AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Related Topics > General Anime

Notices

Old 2006-04-10, 12:59   Link #1
Scribble
Sloth

Send a message via MSN to Scribble
Post The Spring 2006 Anime Review Thread

Rate the new Spring anime you have seen and describe why you liked or disliked it. Use this format:

Title: Title of anime i.e. Yume Tsukai
Rating: A+ - F grading system, i.e. D+ or C+ or B-
Episodes Viewed: Episodes you have seen. i.e. 1-2
(Description goes here. i.e. I disliked Yume Tsukai because it strayed from the manga)

Here are mine:

Title:
Kiba
Rating: C+
Episodes Viewed: 1
Kiba's first episode wasn't anything special, but it was an indicator that it may not be the overly typical shounen adventure I thought it would be. The dark tones reminded me a little of FMA, and I really hope it goes in that direction.

Title: Nana
Rating: B
I found Parakiss too serious and boring at times, and I thought I would be in for the same kind of thing with Nana. This was not the case! I adore the relationship between the two Nanas, and their two complete opposite personalities makes me wonder what will come out of their friendship. I like having at least one realistic anime to follow every season, and this is just perfect.

Title: Digimon Savers
Rating: D
I've never liked Digimon, but I thought I'd give this a chance since there aren't that many shounen adventurish anime this season. I couldn't even make it to the end of the episode due to the horrible animation and designs. I do like one thing about Digimon though, and that's the whole digivolving thing. I may give it another try because of that.

Title: Suzumiya Haruhi no Yuutsu
Rating: A
Wow, this actually made me laugh out loud. I usually find comedy anime very tedious to watch (PPD and Excel Saga anyone?) but it was just amazing how kyoto animation managed to make the amateur film so amateur. I love the ED too!

Have fun!
Scribble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-04-11, 12:03   Link #2
Orchunter226
Is rather bored...

Title: Air Gear
Rating: C
Episodes Viewed: 2

I thought this was a good start to the anime. It had enough action and story development to keep me hooked. I started to like the main character and I liked the comedy he brought. Overall not bad. After the second ep. the music got bothersome, and the chars kinda got annoying, but still not to bad.

On a side not: I never have read the Manga. So, I have no preconceived hype of what is going to happen, what could happen, and what should happen. So if you have not the read the Manga, I think you will like this one more.

Title: KIBA

This series is reminds me of FMA a lot and It is beginning to catch me. I like the portrayal of the two worlds and the fights are interesting. I'll keep watching for now.

Title: Utawarerumono
Rating: A+

I loved this first episode. It had a perfect mix of everything (glad they kept the action down in first ep. gives better pacing imo) and I really felt for the main characters. The animation and music are exceptional as well. Plus, I think I am an Eruruu fanboy because dang she is cute .

Edit: Further reviewing

Last edited by Orchunter226; 2006-04-14 at 20:50.
Orchunter226 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-04-11, 19:05   Link #3
Pakxenon
popcorn

Nifty system. I like this thread. ^^

Rating: C *NEW*C
Episodes viewed: 1 *NEW*9
I don't know why they decided to shove 2 episodes' worth into 1. They introduced the story too fast instead of setting a foundation, and everything was haywire. The only good thing was the chase sequence.
*NEW*Addicting action. Following it for fun.

Rating: B *NEW*dropped
Episodes viewed: 1 *NEW*6
This starts off promising. I LOVE the background art, and they made the mood of the episode very dark in contrast to the lighter side of the other world. Should be a good shounen series.
*NEW*Lost interest.

Title: Ouran High School Host Club
Rating: A *NEW*B+
Episodes viewed: 1 *NEW*12
Hilarious. I'm turning into a fangirl already... but I'm a boy so...
*NEW*Quite hilarious. One of two Haruhis...

Title: School Rumble Second Semester
Rating: A *NEW*C+
Episodes viewed: 1 *NEW*9
Yes! I rushed through the first season the week before the first episode was released so I could catch up. XD
*NEW*Not as funny as the first season, and it's starting to get on my nerves. The only good part was the Battle Royale.

Title: Soul Link
Rating: C *NEW*dropped
Episodes viewed: 1 *NEW*3
The first episode was boring. The second episode looks boring. I'm still keeping it because it's from NAVEL, though.

Title: Strawberry Panic
Rating: C+ *NEW*dropped
Episodes viewed: 1 *NE*3
I simply don't like the setting and colours used in the episode. It's too fuzzy to me. It starts off interesting, however.
*NEW*Lost interest.

Title: ZEGAPAIN
Rating: B- *NEW*dropped
Episodes viewed: 1 *NEW*1
Another Sunrise production. Unfortunately, Mai-Otome's first episode is better than this one. I'm still left a little confused over what's going to happen.
*NEW*Lost interest. Omni's praising it, though...

