Notices

Closed Thread

Old 2016-06-26, 21:54   Link #2101
Endscape
The Mage of Four Hearts
*Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harry Dresden View Post
But he was NOT in control in last arc. That is big reason of his characterization there - he was faced with a horrifying threat he had no control of and had to learn that this is not a game, this is real. Then he traded his survival(by jumping off a cliff) for sake of saving others.
He wasn't in control, but he was a part of what was going on. Events happened to and around him, and he could try to affect them.

Here, he was completely uninvolved and he had no reason to be.

Quote:
And yeah, Arc 2 showcased his psychological problems well. The problem is - none of that is here.
Except it actually is.

His insistence with involving himself with Emilia's affairs against her will and all common sense.

The way he spiralled out of control when people started denying that insistence, and how that got even worse when the person herself denied it. All that was well shown this episode.

Illusion, illusion, this is illusion. It cannot harm me.
Old 2016-06-26, 21:55   Link #2102
Applehell

Quote:
Originally Posted by zero7090 View Post
Yeah, it seems like all the character development in ep 7 is thrown into the trash bin. Really i feel the author deliberately repeated the same character flaws for some cheap drama.
As several people like Eater of All has pointed out, it's not repeat of anything. What happened is actually a direct result of those last two arcs, without it being masked by his heroism.
Old 2016-06-26, 22:05   Link #2103
BladeMancer
TheBladeThatRivesDivinity

Quote:
Actually isn't this literally a retread of previous arc? Just with less episodes and with worse justification/writing.

In Ep11 and Ep12 we:
  • Had Subaru be out of place and socially awkward, making fool out of himself
  • Have him realize he is not accepted and break down in front of Emilia playing the gratitude card
  • Start to realize how real this is
  • Be told, as well as admit that he is selfish idiot.

Now I am sure he will have to accept how selfish he is, do selfless things and earn back their trust.

That sounds familiar. OH RIGHT
Didn't Subaru:
  • Spend Episode 4 being entirely out of place making a fool out of himself and garnering suspicion.
  • Spend episode 6 realizing he is not being accepted and breaking down in Ep7 over them rejecting him and his nice guy savior attitude
  • Spend the end of Episode 7 realizing he has been a selfish idiot and then throwing away his happy ending in order to save the maids life.
  • Have a breakdown in Episode 8 over his realization of just how real everything is and how this is not a game but real life and he can't afford to mess up, which leads to him trying to fake his old behavior and eventually breaking down in front of Emilia over suffering.
  • Spend Episode 9 and 10 putting his life on the line fully realizing its real and how expendable he is or how scary the situation is.
  • Spend Episode 10 and 11 earning back everyone's trust.

Why are we repeating exact same things again? Same things he already supposedly learned.

We literally just spent like 9 episodes on all of this, so why is he re-learning those things AGAIN? Except this time it does not feel natural.

It will be outright hilarious if Arc4 is exact same thing again just with different characters delivering those lessons to Subaru...Let's have him act idotic around Felt now, till she slaps and rejects Subaru, leading him to learn that he has been selfi...well you get the gist.
You sound as if you've died and know how to deal with the after effects. If near death experiences can mess people up, imagine going beyond and having it several times. That mabeast incident did change him and it made him extra vigilant and cautious, and since he was in a pseudo isolated environment it also means he is thrown in an different school of fish. Unexpected things happen; like how the dog gave him a curse.
This is also the place where he and Emilia died, and since she is a silver haired half elf who is the same as the witch how could he not be hostile and cautious to others? There is also Julius questioning his devotion, if you thought you loved something imagine someone trampling all over that and calling you unworthy of it and proceeding to call you shitface fagmgee...I'd be mad and pissed as shit. Not to mention he is a NEET, someone who doesn't interact very much with others. As a NEET (or NET, i'm not old enough to have the educated part removed) I've had social swings too, in which one day I am openly friendly, loud and confident and on the next I am bitter, quiet, withdrawn and when I'm really peeved hostile.
Frequent use will make it dull and brittle; it's ill sheen reflecting the wielder's lost virtues and strength. Thus comes the saying that the ire of the calm, kind and gentle forges with vengful fire a fearsome bladed edge. Pray for those whose image reflects off it, for it may only stop through reconcilatory waters or icy voids of the end.
Old 2016-06-26, 22:23   Link #2104
ayyo

Quote:
Actually isn't this literally a retread of previous arc? Just with less episodes and with worse justification/writing.

