AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Sword Art Online

Notices

Old 2012-10-17, 08:24   Link #1841
chaos_alfa

Quote:
Originally Posted by NoirX View Post
Suguha's voice won't change. And the next episode will probably end after the bar scene.
I think that would be to early. The bar scene with Agil will be somewhere at the beginning of the episode.

I think they will end the episode after the fight with the Salamanders.
chaos_alfa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-10-17, 09:25   Link #1842
Utsuro no Hako

Quote:
Suguha's voice won't change. And the next episode will probably end after the bar scene.
Episode 16 preview is out, and it shows Kirito diving into ALO (literally).
Utsuro no Hako is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-10-17, 09:31   Link #1843
Divini
Senpai!

I didn't expect Suguha choking on her muffin to look so... dramatic.
Divini is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-10-17, 09:34   Link #1844
NoirX
ぼっち
*Author

Oh wait, I think I should say "Inn" instead of "Bar"....the place where Kirito and Lyfa have their conversation in the Slyph's territory.
Old 2012-10-17, 10:58   Link #1845
chaos_alfa

Quote:
Oh wait, I think I should say "Inn" instead of "Bar"....the place where Kirito and Lyfa have their conversation in the Slyph's territory.
Yeah, I was thinking you could have meant the inn instead of the bar
Ending there seems very possibly.
Old 2012-10-17, 12:03   Link #1846
Vsin
Aldracity

Y'know, I really have to wonder...

...why the heck is the ALO netcode so borked that
Spoiler for Just in case:
Vsin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-10-17, 12:17   Link #1847
chaos_alfa

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vsin View Post
Y'know, I really have to wonder...

...why the heck is the ALO netcode so borked that
Spoiler for Just in case:
This was also something which was bugging me. It doesn't make sense that a multiplayer game would have a conflict if two players have the same IP adress.

When I read that scene my justification for Kirito not starting in his race's starting city was that his last coordinates in Sword Art Online where used.

This still wouldn't be a very satisfying explanation, because the change of Kirito appearing close to Suguha would still be very small.

Last edited by chaos_alfa; 2012-10-17 at 13:16.
Old 2012-10-17, 12:55   Link #1848
kyp275
Meh

It's something I attribute to Kawahara (or for that matter a great deal of the general public) being unfamiliar as to how networks function, because what they described is quite frankly impossible.

At least the semi-Incarnate System stuff has some basis to work from :P
kyp275 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-10-19, 01:43   Link #1849
iceyfw

Quote:
Originally Posted by kyp275 View Post
It's something I attribute to Kawahara (or for that matter a great deal of the general public) being unfamiliar as to how networks function, because what they described is quite frankly impossible.

At least the semi-Incarnate System stuff has some basis to work from :P
yup... the author is at fault for this. this is what happens when an author and to some extent the editor does not do enough research and just pass it off hoping the readers won't make a big deal out of it. i mean it worked with blonde haired females with green or blue eyes calling themselves Japanese when it comes to anime, mangas, and light novels right? btoom comes to mind as an example
iceyfw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-10-19, 02:05   Link #1850
Znail

But it's worth noting that almost every Hollywood movie makes far more mistakes with research and they got way more budget to find the flaws with too.
Znail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-10-19, 04:07   Link #1851
kyp275
Meh

Quote:
Originally Posted by Znail View Post
But it's worth noting that almost every Hollywood movie makes far more mistakes with research and they got way more budget to find the flaws with too.
I think most of the time, save for a few rare exceptions, accuracy isn't very high on their priority list. It's not so much whether there are money to spend on research to find the flaws, but rather they don't care about there being flaws - this goes for just about every visual media.

Most of the time it's shows based on real-life events, especially war, that tries to be as accurate as possible - ie. Band of Brothers and The Pacific etc.
Old 2012-10-19, 07:20   Link #1852
NoirX
ぼっち
*Author

Quote:
I think most of the time, save for a few rare exceptions, accuracy isn't very high on their priority list. It's not so much whether there are money to spend on research to find the flaws, but rather they don't care about there being flaws - this goes for just about every visual media.

Most of the time it's shows based on real-life events, especially war, that tries to be as accurate as possible - ie. Band of Brothers and The Pacific etc.
Agreed. Since for shows like this, most important purpose for them is to make money while entertaining the viewers at the same time. It's different from those shows which purpose is to tell the exact event as detail as possible. Details are just complimentary for shows like SAO and such.
Old 2012-10-19, 09:11   Link #1853
ronelm2000
Moe Kyun~!

Quote:
Originally Posted by chaos_alfa View Post
This was also something which was bugging me. It doesn't make sense that a multiplayer game would have a conflict if two players have the same IP adress.

When I read that scene my justification for Kirito not starting in his race's starting city was that his last coordinates in Sword Art Online where used.

This still wouldn't be a very satisfying explanation, because the change of Kirito appearing close to Suguha would still be very small.
Well, I know some networking (I'm a CS student, you know.)

