AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series

Notices

Old 2006-10-05, 07:53   Link #41
wao
OK.

I forgot entirely to mention one thing that annoyed me greatly about the first episode. eggplant had mentioned it when he had previewed it in Japan but I realised I forgot to talk about it because I was trying so hard to forget it.

Namely, the singing and crying bit.
Spoiler:

Another thing: the voice acting was quite nice to listen to. The conversation in the bus felt a little natural, at least. Like real high school girls, y'know. My favourite was Claire - her voice came across as quite natural and genuinely Modern Highschool Badass to me. I liked the exchange with that guy (her boyfriend?). But for some reason I also really liked the little girl who was looking for her doll Wendy. She sounded genuine but not too whiny (cough Eureka 7 cough), for some reason. Maybe my ears are just really biased.

By the way, I mentioned I liked the OP very much, but I also am really impressed with the eyecatches that are done in the same style. Not just the lovely illustration, but the music that goes along with it. I liked Akira Senju's work in Princess Arete if it counts for anything...
Old 2006-10-05, 09:47   Link #42
DoReMiFaSo
Samba!!

I agree with you. It was a bit over the top. I'd rather they left that part out.

I found the acting of Rose's sister voice very convincing as well. It sounded like a small girl with all those slurring when she talked.

BTW, can someone tell me what's the advantage/disadvantage of doing prescoring compare to the regular way?
DoReMiFaSo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-10-05, 11:31   Link #43
Kaoru Chujo
Yuuki Aoi

Quote:
Originally Posted by wao
I forgot entirely to mention one thing that annoyed me greatly about the first episode...Namely, the singing and crying bit....
That was one of the two things I was thinking of when I said there were some things I found "hard to accept."
Spoiler:
YUUKI Aoi 悠木碧. b92.03.27 (age 29). 2008 Kurenai (Murasaki). 2009 Yumeiro Pâtissière (Ichigo), Kiruminzuu (Riko), Yutori-chan (Yutori-chan). 2010 Vampire Bund (Mina Tepeş), Shiki (Sunako), Samurai Girls (Juubee), Pokémon: Black and White (Iris). 2011 Madoka Magica (Madoka), Gosick (Victorique), A-Channel (Tooru). 2012 Symphogear (Hibiki). 2014 Pilot's Love Song (Claire/Nina), Nanatsu no Taizai (Diane). 2015 Owari no Seraph (Krul Tepes), Rokka no Yuusha (Fremy). 2016 Boku no Hero Academia (Tsuyu, Froppy). 2017 Kino no Tabi (Kino). 2021 Kumo desu ga (watashi), Kaizoku Oujo (Karin), Heike Monogatari (Biwa), etc., etc. Total of 513 roles in anime and games.
Kaoru Chujo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-10-05, 12:15   Link #44
eggplant
Eggplant

Quote:
Originally Posted by DoReMiFaSo
BTW, can someone tell me what's the advantage/disadvantage of doing prescoring compare to the regular way?
Director Matsuo Kou was explaining prior to the screening event that during conventional voice dubbing sessions, the complete dialogue is time coded to the very second, which is essentially determined according to the director's discretion. This leaves out any room for spontaneous and impulsive acting on the part of the seiyuus. Matsuo in fact, believes they do a better job during their rehearsal stage.

For prescoring, the seiyuu must act according to the storyboard and script alone, where there is freedom for more expression. Unfortunately, the seiyuus were not used to this system, where it took them several episodes to get the feel Matsuo wanted.

One thing that goes for prescoring, the recording process sure goes fast. RED GARDEN commenced in April and they have already completed 13 episodes, unthinkable for a standard dubbing anime. Then again, I don't see many titles which have that kind of leeway, so I suppose the prescoring method won't become something common.

Yuri de yuri de yuriyuri ne!--Tsunomoto Rein

eggplant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-10-05, 13:29   Link #45
MrProphet
The Commissar Vanishes

Send a message via ICQ to MrProphet
I didn't mind the singing at all. I remember eggplant saying that he didn't like the fact that she sang badly, but like wao I attributed to the fact that she was sobbing.

It was unexpected, but it was not cheesy or out of place in my opinion.

Oh, and by the way, if anyone is interesting in the regular dubbing process in anime, check these videos out. They are not Red Garden, but they give you a pretty good idea of the hectic atmosphere that Red Garden is trying to avoid.

