AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Sword Art Online > Past SAO Anime

Notices

View Poll Results: Critique of Episode 07
10 out of 10: Near Perfect... 35 23.33%
9 out of 10: Excellent... 49 32.67%
8 out of 10: Very Good... 37 24.67%
7 out of 10: Good... 14 9.33%
6 out of 10: Average... 5 3.33%
5 out of 10: Below Average... 2 1.33%
4 out of 10: Poor... 2 1.33%
3 out of 10: Bad... 2 1.33%
2 out of 10: Very Bad... 1 0.67%
1 out of 10: Torturous... 3 2.00%
Voters: 150. You may not vote on this poll

Old 2012-08-19, 17:13   Link #161
Triple_R
*Author

Send a message via AIM to Triple_R
A few points on recent posts...

At the end of day, SAO is entertainment, as pretty much all anime is. Now, with many pieces of entertainment, a certain degree of realism helps the overall entertainment value (by making the show more immersive, by making it easier to suspend our disbelief, etc...). On the other hand, you can have too much realism, if it gets in the way of basic entertainment value.

So anime should, generally speaking, seek to balance realism with what's most entertaining in the moment. Not enough realism, and we'd have clearers acting like Leeroy Jenkins. Sure, that might be flashier and "more fun" in the moment, but it would be incredibly unrealistic given the circumstances. It would take a lot of viewers out of the story.

On the other hand, I don't accept "realism" as an excuse for being downright boring. At that point, too much emphasis is being put on realism.

I think there's a happy medium between the clearers acting like Leeroy Jenkins, and the clearers all being super-prepared and winning easily. There's a happy medium where it's realistic enough but it's also entertaining enough.

Now, I never had a problem with this episode's action scenes, and I thought they were very nice. Sometimes you can make up for an one-sided fight with sheer spectacle, and I think that happened here (was I honestly the only one on this thread that loved that "sky full of sunlight" shot of Kirito and Liz in mid-flight?)

On the other hand, I hope that any future boss battles are as interesting as the one from Episode 2. I want them to be actual struggles, and not glorified mop-up operations. And there's no good reason why they shouldn't be actual struggles, imo.
Old 2012-08-19, 17:20   Link #162
jpwong

Quote:
Originally Posted by kujoe View Post
Considering that Kirito's current sword in this episode is the same one featured in the opening, I would've liked to see how he got it. Lizbeth's description of the sword seems to hint at its status (a demon sword) as a special drop from a special monster of sorts, and I think it's unfortunate that this sword suddenly appears out of the blue in Kirito's hand, at the begining of this episode. Hopefully, a flashback one day...?
If you're interested in knowing where it's from, you can probably get an answer in the QA thread. I've heard that the sword's origin was revealed the yet to be translated volume 10 of the light novel.
jpwong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-08-19, 17:34   Link #163
KleenexGhost
Riding the Ange Express

This was a good episode. I'm glad to see them not falling into the usual harem setup with girls that are attracted to Kirito.

The shot of the of the landscape when Kirito and Liz were airborne was beautiful.

Poor Liz. I like her character, but the girl never really had a chance. Oh well, glad they got it out of the way instead of dragging it on. Hope to see more of her.

I'm guessing we're gonna be in for an action heavy episode next week judging by the title.
Old 2012-08-19, 19:03   Link #164
Clarste
Human

Quote:
Originally Posted by Triple_R View Post
On the other hand, I don't accept "realism" as an excuse for being downright boring. At that point, too much emphasis is being put on realism.

I think there's a happy medium between the clearers acting like Leeroy Jenkins, and the clearers all being super-prepared and winning easily. There's a happy medium where it's realistic enough but it's also entertaining enough.
Being super-prepared isn't the same thing as winning easily. And I know you just said you didn't care about realism, but realistically speaking they can't be super-prepared because they don't know what's going to happen until they fight since they have no more beta knowledge and can't afford to wipe, ever. It just means that it's sense of long tension and hoping the boss doesn't go berserk in critical or something and kill everyone.

Quote:
On the other hand, I hope that any future boss battles are as interesting as the one from Episode 2. I want them to be actual struggles, and not glorified mop-up operations. And there's no good reason why they shouldn't be actual struggles, imo.
The tension would be mental more than anything else. Honestly, video games don't translate into action series very well.
Clarste is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-08-19, 19:20   Link #165
Eratas123

If only making a sword was that easy in real life I wonder if this is a 12 or 24 episode anime.
Old 2012-08-19, 19:31   Link #166
Ray
Garnet

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eratas123 View Post
If only making a sword was that easy in real life I wonder if this is a 12 or 24 episode anime.
Just carefully hit the ingot a few times, and poof, you've got yourself a nice looking sword. :>

SAO is a 2-cour anime (24 episodes).
Ray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-08-19, 19:33   Link #167
NoemiChan
Banned

Send a message via Yahoo to NoemiChan
Quote:
It could be shortened in one flash back...
NoemiChan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-08-19, 20:59   Link #168
germanturkey
Udon-YAAAAAAAA

man, you could feel the effects of Sachi all over this ep. entertaining episode!

Blessed are those who listen to headphones, for they listen to the sound of heaven.
germanturkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-08-19, 21:07   Link #169
Irenicus
Le fou, c'est moi

My, my, Kirito pulled a spectacular Morning Glory skydive.