Title: Utewarerumono
Rating: B *NEW*B+
Episodes viewed: 1 *NEW*12
Seems interesting so far. I'm not one for harem (especially after a dose of 2 series of the genre), but the main character is pretty interesting so far. The OP showed WAY too many characters that I don't know what I'm going to expect. Moe factor goes to Eruruu and Aruruu, though.
*NEW*Nice story and action sequences. It stereotypes the villians too much, though.

Title: The Melancholy Of Suzumiya Haruhi
Rating: A++++++++++++ *NEW*++++++++++++++++++++++++++
Episodes viewed: 2 *NEW*14
Rating says all. I'm going to rewatch this until the next episode comes out, then rewatch it again and again and.....
*NEW*...

*NEW*
Title: Higurashi no Naku Koro ni
Episodes viewed: 9
WOW I picked it up to see why this show got it's own forum. I CRAPPED MY PANTS in the first arc. The second and third arc are a little boring, though.

Last edited by Pakxenon; 2006-07-02 at 06:09.
Pakxenon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-04-11, 19:29   Link #4
Sorrow-K
Somehow I found out

Sounds like a fun idea.

Title: ARIA the Natural
Rating: A-
Episodes viewed: 1
More of the cute gondiliers and pleasant atmosphere that made the first series so enjoyable, ARIA's second outing has certainly started on the right foot with a wonderful episode that ranks among the best I've seen from this franchise.

Title: School Rumble 2
Another sequel. Another case of fans-of-the-first-series-will-know-what-to-expect. Another case of a very strong first episode.

I was a tad disappointed with Paradise Kiss... it's pacing wasn't great and it's main characters weren't as likable as I wished they were. That's certainly not the case here though. Nana has presented a very likable main duo, as well as some great directing and a very entertaining premise-setting first episode. Early days to call a winner, but I'm certainly betting on this out-performing Paradise Kiss.

Rather generic outing and a premise built on tired-and-true plot devices as opposed to intriguing characters. I am hoping this will be better, since I've been predicting for a while that the visual novel genre is about to do some really special things, so I have my eye on this. But I can't say I was impressed by the first episode.

Rating: B+
Wow... where did this come from? Brilliant opening episode with perfect pacing that had me from bored and unimpressed at the beginning to completely fascinated and intrigued by episode's end. It's a unique style of humour... but once you "get" it, it's a winner. Add in some very intriguing characters, and this has all the elements to turn into a hit.

Title: The Melancholy of Haruhi Suzumiya
Episodes viewed: 2
What can I say? This is just so intensely unique and intriguing it's almost unbelievable. It's been ages since I've seen a comedy with so much raw wit and ages since I've been so intrigued by such an eccentric main character. Add in superb directing, absolute topnotch animation and a fascinating concept, and I think this thing is odds on favourite to be a hit. But just with the amount of uniqueness it's shown in its first two episodes, I can't help but speculate that this could end up being a rare gem of an anime.
Sorrow-K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-04-11, 20:57   Link #5
Keitarou
Ninja

Hmm, let's try it, though a view just on the first 1-2 episodes doesn't do most shows justice, thus I'll edit my scores later on, after 3-4 episodes, that's in most cases enough for a somewhat clearer result.

Title: Suzumiya Haruhi no Yuuutsu Winner!
Episodes Viewed: 4

First episode is a brilliant move and shows off the high production values. Great characters and style and some good comedy scenes. Music is pretty good as well and I really like the opening/ending of it. Overall this is so far my favourite show of this season and perhaps even of the last few years. :)

Episodes Viewed: 3

Great as expected. Opening is a highlight, good ending and music. First episode shows good pacing and starts with an interesting choice which should make most people hooked on it.

This one caught me by surprise. Not knowing the manga I expected a title worthy of the BL season we have, but it's quite different from that. Actually it's a great shoujo comedy/parody, with funny characters and a good (fe)male lead. Animation and designs are a highlight as is the voice-acting.

Title: Juuousei

And another surprise, intersestinly also a shoujo done by BONES. First episode got me for sure hooked and is pretty good in every aspect.

Title: Simoun

Expected a good title based on description and got an interesting title with outstanding design. Great stills and landscapes making it pleasant to watch and a story which already progresses a lot in episode one. It also seems to hold back on invincibility.

Title: School Rumble 2nd Term

The manga belongs to my favourites, the anime didn't disappoint and the second season is just as great. :)

Title: .hack//Roots

I liked .hack//Sign a lot, not as much the Udeden thingie, but that one gets back to its roots. Only thing missing is Yuki Kajiura's great score. :(

Title: Aria The Natural
Rating: B-

Continues where the first one left off. Still as nice.

Title: Zegapain

A mecha by sunrise? That must suck, but the first episode is actually quite good, nice animation and designs and a seemingly interesting story.