In Ep11 and Ep12 we:
  • Have him realize he is not accepted and break down in front of Emilia playing the gratitude card

Now I am sure he will have to accept how selfish he is, do selfless things and earn back their trust.

Didn't Subaru:
  • Spend Episode 4 being entirely out of place making a fool out of himself and garnering suspicion.
  • Spend episode 6 realizing he is not being accepted and breaking down in Ep7 over them rejecting him and his nice guy savior attitude
  • Spend the end of Episode 7 realizing he has been a selfish idiot and then throwing away his happy ending in order to save the maids life.
  • Have a breakdown in Episode 8 over his realization of just how real everything is and how this is not a game but real life and he can't afford to mess up, which leads to him trying to fake his old behavior and eventually breaking down in front of Emilia over suffering.
  • Spend Episode 9 and 10 putting his life on the line fully realizing its real and how expendable he is or how scary the situation is.

Why are we repeating exact same things again? Same things he already supposedly learned.

We literally just spent like 9 episodes on all of this, so why is he re-learning those things AGAIN? Except this time it does not feel natural.

It will be outright hilarious if Arc4 is exact same thing again just with different characters delivering those lessons to Subaru...Let's have him act idotic around Felt now, till she slaps and rejects Subaru, leading him to learn that he has been selfi...well you get the gist.
What the fuck are you rambling on about. This arc and the second arc is not about knowing this is real or whatever you're misunderstanding after watching a dozen episodes; Subaru knew this was not a game in the first very episode when he and Emilia got killed by Elsa and experienced all the pain that followed that. The situation in the second arc and in the past two episodes are not the same and you haven't even interpreted what happened in the second arc correctly.

In the first arc Subaru has had no time to get his feet on the ground because he has been trying to keep Emilia alive. In the second arc is when Subaru finally gets a chance to begin his life in this strange new world. The first death loop is him trying to begin his new life. The second death loop is him retracing the first death loop. The third death loop is him sacrificing this loop to find the culprit instead of trying to begin his new life. The fourth death loop he is scared of Ram and Rem, shuns Emilia and when he had no one else to turn to, Beatrice saves and protects him. He realizes no one in the mansion was the cause of the curse and decides to believe in all of his memories of Ram and Rem and along with Emilia and Beatrice that they are worth saving and kills himself to reset everything.

In the fifth loop he tries make sure everyone in the mansion trusts him by being a perfect butler but he isn't able to succeed and was about to break down when Emilia saves him. He finds out the source of the curse and realizes that the villagers are in danger too. He decides he wants to protect not only the people of the mansion but the villagers too once he realized they were in mortal danger too. Subaru was not willing to let any of the kids or Rem die. Each of the three times he thought Rem was about to die - once before she transformed, once after she transformed, and once he woke up and realized she went back tot he forest - he was willing to throw his life to protect her because if she died he had the resolve to kill himself again to reset everything.

And I'll repeat again to break down some of your points
[*]Spend episode 6 realizing he is not being accepted and breaking down in Ep7 over them rejecting him and his nice guy savior attitude[*]Spend the end of Episode 7 realizing he has been a selfish idiot and then throwing away his happy ending in order to save the maids life.

He doesn't 'realize he has been a selfish idiot', he realizes the people of the mansion are good people and that what he did wrong was the inability to get them to trust him.

[*]Have a breakdown in Episode 8 over his realization of just how real everything is and how this is not a game but real life and he can't afford to mess up, which leads to him trying to fake his old behavior and eventually breaking down in front of Emilia over suffering.

Ignoring the bs about real and shit, he isn't 'faking his old behavior', he's trying hard in his own way to get everyone to like him and when he realizes he isn't able to do it even though he is trying his hardest, he breaks down.

You seem to have a few major misunderstandings, the first being that he ever thought this was a game. The second is that somehow in the second arc he realizes being socially awkward and eccentric was wrong, fixed it, then fake acted it in episode 8, and although he was supposed to be cured of this flaw, somehow regained it in the past two episodes.

Subaru acting weird, doing poses, and interjecting jargons from our world are all part of his character. He knows he stands out like a sore thumb because of this and doesn't care for it. the second and third arc isn't about this character trait of his, he hasn't been cured of it or got cured of it and then regressed or whatever the fuck. Neither arcs about that. The second arc was him deciding it is not only Emilia he wanted to protect. What is happening in the last episode is the result of the fact that Subaru is living in a complete timeline from everyone else because he has experiences and memories of different lives and deaths. What might make sense in his eyes does not make sense to other people because they don't see what he saw. And then obvious there was the problem that he has been ignoring what Emilia says or wants because he is so worked up over the course of the first two arcs that he must be by her side to protect her.
Old 2016-06-26, 22:25   Link #2105
bakato

Quote:

In Ep11 and Ep12 we:

Didn't Subaru:

It's amazing how you've taken everything so grossly out of context to prove yourself right.

Nothing like that happened in episode 11. That was when Subaru was fighting for his life.

Episode 4: Making a fool of himself? He was always does that. It's his nature.

We are not repeating things. He did not LEARN anything. He vented once and resolved himself to save a specific person.

The cause of these incidents were different in every arc. In arc 1, he saved Emilia of his own will. In arc 2, he was targeted and forced to take action. There was nothing selfish about him. In this arc, it was completely his own fault. Emilia has been always been his light for the past 2 arcs. This is in fact his first time acting to protect her without an active threat.
Old 2016-06-26, 22:34   Link #2106
tsunade666

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuitUp View Post
Ok, 9 minutes in and I had to turn it off, too much akwardness on the screen, and now reading all the coments in here it seems Subaru only goes downhill from there... so ok, guess I'll just wait for the next ep or two to watch together with this one so as no to feel bad for the entire week waiting for the next one
If we judge the pacing of the events but the released titles for the next episodes...

Wait til episode 18. Arc 3 is just starting and it will be juicy

Ah. Its glorious but its rushed. But its still likeable. The bottom of the well is within sight but its still not there.
Old 2016-06-26, 22:40   Link #2107
BPD Renegade

I'm so glad Subaru got taken down some notches several times this episode. His behavior in the throne room was appalling, and his baseless arrogance had been becoming unbearable. After last week's episode, I was slightly worried this would go Owari no Seraph's route of idolizing the main character's arrogance and hero/martyr complex by rewarding his disobedience and desire to stick his nose in everything. Good to see this wasn't the case.

This series has been handling his characterization very well. The episode is clearly making him face the consequences of his actions and the true motives behind it, while also being sympathetic -- while he is to blame for his actions, his complex developed due to circumstance. It'll be interesting to see how he handles things from here.

I also really liked how twisted and lowlife his face became as he argued with Julius. It was like all of his feelings of jealousy, entitlement, and self-righteousness were coming to the surface and corrupting his usually selfless persona.

I wonder if these events will reset if he dies, or if the reset point will be further on, and he'll have to live with these consequences for the rest of his time there.
Old 2016-06-26, 23:04   Link #2108
Grifis
Eternal Dreamer

I skimmed through the silly royal selection thing. I no longer can take that part seriously anymore.

But I did spend time observing the lovers' progress, his desperation to prove himself worthy of her hand and her worries and care for him.

Then she got sensitive. His idealized view of her will drive her away because she lacks confidence and certainly would feel uncomfortable with any false expectation of her for she fears he may be disappointed to know the real her.

I see an upgrade in the level of intimacy. Instead of doing/saying nice things to each other on the surface, they can throw out some not so nice things beyond the facade as well.
Old 2016-06-26, 23:24   Link #2109
BPD Renegade

Quote:
Originally Posted by felix View Post
Rather then a learning experience, it's more of a disappointing reform or remake.

The series is pretty blatant when it comes to fixing Subaru by first shattering him into tiny bits then gluing him back together. This is what, the third time it happens? Usually character reform is a good thing, since it takes some character traits and enhances them or flips them, but in Subaru's case it's almost like we get a new Subaru, with no transition or anything that can be called learning. He's also a bit worse in some regard then before every time. I guess this is mainly done for the sake of developing the other characters, and I admit the other characters get very good character development, but it hits Subaru's development too hard.

If I were to choose between the current Subaru and the Subaru at day0, I find the current Subaru is actually a much weaker character then day0 Subaru.

Everyone is free to disagree, but for me that's at the core of my frustration with him. The series has literally made him worse. His ideals are worse, his personality is worse, his values are worse, his thinking is worse, etc

IMO it's pretty terrible characterization to do this switcheroo every time we need to move the story forward. Yeah so the new version of Subaru can now fix the problem, big deal! Why did we even get the other Subaru till that point then? He's suppose to be the protagonist, but he sure isn't treated as one. It's a complete betrays of what little hope the viewers put on the character, especially for a character like Subaru that's an inter-dimensional traveler. The new Subaru is also by consequence of the process a complete mess.

