AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > General > General Chat > Sports & Entertainment

Notices

Old 2013-06-21, 22:46   Link #101
KiraYamatoFan
Banned

Dear me. Someone must have given quite a huge brown envelope to the Congress before allowing anyone to build a park out of that very wild environment and considering how the first attempt to control those dinosaurs failed miserably.
KiraYamatoFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-06-22, 02:41   Link #102
Renegade334
Sleepy Lurker
*Graphic Designer

In the novel, the US government wasn't much aware of what was going on in Isla Nublar - much less that InGen wanted to build a theme park on it. However, at the beginning of the book, there was a g-man (an accountant or auditor of sorts) who was poking around, asking why Hammond was throwing money all over the globe (buying mines and factories, building up the world's largest collection of prehistoric amber stones) AND acquiring equipment that could have military applications (Cray XMP supercomputers, meant for DNA crunching but - in the wrong hands- also useful for unsanctioned nuclear/missile research). The last part triggered a tripwire in one of the government's watchdog programs and they consequently sent someone to investigate...so, I guess it can be chalked up to Hammond being extra sneaky and cautious, especially with the Costa Rican government (the novel described him as a much greedier and unscrupulous individual, but Spielberg preferred to turn him into a benevolent, grandfatherly figure in the movie), who actually are the ones who should have noticed something, but didn't. If they ever did, they must've looked away, comforted by the promise that the JP project could bring them big bucks. Costa Rica became much more cautious - even paranoid - in the The Lost World, though, due to a slew of other problems.

And as for the control loss issue, well, the entire system worked reasonably a-okay, until a certain Dennis Nedry tried to steal embryos and permanently compromised it thanks to his super-admin status, which made recovery efforts a bit tricky, if not downright clumsy.

Well...there is also the gender-changing, reproduction and migration parts...courtesy of a certain Dr. Wu's lack of familiarity with frog DNA, but that's another point of contention altogether.
...Aside from that, the security system was working relatively well (yes, there was the dino count misconception in the novel, but this was never really included in the movie) as a whole. Then Malcolm showed that it wasn't vigilant enough and then Nedry turned it into a snowballling trainwreck.

Last edited by Renegade334; 2013-06-22 at 12:17.
Renegade334 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-06-22, 07:20   Link #103
Mr Hat and Clogs
Did someone call a doctor

That premise for #4 sounds.... pretty iffy. Yeah... A theme park, after Hammond went on TV imploring the dinos to be left alone, and humanity to 'step aside'. Well, rare resource to exploited, must be exploited I guess. By tame raptors? Maybe instead of human/raptor hybrids (from the concept a while back), they just souped up the intelligence to crazy levels on them or whatever.
Old 2013-06-22, 09:41   Link #104
Vallen Chaos Valiant
Logician and Romantic

Taming the dinosaurs by just making them more docile genetically was brought up in the original novel. The idea was that theme park visitors aren't interested in real dinosaurs, but dinosaurs they imagined them to be.

This is amusingly reflected in reality of film making, as the studio clearly wasn't interested in making feathered dinosaurs that were accurate to science. Life imitating art.
Old 2013-06-22, 10:07   Link #105
MrTerrorist
Takao Tsundere Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Hat and Clogs View Post
That premise for #4 sounds.... pretty iffy. Yeah... A theme park, after Hammond went on TV imploring the dinos to be left alone, and humanity to 'step aside'. Well, rare resource to exploited, must be exploited I guess. By tame raptors? Maybe instead of human/raptor hybrids (from the concept a while back), they just souped up the intelligence to crazy levels on them or whatever.
I think prefer the controlled theme park version rather than the mutant dino soldier hybrid storyline that was once suggested.
Old 2013-09-11, 06:47   Link #106
MrTerrorist
Takao Tsundere Cruiser

Jurassic Park IV renamed Jurassic World, and it's coming in June 2015
Old 2013-09-13, 08:42   Link #107
Obelisk ze Tormentor
Black Steel Knight

^Thanx for updating the thread, Terrorist-san .