Title: xxxHOLiC

The manga is good, the anime is just as good. Lacking on music though.

Another good game by Leaf and anime is nice, nothing outstanding but solid animation and music and overall just enjoyable.

I'm not exactly keen on the style and topic, but it's quite enjoyable and probably even a must see.

Title: Yoshinaga-san'chi no Gargoyle

Enjoyable, got a Mahoraba feel of it.

Title: Yume Tsukai

First episode doesn't do the manga just. I'm still hoping for the manga style to take over. Aside from that a great Ayako Kawasumi, who gives the show a bonus. :)

Rating: C-

Not the hit I expected it to be, the manga had somehow style, as anime conversion it doesn't manage as good. Yuri gives a bonus.

Title: Glass no Kantai

LoGH rip-off? Yeah, pretty much. Animation could be much better. Aside from that it's promising.

Title: Ray The Animation

Weaker than the manga and I expected better animation.

Title: Magipoka

It was quite funny, the character designs don't please me and the G-On Riders look reminds me of bad things.

Expected far more since the game was quite good, anime has bad animation (which just gets more ridicolous with every new episode) and music and doesn't do the game justice so far. At least in episode 3 and 4 we get finally the things I expected, now if they could shape up the animation it could have a quite enjoyable second half. Seriously, especially after Haruhu, Ouran, Juuousei and the rest the static animation with horrible cg (not even blended in) of this one makes me puke...

Title: Joshikousei

Manga's quite funny, the anime is lacking something, dunno.

Title: Inukami!
Rating: D+

Quite perverted anime here, next episodes won't be better according to its homepage. Yui Horie is a win though. Second episode crosses the boarder of sick. Toilet humour isn't really appreciated by me and this can be classified as such.

Title: Black Lagoon

The animation looks pretty good but that's it for the most part.

Title: The Third

I like the main lead, Megumi Toyoguchi (Mimiru/Tabby .hack//Sign&Roots) does a good job. Show itself didn't manage on many points.

Title: Makai Senki Disgaea

Got through a lot of changes, most fans of the game will be displeased and it doesn't offer that much for the rest of the crowd.

Title: Kiba

Could be interesting, but is just a show to sell a few toys and stuff.

Not as good as Frontier which offered a lot of new aspects but about as enjoyable as every other shounen thingie. Guess I'll keep watching this and Kiba for a while.

Title: Princess Princess

Another BL anime. The premise is interesting, but doesn't play out in a good way.

Title: Gintama

Unimpressive. Didn't like the manga, the anime doesn't seem to hold any surprises like Black Cat, but then again Black Cat needed a few episodes as well.

Title: Witchblade

Designs and animation were bad, characters didn't appeal. Didn't actually expect anything of it, so no surprise here.

Title: Akubi Girl
Rating: D-

Wasn't a fan of the original franchise, it's cute but not cute enough for me to suck it in. ;(

Title: Furakappa

Hmm, I expected something along the lines of Jagainu-kun but it was less than that. Too bad. :(

Title: Gakuen Heaven

Fangirls will wuv it, I didn't. As simple.

Rating: E-

I dislike Oh Great! and his works and this one is no exception. Actually I recommend everybody to rather read the manga, since the manga is far better and hasn't such godawful music. Voice acting wasn't particularly outstanding as well. Definitely the low bottom this season. It's a waste for Lacu...er...I mean Simca to be in this show. ;)

Still need to watch: Love Get-Chu, Kirarin Revolution, Saiunkoku Monogatari, Nishi no Yoki Majo, Himawari.
*And still not having seen those titles...I fail...

Last edited by Keitarou; 2006-04-25 at 16:26.
Keitarou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-04-12, 08:54   Link #6
DaFool
Resident devil

Sweet, now enough time has passed that I can do away with first impressions and hold on to the more solid fare:

Title: Suzumiya Haruhi no Yuuutsu
Episodes Viewed: 5

For a show whose premise is pretty silly and much ado about nothing, the execution is brilliant. For every otaku thing that Soul Link did WRONG, this spunky series does it just RIGHT. Oh yeah you don't have to be a rocket scientist to get the jokes, but it sure would help.

7th Expansion writing + help from TYPE MOON + decent animation studio + haremload of Lucy / Psycho-Kaede's + mystery = BIG GRIN.

Manages to keep the nice Last-Exilish vibes that Garasu no Kantai does not. It's one of the best alternate-world mood pieces.

Wow. For a low-budget piece, the direction and mood-setting is truly effective. Never fails to convince me that Life is Beautiful.

Though the production quality took a nosedive, it seemed for a while that the writing would too, until they went all Warcraft (lol complete with suicide missions and Counter) and I became glued again.

