AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > General > General Chat

Notices

Old 2007-07-26, 23:16   Link #1
witchking99
Lord Of Spoils

Beowulf (2007) You Must See This!!

Has anyone seen the trailer for this movie scheduled to release in November 16.If not take a look and tell me if those aren't the most realistic 3D CGI you have ever seen.YES!! the movie is in animation but you gotta take a look at that trailer.I still can't believe this is not live action.Here's the link:

http://www.apple.com/trailers/paramo...ulf/large.html
witchking99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-07-26, 23:25   Link #2
Risaa
Evil Little Pixie

Send a message via AIM to Risaa
Hmm? I could tell immediately that it was all CG, and not because you said so. But there are certain times when the people look real (most of the time they still look like CG to me though) so I will give you that. It's neat that the characters look just like their real counterparts.... Sorry to rain on your parade.. D:

In other news, the name "Beowulf" reminds me of the Let's Build A Snowman Song from Cannibalism The Musical.... I wonder if anyone will get that. D:
Risaa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-07-27, 00:11   Link #3
OutPhase
Lord Chairman God King

Send a message via AIM to OutPhase
Hopefully it won't suck like that other movie adaption of Beowulf I have seen.
OutPhase is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-07-27, 01:01   Link #4
Royal_Devil
Powder Hunter

Neil Gaiman wrote the script so I have high hopes for this.
Royal_Devil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-07-27, 12:25   Link #5
Jinto
Asuki-tan Kairin ↓

To me it looked all the time like CG, because the character animation is still very unnatural and there are few environmental caustics and advanced lightning effects. The hair behaves/moves strange. Facial expressions lack details... strange flame effects... not enough grain and roughness (looks too clean).

Basically quite good for an animation (if this was in game graphic I'ld buy the game ). As a movie though...
Old 2007-07-27, 18:05   Link #6
Zanejin
*Fansubber

It's obviously CG, but that won't deter me from seeing this. At least it'll clarify some things before I learn to read the original Old English text.
Old 2007-07-27, 19:06   Link #7
Vexx
Obey the Darkly Cute ...
*Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by Razer_2mb View Post
Hopefully it won't suck like that other movie adaption of Beowulf I have seen.
Perhaps they might actually use something related to the Actual Damn Story instead just leeching the name this time???
Old 2007-07-27, 19:46   Link #8
WanderingKnight
Gregory House
*IT Support

Send a message via MSN to WanderingKnight
I wonder, if they're just gonna use exact copies of the actors as models... why the heck the CG?

Place them in a box until a quieter time | Lights down, you up and die.

Last edited by WanderingKnight; 2007-07-28 at 00:06.
WanderingKnight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-07-27, 19:53   Link #9
Gundam Zero Force

Quote:
To me it looked all the time like CG, because the character animation is still very unnatural and there are few environmental caustics and advanced lightning effects. The hair behaves/moves strange. Facial expressions lack details... strange flame effects... not enough grain and roughness (looks too clean).
Spoken like a true 3D Modeler lol, I don't know if you are one but I am, and I see the exact same details you noticed . . . . .
Gundam Zero Force is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-07-28, 10:06   Link #10
Spectacular_Insanity
Ha ha ha ha ha...
*Graphic Designer

Beowulf as a movie adaption? I dunno, sounds like a bad idea to me. I've read the book, and I liked it, but turning it into a movie? Sounds like others have said: they're just stealing the name to make a shitty movie sound impressive when it's really not. However, it might be the beast's mother that Angelina Jolie is playing. I dunno, though.

The graphics are poor compared to other stuff I've seen. I've seen better.
Old 2007-07-29, 00:44   Link #11
OutPhase
Lord Chairman God King

Send a message via AIM to OutPhase
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vexx View Post
Perhaps they might actually use something related to the Actual Damn Story instead just leeching the name this time???
Fingers crossed this time.
OutPhase is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-11-25, 06:35   Link #12
TinyRedLeaf
Moving in circles

So I finally got around to watching this. I went in with no expectations (or rather, very low expectations) and came out pleasantly surprised.

(1)
The CG, while impressive, is hardly realistic, for the same reasons that Jinto Lin had pointed out. Some movements were too unnatural and other surfaces too "clean" and "shiny" to be real. But the animation work on some characters, particularly Anthony Hopkin's character (the King) was top-class and worth emulating, I felt.

