AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > General > Video Games

Notices

Old 2017-06-11, 18:24   Link #1
cyberdemon

Assassin's Creed Origins

Next game in the series to be release October 27th

https://assassinscreed.ubisoft.com/game/en-us/home/
Old 2017-06-11, 18:25   Link #2
Diluc
Darkhero of Monstadt

Time for EGYPT!
Diluc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2017-06-11, 18:28   Link #3
FlareKnight
User of the "Fast Draw"

Send a message via AIM to FlareKnight Send a message via MSN to FlareKnight
Has been a while since I played an Assassin Creed game....think it was the Pirate one. Egypt might be a good excuse to go and play another one.
Old 2017-06-11, 19:01   Link #4
JagdPanther
WE ARE.... PENN STATE....

Send a message via AIM to JagdPanther
This is the next best thing to an AC game set in feudal Japan. I'm up for this setting.

Avatar v. 37.0: Fighter Squadron 31. The VF-31 "Tomcatters."
JagdPanther is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2017-06-11, 19:39   Link #5
Toukairin
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by JagdPanther View Post
This is the next best thing to an AC game set in feudal Japan. I'm up for this setting.
Or in the Bakumatsu/early Meiji era if one wants to contrast traditions with modernity. I keep on hoping AC goes to Japan one day, but the creators at Ubisoft seem extremely reticent with the idea despite the fact that the fanbase has been asking it for years.
Toukairin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2017-08-26, 05:47   Link #6
Renegade334
Sleepy Lurker
*Graphic Designer

YouTube
Sorry; dynamic content not loaded. Reload?

I'm more partial to the Ramses II--Merneptah era since it's technically the apex of the Egyptian empire (it started declining after Ramses III and falling into the grasp of foreign dynasties), but I guess situating it in the Ptolemaic period makes the country more colourful and adds opportunities (such as Alexandria and the Pharos lighthouse, which can be seen in this intro).

YouTube

Not sure what to think about the disappearance of the minimap and the switch to a more Skyrim-ish navigation system (which I had nothing against, to make myself clear). I know people usually rolled their eyes when it comes to the AC collectibles (trinkets, feathers, bottles, etc) but I actually enjoyed running up and down buildings and terrains to find those, it helped me discover more locations and vistas (I remember two trinkets in AC3 that seemed almost impossible to reach unless you found a very specific path - it was a fun challenge in the end).

Anyway, even though I wasn't 100% impressed with the latest AC installments (I did however love the urban atmospheres those games conveyed), this one is practically a shoe-in for my (very short) list of games to buy later this year, if only for the fact that during my school years I was really fond of the ancient Egyptian civilization.

EDIT:

Remember that in AC2 there were, scattered throughout Italy, tombs of legendary members of the Assassins? The one found at the Basilica di San Marco in Venice housed the sarcophagus of Amunet, a female assassin who achieved fame
Spoiler:

EDIT bis:

Apparently Aya is Bayek's wife, not his girlfriend. They're just living separatedly due to their different jobs. :-/

Last edited by Renegade334; 2017-08-31 at 03:04.
Renegade334 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2017-10-30, 11:03   Link #7
Renegade334
Sleepy Lurker
*Graphic Designer

It appears that Origins' launch was not beset by any major bug as on the Unity debacle and the game is quite stable. However, there's another huge problem that's making the rounds, concerning people with "average" computer setups.

It turns out that Ubisoft is rather desperate to protect its new product from pirates and not only implemented Denuvo v4.8 but also added a VMProtect layer on top of Denuvo. VMProtect is a software that makes it harder to reverse-engineer and crack binaries, but at the cost of performance - a reported 30-40% perf hit in terms of CPU usage. Players with upper-grade i7s (6-10 cores) don't have much issues, but people saddled with, say, a 4-core i5 (like me, for example) will easily see a 100% CPU usage on all four cores. Some have even reported BSODs after an hour or two of playing, obviously caused by (prolonged) overheating. So unless you have a hardcore gaming rig, you'll have trouble playing AC:O.

https://steamcommunity.com/app/58216...2338949884139/
https://steamcommunity.com/app/58216...2338948182751/

Several developers tend to remove Denuvo once their game has been cracked (Doom, for example), as the software is now merely used as a cracking retardant and no longer as a cracking-denial system. I don't know about Ubisoft and whether they'll follow suit and strip the game of Denuvo and VMProtect. System calls to Denuvo are embedded all throughout the game code, not just in a single executable or a launcher, so only the developer can fully fix this mess (a cracked .exe will not prevent Denuvo and VMProtect from running and maxing out the CPU).

I'm disappointed, I was eager to buy this game (even at full price, standard edition), but the recent news have changed my mind. I had noticed how laggy the AC games had gotten over the years (I had merely pegged that on more complex environments, greater resource consumption and better graphics), but I had no idea the DRM protection system could cause THIS much of a handicap.

