AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Retired > Retired M-Z > sola

Notices

View Poll Results: sola - Episode 6 Rating
Perfect 10 46 53.49%
9 out of 10 : Excellent 27 31.40%
8 out of 10 : Very Good 10 11.63%
7 out of 10 : Good 2 2.33%
6 out of 10 : Average 0 0%
5 out of 10 : Below Average 0 0%
4 out of 10 : Poor 0 0%
3 out of 10 : Bad 0 0%
2 out of 10 : Very Bad 0 0%
1 out of 10 : Painful 1 1.16%
Voters: 86. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old 2007-05-14, 14:41   Link #81
Mueti
あ!

Send a message via ICQ to Mueti
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sorrow-K View Post
You must have missed Tsukihime then. And why should a series' followers have any influence over one's opinion of a show. At all. That's crazy, IMO.

Anyway, with that said, I'm not sure why everyone has gone head-over-heels for this show, since I don't think it's done anything all that special so far. It's mildly interesting and enjoyable, but hardly ranks among the better titles this season, or the better titles in this genre. Anyway, I'm seeing a whole heap of similarities between this and Tsukihime, and so far I'd say the latter has Sola beat in pretty much every department: more enigmatic characters, more engaging mystery, more dense, layered atmosphere, better execution and direction, etc, etc. I know I'm going to offend people with this comment, but, as much as I hate to say it, it just feels like Sola is coming off as a poor man's Tsukihime to this stage.

With that said, I don't dislike this show, I just think people are getting a little over-enthusiastic about it, in my eyes.
I'm going to second everything everything you said there. I like the show very much but then again, some people's reactions seem quite a bit over the top. (*looks at Areguzanda* ) It's not THAT great, or rather not yet, I still don't know how good it will be...there's still something missing imo, that certain something which would make it really special (apart from Matsuri that is ).

I don't think that Tsukihime's better though (leaving aside that we won't really know until sola is finished). I liked it when I watched it the first time but after having played the (much much better) game, I tried rewatching it and turned it off after a few minutes because it sucked so hard.
Old 2007-05-14, 15:36   Link #82
lightbringer
M9000

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ascaloth View Post
All the critics who questioned the validity of Aono's presence in the whole shebang are going to eat their words.
That would be me. I actually found the Aono/Koyori episode bad enough to warrant a 1. I still think it sucked, but I can no longer consider Aono a pointless character

Quote:
10/10. Anything less is a travesty.
I'd give it 11/10 if I could

Quote:
9) Somehow, I don't think the last scene is Matsuri's bye-bye. Don't ask me why, I just have this feeling Yorito will return home next episode to find her sitting pretty somewhere within his house.
This is surely not the last encounter between the two of them, as it's not late enough in the anime for that yet. (A certain classroom scene in Tsukihime comes to mind.) The more important question is, is there a happy ending for Matsuri and Yorito where they can spend time together from then onward?
Old 2007-05-14, 16:54   Link #83
Deathkillz
~ You're dead ^__^* ~
*Graphic Designer

Send a message via MSN to Deathkillz
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mueti View Post
I'm going to second everything everything you said there. I like the show very much but then again, some people's reactions seem quite a bit over the top. (*looks at Areguzanda* ) It's not THAT great, or rather not yet, I still don't know how good it will be...there's still something missing imo, that certain something which would make it really special (apart from Matsuri that is ).
tbh i dont think that sola was really ment to be that much of a drama type series so comparing it with tsukihim seems kinda wrong ~ but i agree that it is missing a sense of "dramatic tension" when it gets right down to it ~ but because i wasnt expecting much in the first place it kinda hit harder than normal ~ which is a good thing for thise series now lets see it continue shall we ^_^

Siggy: hohohohoho~ | AnimeHistory welcome to our blog ~ | Summer2009 early review
Under the radar series Summer2009: Kanamemo, GA Geijutsuka Art, NEEDLESS
Old 2007-05-14, 18:05   Link #84
Nemesis2124

No need to reiterate how good this episode was. My only concern is that the current mood may become a bit overbearing if it continues for a while. ^^; I'll only add that I'm fairly impressed with how well planned and paced this show is. They've managed to get into 6 episodes what usually takes double that amount. Density is the word I suppose?

Also, I'm wondering about the next episode; I'm somewhat expecting the standard issue episode where a lead character mopes and reflects in the absence of their counterpart (the ep title fits too I suppose). But, with the writers aptitude for pulling the rug out from under us where cliches are concerned, I'm not so sure.
Old 2007-05-14, 18:45   Link #85
Wandering_Youth
lost in wonder forever...

