AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Retired > Retired M-Z > Shin Sekai Yori

Notices

Old 2012-10-21, 21:01   Link #661
kyp275
Meh

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shadow5YA View Post
No it's not. From my experience, no one ever gives hugs often unless they're very close friends or in a relationship. The most classmates ever do normally is shake hands.
Do not assume your personal experiences with your local customs apply to the rest of the planet. Some places shakes hands as greetings, some includes hugs, others still includes kisses.

For what it's worth, where I'm from (northeast US), hugs are quite common during greetings and farewells with casual friends and acquaintances, primarily when at least one of the party is female.

Also, I just had to lol at people raging and going nuts because an anime adaptation of a serious SF novel didn't include the blatant yuri troll of a horribad manga version.
kyp275 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-10-21, 21:05   Link #662
Shadow5YA

Quote:
Originally Posted by kyp275 View Post
Do not assume your personal experiences with your local customs apply to the rest of the planet. Some places shakes hands as greetings, some includes hugs, others still includes kisses.

For what it's worth, where I'm from (northeast US), hugs are quite common during greetings and farewells with casual friends and acquaintances, primarily when at least one of the party is female.
Normal hugs are fine or whatever, but I'm pretty sure hugs from the back (which was what the anime showed) are less common. Do you really think embracing someone from the back and hugging someone normally from the front are the same?
Shadow5YA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-10-21, 21:14   Link #663
Solace
(ノಠ益ಠ)ノ彡┻━┻

Quote:
Normal hugs are fine or whatever, but I'm pretty sure hugs from the back (which was what the anime showed) are less common. Do you really think embracing someone from the back and hugging someone normally from the front are the same?
It depends. It's easier for women to show casual affection than it is for men in American society, however other cultures are different. For example men holding hands in Islamic cultures is considered perfectly normal, and kissing customs are widely different across the world even between genders. Even something as simple as a gesture of peace in one culture is considered offensive in another.

Humans are really weird.
Old 2012-10-21, 21:21   Link #664
Malkuth
Banned

Send a message via MSN to Malkuth
@kyp275: serious SF novel is one thing, Star Trek grade posts about baseless theories is another.

Also the manga seems to be a convenient punching bag here

Quote:
Originally Posted by Solace View Post
Humans are really weird.
bonobos are even weirder
Malkuth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-10-21, 21:28   Link #665
kyp275
Meh

Quote:
Where I'm from? no, it's not the same, but at least I recognize that just because that's the way it is here, doesn't mean it's the same everywhere, least of all a fictional post-apocalyptic world 1000 years in the future.

For example, go to a middle eastern country and offer to shake people's hands with your left hand and see what happens
Old 2012-10-21, 21:28   Link #666
FredFriendly
Beyond the Fringe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Solace View Post
Which is why I finished my post with a request to drop discussion of the novel and manga.
I, for one, being an anime only viewer, and one who hasn't done any skimming of the manga or even googling the title, wouldn't mind if you deleted all of your own posts discussing manga vs anime, manga vs novel, anime vs novel, or novel content itself. Or at least, as I believe the rules specify, put such discussions behind clearly labeled spoiler tags. I won't quote specifics, as then I would only be adding to the ridiculous amount of foreknowledge discussed in the open on this forum.
FredFriendly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-10-21, 21:32   Link #667
kyp275
Meh

Quote:
Originally Posted by Malkuth View Post
@kyp275: serious SF novel is one thing, Star Trek grade posts about baseless theories is another.
eh?

Quote:
Also the manga seems to be a convenient punching bag here
It's just too easy to resist
Old 2012-10-21, 21:36   Link #668
Malkuth
Banned

Send a message via MSN to Malkuth
Quote:
Originally Posted by FredFriendly View Post
I, for one, being an anime only viewer, and one who hasn't done any skimming of the manga or even googling the title, wouldn't mind if you deleted all of your own posts discussing manga vs anime, manga vs novel, anime vs novel, or novel content itself. Or at least, as I believe the rules specify, put such discussions behind clearly labeled spoiler tags. I won't quote specifics, as then I would only be adding to the ridiculous amount of foreknowledge discussed in the open on this forum.
I would, it's a shame to not be able to compare behind spoiler tags! Whether mods violate this or not.

Quote:
eh?
Second part was not refering to you but all those weird theories I read today here... sorry.

Quote:
It's just too easy to resist
Easy->yes
Fair->
Malkuth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-10-21, 21:40   Link #669
orion
Waiting for more taiyuki!

Quote:
I would, it's a shame to not be able to compare behind spoiler tags! Whether mods violate this or not.
:
You're suppose to make a comparison thread just like what happened to Hunter x Hunter.
Old 2012-10-21, 21:41   Link #670
kpk10
Banned

There won't be any time skip next episode.

It will take at least 2 more episodes, maybe 3.