I will wait until this problem is solved to pull out my bank notes.

P.S. There's more detailed information out there on Reddit and certain sites that are most likely frowned upon by the mods, so I only included some Steam threads in this post.
Old 2017-10-30, 15:04   Link #8
Sparda4
Dark Knight

From what Voksi got on reddit(through third party) Vmprotect is running as long as the the game itself is running. An image was posted as proof.
Edit: There was a correction. As long as the character is moving VMprotect activates. So standing still or a cutscene isn't effected but they will look into it more

Last edited by Sparda4; 2017-10-30 at 15:58.
Sparda4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2017-10-30, 23:40   Link #9
Diluc
Darkhero of Monstadt

Considering this taking setting on Cleopatra-Caesar era. can we consider the future DLC "The Murder of Caesar"?
Old 2017-10-31, 01:40   Link #10
cyberdemon

There are topless women in the game. Haven't seen that in any of the others lol
Old 2017-10-31, 03:16   Link #11
Renegade334
Sleepy Lurker
*Graphic Designer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roxis View Post
Considering this taking setting on Cleopatra-Caesar era. can we consider the future DLC "The Murder of Caesar"?
Doubtful.
Spoiler for game ending - do NOT click if you hate spoilers:
Old 2017-10-31, 03:24   Link #12
Diluc
Darkhero of Monstadt

Quote:
Originally Posted by Renegade334 View Post
Doubtful.
Spoiler for game ending - do NOT click if you hate spoilers:
"Sigh" Guess we can't see the beauty of ancient city of rome sooner.
I wonder if Origin will mark the first entry for BC assassins.
Old 2017-10-31, 04:45   Link #13
Renegade334
Sleepy Lurker
*Graphic Designer

Well, the base Origins game closes its curtains somewhere around 44BC, marking the creation of the Hidden Ones, which will eventually turn into the Assassin Brotherhood we all know. The other DLCs will definitely still be BC material, as I don't expect Bayek to live long enough to pass the 0AD mark (and even then he'd be too old to still be fighting).

As for Rome...I don't think so. Ubisoft already had us explore Rome in AC2: Brotherhood and I don't think the franchise managers want to regurgitate the same location, even if it's set at a different time period. They'll probably seek a different city/region and century, maybe the much-speculated feudal Japan (the ninja-Assassin angle is so very easy to toy with, but you still need to create a story that'd intertwine the historical context and the Assassin-Templar war, which is a challenge in itself).

EDIT: now the news are spreading - https://www.theinquirer.net/inquirer...racy-drm-tools

Last edited by Renegade334; 2017-10-31 at 12:33. Reason: Grammar/syntax oopsies
Old 2017-11-01, 11:40   Link #14
Renegade334
Sleepy Lurker
*Graphic Designer

(Pardon the double post!)

Oh, boy...this is bad faith at its finest: http://gearnuke.com/assassins-creed-...amper-tech-pc/

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ubisoft's statement
We’re confirming that the anti-tamper solutions implemented in the Windows PC version of Assassin’s Creed Origins have no perceptible effect on game performance.

In order to recreate a living, systemic and majestic open world of Ancient Egypt, where players can witness all of its stunning details, its beautiful landscapes & incredible cities, in a completely seamless way with no loading screens, Assassin’s Creed Origins uses the full extent of the minimum and recommended PC system requirements here: http://forums.ubi.com/showthread.php/1759689 while ensuring a steady 30 FPS performance.

We’re committed to ensuring the most optimum experience possible for everyone, and we advise any players who may encounter performance issues on PC to check out support.ubi.com as there might be already a workaround or to contact us further explaining their issues so that we can solve them.
"It's not us, it's you." Yeah, right.

Meanwhile, the latest player feedbacks on Steam are screaming with complaints of maxed-out CPUs.
Old 2017-11-19, 16:40   Link #15
Renegade334
Sleepy Lurker
*Graphic Designer

Oh ye revered mods, I beseech your mercy for triple-posting, but since the thread hasn’t seen much activity since a while, I decided to break the interdict to introduce something new.

So...after much debate, I finally opted to buy AC:O in spite of the concerns posed by the Denuvo+VMProtect discoveries. My computer, though aging, was able to run Syndicate without too many issues...and seeing how they have comparable hardware requirements, I told myself it shouldn't be that bad. I eventually forked the money and got the Gold edition, which includes deluxe packs and the Season Pass, which gives me access to the two future DLCs. Granted, it's pricey, but since ancient Egypt was a childhood passion of mine and this is going to be my last game-related expense for a VERY long while (>1 year, as I have vowed), I can write this as a one-off.