Spoiler:
Old 2007-05-14, 18:49   Link #86
Sorrow-K
Somehow I found out

Quote:

I don't think that Tsukihime's better though (leaving aside that we won't really know until sola is finished). I liked it when I watched it the first time but after having played the (much much better) game, I tried rewatching it and turned it off after a few minutes because it sucked so hard.
I rue that I haven't had the chance to play the Tsukihime game, since I really enjoyed that anime. I admit that it did have some major flaws, though, but there were some concepts and aspects in it that it executed almost immaculately (mystery, music and Arc's personality being the most prominent, IMO). It'd really surprise me if the game wasn't significantly better than the anime, since it was obvious that we were only getting a glimpse of the entire story, but the Tsukihime anime stands on its feet by itself quite competently, IMO... unlike the Fate/Stay Night anime.

We won't know for certain if Sola is better than Tsukihime until it ends, but at this stage, the latter is far ahead of the former in my eyes.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Anacone View Post
Not all have seen Tsukihime, as being one I can't say if everything is shown already there or "better", but I'm thinking what then if Tsukihime has presented similarities before. Sure there's room for another one and I also believe this is not last time. Maybe I check it some day, but untill then I'm enjoying Sola fully.
Lists of similarities between Tsukihime and Sola:
Spoiler:
The main similarities involve the premise and some of the character relationships, and whatnot. One isn't a clone of the other, but the similarities do strike me, and I just think Tsukihime is a far better executed series than Sola.
Old 2007-05-14, 18:54   Link #87
kct

Send a message via MSN to kct
Quote:
Well...I do not want to go into comparisons and things like inter-background relationships, something which sola is similar to Tsukihime in some aspects, but one of the biggest differences is that the creators themselves practically established a world of their own for Tsukihime (from the game), something which can be even traced from to several other things, like how even F/SN came to happen.

Spoiler for Dead Apostles:

I guess the writer's elements is starting to show here?
Old 2007-05-14, 19:21   Link #88
Icerack

I do see certain similarities with Tsukihime, but those traits can be shared with alot of anime/VN's.

The two series are quite different and I like them both so far. I'm glad Sola is getting more into the story now rather than random episodes. I wonder if they gonna completly leave Mana out of the picture cause it seems that the main story is about Aono-Matsuri-Yorito now.
Old 2007-05-14, 19:34   Link #89
Ascaloth
I don't give a damn, dude

Quote:
Originally Posted by PastPrime View Post
Actually, I got the impression that it was late and the sun had already set. I think that she is the same as them, it's just that she has been told differently and considers herself to be different.
Nice try, but IMHO, an invalid observation.

Take a look again. Just before the scene with the Takeshi-Mayuko duo with the doctor, they flashed a shot of the hospital exterior....in broad daylight.

In anime, if that's not an indication of the time of day, then I don't know what is.
Old 2007-05-14, 20:04   Link #90
Telliamed
sensei no pet

Quote:
Originally Posted by DragoonKain3 View Post
One thing is for sure; no one will ever call Mana and Yorito Osana-Najimi anymore.
Just because they're not literally "childhood friends" doesn't mean they don't fit the stereotype.

Quote:
Take a look again. Just before the scene with the Takeshi-Mayuko duo with the doctor, they flashed a shot of the hospital exterior....in broad daylight.
It began raining after the fight. Matsuri was able to return to the house safely, and Takeshi went back to the church where Mayuko would have yelled at him to go to the hospital, and went with him since the sky was overcast.
Old 2007-05-14, 20:28   Link #91
Ashlotte
Clockwork

10...Absolutely a 10. Nothing else would do and even that doesnt seem enough. Something about the pacing and the mood throughout the whole episode really got me. Matsuri just keeps becoming more endearing every episode mostly on account of how full and real her character comes across as. She doesnt fit any kindof cliche or "type" that immediatly comes to mind she is her own unique entity that I cant really draw any comparisons with any other female character of any anime in recent memory.

The supporting characters are enjoyable aswell, but matsuri and her mannerisms really make the show for me.
Old 2007-05-14, 20:33   Link #92
Ascaloth

Quote:
Originally Posted by Telliamed View Post
It began raining after the fight. Matsuri was able to return to the house safely, and Takeshi went back to the church where Mayuko would have yelled at him to go to the hospital, and went with him since the sky was overcast.
There were no signs that Takeshi received inpatient treatment requiring him to stay overnight, and all the signs that he received on-the-spot outpatient treatment instead....still, I'll grant there's a possibility there.

P.S. And even if that's the case....how did Mayuko leave the hospital in broad daylight afterwards?
Old 2007-05-14, 21:03   Link #93
orion
Waiting for more taiyuki!