They really did an amazing job adapting the novel so far. And the soundtrack and animation are also quite spectacular.
kpk10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-10-21, 21:42   Link #671
leokiko

Quote:
Originally Posted by orion View Post
You're suppose to make a comparison thread just like what happened to Hunter x Hunter.
Or give this a sub-forum.
leokiko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-10-21, 22:06   Link #672
Solace
(ノಠ益ಠ)ノ彡┻━┻

Quote:
Originally Posted by FredFriendly View Post
Opinion noted. Luckily for you, you didn't have to go and seek out spoilers and ruin the experience so that you could be armed with proper information to mitigate the damage from serious spoilers appearing. I've done my best to confront and contain the issue, and I had to do it in public unfortunately because settling it in private was going nowhere.

I have a tough line to walk between the rules, my own desire to participate in discussion, and my job as a moderator. Unfortunately this means that sometimes things get messy. Rest assured, as an anime only viewer, you haven't been spoiled on anything, even if it appears that way.

As far as future comparisons go, I've already (hopefully) made it clear that those are not allowed to continue. Enough has been said on the subject, and I will be focused on ensuring all discussion from here on is only about the anime.
Old 2012-10-21, 22:07   Link #673
Blonto

Quote:
I actually find hugs from behind to be more common in classrooms since frontal hugs force you to pay attention to the person in front of you. Hugs from behind are more casual because they're less obstructive so the person can continue doing what they want, like talking with someone else (also they don't require anyone to stand). People would often do it just because they needed a shoulder to lean on or because it would make it easier to share a chair.
However I think we can assume Shinsekai Yori's society mores are based on current Japanese ones, in which case, while I'm no expert, the Japanese have the whole concept of skinship so they definitively don't seem prudish in regards to female physical affection. I haven't been to Japan though so I can only guess.

Last edited by Solace; 2012-10-21 at 22:10. Reason: Let's not derail the topic by continuing that tangent.
Blonto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-10-21, 22:39   Link #674
Utsuro no Hako

Quote:
That hug wasn't intended to be normal -- Maria did it that way because she wanted to surprise a friend she hadn't seen in a while -- notice that when Saki turns around to see who's there, Maria moves her head to keep out of sight.

And yes, I've seen girls do exactly that sort of ambush-hug, not only with other girls but to guys they were friends with. Back in my high school drama club that sort of behavior wouldn't even be remarked upon.
Utsuro no Hako is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-10-23, 01:00   Link #675
whitecloud

You know when I saw one of the picture of the PK I'm actually thinking..where is akira? Not born yet?

This the kind of world that akira would definitely born into...

Last edited by whitecloud; 2012-10-23 at 05:22.
whitecloud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-10-23, 05:00   Link #676
Dauerlutscher
Marauder Shields

OMG. I was dumb enough and could not control myself and read the spoilers. Damn, damn, damn, damn.
Anyway, this show is great and i can't wait to see the rest of it.
Dauerlutscher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-10-23, 10:00   Link #677
Lenneth4

Send a message via MSN to Lenneth4
Quote:
Originally Posted by whitecloud View Post
You know when I saw one of the picture of the PK I'm actually thinking..where is akira? Not born yet?

This the kind of world that akira would definitely born into...
Maybe those SSY heroes are related to akira, keneda and the others...
Lenneth4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-10-23, 12:52   Link #678
Grey

Hmm, on second thought, I'll go with the hypothesis that the world is full of crazy mutated creatures. The only question is origin. The existence of something like the Library suggests pretty advanced bio-tech. So maybe the scientists caused the rats and exploding dogs. Unless a form of PK we haven't seen can cause mutations.

Those two syndromes feel like hammers just waiting to drop. "Fox in the Henhouse" and "Karma Demon." Psychology related to a predatorial killer and a vengeful killer?

Guessing everywhere.
Grey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-10-23, 20:19   Link #679
supermegasonic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grey View Post
Hmm, on second thought, I'll go with the hypothesis that the world is full of crazy mutated creatures. The only question is origin. The existence of something like the Library suggests pretty advanced bio-tech. So maybe the scientists caused the rats and exploding dogs. Unless a form of PK we haven't seen can cause mutations.

Those two syndromes feel like hammers just waiting to drop. "Fox in the Henhouse" and "Karma Demon." Psychology related to a predatorial killer and a vengeful killer?

Guessing everywhere.
its possible that some of the "karma demons" and what not are products of a person gone insane. they did say that there put genes to stop ppl from killing each other but its possible to have exceptions or mutations to them.
Old 2012-10-23, 20:24   Link #680
Kirarakim

From what I am reading about the manga adaption of the novel I am very happy that the anime did not go that route. I don't know how close the anime is to the novel but so far it's been fantastic.

That being said I wouldn't mind reading a translated version of the novel one day.

Tags
adventure, fantasy, science fiction, supernatural