Behold the following walls of text! Despite their length, they do NOT constitute a full, in-depth review, just a list of remarks, observations that come to my mind when playing. It doesn’t cover the full breadth of the game. You'll occasionally find curious statements about my progress - just know that I had started writing this piece from Day 1 and gradually filled it, so there ARE some passages that were jotted down while I was at level 9, and others when I was at level 35. I apologize for any confusion that might arise from my shoddy writing method.

Note: click on the screenshots to enlarge them.

SPOILERS FOR ALL AC GAMES AHEAD!

TL;DR…

VERDICT: a homerun for Ubisoft, but keep an eye on your hardware.

POST COMPLETE.

EDIT: I'd like to amend a few things I wrote in my previous posts ---
Spoiler for 2 things:

Last edited by Renegade334; 2017-12-30 at 06:15. Reason: Added remainder of the "review" + some amendments
Old 2018-01-17, 06:08   Link #16
Renegade334
Sleepy Lurker
*Graphic Designer

Eh, apologies for the necro-bump, but the 2018 calendar's just been dropped in our laps by Ubisoft.

January 23rd (thanks for the birthday present, Ubi!): The Hidden Ones DLC
- Occurs 10 years after the main campaign and serves as an epilogue to Origins.
- Takes place in the Sinai area, now occupied by the Romans.
- Antagonist will be a Roman general named Rufio, who wants to supplant the Cleopatra-Marc Anthony regime.

February 2nd: Guided Tour Mode update
- Essentially a "living museum" devoid of any combat.
- More or less replaces Shaun Hastings' Animus encyclopedia.

March 6th: Curse of the Pharaohs DLC
- Takes place in a new region, Thebes (or Waset, if you hate the Greeks' inability to use local pronunciation and/or their desire to Hellenize everything they can set their hands on) and the Valley of the Kings (no better place to get a horde of mummies than at one of Egypt's most famous necropolises).
- Antagonists will be undead pharaohs and creatures from Egyptian mythology.
- A First Civilization artifact could be the cause behind the supernatural upheaval (remember the George Washington DLC for AC3? my guess is it'll be going that way).

A lead-in mission for the Hidden Ones was activated in the game yesterday. Very run-of-the-mill Origins mission, nothing special (yes, I regret those stupid synchronization requirements from the previous games - they occasionally made the missions fun and challenging, as opposed to Origins' "get-there-and-then-do-whatever-you-want" approach). I've practically unlocked all achievements (map 100% complete, side quests 100% complete, locations 100% complete, papyrus enigmas 100% complete...need I continue?), and the only thing I haven't done yet is the hippodrome challenge, because I'm absolutely pants at races. Long story short: I'm bored already.

Also, I've been observing significantly more stutter in cities like Krokodilopolis and Alexandria since the Meltdown security patch by Microsoft. Since the update targets the CPU and the game is infamous for maxing out all of your cores, don't be surprised if you notice your urban exploration suddenly being beset by more hiccups. I expect it to becomes worse once microcode updates for the Specter vulnerability are made available by motherboard vendors, as it's supposed to be the more performance-unfriendly (the Specter patch is hardware-bound, whereas Meltdown can be mitigated using software tweaks) of the Specter-Meltdown terror twain. Framerate remains stable and smooth outside of the cities, though.

Last edited by Renegade334; 2018-01-17 at 12:25.
Old 2018-01-17, 10:17   Link #17
MrTerrorist
Takao Tsundere Cruiser

Ok this is just silly.

Spoiler for DLC plot:
Old 2018-01-17, 10:52   Link #18
Renegade334
Sleepy Lurker
*Graphic Designer

Yeah, I already posted about it in the FFXV thread and it indeed felt like Ubisoft wasn't even trying to make a decent tie-in/easter egg, compared to all the work Square Enix did on their side.

Shame on Ubi. >:-(
Old 2018-03-20, 13:00   Link #19
Renegade334
Sleepy Lurker
*Graphic Designer

Alright, all of the announced DLCs (listed in my previous posts) are now out and I'll just post my impressions here:

--- EDIT: added screenshots; click to enlarge ---

The Hidden Ones DLC

YouTube

TL;DR…

The Curse of the Pharaohs DLC

YouTube

TL;DR…

If you're looking into buying any of the DLCs, I strongly suggest you skip THO and go for TCOTP. If you're into history, don't hesitate to invest into the Discovery Tour expansion, even though it's nothing more than a voiced guided tour with pictures; seeing the game assets explained and put into context is very satisfying. For now, though, the DT is limited to only the base game; I do not know if Ubisoft intends to expand it to TCOTP, which in my book would be a welcome addition.

Last edited by Renegade334; 2018-03-21 at 14:25. Reason: SCREENSHOTS!
Old 2018-03-20, 17:31   Link #20
Kanon
Kana Hanazawa ♥

Thanks for posting your impressions on the DLCs. I don't think I'll get any of them, but I admit I'm pretty tempted by the last one.