dark Knight. This movie focuses so much on bringing the trilogy to an end that, thematically, it seemed to be constantly decelerating from the giddy highs of the second film.

If Bane was meant to be Gotham's reckoning, then colour me unimpressed. It seemed to me that he was no more anarchic than the Joker, or perhaps even less so: the Joker was dangerously unpredictable; Bane had more method to his "madness", which paradoxically diminished his stature, I felt.

That said, this movie clearly taps on some of the anger with Wall Street fat cats since 2008. That, no doubt, would have plenty of people smiling with grim satisfaction.

And the music. Ugh. Sure, it fills the theatre with an adrenaline-pumping tempo. But when it's playing that loud almost all of the time, it kind of becomes background noise. Very loud, tiresome background noise.

In the end though? It's a Chris Nolan Batman/Dark Knight movie. It's a great watch even if it's not as absorbing as its immediate predecessor.

Spoiler for the ending:
TinyRedLeaf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-07-22, 01:57   Link #545
MakubeX2
うるとらぺど

Impressions of the film now :-

Quote:
Originally Posted by MakubeX2 View Post
If we look back at the previous 2 Nolan's Batman outings, there's always 2 villans involved in each. Ra's al Ghul and Scarecrow. Joker and Two Face.
Always knew that Nolan can't resist throwing surprises towards the end. Ra's true identity in Begins. Two Face in TDK. And now
Spoiler:
But it was of little surprise given that IMDB spoiled the surprise with the credit listing months prior.

About Bane now
Spoiler:

And they were serious about not mentioning the Joker at all. It might be really nice to see Joker
Spoiler:
as a subplot.

Last edited by MakubeX2; 2012-07-22 at 02:14.
MakubeX2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-07-22, 02:38   Link #546
Blaat

Quote:
And they were serious about not mentioning the Joker at all. It might be really nice to see Joker
Spoiler:
as a subplot.
No way
Spoiler:
Old 2012-07-22, 02:45   Link #547
MakubeX2
うるとらぺど

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blaat View Post
No way
Spoiler:
Spoiler:

Besides, it's the only way to resolve Bats' entagled fate with the Joker (appeasing fans too) by
Spoiler:
Old 2012-07-22, 03:56   Link #548
Blaat

Quote:
Spoiler:
Spoiler:
Quote:
Besides, it's the only way to resolve Bats' entagled fate with the Joker (appeasing fans too) by
Spoiler:
Spoiler:
Old 2012-07-22, 04:40   Link #549
kenjiharima
Mizore-chan

Before the story it's about that massacre. That a crazy loon and he needs to be jailed and be sentenced to whatever death or life imprisonment. God Bless the souls of the ones he murdered.

As for the movie.

Incredible, Epic, more Amazing and spectacular that the reboot you know what movie. Love the story the plot twist how it's so close to the Knightfall comic in fight of Bane VS Batman. The only gripe I have on Nolan movies is that heroes and villains have such voices that you really need to open your ear to understand. Darth Vader Bane was ok imho, love the intensity of his eyes whenever he fights Batman, but same old weakness damage a valve he's weakened.

But overall this is a movie that you wanted to be longer and have the story continue because it was epic!

Spoiler for Returning Villains:

Spoiler for Nolan next super hero movie:
Old 2012-07-22, 07:22   Link #550
HasuMasu
*Artist

Not so impressed.

Though here are some thing that I did like.

Spoiler for Death...by exile.:
Old 2012-07-22, 07:57   Link #551
MakubeX2
うるとらぺど

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blaat View Post
Spoiler:
Spoiler:
Old 2012-07-22, 08:00   Link #552
HasuMasu
*Artist

Can't help but wonder how it would've turned out if not for Joker's death.

I feel like it could've been so much better, the way it is now I would no doubt rate The Amazing Spiderman over it.

I'd still rate this over the Avengers movie...but that's not much.
Old 2012-07-22, 08:51   Link #553
Obelisk ze Tormentor
Black Steel Knight

Quote:
Originally Posted by Detective-san View Post
Can't help but wonder how it would've turned out if not for Joker's death.

I feel like it could've been so much better, the way it is now I would no doubt rate The Amazing Spiderman over it.

I'd still rate this over the Avengers movie...but that's not much.
You're right, Det-san. Just like what I said earlier.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Obelisk ze Tormentor View Post
Well, for me, it’s not surprising if TDKR can’t surpass TDK, or rather I already anticipate it. One primary reason is that there’s no Heath’s Joker in TDKR that everybody miss. In addition, this TDKR story is not “part of the plan” since the Nolan brothers originally plan The Joker to reappear in the 2nd sequel and most likely end Nolan’s Batman saga. But then, out of respect for Ledger’s towering performance, Nolan scrapped The Joker character altogether and (according to many critics’ reviews that I read) isn’t even mentioned in TDKR, at all. So yeah, Ledger’s death (just like the Joker character that he played) screwed up Nolan’s original plan and forced him to come up with TDKR.
Now, we can only imagine how good will the finale be if Heath is still alive & kickin' to play The Joker. It's like Nolan brothers are playing with handicap here. On second thought, no, I think Nolan brothers are permanently handicapped by Heath's death. So much that they (most probably) can only bring half the potential of the original finale.

Damn! Okay, I'm not blaming Heath for his death of course. If only I have a DeLorean that can travel to the past, I'll go to Heath's room and hide all those medication from his drawer back in 2008 Marty McFly-style .
Old 2012-07-22, 09:36   Link #554
antediluvian
Before the Deluge

I ended up pitying Bane throughout the movie, especially after the big reveal. He's always been more of an anti-hero. In fact, Bane was once under the idea that he was Bruce's brother. And the character has certainly evolved to more of an anti-hero stance in recent years. He's one of the more complex characters in the series.

Selina really impressed me too. Anne Hathaway did extremely well and stole every scene she was in. Which was very pleasing to me because there needs to be more strong female leads in movies. And the John Blake reveal at the end. Oh my god. I definitely expected it throughout the movie and by the time it occurred, well, I couldn't help rolling my eyes.

All in all, this movie was definitely impressive and on par with the Avengers. I expected that, but still, great movie.
antediluvian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-07-22, 09:56   Link #555
Haladflire65
*Artist

Nolan said a while ago that he wasn't going to mention the Joker at all out of respect for Heath. A lot people have bashed him for that but he's the one who was friends with Heath so we don't really have the right to judge him. I wonder how things could have been different had Heath not passed away. I don't know if two movies in a row with Joker would have worked, though.

I just saw TDKR for the second time. The first time I saw it, I was pretty blown away because of the sheer amount of tension, action and plot reveals thrown at the audience, but the second time around I was a lot calmer and caught more of its flaws than I did before. It definitely doesn't feel as epic on repeat viewings, I think...

Spoiler:

I still like the movie very much, but I think Batman Begins remains my favourite out of the trilogy.
Old 2012-07-22, 12:25   Link #556
kenjiharima
Mizore-chan

Wonder how will the Colorado massacre affect the total box office sales of DKR?

Spoiler for story:

Hoping the Blu-ray version has more deleted scenes or added scenes, I really hoped this movie would have been longer because it ends epic with alot of closures, but there is that feeling that you want more because you know it can give more, but too bad Bale and Nolan doesn't want to do another Batman movie.

Now what lies for the future of Batman movies?
Old 2012-07-22, 12:38   Link #557
Ithekro
Gamilas Falls

You do realise that the movie is nearly 3 hours long (2 hours and 45 minutes).

It didn't feel like it, but getting home from a 1:30 showing and noticing it was 5:00 was kind of a shock.
Old 2012-07-22, 14:45   Link #558
Lightning_Wing

Quote:
Now what lies for the future of Batman movies?
Hopefully, no more for awhile. Let's hope Hollywood can give some of these characters a rest.
Old 2012-07-22, 16:09   Link #559
kramerica

Quote:
Originally Posted by kenjiharima View Post
Wonder how will the Colorado massacre affect the total box office sales of DKR?
Unfortunately, I think it will affect box office sales of TDKR and every big movie opening for a while until the masses calm down over it. Which may take a long time if there is suspect of copycats attempting this.

Also, if there is ever a director's cut of TDKRs that's like 4 hours long I'd be a day one purchase for me :P

Nanael is not amused.
kramerica is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-07-22, 16:45   Link #560
GDB

Quote:
Originally Posted by kenjiharima View Post
Spoiler for Nolan next super hero movie:
Spoiler for Response ala John Blake:
GDB is online now   Reply With Quote