AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > General > General Chat

Notices

View Poll Results: Do you feel that you're less sensetive and merciful toward the other during web-based interaction?
Yes 11 45.83%
No 13 54.17%
Voters: 24. You may not vote on this poll

Old 2014-02-18, 23:38   Link #1
Fireminer
Lumine Passio
*Author

Do you feel you are less merciful toward the other during internet communication?

It's true that the development of Internet and computer industry help us connect easier to each other. However, it wouldn't be totally wrong to say that they might have a hand in making us forget some basic rules in communication. Heated debates are no strangers to this forum and the social network in the whole. And I have to shamely admit that I've said a lot of impolite, if not exceeding rude, without full knowledge of the other. So what I want to ask is: Do you feel that you are less merciful, less sensetive to your partners through web-based communication?
Fireminer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-02-19, 02:14   Link #2
Archon_Wing
On a mission
*Author

Send a message via MSN to Archon_Wing
Absolutely not. I am always merciful and sensitive to the lesser beings that populate the internet; it's just that they are not advanced enough to realize that they only browse and communicate on the internet while remaining sane because I allow them to. Unfortunate, but also understandable.

Avatar/Sig courtesy of TheEroKing
Guild Wars 2 SN: ArchonWing.9480
MyAnimeList || Reviews
Archon_Wing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-02-19, 05:00   Link #3
HasuMasu
*Artist

I'm probably the opposite.

I usually don't have enough time to think of what I'm saying offline, so I usually come off as hostile. Even my voice has some edge to it unless I have some time to think first.
Old 2014-02-19, 17:29   Link #4
DonQuigleone
Knight Errant

I would be inclined to say yes, but with caveats. Namely, I would say I've never set out to provoke anyone, but I also do not moderate what I say online the way I might in real life...
DonQuigleone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-02-19, 17:39   Link #5
Achiuakuna
Kimo-kimo-ii~

Never. People who behave impolitely online behave impolitely in real life if given the opportunity, and people who are sensible and well mannered online do the same in real life.

The only difference is that people who are offensive and impolite without even the basic decency involved in human communication would not have much of a chance to speak in the first place in real life before they get punched in the face. On the internet they can get away with it.

It only seems that people are more rude online because the people who are rude can't do it in real life when there are consequences. So it looks like there's a net-gain of rude people online.
Achiuakuna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-02-19, 18:01   Link #6
Endless Soul
Megane girl fan

Frankly it's quite the opposite for me. The innerentz have provided me even greater opportunities to be a decent, righteous individual, as well as insert jokes whenever I can.

As I was not-so-subtly reminded recently, time on this planet is finite. I really don't want to spend it arguing.

Endless "Time is short" Soul
Old 2014-02-19, 19:20   Link #7
EscapeReality

I would say stuff that I would probably think twice if I was saying it to their faces. I think online I'm more inclined to morph the conversation in more horizontal ways, like I would criticize or joke rather than just agree...

But I don't think it's made me less merciful...rather I feel more empowered to keep in touch with people and to make actually decent conversation. It's a mercy to spare them from the evils of small talk.

I am quite a bit more confrontational online...well, at least I don't write "fight me irl"...
EscapeReality is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-02-19, 19:32   Link #8
Im Otaku
Siscon 愛

I'm more sophisticated online, I don't seem to feel nervous or afraid of saying something stupid online but if I was in real life you'd retty much catch me as an mute. One f my life dreams is to become a shut-in to be perfectly honest.
Im Otaku is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-02-22, 19:50   Link #9
Fireminer
Lumine Passio
*Author

So the result is 7 "Yes" to 6 "No". Almost to a 50-50. So, I want to ask another question: For the ones voted "Yes", hơ old are you? The same question with the ones voted "No".
Fireminer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-02-23, 06:54   Link #10
monsta666

Online message boards and other forms of electronic communication such as SMS's (text messages) or social network websites have changed the way we communicate in a significant manner. When a person has the perception of greater anonymity they will have a tendency to be more forthright with their opinion and may even be more inclined to be less polite and considerate of others. It is not a universal trait because, as I said, it is a mere tendency not an absolute rule. I would say that the perception of anonymity coupled with a large audience gives a user two incentives to behave differently in order to gain attention. The effects need not be dramatic but usually the different environments does lead to some change in behaviour.

I do feel the rise of SMS's, social network websites and the general pervasiveness in being "plugged-in" on various mediums has also changed the way we interact with the world around us. For a start this instant communication while having it's obvious benefits does lead to a society where the emphasis on instant gratification is greater than ever. In addition to that the various mediums all compete for our attention leading to a scenario were we often multi-task between each medium and quite often don't give our full attention to any specific topic matter. Both these factors could have a detrimental effect on attention spans. If that is the case then a reduced attention span is going to have an effect in how people discuss various topics as people with reduced attention spans less likely to go into great depth in any given topic manner.
monsta666 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-02-23, 23:56   Link #11
Soverence

I went with no only because I feel like I am about the same in real life and on the internet in terms of how "merciful" I am towards someone in a conversation. I am usually somewhat blunt in both real life and on the internet when I need/want to be, only real difference is I get more time to plan out witty comments on the internet then I do in real life .

Quote:
Originally Posted by Achiuakuna View Post
Never. People who behave impolitely online behave impolitely in real life if given the opportunity, and people who are sensible and well mannered online do the same in real life.
Well I am not sure I agree with that statement, I know at least a few people who love to be huge trolls to everyone on the internet yet in real life are actually quite polite. I like to imagine that a person's identity on the internet isn't always the same as their identity in real life even if there are often overlapping aspects. I would be willing to bet that there are people out there that are impolite online but polite in the real world and vice versa.
Soverence is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-02-24, 07:14   Link #12
MUAHAHAHAHAHA
Hail the power of Fujoshi

Merciful? Haha, it's kind of erm, extreme and weird in a way to use that word to describe the way I communicate with other homo sapiens that throng the Internet. I don't find myself being more forthright when expressing my opinion.

Probably because I am the type that do not care for peoples' opinion any more than I am sure they care for mine.

Anyway, I enjoy talking to anonymous Internet folks because I am not burdened by the same issues that plague in person relationships. Cyber relationships allow me to unwind myself with little commitment to the said relationship. So I guess I tend to be polite when conversing with online peeps.

Old stuff but just a reminder that butthurt report form is here to help
MUAHAHAHAHAHA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-02-24, 16:47   Link #13
careph

Considering that when I talk to others I often come off as arrogant and condescending, and that I hardly ever bother to write anything on the internet, I would say I am more merciful to people on the net than to the few unfortunate souls that sometimes have to bear my existence offline.
careph is offline   Reply With Quote