Here’s a bigger logo:

...and a little bit of concern (read: rant) from someone (who love the first JP) from The Guardian regarding Jurassic World:
Spoiler for a bit long:

For those who can’t wait to see dinosaurs eating humans on screen, I got this recent B-movie trailer called Age of Dinosaurs that worth some chuckles :
YouTube
Sorry; dynamic content not loaded. Reload?
Old 2013-09-14, 06:19   Link #108
Renegade334
Sleepy Lurker
*Graphic Designer

The problem with the JP franchise was the unprecedented success of the first film; the cinema industry wanted a second mega-blockbuster and practically petitioned (I believe they were both under contract, but I could be wrong) both Michael Crichton and Steven Spielberg to cook up a worthy sequel, to keep the machine running. The problem is that Michael Crichton, who is more into science-grounded polemics (State of Fear, Andromeda Strain, Timeline), cautionary tales and whatnot, eventually came up with a second book that didn't really lend itself to cinematographic adaptation. Sure, there are action scenes in the second half, but much of the whole is stuffed with ruminations on the mysteries of evolution and extinction and overall atmosphere is gloomier than Jurassic Park's.

So Spielberg essentially had to create a jewel out of a half-plot and ended up proposing the new park approach after trying to adapt whatever he could salvage from the novel (the trailer attack and the raptor chase). I can definitely see why he lost interest: he was obligated to make a movie without much of a guideline and he didn't have a clear idea of where he wanted to go, compared to when he was doing JP.

Oh, and this has been making the rounds - it's a pitch trailer (in other words, it's not even an official teaser, it's just a conceptual video) for JW:

YouTube
Sorry; dynamic content not loaded. Reload?
Old 2013-09-14, 07:48   Link #109
Mr Hat and Clogs

That's a pretty amusing little pitch trailer.
Old 2013-09-14, 12:32   Link #110
Akito Kinomoto
Sekiroad-Idols Sing Twice

Send a message via AIM to Akito Kinomoto
Quote:
Originally Posted by Obelisk ze Tormentor View Post
I guess you could say movie four is no longer...

*sunglasses pull.*

...a walk in the Park.
GANBARIMASU
Akito Kinomoto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-09-14, 21:22   Link #111
Master_Yoma
Nekokota Festival

So the Great White isnt the top predator of the sea anymore
Old 2013-09-14, 21:40   Link #112
Xellos-_^
Not Enough Sleep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Master_Yoma View Post
So the Great White isnt the top predator of the sea anymore
the great white was never THE top predator of the seas. Killer Whales eat their liver for breakfast.
Old 2013-09-14, 22:14   Link #113
Mr Hat and Clogs

At least Sharks kill for food. Killer Whales also do it for the luls... like Dolphins.
Old 2013-09-14, 22:45   Link #114
Xellos-_^
Not Enough Sleep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Hat and Clogs View Post
At least Sharks kill for food. Killer Whales also do it for the luls... like Dolphins.
something to do with intelligence, the smarter a animal is the more chance of it going pyscho.

Chimps have been know to eat the meat off colobus monkey when the monkey is still alive.

and Dolphins, never trust anything that smile that much. It is up to something.
Old 2013-10-14, 14:15   Link #115
Renegade334
Sleepy Lurker
*Graphic Designer

Quote:
Ty Simpkins, the plucky kid who helped Tony Stark work through his anxiety (and a bit of a terrorist problem) in “Iron Man 3,” is set for a lead in “Jurassic World,” multiple individuals familiar with the project have told TheWrap.

Colin Trevorrow (“Safety Not Guaranteed”) directs the 3D sequel that Universal has set for June 12, 2015.

Bryce Dallas Howard is nearing a deal for the film’s female lead, as TheWrap first reported. Trevorrow has had his eye on Simpkins for nearly a year, according to an individual familiar with the project.

“Jurassic Park” director Steven Spielberg is producing with Frank Marshall and Pat Crowley. Rick Jaffa and Amanda Silver wrote the script.

Simpkins, who turned 12 on August 6, is the very definition of child actor – he first appeared on TV at 3 weeks old, and has since amassed an IMDB page any 40-year-old would envy, including appearances in Spielberg’s 2005 version of “War of the Worlds” and with his sister Ryan in “Revolutionary Road.”

Simpkins, who recently starred in “Insidious” and its hit sequel, is repped by ICM Partners.
>> Source <<

Last edited by Renegade334; 2013-10-14 at 14:34.
Renegade334 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-05-29, 11:31   Link #116
Renegade334
Sleepy Lurker
*Graphic Designer

A few more details on JW, with hints from Trevorrow himself.
Old 2014-05-30, 21:44   Link #117
Obelisk ze Tormentor
Black Steel Knight

Poor Colin... he can’t catch a break can he?