...Apparently, on a local net router/switch such as ours, there is a chance that it'll redirect the packet to the wrong device. This is assuming that you're a using a "retro" router... (Hmm... Kirito makes computers... I guess that counts on a far-fetched scale)..

The chance? around 0.1%. Even then, the computer would usually reject that packet, unless at the time it was also receiving UDP packets. (Yes, I'm also assuming that, else it would be simply impossible: TCP tracks the originator.)

Next, the game itself must accept the packet. Considering how ALO does NOT seem crappy, it seems quite impossible. THEN AGAIN, ALO might not have accounted for UDP packets in the wrong computer so... 50%.

0.05% + plot = 100%?
ronelm2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-10-19, 09:59   Link #1854
chaos_alfa

Quote:
Agreed. Since for shows like this, most important purpose for them is to make money while entertaining the viewers at the same time. It's different from those shows which purpose is to tell the exact event as detail as possible. Details are just complimentary for shows like SAO and such.
But SAO deals heavily with technology and it even gave in this instance an understandable explanation of why the conflict happened. If the author gives a real life explanation I expect it to be right otherwise he should have left it vague by leaving out the word IP.
Old 2012-10-19, 11:19   Link #1855
kyp275
Meh

Quote:
But SAO deals heavily with technology and it even gave in this instance an understandable explanation of why the conflict happened. If the author gives a real life explanation I expect it to be right otherwise he should have left it vague by leaving out the word IP.
do you apply the same standard to shows that uses guns? you know, where they either never have to reload, or has entirely way too many rounds in a single clip, where handguns have the stopping power of a .50cal rifle, the kinetic force of a stick of C4, and characters run and shoot with said pistol with the accuracy of a expert sniper with a rifle in the prone?

SAO is ultimately an adventure story with a sci-fi twist, it's not about network protocols. Stuff like this happens in just about every single show ever made, anime or not.
Old 2012-10-19, 11:23   Link #1856
NoirX
ぼっち
*Author

Quote:
Well, he might want to make it as detail as possible while at the same time not become too confusing for the readers. Leaving vague details on a story like SAO will cause even more confusion though. Not all readers are as advanced as you think, this explanation might be fit for those with lesser understanding I guess.
Old 2012-10-19, 12:01   Link #1857
Swordstriker21
Oshite mairu!!!

Quote:
Well, he might want to make it as detail as possible while at the same time not become too confusing for the readers. Leaving vague details on a story like SAO will cause even more confusion though. Not all readers are as advanced as you think, this explanation might be fit for those with lesser understanding I guess.
^This. Look at what happened w/ Mahouka Kokou no Rettousei. Some peeps find it too bothersome to read because of all the technical jargon. Although more discerning readers would actually want more plausible explanations in some cases.
Old 2012-10-19, 12:09   Link #1858
chaos_alfa

Quote:
do you apply the same standard to shows that uses guns? you know, where they either never have to reload, or has entirely way too many rounds in a single clip, where handguns have the stopping power of a .50cal rifle, the kinetic force of a stick of C4, and characters run and shoot with said pistol with the accuracy of a expert sniper with a rifle in the prone?

SAO is ultimately an adventure story with a sci-fi twist, it's not about network protocols. Stuff like this happens in just about every single show ever made, anime or not.
Quote:
I think the reason why this mistake is bugging me is because this is the only thing which I can't justify with what I know from real life or SAO. Most things in SAO are future tech or left vague so there is enough room to be able to think up a way to explain it, but not with this instance in my opinion.
Old 2012-10-20, 10:55   Link #1859
lightbringer
M9000

Quote:
Originally Posted by ronelm2000 View Post
0.05% + plot = 100%?
In other words, it's based on the assumption that an unlikely coincidence becomes reality. Just like most fiction. And we already know that this author has a high predisposition to so-called "ass-pulls" and following the "rule of cool" more often than not.
lightbringer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-10-20, 15:50   Link #1860
larethian

Quote:
Agreed. This has always been the author's primary weakness, trying to dabble into things he doesn't understand and giving half-assed explanations. Not that I have a huge problem with it, except when hardcore fanatics who know just as little jump to his defense blindly and rambling on how godly he is at times, which makes me facepalm so much.

Supplementary comment since it was brought up: As to Mahouka, at least the author knows what he's talking about even though it was shitload of complications. I prefer that to having 'myths' as basis for explanations though

On a side note: Any seasoned anime watcher should be able to tell Taketatsu Ayana's distinct voice (c'mon, it's Azusa and Kirino ). I wonder whether anime-only watchers' comments/speculations on this 'point' will get deleted in the episode 16 thread as well since AyuAyu's post on that got deleted lol. Or could it be that really non of the anime-only watchers can tell? (huge suspension of disbelief for me)

Last edited by larethian; 2012-10-20 at 16:09.
larethian is offline   Reply With Quote