Title: Yume Tsukai

Quite interesting, though it's toned down, I still like the weirdness.

It's over-the-top action. But it has the brains to go along with the brawn. Practically a scathing commentary on contemporary society. And the loads of cussing just makes it even more flavorful.

Title: Nishi no Yoki Majo Astrea Testament

Solid adventure, now I'm pretty curious how such a society with beautiful architecture has such f-up people in it.

Title: Ah! My Goddess 2

Well because I almost grew up on it. I can't live without it. Though it is a bit embarrassing to watch.

Title: The Third

Seems pretty decent for a desert sci-fi. Nothing outstanding but the 'good' in it is 'very'.

Last edited by DaFool; 2006-05-03 at 14:10.
DaFool is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-04-12, 10:12   Link #7
lavielove

Title:Zegapain(stalled) [megami]
Rating:Unknown (Previously B+)
Episode Viewed:3 [stalled]

What I like about Zegapain is the character designs and the pace of the anime. Mecha series are costly to produce so why should I stay away from zegapain.The first episode was trying to explain the things like teleporting and how the main characters of the show got separate right from the start.mecha series with harem vibe,but not lame.must watch.

Title: Soul Link [raw]
Episodes Viewed: Unknown [dropped]

This is not a Navel that made Shuffle.The character introduction in episode 1 was uninteresting and the airship designs not that good.Navel's attempt to space failed in Soul Link.

Title: Utawarerumono [Yesy]
Episodes Viewed: 4 [stalled]

The girls in this anime are somewhat look like Solty Rei.Their ears move when they talk plus they all have tails.Out of all from the school-drama series,this series stand out.The country side epic-drama with out of the box characters.The story arrangement is fit to the characters nicely.Epic,love and suspence(may be you will not notice),its all in there.

Title: Yume Tsukai [arienai and ureshii][raw]
Rating: A (Previously C)
Episodes Viewed: 6

Animation for Ueshiba Riichi's manga, Yume Tsukai.I couldn't think of the target audience Pony Canyon trying to reach.Instead of playing stunts on Yume Tuskai manga,they should have choose the other manga or novel to make this kind of anime.Alot different from the Yume Tsukai anime that should be.Honesly Yume Tsukai anime in my past imagination was a blood-bath like Elfen Lied but the anime version is intented for younger audience.But for the sake of curiousity and love of the charcters such as Touko,Rinko,Hajime and Segawa(the most interesting charcter),I will keep on watching.But for the rating,it only deserve C.

[edited after ep4]
Ep4 amazed me and the I will now rate this as B+.With the introduction with a new character called Sagawa,the animation style went up.More to that, some of the elements in the episode are not only from Yume Tsukai manga, but also from "Discommunication-Spirit of the death".

updated:
Starting from episode 6, I will assure you,you will like this anime much more than that.Episode 3 is quite crappy and alot of japanese viewers dropped from the viewing list after airing.Episode 6 contained character development,a continuation of episode 4,about one of the Yume Tsukai.Alot of scenes in episode 6 are amusing and mindless funny.

Title: Air Gear [Kyuuketsuki ]
Rating: B+ (previously A-->B-->A)
Episodes Viewed: 6

Unique character development and slow pace in story developement which is good.I'm not a big fan of sport anime like Prince of Tennis.But after watching "Air Gear" episode 1,I couldn't stop myself from watching episode 2.What I like about "Air Gear" is the mixed substances of love and hobby. It's good to see the youngster doing pranks and feel free.If you are suffocated with classroom drama/comedy animes,watch "Air Gear".It will give you a break and suck you in.

updated:
More Fan service scences are kicked in and generated some popularity among the viewers in episode 5.Episode 6, the story background of Sky-King is reveal and the story continue.

Title: Tokko [goodnight]
Episodes Viewed: 2 [stalled because I'm planning to watch two episodes at the same time after the Golden week]

This one is based on the manga.If you are faint hearted, you should not watch Tokko.I dropped Blood+ from watching because I felt not scary at all while I was watching.Tokko was rated as [R-15] not just to show off, it's a real [R-15] anime,quite rare these days.But mind you,there are a few topless scene and blood like Gantz.

[edited after ep2]

I am quite suprised by the comedic value delivered in the episode 2.I'm happily following Tokko not just for blood also for the comedy.

Title: The Third ~Aoi Hitomi no Shoujo~ [Ayu][raw]
Rating: A+(Previously A)

This one is from Xebec and broadcast only on WOWOW.The first episode showed-off the outstanding animated sequences,espically when Honoka was(the main character) running,slashing the sword and talking into her headphone. From there I read wiki to get to know more about it.After that I found myself rooted to this one.At a quick look it looks just another Shana, but unlike Shana, Honoka is more tomboyish and more funny.This anime will run 20 over episodes and I'm sure I won't miss a big time.

[updated]
The character development is boomed up to the point where Honoka(main character girl) showing her true form.We had a chance to see she's not a human in the episode 4.

Title: Amaenaideyo (2nd season)[Mendoi]
Rating: Unknown
Episodes Viewed: 7 [stalled]

I hate this show in the 1st season because of the several facts that I cound't accept for this show.But for the second season, a new character was introduced and the story line is much more like a love traingle.This show is more suitable for the guys(full of fans service).Rating may be abit bias because of my gender.

updated
I stalled this anime again.It's just too boring to follow. >.> They bring in that Buddha image again in episode 6 too.

new entry

Yoshinaga-san-chi no Gargoyle [Shining Fansubs]
Rating: Unknown

The story about a gargoyle(the stone statue that are placed and seen on the gate of the residences) and it's owner.In anime it's Gargoyle-kan,so I will refer to gargoyle as a male.A gargoyle the owner little girl namely Futaba-chan.Futaba-chan is quite a wired kid,agressive and stubborn type. Gargoyle-kan enjoyed nugging the others with his big words.I like the anime with detailed background art and perspective drawings,so Yoshinaga-san-chi no Gargoyle easily got into my watch-list.You will see the main character being very young in this anime but it is not a kiddie anime.Alot more characters
are expected to be introduced in the future episodes.

Note:
Rating Unknown means "you should read the other people reviews who watch more episode of a particular anime than me ^_^"

Last edited by lavielove; 2006-05-18 at 14:18.
lavielove is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-04-12, 10:26   Link #8
a-chan
*ZZZzzzzzz*

Here are mine:

Title:
NANA
Good animation (SD characters are very funny), the story line is like the manga's and the music is good...I love the ending!

Title: XXXHolic
I love the manga and the anime is just as good!! Yuko is not as pretty as in the manga but she's better than in TRC anime. Watanuki is hilarious! I loved it!

Title: Ouran High School club
I didn't like the manga very much but the anim is much better! It's funny but very predictable...No surprise in the story line...

Title: Gintama
I love the manga and I love the anime!! The first episode is disturbing 'cause it's an one hour spécial with all characters. The 2nd episode correspond with the begining of the manga and the preview of episode 3 shows that it will now continue to follow the manga story line...So don't judge this anime on the first episode!!
It's an hilarious show with the same humour as School Rumble!! I hope they will sub it soon!
a-chan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-04-15, 15:21   Link #9
SeedFreedom
Hina is my goddess
*Graphic Designer

Title: School Rumble Semester 2
Episodes Viewed:2
Very nice and extremely funny anime. enjoyed it very much and i didn't even see the first series

Rating B+
I didn't have very high expectations going into this series but it ended up being a very enjoyable series but still back burner

Rating C-
Quite a disappointment because i was expecting a very shuffle like anime. Very slow paced.

Not much to go on but this anime is not being surprisingly good

Again no expectations for this anime and ended up being very cute at points so i will follow this one

Rating C
Episodes Viewed:1
I don't get it. I picked this up because it got many high rating but i don't get it. and the entrance was very painful to watch but i do plan to stick with it for another few eps
SeedFreedom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-04-16, 04:25   Link #10
Jumper
Shimurai

Titel:The Melancholy of Haruhi Suzumiya
After the first Ep i didn't know if i should like this anime or hate it, but after the second i'm sure that i love this Anime (imo Best Anime of the Season)

Titel: Nana
Episodes Viewed:2
Althoug i didn't liked the first Ep that much, i'm a huge fan of the Manga, so thats why it gets an A from me and since the second Ep followed the Manga very closely, i'm sure that i will like this anime.

Titel: School Rumble 2nd Term
Rating:A-
I loved the first show and i still like it.

Titel: Black Lagoon
Rating:B
I liked the first Episode, it seems to be the best Action-Anime of the Season but after only 1 Ep, i can't enought to be sure.

Titel: Ouran High School Host Club
Rating:B
Episodes Viewed:
I didn't expect this Anime to be this funny, really good.

Titel: xxxHolic
I didn't liked the first Ep that much and normally i don't like CLAMP Animes, but i will give it a chance for some Eps more.

Titel: Air Gear
I really like the Mangas of Oh!Great but the Animes aren't really great, and in Air Gear they have changed to many things (i hate anime that chance the story of a manga)

Titel: Utawarerumono
Somewhat this is not my type of Anime, i didn't like it and i won't watch it anymore.

Titel: Simoun
Don't like Shoujo-Ai, its boring without guys.

Titel: Kiba
I hate typical Fighting-Shounen and this is another one.

Last edited by Jumper; 2006-04-16 at 06:40.
Jumper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-04-16, 05:48   Link #11
Thalandor46

The rabid .hack// fanboy in me is making this my favorite of the season. Im really curious how its going to flow into GU. I love Shino already, and knowing her status as of the beginning of GU gets my blood boiling

Wow. Just wow. That was brilliant. And hilarious. I went through the entire first episode thinking "What the [explative] am I watching?". And then the second introduced the plot well. It has a ton of potential, and I cant wait for more

Title: xxxHolic
I love the manga, and some stuff works really well animated. I just hope they dont change too much. Im already a bit concerned about a few things. Also, one of the best EDs ever

Title: NANA
Seems kinda girly, but I think Ill enjoy it. The characters draw me in. I really want to know more about them

Title: Ah! My Goddess 2nd season
Yet another reminder that I should go back and watch the OVA/movie again. The series just doesnt do it for me. I think Belldandy being too much of a ditz plays a significant role in that opinion

Boring. Didnt catch my interest at all

Also boring. Did increase my desire to see a good gun action series though. I think thats what drew me in in the first place
Thalandor46 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-04-16, 08:05   Link #12
kitsura
King of Brave

Title: Makai Senki Disgaea
Certain story elements changed but at least major storyline is consistent. Storyline feels very rushed but probably due to the 12 episode limitation. Only plus is that the OST and VA are the same as the game.
kitsura is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-04-16, 08:31   Link #13
Katapan
俺様祭り

Quite interesting thread.

Title: Suzumiya Haruhi no Yuuutsu
I may as well follow the trend and call this just brilliant. This season's winner for me, truly funny moments with outstanding animation (to be expected from KyoAni). I'm looking forward to the following episodes.

Another great series here, I loved the way they made fun of BL and stuff like that in episode 1, and the atmosphere was kept in episode 2. Once again, on top of that, we get something that's visually awesome thanks to BONES.

The animation is the first thing that hit me while watching the first episode, plus the music is also good. Story sounds interesting, although all the latin stuff made it quite confusing. Curious to see more.

I didn't expect much and thought the atmosphere wouldn't really be my thing, but it turns out to be pretty refreshing, colorful scenes and nice music. What else to ask for?

One of the only shows of the season that I was anticipating, after seeing Navel's work with SHUFFLE!. Unfortunately the series starts off very slowly, in a quite boring way. Not a big fan of the space thing, and the characters are somewhat annoying. Maybe the rest could change my mind, though.

Nothing too interesting here, but that may just be because I'm not too fond of shounen usually. Plus the animation and music aren't really good.

Title: Kiba
Decent animation with a story that could be at least a bit different than the usual typical shounen stuff.

I know a lot of people had very high expectations on this and were disappointed, however I haven't read the manga and loved what I've seen so far. Great music and animation.

Title: ZEGAPAIN
I was expecting a little better from Sunrise, so far it doesn't seem original at all. The animation is however good.

Title: Disgaea
Just like Nana, a bunch of people seem disappointed at this, but I haven't played the game so I didn't expect anything in particular, apart from what I had seen in the promo. The animation isn't really good, but the story seems somewhat fun, and I like the characters.

Title: xxxHOLiC
It's by CLAMP, another highly anticipated series. The animation seems to be a step below the movie's, but it's still something that's nice to watch.
Katapan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-04-19, 04:41   Link #14
Blablabla
Zetsubo-sensei daaaaaa !!

Ouran Host Club :
Rating : A
Eps seen : 2
Funny, very very funny.

School Rumble 2nd Semester :
Rating : A
Eps Seen : 3
It's School Rumble... do I have to say more ?

Hight School Girl :
Rating B+
Eps Seen : 2
Less funny than Ouran but I like the way the author is making fun of his characters...

Nana
:
Rating : B+/C
B+ for people who don't know the manga and C for those who know it. Why ? Because the anime is nothing more than a copy paste with soundtrack of the manga. If you have the manga, don't loose your time and just buy the OST.

Princess-Princess :
Rating : B+
Good looking boys cosplaying to cheer up their comrades... the idea is a bit creazy but that's I like. The characters are fuuny, too

Good Witch of the West :
Rating : B
Eps Seen : 2 (only raws)
It's beautiful, and the soundtrack is great. I will wait for subs to understand the storyline (but fansubers don't seem to hurry for subbing it... *sight)

Jyu Oh Sei :
Eps Seen : 1 '(raw)
An other good looking Bones anime... The story seems to be intersting. I can't wait for the subs.

Melancholy of (etc..) Harumi
Eps Seen : 3
I laught to tears when I saw the first ep... but only the first ep. The others weren't that great even if Harumi's character seems to be interesting.

Kiba :
Rating : C
When Naruto meets Pokemon... *sight

Simoun
:
Rating : C-
Eps Seen : One
I had to see it to believe it... a Yuri anime can be more ridiculous than Mai Otome...