What’s more amusing is reading all the negative comments regarding the genetically altered super-dino. Did they forget that the dinos in JP movies are already genetically-altered creatures? And now that JP in Jurassic World is a fully functioning theme-park that have been running for some time and the visitors have become jaded of the ‘normal’ dinos, having those greedy execs make the dinos bigger and badder (of course, with the promise of complete control over them) to amuse the visitors actually makes a lot of sense. In other words, it’s just business like usual. Now, the scriptwriter only need to come up with a smart excuse on how things go out of control in this movie and we’ll be fine. Granted, the story won’t be original, but that usually what happens when a franchise-movies hit the 4th mark.
Old 2014-05-31, 04:05   Link #118
Renegade334
Sleepy Lurker
*Graphic Designer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Obelisk ze Tormentor View Post
Did they forget that the dinos in JP movies are already genetically-altered creatures? And now that JP in Jurassic World is a fully functioning theme-park that have been running for some time and the visitors have become jaded of the ‘normal’ dinos, having those greedy execs make the dinos bigger and badder (of course, with the promise of complete control over them) to amuse the visitors actually makes a lot of sense. In other words, it’s just business like usual.
I think Trevorrow might have taken inspiration from a certain chapter from the original novel from Michael Crichton, where Hammond and Wu discuss the idea of producing (even more) "enhanced" dinos, specifically engineered for widespread commercial purposes, though Trevorrow is now going the other way: rather than making the animals smaller and tamer for public consumption (imagine a mini-raptor as a pet?), he wants to make the new species more...impressive, more primal.

I'm not sure about the idea of a completely novel dino, though... It sounds impressive on paper, but I think the audience might be more comfortable with names and shapes they might recognize like the t-rex (which was expressly made into the star of the first movie, though the raptors almost stole the show at the end) and the raptors.

Besides, it's my impression that fans of the franchise did not like the spinosaurus dethroning the t-rex (the star of the show) in JP3, so...introducing an even more dangerous alpha predator, possibly bigger and more powerful than Spiney? That's a gamble right there.
Old 2014-05-31, 04:37   Link #119
Vallen Chaos Valiant
Logician and Romantic

Yeah... At some point it stops being a dinosaur park and becomes a freakshow park. Separating dinosaurs from reality is what happens in films, but to do it intentionally, and justifying it, maybe a bridge too far.
Old 2014-05-31, 05:56   Link #120
Obelisk ze Tormentor
Black Steel Knight

Quote:
Originally Posted by Renegade334 View Post
I'm not sure about the idea of a completely novel dino, though... It sounds impressive on paper, but I think the audience might be more comfortable with names and shapes they might recognize like the t-rex (which was expressly made into the star of the first movie, though the raptors almost stole the show at the end) and the raptors.

Besides, it's my impression that fans of the franchise did not like the spinosaurus dethroning the t-rex (the star of the show) in JP3, so...introducing an even more dangerous alpha predator, possibly bigger and more powerful than Spiney? That's a gamble right there.
The thing is, how ‘accurate’ the dinosaur itself is not really a problem. People seem to forget how ‘out there’ the Dilophosaur in the first movie is (neck frill & spitting venom), the Pteranodon with teeth in the 3rd movie (that one is kinda funny since having teeth really defeats the purpose of its "nodon" name), etc.

People dislike Spinosaur in the 3rd movie not because it’s bigger & badder or ‘novel’, but because (like you said) it single-handedly ‘dethroned’ the T-Rex that they love. Also, if the rumors are true, even though the new super-dino will be the main threat in JW, the T-Rex will still have a big role to play (beside the de-facto star of JP movies, the Raptors).

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vallen Chaos Valiant View Post
Yeah... At some point it stops being a dinosaur park and becomes a freakshow park. Separating dinosaurs from reality is what happens in films, but to do it intentionally, and justifying it, maybe a bridge too far.
Jurassic Park being a 'freakshow park' I think is the theme in the original novel though. Many of them may look like Dinosaur outside but they are still freak creatures made by Ingen (Lysine deficient, changing sex, camo-Carnotaurs, etc).