Worse still, most of the Subaru personality changing events are extremely "explosive" so they could literally happen at any point and don't really involve any character development. As evident by how Subaru has had the issue of being defenseless since day0 yet making no progress until the story now conveniently decides to drop a bomb shell to fix it. Same for his relationship with Emilia if anything, the current Subaru has continuously strived in making his relationship worse then day0 Subaru: love at first sight to now pervert stalker. I sincerely hope the story won't drop a bomb shell to fix that too.

Getting back to the switcheroo problem, assuming there's another arc after this how does everyone feel about the next upcoming Subaru being already an obsolete defective product?

It's particularly annoying when the other side characters (it's hard to call Emillia a main character honestly) do get the calm and collected treatment and dont have this problem. Even the change in the last arc where for story convenience Subaru suddenly goes from seemingly being a character fearing death to when convenient fearless of death to suddenly fearful of death again, is quite jarring. Especially when, this is something that WAS already resolved in the first arc! From a certain angle it was copy-pasta story telling with regard to Subaru's development. it's only the Ram & Rem bits that made it good. And if Subaru at the moment is suppose to still be extremely broken inside it's clearly not emphasized or conveyed properly.
I agree that the current Subaru is weaker than "Subaru Day0" as you put it, but I don't think this is the result of bad writing, rather, it's the result of clever characterization. I admit that I very much disliked Subaru last episode and this episode, but only up until he got cut down to size, because from the character expressions and dialogue, I could tell that the series was setting his character up for something.

Subaru at Day 0 hadn't been through the traumatic experiences he has been through in the past month. He was naive and ignorant of death, which allowed him to start out at a relatively clean emotional slate. If we were to draw a plot of time versus emotional state, I imagine it would be oscillatory and decreasing. You could say that he started at an emotional state of zero; however, this state became more negative the more he died and realized that all of the relationships and experiences he had with people, and all of the intimacy he developed with them, were things that only he could remember. Sure, he snaps himself out of his depression so that he can carry on, but never has it been implied that he truly ever recovered from the trauma. Rather, the impression has always been given that his cheeriness and optimism has been a facade to try to convince himself that he is okay. That he needs to do this is evidence in itself that he is not truly okay. Even last episode, we had someone comment about Subaru's eyes. In other words, the net gain in emotional state he achieved never matched the net loss, so he still is very much in the negative and "lesser" than he was when he first entered this world.

As for your opinion about protagonists, I have to wholly disagree. Where does it say that just because a character is a protagonist, he has to always be right and in control? In my opinion, a story about a flawed character is often superior to one where the character always wins without having to try, simply for being the lead.

Things don't always go up. Just because people learn as they progress doesn't mean they're never going to make the same mistakes again, or that their future mistakes will have less impact than their previous mistakes. In this respect, many shounen and shallower series spoil us, because the lead always becomes stronger as a result of experiences, and seldom do we see characters take more than one Fall and have to struggle against themselves more than once.

If you are looking for something where the protagonist only makes mistakes in the beginning and only hits a single low before becoming some badass god, it's probably best to look at other anime. While I don't know how this series will turn out, from these twelve episodes, it's unlikely that this will be what the series will turn into, and there's plenty else to offer from the spring season. Just look at Bungou Stray Dogs or any of the other generic offerings from the season.
Old 2016-06-27, 00:17   Link #2110
RX-78GP04G Gerbera
Whoosh!

Send a message via AIM to RX-78GP04G Gerbera Send a message via MSN to RX-78GP04G Gerbera Send a message via Yahoo to RX-78GP04G Gerbera

Quote:
Originally Posted by BPD Renegade View Post
I'm so glad Subaru got taken down some notches several times this episode. His behavior in the throne room was appalling, and his baseless arrogance had been becoming unbearable. After last week's episode, I was slightly worried this would go Owari no Seraph's route of idolizing the main character's arrogance and hero/martyr complex by rewarding his disobedience and desire to stick his nose in everything. Good to see this wasn't the case.

This series has been handling his characterization very well. The episode is clearly making him face the consequences of his actions and the true motives behind it, while also being sympathetic -- while he is to blame for his actions, his complex developed due to circumstance. It'll be interesting to see how he handles things from here.

I also really liked how twisted and lowlife his face became as he argued with Julius. It was like all of his feelings of jealousy, entitlement, and self-righteousness were coming to the surface and corrupting his usually selfless persona.