My-Hime: http://youtube.com/watch?v=7bFB1UEvoWA
My-Otome: http://youtube.com/watch?v=HQh604Aa4Pk
Azumanga Daioh: http://youtube.com/watch?v=viTzfjoaF0w
Saikano: http://youtube.com/watch?v=Xpp_EonsoAI
Trinity Blood: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5_G1MNAOAqc
MrProphet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-10-05, 14:45   Link #46
sukreih
okusenman!okusenman!

One thing that extremely bothered me in that anime was the fact that there were almost no black or coloured folks in New York City(there is one black guy,the police officer..and I found male six coloured folks among the crowd.No colured female! And this is NY?).Neither are obese people :P

Come to think of it I rarely see coloured or obese people in anime..but it kinnda bothered me still cuz you know..it's set in NY and all that.Maybe I'm being too race sensitive..
sukreih is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-10-05, 14:48   Link #47
MrProphet
The Commissar Vanishes

It's a priviledged school for the rich white kids, I assumed. Perhaps they are pointing at that?

But you are correct to a point.
Old 2006-10-05, 17:13   Link #48
DoReMiFaSo
Samba!!

eggplant: Thanks for the info.

MrProphet: Those links are really interesting. It's cool to look at the seiyuu's expression when they are dubbing.
Old 2006-10-06, 09:15   Link #49
wao
OK.

That's true. We need to see more obese people.

I was rewatching episode 1 and actually paid more attention this time...

Spoiler for not much of a spoiler:

By teh way, another thing I forgot to mention in my last post: I was quite impressed at how there's this one shot where the scenery of the island looks hand-painted, but when they move the camera it's actually 3D. And it's pretty cool how the ending montage actually fits the song quite well, it's almost like the characters are lip-synching the words at some parts. The reversal of animation is cool too (like that kid going down and up the stairs)

EDIT: Aw shucks, I read the Japanese wikipedia by accident. Bit disappointing that it's very easy now for them to go down the monster-of-the-week route because
Spoiler:

Another thing I noticed on the main site was that it was copyright 1997-2006. Have they been planning this for that long?!...

Last edited by wao; 2006-10-06 at 10:58.
wao is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-10-06, 11:30   Link #50
MrProphet
The Commissar Vanishes

I am interested in those two creepy superhuman men who kidnapped Liz from Lula's people. The speed and strengh they've shown was definitely supernatural.

Of all the girls, only Liz seems to have died permanently, while Rose, Claire, Rachel and Kate are now somehow kept in a semi-death (if you believe Lula, that is). So whatever was done to Liz by those kidnappers certainly disturbed Lula's plans.

And damn... I clicked on wao's spoiler. While I am absolutely not averse to spoilers, I think I would have done without that one. So, here's a warning to you guys... if you want the mystery to continue, don't see that second spoiler above, nor on my own spoiler below!

Spoiler:
Old 2006-10-06, 12:42   Link #51
Kaoru Chujo
Yuuki Aoi

Quote:
Originally Posted by sukreih
One thing that extremely bothered me in that anime was the fact that there were almost no black or coloured folks in New York City....
That struck me, too. But anime hardly ever portray western countries accurately. And shows in the west are even worse about Japan or China.
YUUKI Aoi 悠木碧. b92.03.27 (age 29). 2008 Kurenai (Murasaki). 2009 Yumeiro Pâtissière (Ichigo), Kiruminzuu (Riko), Yutori-chan (Yutori-chan). 2010 Vampire Bund (Mina Tepeş), Shiki (Sunako), Samurai Girls (Juubee), Pokémon: Black and White (Iris). 2011 Madoka Magica (Madoka), Gosick (Victorique), A-Channel (Tooru). 2012 Symphogear (Hibiki). 2014 Pilot's Love Song (Claire/Nina), Nanatsu no Taizai (Diane). 2015 Owari no Seraph (Krul Tepes), Rokka no Yuusha (Fremy). 2016 Boku no Hero Academia (Tsuyu, Froppy). 2017 Kino no Tabi (Kino). 2021 Kumo desu ga (watashi), Kaizoku Oujo (Karin), Heike Monogatari (Biwa), etc., etc. Total of 513 roles in anime and games.
Kaoru Chujo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-10-08, 14:52   Link #52
AisuruMirai
箱者