Black Lagoon :
Rating : D
Eps Seen : 1
OMGWTF !! Vin Diesel has boobs !

Last edited by Blablabla; 2006-04-19 at 04:59.
Blablabla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-04-19, 08:58   Link #15
ghost89475

Eps seen:2
Unlike most of you here, I didn't care about the manga, even after hearing about the hype. Then, I watched the debut and I'm mesmerised. Maybe because I had no expectations, that's why I thought it was THAT great.I love the great amount of detail the produces spend on the background. The characters' face seem distorted sometimes, esp Nana's(the noisy one) eyes. But I thought the interaction is so captivating and funny, I kept watching it over and over again. Plus. I sincerely thought the OP and ED rocked! My hopes are definitely up for this one.

Title: Ouran Host Club
[B]Rating: B+
Eps seen: 2
I've seen the manga. Very funny and touching (some parts.) Although the anime lacks the grandeur of the manga, the story sticks real close to it. That's great. And the main difference of anime from manga is the liveliness of it, and I thought the seiyuus did/ are doing, a fantastic job.

Title: High School Girls
Funny Funny Funny!!! I don't care if it's slapstick or lame, the jokes are funny, so I'll keep watching. Too bad there's too much fanservice for my liking...

Eh... there was so much hype about it, but truth is I got bored most of the time. Very noticeable poor animation in ep2 especially. Hope something'll happen to redeem this...

Eps seen: 1
Ha. I love the previous digimon series. But they grew worse as the seasons progressed, and finally, this 5th installment just turned me off in 5 minutes. Didn't complete the first ep.
ghost89475 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-04-20, 22:11   Link #16
Aidan
Am I bad? Yes... Very X(

Eps seen: 4
"This is a lot more entertaining than Hollywood." I must agree with this.
Anyway, I really like this one, great action and some deeper meanings here and there (at least for me ). Plus, I find it very refreshing to see a guy not going into dementia mode when a girl jumps on top of him. Great show to get the blood pumping, although it does look like a commercial for alcohol and cigarettes. Enter a babe with scars/power/money, exit all my problems with this show. (I had no previous knowledge on this one btw.)

Eps seen: 5
Interesting, I wonder which way it will develop, it can turn into (stay) something great or crash and burn, I hope they handle it with care. I wonder when they will explore rocker Nana. (I have no previous knowledge on this one)

I tried, I really tried to resist this one, until I viewed the first episode and it drop kicked me and dragged me back into the world that is Aqua, where everything is so soft, fluffy and good.

This one made me cry with laughter, golden comedy with the pretty boys. ^_^

Title: School Rumble 2nd Semester
What can I say more, multi-layered/multi-dimensional relationships with astronomically funny misunderstandings and pain. Makes you LOL all the way to your bank account so you can buy the DVDs. Something to watch when you're 80, get a heart attack and die with a smile on your face. Miko-channnn.....

Title: xxxHOLIC
Eps seen: 4
Bring on the bread-stick-figure from Clamp, always interesting to watch, I especially like Watanuki and the torment (of love?) he is getting.

Title: The Third ~ Aoi Hitomi no Shoujo
A very pleasant surprise this one, I started to view this one with huge skepticism, the lead being kinda loli and all, however this was quickly put aside after I saw her pull out her sword and gun. I also like tanks, especially one that reminds me a bit of GITS.

Eps seen: 3
Potential? Yes, but I hope they don't start rushing through the story. They can make or break this show with the pacing.

Eps seen: 3
"I'm the main character and this is the way you treat me."
That line sold me, there is nothing I like more than seeing the torment (of love?). That is the love between siblings I like to see, I like to see it as the following: "always fighting but when one is in trouble they'll aid you anyway they can."

Title: Himawari
"Ninja school isn't what it used to be." Yup it just got more entertaining and funny, although I must admit that it was the elf, with miso-soup, that entranced me. It also looks like they got some inspiration from Disney.

Title: RAY The Animation
Great stuff if you like this sort of thing... Operating on people is one thing, but a nurse that can do a flying kick wins in my book.

Title: Hack Roots
Strange, I've seen the first episode, I liked it, but nothing compels me to watch the second or third episode. :/ Nothing-unexpected going on.

Hard one, I actually liked the first episode, but stopped watching the second one right in the middle because I got bored. Yuri that is all up in your face, which had me going, yeah, right, make up a story first than bring all the love love stuff.

The Yuri in this one doesn't seem to grip me and the dog fights had me going

I usually like space related anime, this however had me going skip skip skip, bye bye, no sale... no more fan service in space for me please.

Title: High School Girls
Rating: ---
Well I started to skip and that was the end for me, although this one is worth reviewing when I have the time.

This is too much anime to watch for me , so everything under xxxHOLIC will probably go into the to-watch bin.
edits: continuously updating.

