AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series

Notices

Old 2015-06-30, 17:36   Link #2341
Flower
Blooming on the mountain

Location: Deep in their roots, all flowers keep the light....
Ep 13 Finale

An excellently done final ep...perhaps the best of the season that I have seen thus far.

Overall a very good work - not one that I was engaged in as much as other viewers, perhaps, but still well done.

I'd give it a 8.0-8.5/10.

Best thing produced since Hyouka for me.
Old 2015-06-30, 17:56   Link #2342
rickiminato

The light novels are traslate?
Old 2015-06-30, 18:04   Link #2343
Flower
Blooming on the mountain

Location: Deep in their roots, all flowers keep the light....
Quote:
Originally Posted by rickiminato View Post
The light novels are traslate?
That sort of question is best asked in the light novel thread:http://forums.animesuki.com/showthread.php?t=131685
Old 2015-06-30, 18:14   Link #2344
Nicaea

Oh my god. The amount of emotion this episode had pretty much trumped most if not all season finales. I was so nervous during the whole performance that I ended up having the same reaction to the results as Kumiko. The episode truly did a good job making the story go full circle. I loved how they gave all band members some love, it really makes the side characters look better and the ensemble truly look like a team. Loved the endearing moments between Shuuichi and Kumiko, Yuuko and Natsuki (I think she wins the title of best senpai), Hazuki and Natsuki, Kumiko and Reina. That moment between Kumiko and Asuka had this bittersweet feel to it.
Nicaea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2015-06-30, 18:28   Link #2345
Marcus H.
Princess or Plunderer?

Tears were shed. The chill of tension was felt from in front of the monitor.
I was freaking there when it happened.

God, if not for the momentary cuts to Rikka, it would have been perfect. Still, it was arguably the best final episode of the season, where you see the fruits of everyone's labors throughout those 13 episodes. Also happy for Shuuichi and Kumiko's fistbump there.

What happened to Asuka, though? It's as if this memory isn't for keeps. Moving out is a possible reason, but the empty room is the only sign of it.

P.S. It's not Reina's picture that's in Taki's folder. It was someone with brown hair, short fringes and a different hairstyle. (The ring may imply marriage, and the missing ring on Taki's hand suggests separation or possibly death of that girl.)
Spring 2023: Yamada-kun to Lv999 no Koi wo Suru, Kuma Kuma Kuma Bear Punch! (4/12), Skip to Loafer, Tonikaku Kawaii S2 (1/12), Otonari ni Ginga (5/12) and Kimi wa Houkago Insomnia (3/13).

Contact me on Wikia and MyAnimeList.
Anime List Status ~ Watching: 33. Completed: 468. Plan to watch: 39.
Marcus H. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2015-06-30, 19:24   Link #2346
Top Sergeant

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marcus H. View Post

P.S. It's not Reina's picture that's in Taki's folder. It was someone with brown hair, short fringes and a different hairstyle. (The ring may imply marriage, and the missing ring on Taki's hand suggests separation or possibly death of that girl.)
That may explain Taki's attitude with the band. Enjoy life; you never know when it may end.
Old 2015-06-30, 19:37   Link #2347
deadite

Midori is so cool with her game face on. It's like she's a different character when playing the contrabass.
Also I like the little moment with Taki smiling when Shuiichi did his part right in the competition. Also, the girls were wearing their skirts at regulation length and Reina was not wearing her thigh highs.
deadite is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 2015-06-30, 19:44   Link #2348
ahelo
Criminal Unrequitor
*Graphic Designer

Perfect. Just perfect. That was one beautiful ending (not just on an animation standpoint).

Seriously, once this show hit all the right notes, showing how invested it is in perfectly telling the story they have at hand, the quality it gave was second to absolutely no one this spring season, or actually ever. It was so polished that it looked so easy and me wonder why other series can't even come close with its execution.

It even managed to put the cherry on top by providing some of the most interesting character dynamics I've ever seen in anime. Not all the characters are memorable but they interacted with one another in a way that was so grounded and realistic. They managed to to depict school organization politics perfectly.

Also Kumiko and Reina's relationship is really one for the books. Many things have been discussed on the nature of their relationship but what really matters is that KyoAni did an amazing job with these two. Seriously one of the best relationships I've seen in a while.

10/10 (there's definitely recency bias for me but still)
Old 2015-06-30, 19:47   Link #2349
Takigan

The looks of hope and anticipation on the girls' faces when they're waiting for the announcement, and their resultant reactions.....are freaking ADORABLE!

Images
Sorry; dynamic content not loaded. Reload?

And I'll once reiterate KyoAni's attention to detail in how these sorts of things take place. Everything from the kids all sitting in the concert hall with the announcer, the folded hands, praying, the tears. It's pretty darn accurate...

https://youtu.be/2hQtiKbVpZ4?t=54m36s

https://youtu.be/jnYpnJAV1AI?t=8m7s
Takigan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2015-06-30, 20:26   Link #2350
FredFriendly
Beyond the Fringe

Sisters? Mother and daughter?

At first glance, this looks like a very young Kousaka who is offering Taki-sensei a flower while hold her trumpet (in a case), a book that is wide open, and that "ring" is a strap of some kind. This definitely does not look like an adult:

Obviously, if they wanted us to know who it was, Taki-sensei wouldn't have his darn hand on top of the photo, and it wouldn't be shown at a skewed angle with light reflecting off it so we can't really tell what color hair the girl has. Sure, it might be brown, but it might also be black.

On second glance, boosting the contrast up a few notches, it now looks like it might be the other girl, above, with the same color eyes and black hair (just wildly guessing here):

Anyhow, the singular thing I found most impressive of this show was the number of uniquely identifiable characters (60 or so?) who have also been given names. I'm not sure I've ever seen another anime with this large a cast of named characters.

On the other hand, I can't say this is a favorite show. Perhaps if it had been a two cour series from the get-go, and didn't leave the viewer guessing about various things, my impression might have been much more positive. But, as it is, I couldn't give it full marks. The rewatchability factor is zippo for me, unlike, for instance, Haruhi (I've even suffered through the Endless Eight more than twice), or Nodame as an example of a music-oriented series. It just isn't inspiring enough. This might have something to do with the deliberate yuri baiting, but the main character herself, Yumiko, is just too lackluster to inspire me to want to know what happens to her in the future. Maybe it's also 'cause I just don't like the way she treats the person who, as far as we have been led to believe, may have been her friend longer than anyone else in the show.

Ignoring the yuri baiting and pandering to the prurient interests of a certain segment of the viewing audience, Kousaka's and Yumiko's relationship is very well done, having developed an unusually deep bond of friendship in a very realistic way. It is not unlike friendships I also formed while in high school.
FredFriendly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2015-06-30, 20:30   Link #2351
Kazu-kun

I thought the girl in the first picture is related to Asuka, since they have the same blue eyes.
Old 2015-06-30, 20:44   Link #2352
Hero of the day
Masa~san <3

Highlights for the episode:

1 Taki silencing the band with a sleight of his hand and everyone tuning their instruments together
2. Kumiko and Shuichi make-up scene. It didn't disappoint, the build up was worth it. It was great and it was cute. I can only hope for these two get closer now that they're on speaking terms again.
3. Reina's trumpet solo which was may favorite bit in the entire performance. I had the same reaction with Hazuki and Natsuki. The look on Yuuko and Kaori's faces were priceless though. I kinda feel bad for chuckling.
4. Ponytails everywhere

8/10 show overall. It seems we've only reached vol 1 of the story? I'd like another season to flesh-out more characters especially Asuka. I don't mind her being the MC this time, she together with Kaori and Haruka. The lovely trio

@FredFriendly

Glad I'm not the only one who noticed the similarities between Reina and that new character. She's like an adult version of Reina or just Kyoani sameface . I initially thought it was Aoi with a ponytail since it would makes sense that she would watch their performance to give her support.
Hero of the day is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2015-06-30, 20:53   Link #2353
larethian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arya View Post
Excellent final episode from the start to the very end. The tension during the whole preparation from early morning was really there and it lasted to the end.

The execution and the direction did a great job balancing the ensemble and the individual moments. And glad that on the latter they touched every thread between the single characters adding Natsuki and Hazuki bit that enforced the unity of the whole group in their enjoyment despite some being left out.

Ahh, the only sad note, in-universe, is obviously Asuka. Her behaviour and detachment played as a minor key within an otherwise major key execution of the whole episode. If not even a dissonance. I'm confused since despite her words may imply, as already speculated, she will move soon, that still won't add up with the enjoyment and excitement of the moment. Going even against the usual concept of building your memories and then cherish them onwards. A disease could make more sense, but I can't absolutely see it in this kind of story.

In any case, just with this bit I'm already wanting a second season. Adding to this Taki's picture of that girl (that seemed a kid to me, giving him a flower, if not for the ring) that may easily be the same who sat in the audience and given her outlook could also be Reina elder sister or her mother. And also Kumiko and Shuuichi finally coming to terms with each other.
I mean, aren't they putting a bit to much of new inputs here and there?

Now I'd be tempted to go reading some bits in the novel thread just to know about Asuka, but in the hope of a second season I won't.
Asuka will need a 3rd season.

Spoilers
Spoiler for music animation comparison with Nodame and KimiUso
Sorry; dynamic content not loaded. Reload?
larethian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2015-06-30, 21:05   Link #2354
blakstealth
Les Pays Bass

Why does Team Monaca sound so familiar? And what are those good-luck charms? At first, I thought they were macaroons. Then I thought they looked like yo-yos. Then I thought maybe they were like hamburgers....like pretty patties.
blakstealth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2015-06-30, 21:30   Link #2355
deadite

I love the focus on Kaori and Yuuko during Reina's solo. Kaori made the face of both regret and acceptance.
deadite is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 2015-06-30, 21:39   Link #2356
FlareKnight
User of the "Fast Draw"

Send a message via AIM to FlareKnight Send a message via MSN to FlareKnight
Quote:
Originally Posted by deadite View Post
I love the focus on Kaori and Yuuko during Reina's solo. Kaori made the face of both regret and acceptance.
Yeah, that was a nice focus. Kaori in the end accepting that it was the right move. Reina just performing too well to think differently. Better to have her play and have a chance to move ahead then to take the spot herself and have them fall short.
Old 2015-06-30, 21:46   Link #2357
DragoonKain3
Osana-Najimi Shipper

Yes, back to square one! That's all I could hope for ShuichiXKumiko for this season, and I couldn't be happier for this series. This is because I've seen pretty much all TV anime where osananajimi are present in the past decade and a half (win or lose), and them patching up their childhood friend relationship has a lot of similarities with other anime where the two end up as a couple at the very end of the series.

So while a lot of people won't believe me, I'd say this pretty much sets ShuichiXKumiko in stone somewhere in the future. I don't have 'proper proof', but considering my track record of predictions in this series, I'd say my words aren't without merit, right?

(I mean, a lot of people we're joking before about Yamada being in the closet [for whatever reason I don't know], but they forget that she alone storyboarded the ENTIRETY of a certain movie sequel. With the prequel of that having MUCH less moments in comparison to Hibike, it only serves to fuel my confidence that KumikoXShuichi will sail by the very end. )

Quote:
Originally Posted by Akuma Kinomoto View Post
A few moments of foreshadowing =/= a large portion of what the show focused on.
But again, I'm not arguing that foreshadowing = large portion of what the show focused on. I'm arguing that the large amount of foreshadowing of Reina-->Taki means that there was anything BUT minimal build-up for it. Please, this is the second time you 'straw manned' my argument, and I sound like a broken clock reiterating my position.

And just a few moments? Just look at the other things foreshadowed in comparison... example, Hazuki liking Shuichi had foreshadowing of exactly ONE scene before it was revealed. Kumiko and Shuichi's repairing of their friendship was foreshadowed over 2 scenes (ironically one is from before their fallout). Taki listening to classical music while at the shrine in episode 1 was the only indication that he is actually competent at his job before he was introduced as their advisor.

In comparison, Reina --> Taki got 5 scenes in 4 different episodes, and the show even had a recap the episode before. That is anything but 'just a few moments' in terms of foreshadowing, considering a lot of anime don't even bother to foreshadow. Heck, vast majority of works don't recap their foreshadowing, be it books, movies, or anime (I can't name even one!). Considering it's rarity, the very existence of the foreshadowing recap clearly puts the Reina --> Taki buildup as anything BUT minimal.

Again to reiterate, I'm here to argue that the buildup of Reina --> Taki is anything but minimal. Nothing more, nothing less.

Quote:
You mentioned the LN, not I.
I only mentioned it because other members mentioned that they will animate only the first volume. Because of that, there's the implication that there is more to the story than this season alone, just like a lot of anime where they adapted only to a certain part of the source. As such, we have to adjust our expectations accordingly, because the full story won't be told during the anime airing.

As an example, expecting the band to WIN the nationals by the end of this anime series would be wishful thinking. In the same vein, expecting the story to resolve Reina-->Taki when it was officially revealed so late would be putting it in the same category as the former example. It's only for this reason why I was willing to go on this tangent with Triple, as s/he was talking about 'follow-up'.

Quote:
The nature of Reina's infatuation with Taki makes sense, but the issue is the facts of her character don't align with her emotions. <snip>
Not sure what this (and by extension everything you've written after) has to do with Reina --> Taki having, or not having, minimal build-up.

Quote:
I suppose the conversation over the past month has reminded me that people need only >0% to believe a het pairing but demand 100% for a same-sex pairing. Well now.
If by 'people' you mean me, then you've got me dead wrong (read my post in the Yuri/Yaoi Goggles thread if you don't believe me). Even taking this cour, I pretty much concede my ship in Mikagure Gakuen and see Yuri pretty much sailing to the sunset despite it's open-ended ending.

In here? There needs to be resolution to the Reina --> Taki angle BEFORE ReinaXKumiko can even go forward. So if it comes off that I'm COMPLETELY dismissive of ReinaXKumiko, well, I am BECAUSE of plot reasons within the story itself. This is the very biggest of reasons in the shipping fandom mind you; it is VERY hard to argue with 'canon'. Reina --> Taki is an integral part of the plot that is partly responsible for the Kaori vs Reina conflict, and it is the very reason Reina is in Kitauji in the first place. It's not something that you can dismiss despite 'seeing' evidence that Reina likes another person; the story itself must first dismiss it before Reina --> any other person stands a chance of sailing.

Taking Mikagure Gakuen as an example again, I can ONLY demand 100% for my ship of ErunaXShigure because it has already been established early on that Eruna --> Seisa (heck it's the very reason why she attended that school... sound familiar?). I can NOT dismiss this no matter how hard I try; the story itself must dismiss it. Until I can get an in-series resolution on Eruna --> Seisa where it dissolves, everything I can put forward for ErunaXShigure is wishful thinking no matter how I spin it.

In the same vein, until there is an in-series resolution on Reina --> Taki, everything that can be put forward as ReinaXKumiko is wishful thinking no matter how people here spin it. That's why I (and a whole lot of other people here in this thread) think that ReinaXKumiko is merely 'yuri bait'. (For the record, I'm really sorry I brought up the term in episode 8 as it seems to hurt a lot of feelings, but what is done is done )

I mean, one can spin that all these ReinaXKumiko 'moments' are basis that Reina will change her feelings in the future, but until that actually happens in the show, the pairing just has no canon footing to base itself on. You're free to think that they have something special or what not (heck that's the very soul of shipping), but for the moment, you will NOT be convincing anyone outside of your ship of the viability of the pairing happening in the show.

Yes its YOU childhood friend - source of BERZERKER RAGE since forever
Childhood Friend couple STATISTICS(spoilers abound though)
DragoonKain3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2015-06-30, 21:49   Link #2358
FredFriendly
Beyond the Fringe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hero of the day View Post
2. Kumiko and Shuichi make-up scene. It didn't disappoint, the build up was worth it. It was great and it was cute. I can only hope for these two get closer now that they're on speaking terms again.
More like stomping and kicking terms:

Those two middle shots speak volumes, no, backtrack, all four of those shots speak volumes about their relationship, how close they actually are, and, more specifically, how Kumiko really feels about Shuiichi. Need I say more?

Quote:
@FredFriendly

Glad I'm not the only one who noticed the similarities between Reina and that new character. She's like an adult version of Reina or just Kyoani sameface . I initially thought it was Aoi with a ponytail since it would makes sense that she would watch their performance to give her support.
Right off the bat it seemed to me like they were related. I did brighten up the mystery guest photo quite a bit so as to be able to make a better comparison. Considering how unique they've made all the band members look, you'd be hard-pressed not to think those two were related.

@blakstealth Hand-painted yo-yos is what they appeared to be to me.
FredFriendly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2015-06-30, 22:43   Link #2359
Hero of the day
Masa~san <3

Quote:
Originally Posted by FredFriendly View Post
More like stomping and kicking terms:

Those two middle shots speak volumes, no, backtrack, all four of those shots speak volumes about their relationship, how close they actually are, and, more specifically, how Kumiko really feels about Shuiichi. Need I say more?
While the stomp and kick was cute I think it was unnecessary. C'mon you both already talked on the bridge, why so awkward?

Also that girl from Rikka High School, Kumiko's friend with yet another beautiful ponytail. What was her scenes about? was it to show how miserable she is compared to Kumiko? She looked so nervous and no one was helping her out, I wanted to give her a hug... or maybe even let her step on my foot for stress relief. Okay now I know why Kumiko stepped on Shuichi's foot
Hero of the day is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2015-06-30, 23:21   Link #2360
ices
Working Hard

Confirmed: stomping on someone foot could relief a stress.

Also, there is possibility for second season, right. What was next Kyoani's project that has been announced? If they're not working on anything, maybe that are sign for a second season, aren't they?
ices is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
band, high school drama, music, orchestra