Not for the first time, movies like these make me wonder why people try so hard to achieve "photo-realism". Animation is not meant to be realistic. If you're going to work so hard to make it "real", you might as well shoot it in live-action. I'm sure it would have been easier (if not cheaper) to make this movie with real actors. In fact, given the screenplay, this movie might actually have been very good.

(2)
That's right. The screenplay was actually quite good. Gaiman's touch can be clearly felt (although it's not Gaiman at his best. He's done a lot better on other stuff.) The latter half of the movie is an original adaptation, and I felt it humanised Beowulf's character quite well. Had there been a bit more time, and perhaps with the benefit of live acting, this movie could have been an epic fantasy.

But as it stands, it's merely an ok story, made remarkable only by the extensive use of CG wizardy.

Still, it's not a waste of time. Not fantastic, but not bad either.
TinyRedLeaf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-11-25, 07:59   Link #13
arcadeplayer987

Great movie but that trailer link is not working
arcadeplayer987 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-11-26, 00:11   Link #14
Vexx
Obey the Darkly Cute ...
*Author

They're apparently going to use this technique on an upcoming World of Warcraft movie. Sadly, I got much less interested when they said the movie is planned to be mostly from the Alliance perspective (Long Live the Horde, yadayada).

I give the film a lot of points for Actually Following The Damn Story To Some Extent. It is a great story to start with and doesn't need any 'movie exec diddling'
Old 2007-11-26, 00:24   Link #15
Aoie_Emesai
♪♫ Maya Iincho ♩♬
*Artist

Send a message via Yahoo to Aoie_Emesai
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vexx View Post
They're apparently going to use this technique on an upcoming World of Warcraft movie. Sadly, I got much less interested when they said the movie is planned to be mostly from the Alliance perspective (Long Live the Horde, yadayada).

I give the film a lot of points for Actually Following The Damn Story To Some Extent. It is a great story to start with and doesn't need any 'movie exec diddling'
Gay! I was a horde in the WOW game anyway >.<. From what my cousin said, it's only worth watching in the IMAX.

How to Give / Receive Criticism on your work / Like to draw? Come join Artists Alike
Visit my Deviantart Or Blog ~A Child should always surpass his/her parent, Remember.
Aoie_Emesai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-11-26, 01:12   Link #16
pyro_dragun
No Dodgy

PROTIP: Angelina Jolie or the CG version gets nude in this movie.
pyro_dragun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-11-26, 01:36   Link #17
TinyRedLeaf
Moving in circles

Which is no big deal. She looked so plastic and gold chrome-plated that it was hardly a turn-on. But I guess that wouldn't stop some people from fantasising.

[She's appeared in the nude (for real) in other movies, eg, Pushing Tin (1999). Go watch those if you're in need of a real fix.]

Curiously enough, Angelina's appearance in this movie further convinces me that she only looks good, but she can't act. She's also probably very physically fit, which makes her a good choice for action roles. But as a character actor, Angelina has a long way to go (assuming that she wants to be a serious actor in the first place).
TinyRedLeaf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-11-26, 06:52   Link #18
Shinoto
Rollin' Like A Boss

From what I heard the Movie itself...is pretty much crap to bearable. But the going to see it in the Imax is Epic.
But the thing most people have been saying about it...Has been if this looks that good in 3D. Fear how Epic Cameron's Avatar is going to be
Old 2007-11-26, 07:40   Link #19
Fynal_Fyre
Inactive Member

Well, the movie to me at least, was pretty damn good, CGI-wise, at least..

CGI WISE: CGI saved this movie, seriously, I may not exactly agree that some actions were a bit exaggerated, I felt every character moved in a pretty realistic way....And, well, that and nowadays, in most games, I play, bloom lighting is so overdone that everything looks shiny, maybe it's just me, and I'm used to it by now...

As for the screenplay.....

It's a 3189 line epic, I give them credit for just squeezing it down...

Although they did alter the ending, which IIRC, involves Beowulf being buried after his cremation, along with the dragon's treasure.
Fynal_Fyre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-11-26, 10:04   Link #20
Diaboso
we girls arnt safe!
*Artist

saw it in 3D

I thought is was a great movie and it barely deviated from the book

Spoiler for for a spoiler du:
Diaboso is offline   Reply With Quote