I'd wanted to post earlier but was having trouble accessing the forums, for some reason. I liked this first episode tremendously & wanted to reiterate what Kaoru Chujo wrote:
Quote:
Twice as ambitious as anything yet except Death Note. Actual emotion. A complex story and strong characters. Some things that required effort to accept, like the noses. Lots of esthetic imagination. Detailed animation.
I loved the OP art & the art in general, & I would have posted some OP screencaps 4 or 5 days ago, but the aforementioned forum access problem prevented it. & I'm at a different computer now.

I didn't mind the noses or lips much. Colors & costume design were nice. No especially cliched characters that I recognized, but...why does Lula have to look so much like Marilyn Manson? That sort of bothered me; I wonder if it was intentional.

The singing: I thought that it was a little strange, but people are a little strange. I took it as a choice in characterization, a telling straying from the usual path of grief. So I liked it. A good part of the "actual emotion" for me.

The ending was goofy. So was the ED. But this & Asatte no Houkou (I've already watched it twice)(Does it have a thread yet?) look best so far, to me at least. Both of them have from the outset that lovely swirling mystery--which hopefully won't become a downward spiral--that I long to see when the new shows appear.

では、
アイスル未来

EDIT:
Quote:
Originally Posted by AisuruMirai
Asatte no Houkou (I've already watched it twice)(Does it have a thread yet?)
Oh, there it is.

Last edited by AisuruMirai; 2006-10-08 at 15:18.
AisuruMirai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-10-08, 15:12   Link #53
fignae
floofer. floof.

Yay, another Asatte no Houkou and Red Garden fan! Let's hope they hold up....

Someone said to me that RG has a retro look (fairly obvious) and a similar color palette with Bee Train's Noir and Madlax. Does anyone see that too? That got me to thinking if it resembles film noir at all. There does seem to be a good bit of darkness and death.

That talk about dubbing the voices has me anticipating ep 5 now. Argh.
fignae is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-10-08, 21:45   Link #54
Guido
Snobby Gentleman

Before watching the first episode, I thought that the animation would annoy me but found it suitable and fitting for the dark atmosphere.

Come to think that GONZO outsourced its animation staff to America, since I felt watching those of HBO's or SHOWTIME's late-night TV animation shows.

The setting and cinematics brings me a late-80's nostalgia.

It's a psychological thriller and accomplishes to keep consistency a mood for the dread and ominous things unfolding.

Spoiler:
Guido is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-10-09, 07:08   Link #55
andromeda0201

I just hope someone will sub this, it really reminds me of Gankutsuou, which was what I considered a masterpiece and nothing could go wrong with the Rozen Maiden director...at least I hope so
andromeda0201 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-10-09, 13:31   Link #56
I<3killerloli's

i think this is the remake of the horror movie Supiria that they have mentioned before

^ No, this has nothing to do with Suspiria as far as I'm concerned (though I'm oozing over when that will come to fruition as I loved that movie) but it's a great way to show off what they can do with a supernatural vibe setting.

I just want to know: who's subbing this? I hate the fact that I can't understand Japanese...
I<3killerloli's is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-10-09, 13:39   Link #57
DoReMiFaSo
Samba!!

After rewatching the episode, I like the opening sequence more and more. It's just so beautiful and the song is getting into my head. Also, the singing part in the middle is not as annoying as I initial thought. It's pretty effective actually.

There's one thing I noticed though. How does Claire know about the death of Liz before the cops inform the school about it? Did she hear it from the news?

Oh, and Rachel's voice somehow remind me of Hirano Aya's voice.
Old 2006-10-09, 19:17   Link #58
Dark`
The Terror of Death

Quote:
Originally Posted by I<3killerloli's View Post
I just want to know: who's subbing this? I hate the fact that I can't understand Japanese...
Someone is. Just be patient, it'll be out eventually.
Dark` is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-10-10, 03:39   Link #59
andromeda0201

yay!! gg picked this up!!
hopefully they won't drop this when it gets licensed though, since its a Gonzo production
andromeda0201 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-10-10, 10:11   Link #60
Lost

Episode one has been subbed.
Lost is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
drama, supernatural