If Asuna knows Lizbeth had the privilege instead of her, she'd PK her best friend in a heartbeat. "What do you mean you confessed to him right then, sister?"

I've got to admit though, her crush developed -- and fell apart -- awkwardly quick. Warm hands -> epic confession -> belated rejection, all in the span of approximately ten minutes of viewing time. I also had a bit of a problem over Kirito's "I learned the value of living" response because it wasn't foreshadowed properly, or, well, at all.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Triple_R
(was I honestly the only one on this thread that loved that "sky full of sunlight" shot of Kirito and Liz in mid-flight?)
Count me in.
Irenicus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-08-19, 21:22   Link #170
Sixth
Hu Tao

Quote:
If Asuna knows Lizbeth had the privilege instead of her, she'd PK her best friend in a heartbeat. "What do you mean you confessed to him right then, sister?"
Asuna definitely will use her knowledge of pking that she learned from murder case wisely on Lisbeth. LOL
Sixth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-08-19, 21:32   Link #171
M1sFyr3
I eat babies

Quote:
Originally Posted by noobita View Post
Asuna definitely will use her knowledge of pking that she learned from murder case wisely on Lisbeth. LOL
Lol, fake suicide along with Kirito, make her go crazy and visit grave, dress up like ghosts, then PK her.
Old 2012-08-19, 21:54   Link #172
Utsuro no Hako

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerseykid View Post
Stupid anime rules preventing Kirito from getting both Liz and Asuna
He plays MMOs, not VNs.

Quote:
Originally Posted by M1sFyr3 View Post
I am confused how Kirito's and Liz's health bars were both at about the same level despite Kirito's level being a lot higher, including his healing and health, as seen from him surviving the yellow group gank in a previous episode.
As others have noted, he actually was in the red when he drank the potion, but also notice that he placed himself under Liz as they fell so he'd take the brunt of the impact.
Utsuro no Hako is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-08-19, 21:57   Link #173
relentlessflame

*Administrator

So Japanese blog Yaraon compiled a collection of Tweets from the original author about the current episode, and two minor but interesting points related to some of the previous discussion in the thread:

Spoiler for Information from Author's Twitter account, no future event spoilers:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Utsuro no Hako View Post
As others have noted, he actually was in the red when he drank the potion, but also notice that he placed himself under Liz as they fell so he'd take the brunt of the impact.
Yeah, that was my interpretation of the scene as well -- he took the brunt of the impact, hence took more damage. Since it brought him to the red (and he's a higher level), we can assume that she may not have been able to survive the fall otherwise.
Old 2012-08-19, 23:26   Link #174
larethian

Quote:
Originally Posted by relentlessflame View Post
So Japanese blog Yaraon compiled a collection of Tweets from the original author about the current episode, and two minor but interesting points related to some of the previous discussion in the thread:

Spoiler for Information from Author's Twitter account, no future event spoilers:

Yeah, that was my interpretation of the scene as well -- he took the brunt of the impact, hence took more damage. Since it brought him to the red (and he's a higher level), we can assume that she may not have been able to survive the fall otherwise.
nice! I just give it a quick glance and found a few other relevant stuff. there's not really that much future spoilers except for one which won't make any sense to non-novel readers anyway.
Spoilers
Spoiler for other relevant stuff in blog which shouldn't be future events
Sorry; dynamic content not loaded. Reload?
larethian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-08-20, 00:10   Link #175
Eratas123

What's up with the pic Lizbeth keeps looking at? Is that supposed be an old guild or something?
Old 2012-08-20, 00:51   Link #176
Deltaray

Quote:
What's up with the pic Lizbeth keeps looking at? Is that supposed be an old guild or something?
It mainly there as a memory to reflect upon before she had enough money to buy her shop.
Deltaray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-08-20, 01:00   Link #177
supermegasonic

Quote:
A few points on recent posts...

At the end of day, SAO is entertainment, as pretty much all anime is. Now, with many pieces of entertainment, a certain degree of realism helps the overall entertainment value (by making the show more immersive, by making it easier to suspend our disbelief, etc...). On the other hand, you can have too much realism, if it gets in the way of basic entertainment value.

So anime should, generally speaking, seek to balance realism with what's most entertaining in the moment. Not enough realism, and we'd have clearers acting like Leeroy Jenkins. Sure, that might be flashier and "more fun" in the moment, but it would be incredibly unrealistic given the circumstances. It would take a lot of viewers out of the story.

Now, I never had a problem with this episode's action scenes, and I thought they were very nice. Sometimes you can make up for an one-sided fight with sheer spectacle, and I think that happened here (was I honestly the only one on this thread that loved that "sky full of sunlight" shot of Kirito and Liz in mid-flight?)

i agree, for a anime thats based on a game, we havnet seen that much action. and that skyshot was just slendid, glad i DL'ed the episode for this.
Old 2012-08-20, 01:02   Link #178
Trajan
Six Shooter

Quote:
Originally Posted by relentlessflame View Post

Spoiler for response to author explanation:

Last edited by Trajan; 2012-08-20 at 02:03.
Trajan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-08-20, 01:07   Link #179
relentlessflame

*Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trajan View Post
Spoiler for response to author explanation:
Spoiler for Continuing conversation about author's notes:
Old 2012-08-20, 01:10   Link #180
Anh_Minh
I disagree with you all.

Spoiler for answer: