AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > General > General Chat > News & Politics

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 2015-05-07, 19:49   Link #36461
Ithekro
Gamilas Falls

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eisdrache View Post
What's your law because it sounds dumb. I don't know if they only acted like that in her class or everywhere but why are they not flat out expelled? It's their life and if they want to run hard mode by not having a graduation certificate, that not the school's problem.

California State law on Education
Specifically Part 27 on Pupils (Chapter Two: COMPULSORY EDUCATION LAW)

Her students from what I recall wer doing just enough to not be considered truant, and not disruptive enough to warrent legal action, or prehaps just not enough that the school didn't want to have to go through with it or go round and around with their parents, who think their child is just "fine".

The bottom line for the schools and distructs is that they get State and Federal money based on how many studunts are in class. Attendance is manditory for the dollars.
Old 2015-05-07, 20:09   Link #36462
Anh_Minh
I disagree with you all.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eisdrache View Post
What's your law because it sounds dumb. I don't know if they only acted like that in her class or everywhere but why are they not flat out expelled? It's their life and if they want to run hard mode by not having a graduation certificate, that not the school's problem.
Lots of countries have mandatory education.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Hat and Clogs View Post
Assessments/projects.
Because clearly, what we need is more arbitrariness.
Old 2015-05-07, 20:27   Link #36463
monster

Quote:
Assessments/projects. A good lot of the units at my Uni consist of minor and major assessments making the bulk of the mark with quiz's tossed in at a ratio of like 30/50/20% respectively (with the % divided into how many bits they have). Some don't bother with the quizzes and the minor assessment is broken up into pieces spread over the semester. It doesn't quite work for every unit yet, but they'll get to it eventually I'd say. The argument is that it's a better method of reinforcement, since exams are more about regurgitation then practical application.
Including one or more projects is fine, although it probably doesn't apply to all courses, but I don't see a difference between exams and assessments/quizzes.
Old 2015-05-07, 20:37   Link #36464
SaintessHeart
NYAAAAHAAANNNNN~

Quote:
Assessments/projects. A good lot of the units at my Uni consist of minor and major assessments making the bulk of the mark with quiz's tossed in at a ratio of like 30/50/20% respectively (with the % divided into how many bits they have). Some don't bother with the quizzes and the minor assessment is broken up into pieces spread over the semester. It doesn't quite work for every unit yet, but they'll get to it eventually I'd say. The argument is that it's a better method of reinforcement, since exams are more about regurgitation then practical application.
I agree on that. My Econs lecturers still teach that interest rates don't go below negative, Bernanke still holds office, amongst other things. They KNOW they are wrong but they have to "teach the syllabus". The students take it hook line sinker.

Also, part time students will suffer because of project work. Assessments and quizzes are a good take though; less stressful.

When three puppygirls named after pastries are on top of each other, it is called Eclair a'la menthe et Biscotti aux fraises avec beaucoup de Ricotta sur le dessus.
Most of all, you have to be disciplined and you have to save, even if you hate our current financial system. Because if you don't save, then you're guaranteed to end up with nothing.
Old 2015-05-07, 21:47   Link #36465
Cosmic Eagle
今宵の虎徹は血に飢えている

Quote:
Originally Posted by SaintessHeart View Post
After the late 1980s Operation Spectrum, there has been a general fear of witness or legal assistance for anyone convicted of "sedition". Hence no one is willing to stand for him.

There is alot of political motivation behind this case being pushed to court, ranging from overzealous Christians and political supporters of the incumbent. The case would most likely be a conviction, may or not amount to charge, and quickly swept under the carpet to prevent social unrest.
That kid is a sociopath.... not sociopath as in nut job but sociopath as in fearless and completely self-focused.

They should train him rather than punish him. Certain jobs require such mental states and there should be a role for people like that

Quote:

Honestly, everyone knows you learn more on the job than in school anyway. The whole "get a toilet paper to secure your career" is just a big pantomime

Quote:
Originally Posted by monster View Post
Including one or more projects is fine, although it probably doesn't apply to all courses, but I don't see a difference between exams and assessments/quizzes.

An individual project more closely resembling what one would encounter in such a line would be of more practical benefit if you ask me. It's not perfect or completely free of arbitrariness but it's better than standardized exams
Old 2015-05-07, 22:23   Link #36466
SaintessHeart
NYAAAAHAAANNNNN~

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cosmic Eagle View Post
That kid is a sociopath.... not sociopath as in nut job but sociopath as in fearless and completely self-focused.

They should train him rather than punish him. Certain jobs require such mental states and there should be a role for people like that
He isn't streetsmart enough for that. If he is a normal kid with such behaviour in a club or bar, he would be floating in Collyer Quay the next morning.

Although I am an agnostic, I think this case shows it is about time we levy heavier penalties on the MHRA. Just because you believe in a magic man doesn't mean others are not allowed to criticise it.

Also, something seriously needs to be done about the sycophantic behaviour of some the political members and supporters.

Quote:
Honestly, everyone knows you learn more on the job than in school anyway. The whole "get a toilet paper to secure your career" is just a big pantomime
The show must go on.

When three puppygirls named after pastries are on top of each other, it is called Eclair a'la menthe et Biscotti aux fraises avec beaucoup de Ricotta sur le dessus.
Most of all, you have to be disciplined and you have to save, even if you hate our current financial system. Because if you don't save, then you're guaranteed to end up with nothing.
Old 2015-05-07, 22:26   Link #36467
Mr Hat and Clogs
Did someone call a doctor

Quote:
Yeah, but it looks better when asking for funding I guess if you have a set number to offer up.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anh_Minh View Post
Not perfect, but they're better than exams.
Old 2015-05-07, 22:58   Link #36468
monster

Quote:
An individual project more closely resembling what one would encounter in such a line would be of more practical benefit if you ask me. It's not perfect or completely free of arbitrariness but it's better than standardized exams
Like I said, it probably depends on the courses. Certain subjects lend themselves well to making a project, while others are probably better served with written tests.
Old 2015-05-08, 01:49   Link #36469
maplehurry

Quote:
Well, it wouldn't more arbitrary than an essay on SAT. The problem is that it's easier to "cheat" or "hired gun" on the project.
Old 2015-05-08, 02:05   Link #36470
Haak
Me, An Intellectual

It was never particularly high to begin with but now my faith in the English electorate is completely destroyed. XP

Tories set for electoral win.
Old 2015-05-08, 03:55   Link #36471
Anh_Minh
I disagree with you all.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SaintessHeart View Post
I agree on that. My Econs lecturers still teach that interest rates don't go below negative, Bernanke still holds office, amongst other things. They KNOW they are wrong but they have to "teach the syllabus". The students take it hook line sinker.
It means you have a shitty syllabus. It means nothing with regards to how it's assessed.

Frankly, I have little sympathy for people who complain that exams are a poor measure of intelligence because they're so smart but have poor grades. Which is like 90% of people complaining about exams.

I have a little more for those who have good grades but feel (rightfully) it doesn't measure their readiness for the "real world". That is worth thinking about.

But my problem with projects is that it's easy to cut so many corners, and that grading them is a lot more arbitrary than exams (which are already imperfect in that regard).

Quote:
Originally Posted by maplehurry View Post
Well, it wouldn't more arbitrary than an essay on SAT.
Yeah, but the essay shouldn't be worth all the points. And at least with a small number of essay topics, it's easy to provide official guidelines for marking.
Old 2015-05-08, 04:02   Link #36472
Sides

:/ another 5 years for Queen David Cameroon. English people are sick... that is why we are sending you guys Alex Salmond ^^
Old 2015-05-08, 04:05   Link #36473
Haak
Me, An Intellectual

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sides View Post
:/ another 5 years for Queen David Cameroon. English people are sick... that is why we are sending you guys Alex Salmond ^^
Sorry Scotland. We tried. XP
Old 2015-05-08, 04:42   Link #36474
SaintessHeart
NYAAAAHAAANNNNN~

Quote:
Frankly, I have little sympathy for people who complain that exams are a poor measure of intelligence because they're so smart but have poor grades. Which is like 90% of people complaining about exams.

I have a little more for those who have good grades but feel (rightfully) it doesn't measure their readiness for the "real world". That is worth thinking about.
I have been doing the latter for years until I went into high school. Then I realised the reason why I was bullied in school and was pretty much a social mess is because the classes don't teach streetsmarts. Then I started doing enough to pass and spend more time with people, which thereafter I realise that without grades you can't find a job. Going back to studies turned out that without social skills you can't keep a job!

As bell curves shift more time is required to maintain grades, at the expense of social ability. So which is more important in life?

You do have a point in what you write. However I think the problem is with the system.

Old 2015-05-08, 04:49   Link #36475
Anh_Minh
I disagree with you all.

I have like zero social skills, I keep a job just fine. (Finding another job, now, that would be problematic.)
Old 2015-05-08, 04:56   Link #36476
Ithekro
Gamilas Falls

That reminds me that we are about five months or so from Queen Elizabeth II breaking Queen Victoria's record for longest reigning monarch of the British Isles.
Old 2015-05-08, 05:12   Link #36477
Mr Hat and Clogs

That.. is the weirdest segue ever.
Old 2015-05-08, 05:55   Link #36478
SaintessHeart
NYAAAAHAAANNNNN~

Quote:
I have like zero social skills, I keep a job just fine. (Finding another job, now, that would be problematic.)
That is the problem here. I have been laid off twice and I haven't even reached 30!

What I see the real issue as is the investment of time. The well-off who had their finances taken care off through life tend to do better in life as they can spare that time to learn some streetsmart and social skills. However, the bottom feeders are not that well-off; regardless of how well they do in their grades, they hit a roadblock when their career demands more from their heart than their brains (as soon as they are tasked to leadership roles).

Given that many people are average across the board, and they invest their time to open doors into the working world, how many of them can actually climb, or even retain, their job in today's competitive environment?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ithekro View Post
That reminds me that we are about five months or so from Queen Elizabeth II breaking Queen Victoria's record for longest reigning monarch of the British Isles.
Must be the nuts she ate.

Old 2015-05-08, 06:16   Link #36479
Mr Hat and Clogs

I've had about 5/7 jobs never longer than two years. although I was living in one of the towns with the highest (youth) unemployment rates in Australia for about 15 years. The market fucking sucked donkey balls and was incredibly depressing. My big downfall was that from 2003 to about 2008 I was in a revolving door relationship with a hospital due to Crohn's disease, spending months at a time in hospital. It's made things really difficult for me, since my resume is fairly blank during that time and I'm always so damn tired because of the Crohn's. So, people look at me and go 'nope'. I'll probably end up going back into aged care despite preferring to do something with computers (aged care is equal parts rewarding and depressing), even though I probably shouldn't with my health issues. /vent

Last edited by Mr Hat and Clogs; 2015-05-08 at 06:26.
Old 2015-05-08, 07:20   Link #36480
ganbaru
books-eater youkai

FBI warned local police gunman had interest in Texas cartoon event
http://www.reuters.com/article/2015/...0NS2DA20150507

Failed Russian spacecraft falls from orbit, burns up
http://www.reuters.com/article/2015/...0NT02Y20150508

Images show Vietnam reclaiming land in South China Sea
http://www.reuters.com/article/2015/...0NT04820150508

Tags
current affairs, discussion, international