AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Macross > Past Macross Series

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 2010-11-10, 03:07   Link #2281
magnuskn

What Lancel said. I just woke up and his answers looks to cover the response better than I could at this moment. <yawns, stretches>
Old 2010-11-10, 16:18   Link #2282
Father Hentai

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yot-chan View Post
Conversely, if Sheryl had been someplace else (like on a different fleet), wouldn't Grace have concentrated her attack there, thus sparing Frontier entirely?

I don't believe so. Grace is too much of a scientist and somehow I believe she was aware (through the conspiracy with Leon?) in which fleet Ranka was. Sheryl was just a test person to her and but one "less fortunate" testing person is better than no testing person.
Old 2010-11-10, 17:33   Link #2283
Lancel

Guh, that just drips with evil, especially when you consider Fairies 1-8.
Old 2010-11-10, 17:41   Link #2284
Swampstorm
Lovestruck Fool
*Fansubber

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yot-chan View Post
Conversely, if Sheryl had been someplace else (like on a different fleet), wouldn't Grace have concentrated her attack there, thus sparing Frontier entirely?
If Sheryl was Grace's main target, then didn't she have plenty of opportunities to get rid of Sheryl while she was still at the hospital?

Also, I was under the impression Grace only openly expressed her malice towards Sheryl in episode 18 because Grace had no need of Sheryl at that point (having discovered Ranka's power) and was convinced that there was absolutely nothing that Sheryl could do to change her own fate or that of Frontier. This was a mistake that ultimately proved to be Grace's undoing.

A Macross series where all three protagonists are vital to a successful outcome? Unpossible!
Old 2010-11-10, 17:52   Link #2285
Father Hentai

Swampi, start look episode 15 12:09 min. Then you know when Grace already wanted to dump her.
Old 2010-11-10, 18:11   Link #2286
Lancel

This does become something of an odd question. Grace did seem to want to keep Sheryl out of the loop as it were and "disposed" by leaving her in a hospital with her illness, left to "recover" there indefinitely, replacing the blood vials so no one would find out.

The question is, why did Grace tell Sheryl after Sheryl started realizing something was up and got the resolve to go her own way? My best guess is that she wanted to crush Sheryl's morale so she wouldn't have the heart to do anything, and that almost work, but then if you just want her out of the way and have no use for her, why leave her alive? Best figuring there is that killing Sheryl might have drawn unwanted attention, or, my real best reason, Galaxy just wanted to watch Sheryl suffer because she was Mao's granddaughter, then have a good laugh when she finally died.

I loved the finale to the series, but I did feel like a lot of things were just missed or skipped due to the time constraints. All the plot threads were very hastily tied up and tossed against a massive musical battle of such epic awesome that we totally ignored the fact that a lot didn't get tied up very neatly. I would have liked to have seen some closure with Sheryl regarding Grace. I mean Grace was Sheryl's manager for ten years, and pretty much the one constant in Sheryl's life for those ten years. The drama CDs imply there was slightly more to their relationship than just manager/idol, and most countries these days would say Sheryl needs foster parents at age 7. In fact, once again, we are left with a single conclusion that Grace -should- have been Sheryl's adoptive mother, though that could of course have merely been in official documents only. Even still, I feel it was a weak point that the details of their relationship was basically glossed over, and the only apparent closure on it all is the shot of Sheryl's pissed off face (which I made my avatar) right before Quarter and Battle Frontier tears Battle Galaxy apart.
Old 2010-11-10, 18:21   Link #2287
magnuskn

I think the option is the most likely where Grace wants to see Sheryl suffer, due to her long-term vengeance against Ranshe and Mao.

And while I do agree in essence that a ton of things were left unresolved, in the case of the whole Galaxy conspiracy my thought is that it was left so unclear as to set up the next series, where we'll get normal humantradi vs. cyborgs.
Old 2010-11-10, 19:47   Link #2288
Father Hentai

Killing Sheryl may bring up more questions and the trace would come back to her as she is the person next to her.

She has only being kept alive because Grace felt pity for her and as well she knew that Sheryl will die sooner or later. To that time no cure against her disease is developed and especially not at the stage of her disease.

As far as I understood, Grace wanted Sheryl to "die naturally" or in a fight during the Gallia IV incidence.
Old 2010-11-10, 20:00   Link #2289
Lancel

Still not sure about Grace. Galia IV though wasn't much of a fight at the time Grace tried to kill Sheryl and the Marines. All she did was Fold Bomb the planet and expected it to kill Sheryl. Then it didn't but she missed her opportunity to pin her death on the Vajra. I don't know, it gets complicated, and very little really explains it. Maybe she did want her to live out the rest of her days and try to make something out of it. Grace did know about Alto at least.
Old 2010-11-10, 20:08   Link #2290
Father Hentai

As already mentioned. Grace does not need to kill directly, because she is already dead due to the incurable disease. There is no need to put hand on her although she is capable due to her cyborg body.

As magnus mentioned maybe this is somehow a revenge but I more believe she just kept her alive to demonstrate her the true power behind her carreer.

Like she supported her in the last years, she now crashes her slowly by letting the disease do all the work.
Old 2010-11-11, 18:47   Link #2291
moncikoma

Grace can't kill sheryl, because she's just some meganeobassannn...

Sheryl is INVINCIBLE!!!
Old 2010-11-11, 19:06   Link #2292
Father Hentai

Quote:
Originally Posted by moncikoma View Post
Grace can't kill sheryl, because she's just some meganeobassannn...

Sheryl is INVINCIBLE!!!
She cut herself with a knife and started to bleed...
Old 2010-11-11, 19:15   Link #2293
moncikoma

Quote:
Originally Posted by Father Hentai View Post
That was intentional...to have attention from Alto and the viewers, about how MOE can she be...
Old 2010-11-11, 19:22   Link #2294
Father Hentai

But it shows she is not invincible.
Old 2010-11-11, 19:22   Link #2295
Lancel

Quote:
Originally Posted by Father Hentai View Post
Quote:
That was intentional...to have attention from Alto and the viewers, about how MOE can she be...
A wizard did it.
Old 2010-11-11, 19:22   Link #2296
Yot-chan
Minmay Guard

Quote:
She should've just taken off her top...that would have garnered more attention from all interested parties.
Old 2010-11-12, 03:30   Link #2297
moncikoma

i love this angle...

she can play a piano [PERFECT IDOL]...i hope it is not just a PV with somebody else playin

dunno about may'n (can she play it too?)

i hope next year [maybe around august] she will play guitar! [nyan3 clip collection] LOL
Old 2010-11-12, 09:26   Link #2298
Lancel

I find that in real life a lot of singers know how to play piano.
Old 2010-11-12, 17:50   Link #2299
moncikoma

But not all diva can play...... For example : ayumi hamasaki
Old 2010-11-15, 03:51   Link #2300
pinoy78
Yahk, DECULTURE!

That reminds me of when my friends and I were waiting for May'n and Megumi's AX concert to start.

We could clearly see a Steinway piano in the middle of the stage. So we started a conversation as to who was going to use it.

Not really knowing both performers musical backgrounds it took a couple of minutes before we all figured it out who'd be playing it.
Closed Thread

Tags
characters