Quote:
There were no signs that Takeshi received inpatient treatment requiring him to stay overnight, and all the signs that he received on-the-spot outpatient treatment instead....still, I'll grant there's a possibility there.

P.S. And even if that's the case....how did Mayuko leave the hospital in broad daylight afterwards?

The same way Hazuki or Elfriede manged to travel in daylight in Moon Phase.

Spoiler for Moon Phase:

But still, I think the events with Aono are in a different order...

Spoiler:

Poor Matsuri was crying when Yorito promised again to show her the daytime sky. She's still in love with the guy.
Old 2007-05-14, 21:24   Link #94
Ascaloth

Quote:
Originally Posted by orion View Post
The same way Hazuki or Elfriede manged to travel in daylight in Moon Phase.

Spoiler for Moon Phase:
Imouto-in-a-bag, deshou?
Old 2007-05-14, 22:23   Link #95
Telliamed
sensei no pet

She didn't have to leave the hospital right away. Just loiter around the lobby and cafeteria until dusk.
We don't see her again until the following day, and it's raining then as well.
Old 2007-05-14, 22:45   Link #96
andiyar
wingéd prettygirl
*Author

Send a message via AIM to andiyar Send a message via MSN to andiyar
I haven't visited this forum yet, so I've a bit of catching up to do... that said, I suppose I can ruminate a bit on this episode.

I seem to have joined the lowest four people in giving this episode an 8 out of 10. That is rather shocking to me, that the lowest rating given to an episode is an 8. Perhaps it's a remnant of the Kanon voting system that is throwing me here...

That said, I gave it an eight for a reason. I am highly enjoying sola, moreso than almost any anime I have seen in a long time - for reasons already extolled here - the character interactions, the dialogue and some very very cute (and funny!) subversive moments (a lá Matsuri/Yorito in the boat last episode). However, I don't think this episode was perfect, for two reasons... which are, I suppose, one reason that expressed itself twice - and that reason is pace.

The first was the flashback scene involving Aono and Matsuri, and the cavern. It's possible I'm penalising this too early, as there will hopefully be further illumination on the flashback in the next episode or two, but at the moment, the flashback feels awfully jerky to me, in terms of what it is trying to set up. Additionally, the tram car dialogue between Matsuri and Aono seemed to suffer a few problems as well, possibly due to the reliance on the flashback to establish the connection. I quite understand what happened, I just think the execution could be a tiny bit cleaner.

As for the rest of the episode - Matsuri on the futon teasing (or not) Yorito was pure magic, as was the rooftop moment at the end. I'm starting to have thoughts of "the head vampire" pathos, but that might be completely wrong (in regards to loli-in-a-box & Aono & Matsuri, relationship-wise). It will be very interesting to watch and see.

-Andiyar
Old 2007-05-14, 22:53   Link #97
dojikyo

Although I wouldn't say this is the most likely theory. It is possible that Aono didn't so much commit suicide as she did cast a spell to revive Yorito. After that Matsuri resurrected Aono. Why couldn't Matsuri just revive Yorito? Even the past Yorito loved the sky so much that it would be cruel to deny him the blue skies. The whole thing about being in world without Yorito would be due to her inability to live a normal life with Yorito. But mostly, since they indicated through means of the frog that Aono gives life through blood.

Granted the suicide thing has a lot going for it as well. Yorito, probably didn't die with as much grief as Aono so Matsuri couldn't resurrect him. Aono on the other hand ...

edit: Gave the episode a 9. It raises a lot questions while providing a little more insight into the characters. But the animation cost it a point.
Old 2007-05-14, 23:01   Link #98
PastPrime

There are a couple of things any Yurito theories will have to consider.
1. He has no problem with modern appliances. Everything in the house worked until Matsuri tried to kick start them.
2. He evidently does adequately in school.
Old 2007-05-15, 00:11   Link #99
JediNight
キズランダム

Wow, what an episode. Not that it was completely unexpected. It was fairly obvious from early on that Aono was also a yoribito. Although it was unclear if she was just "contracting the disease" for it, or how else it would be explained. Her knowing Matsuri was interesting though.

And it also hits us with another bombshell from what Aono says -- she overused her powers 3 months ago to create Yorito out of her memories. So she arranged for them to be in that house and for Yorito to think their parents are away. When really no parents exist, and his memories of Aono are a fabrication since she couldn't have been in the sunlight like normal people.
Old 2007-05-15, 00:22   Link #100
EvolutionXI

Wow, really nice ep. Kind of knew Aono was also like Matsuri, and that Matsuri made her that way. But didn't think they had an actual past together. Thought Matsuri might have saved her from death and then gone somewhere so that they only really saw each other. Curious about Aono having used up all her powers too.
Closed Thread