Last edited by Aidan; 2006-05-06 at 11:21.
Aidan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-04-21, 00:56   Link #17
iamtetsuo
Thinking Different Member
*Fansubber

Send a message via AIM to iamtetsuo
OK before reading this thread I thought I had a problem with watching too much anime. Then I see just how much I COULD be watching and feel somewhat better... Now I have to go and download a bunch more anime after reading everyone elses reviews. *shakes fist* Look at what you guys have done! Anyways here goes:
Rating B-
Episodes seen: 3
Fairly generic plot, but good execution so far. Plenty of fighting, action, good characters, interesting "magic" scheme. The old guy with the beards laugh is SO cliché. If it wasn't for that I might have given this series a B so far.

Title: xxxHolic
Rating B+
Episodes seen: 2
I wasn't sure what to expect when I downloaded this, but it sure wasn't comedy! Very funny, and at the same time very interesting and mysterious. The artistic style though is very offsetting, I don't like the characters looking like they'v been on the rack. I'm very intrigued as to what direction they take this series. Is it going to be like Hell Girl with every episode being a vignette, or will there be an advancing plot?

Rating A
Episodes seen: 2
What can I say, I'v been a fan of .hack since the first episode of Sign. So far this series looks to be just as good as the last two. Animation is beautiful, voice acting is superb, and so far the story is engaging. If you'v seen .hack//Sign and you liked it you're probably going to like this one as well. The only gripe I have is my computer isn't powerfull enough to play the HQ versions.
Old 2006-04-24, 07:08   Link #18
physics223
In the Tatami Galaxy ↓

The Melancholy of Haruhi Suzumiya - D

No, I'm not kidding. With all the hype this series has been surrounded with, I almost slept through the first episode. And that's not fun.

Ouran High School Host Club - A+

Now THIS is comedy. It has pulled off fun in a way that is both interesting and incisive. I watched only the first episode, thinking it to be a just so-so production, but in that same day I cried for the other two episodes that were downloading slowly. I wanted to watch more.

Is Ergo Proxy not a spring anime? Anyway, that also garners an A from me.

And Fujioka Haruhi IMO beats that dumb*ss Suzumiya anyday. Not to mention she has her brains with her and her charm ... great!
physics223 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-04-30, 15:22   Link #19
Quajafrie
Not here anymore!

The Melancholy of Haruhi Suzumiya - A (4 episodes)
Very funny, a good premise and fantastic animation. There seems to be a lot of story behind it.

Kiba - C (2 episodes)
I liked the first episode, but the second was boring, awful and cliche. The monster designs are also awful.

Higurashi no Naku Koro ni - A (2 episodes)
The high grade is because it has a huge potential in my eyes...

Nana - B (2 episodes)
Really a surprise for me... I don't like shoujo, but I loved this show.

Black Lagoon - B+ (1 episode)
Wow! Yes, that's better than Hollywood! It's not very japanese, but it's GREAT!

Ouran High School Host Club - B- (1 episode)
Not very interesting for me. Haven't laughed at all.

xxxHolic - B (2 episodes)
I've read 2 volumes of the manga... I know the anime CAN be better than this. Biggest disappointment: the animation... the colors Production I.G. uses are kinda... awful.
Quajafrie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-05-01, 21:27   Link #20
evil-samurai

Title: Jyu Oh Sei
BONES is animating it so its going to be good, but also along with the animation, the music is just as good. I love the colour in the anime.. its not a just simple pale white faces everywhere you look, it fits into the setting of the show. Only 11 episodes but its really good so far. (I love the opening song though it not well liked it seems ^^; )

Soild animation and consistent character designs. The opening theme shows that there is alot! more to come in the anime, the characters are all likable and the music is good as well. the show is only on episode 4, yet the story is already being told at a good speed.

Title: Ohran High School Host Club
Sure the animation was good, but I didn't like the music and the setting of the anime; it was just one place :/ there were a few great characters plus the twist at the end of episode one was nice, but the direction of the anime isn't any good. I didn't like the comedy that much though some of it was funny. I wont be watching anymore.

Title: Inukami!
Great! show, The animation is interesting.., its let down a bit by some of the crappy animated character designs. The animation team from Nanoha A's is working on this anime, but its yet to get that good :/ The two lead characters fit together so well, The comedy is Brilliant! One of the best couple... I've seen in a while. Dont just judge it on the screen shots otherwise.... ^^; you might be turned away from it. The music is fairly good as was as the VA and its a more fast paced show which I like.

Air Gear
I like the idea behind it, but personally the characters dont appeal to me that much, the opening is well made but the show is full of un-interesting cheesy moments. Dont think I'll watch anymore.

Last edited by evil-samurai; 2006-05-01 at 21:37.
evil-samurai is offline   Reply With Quote