I wonder if these events will reset if he dies, or if the reset point will be further on, and he'll have to live with these consequences for the rest of his time there.
And considering how Emilia looked, I can't even begin to imagine how horrified Rem would have been if she were to witness any of that. I mean, this is supposed to be the guy who went through hell and back to save her and Ram after all, in more ways than one. x_x

Quote:
Originally Posted by BPD Renegade View Post
Even last episode, we had someone comment about Subaru's eyes. In other words, the net gain in emotional state he achieved never matched the net loss, so he still is very much in the negative and "lesser" than he was when he first entered this world.
Considering Subaru wasn't yet looking like a raving lunatic, one could only assume that the way he saw Subaru's eyes was like that of a fellow soldier, hence the PTSD angle. And we also can't forget that, aside from himself, Subaru has experienced death through Emilia, Rom, and Felt all having been killed in front of him, followed by seeing Rem having died, and then add on him trying to fix things and STILL failing and thus having to see one or more of them die yet again, all the while feeling helpless and hating himself for failing.

There are soldiers who come back from war as completely different people without having killed a single enemy, only having seen other people die, or even just the experience of being on the battlefield in general can be enough, so what Subaru is going through is something I doubt anyone could imagine going through themselves and coming out some shonen god-hero or something.
Old 2016-06-27, 00:23   Link #2111
larethian

For those who wants to enjoy the web radios, you can subscribe to this channel:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lCSU...P4LVGEVrvASbO6

This contains all the full versions.
Niconico live broadcasts a short (live) version on Monday night (episode 14 today).
It will be found in youtube normally later or the following day.
The long version will follow in a few days, or you can just wait for the user channel above to update.
The search text is: Re:ゼロから始める異世界ラジオ生活 (with a number for episode number if you can't wait for the long version or user channel to update).

Someone asked me so I posted.
Old 2016-06-27, 00:36   Link #2112
Nicaea

We finally get an mc that the author doesn't specify try to present as gods greatest gift, and you guys still find ways to blame the mc for his development. Just wow .

He'll probably is going to have to find a new purpose in life. I wonder if we'll get another scene of him standing in front of that apple shop, like a strange full circle.
Old 2016-06-27, 01:56   Link #2113
Cicili

Quote:
Originally Posted by tsunade666 View Post
If we judge the pacing of the events but the released titles for the next episodes...

Wait til episode 18. Arc 3 is just starting and it will be juicy

Ah. Its glorious but its rushed. But its still likeable. The bottom of the well is within sight but its still not there.
I'm not sure "looking forward to" would be what i'd want to be feeling right now.

I'm scared to see the suffering in this arc in animated form.
Old 2016-06-27, 04:17   Link #2114
Traece
:cool:

Quote:
Originally Posted by RX-78GP04G Gerbera View Post
And considering how Emilia looked, I can't even begin to imagine how horrified Rem would have been if she were to witness any of that. I mean, this is supposed to be the guy who went through hell and back to save her and Ram after all, in more ways than one. x_x
Rem would never have had that conversation with Subaru, because neither her nor the other members of the cast have such blatant mistrust and disrespect for Subaru. That's the difference between Emilia and the rest of them, and it's the flaw of her character. She doesn't listen to other people, and she doesn't trust other people. She's even been shown to disregard Puck, despite her claiming that she has such a strong bond with him. It would be easy to justify some of her attitude toward Subaru, but the problem is in how alone she is in this. Subaru wears his flaws and his nature on his sleeve, and yet he fosters bonds and relationships with just about everybody he meets. She knows precisely what kind of person he is, and he has so few secrets beyond the ones he literally is incapable of telling, but yet she's so surprised by everything he does. She commented about the image Subaru must have of her in his mind, but I really wonder what kind of image she had of him. It must be a very strange image.

What I liked most about this episode is what it showed about her character as she tried to berate him. We already knew Subaru was selfish and that he was blinded to reality by the events that had transpired, and that he seems to struggle to fully differentiate premortem events from what is happening in his present path. Emilia's faults haven't been nearly as blatant, and so we're getting a real look at what kind of person she really is. In some ways she's very much like Subaru in the way she treated him, and in some ways she's like an antithesis of him in the way she treats people in general and in her naivete.

Last edited by Traece; 2016-06-27 at 07:31.
Old 2016-06-27, 04:46   Link #2115
Brother Coa
Banned

Wow, so much debating about Subaru.... 0_0

I didn't watch episode 13 yet but from the reaction of everyone here I can tell that he messed up big time... But it's ok, it's not like he didn't do that previously.

In the end I can only tell you one thing about him - he is an idiot. And people like him tend to get into those kind of situations over and over again.

He does makes some same mistakes here and there but I think me is improving little by little.
Old 2016-06-27, 04:55   Link #2116
IceHism

Nice episode. Someone I know was just telling me about how cringey he found this episode but it wouldn't be rezero if poor mc-kun isn't suffering.

I don't really find the politics here that interesting as they didn't really explain what was going to happen during the royal selection and it seems like they omitted a lot of details for now to fit the episode length anyways. But this series is more about the characters rather than the plot so I sort of feel like the details don't matter too much.
I think what I like most about this episode is seeing Emilia's reactions to all the things Subaru does and the resulting convseration at the end. She showed a lot of self-respect for herself and I'd think any guy would crack from that kind of speech if someone they liked said that to them with how she couldn't trust him and to ask for a clean break. That part was just so great
Old 2016-06-27, 05:27   Link #2117
Cicili

Quote:
Originally Posted by Traece View Post

What I liked most about this episode is what it showed about her character as she tried to berate him. We already knew Subaru was selfish and that he was blinded to reality by the events that had transpired, and that he seems to struggle to fully differentiate posthumous events from what is happening in his present path. Emilia's faults haven't been nearly as blatant, and so we're getting a real look at what kind of person she really is. In some ways she's very much like Subaru in the way she treated him, and in some ways she's like an antithesis of him in the way she treats people in general and in her naivete.
You're pretty observant. Despite Subaru quite honestly deserving everything he had gotten. Emilia isn't someone without some character flaws too. (But i guess you would be able to guess why she ended up that way if you try to imagine her past)

I've once heard 1 LN reader comment that the only people in this show who aren't crazy are probably Felt and Puck.
Old 2016-06-27, 07:26   Link #2118
BWTraveller
Born to ship

I seriously hope Subaru's jump-back point comes before that blow-up, preferably before he shows up at the conference. I desperately want him to be able to redo these scenes. There have to be better ways of dealing with the situation. And whether it's PTSD or whatever, he needs to fix his severe arrogance that just showed up. He suddenly declared himself to be a superhero who's saved the day repeatedly and is solely responsible for things turning out well. That's not cool, as some have mentioned. Also, there would be better ways to address his interest in Emilia. Maybe say that he is doing things for his own sake because he's seen her in danger and he doesn't want to see that again. Or when she complains that he won't treat her like everyone else, maybe follow up by telling her the aspects of who she is that makes it impossible for him to treat her like everyone else, like how she seems hopelessly helpful, but too stubborn and dishonest to admit when she's trying to do something for someone else, or the way her smile lights up the room for him. At the very least this would assure her that he's not treating her like a poor half-elf, or an important heiress to the throne, or anything like that, but rather just a normal girl whose feelings and personality make her important to him and make him want to see her go as far as she can go. Sure, there's plenty he can't say, and he can't explain to anyone how much gratitude he has for them or how desperate he is to make things right, but there's ways to say things that would do a lot better than what he has said.
Old 2016-06-27, 08:47   Link #2119
FlameSparkZ
the "Z" is for "Zeta"

I'm starting to get the feeling that Subaru is basically a deconstruction of MCs.

By "default", most MCs can solve any problem that they run into regardless of it being related to them or not. Usually solves said problems with sheer willpower, by awakening to an unique ability or with the power of friendship/love.
Even if the MC argues and/or ruins a relationship with another character, it'll get solved either by a heroic rescue, or by one side realizing that they were at fault...and after that, they never argue with the same character again (but a similar issue may happen with a different character).
They mature quickly and learn from past mistakes, never repeating them.

As you can see, Subaru may share some of these traits, but he doesn't learn from them right away.

I think the author is trying to portray Subaru as a more "human" MC: someone who isn't perfect. Someone who can't control his emotions, is hotheaded, easily provoked, acts on impulse, tends to break under pressure and when he's wrong, he twists logic and facts so he'll be right...the list goes on

Subaru may have hit rock bottom, but he might still be able to right his wrongs.
Old 2016-06-27, 10:34   Link #2120
Dragon_Slayer_X

The only problem is the Subaru 2 episodes ago could have at least used his head and avoided the situation. Did he even learn anything from those 11 episodes? Even if he did that development was rather non-existent in this particular episode.

Deconstruction of MCs has been done in FSN and Index NT as well. It's just that the character degradation felt rather inconsistent even taking PSTD into account.
Closed Thread

Tags
drama, fantasy