AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > General > General Chat

Notices

Old 2011-02-05, 17:11   Link #4641
felix
sleepyhead
*Author

Probably NightWish & his scripts.
Old 2011-02-06, 01:31   Link #4642
Asuras
Dictadere~!

What type of music would you classify the majority of songs in the Armored Core 4 soundtrack as?
Old 2011-02-07, 11:13   Link #4643
mindovermatter
For me the bell tolls

Send a message via AIM to mindovermatter Send a message via MSN to mindovermatter Send a message via Yahoo to mindovermatter
I've got a question that I want to consult a wider group of people..so AS is the only place I can think of to go (besides /b/ but I know that would be a disaster)

so I'm part of a group that has this fundraiser idea for some kind of game which seems to be a cross between musical chairs and bingo, and you win cake. The name of the game is "Cake walk." That sounds innocent enough, right? But I looked up it's history, and the name comes from a game that black slaves used to play. I'm afraid that using that name for our game might invite trouble or complaints.
I told the other members of the group this, and they said that I was being way to politically correct and that nobody cares, and it'll be no problem.
My position is that it would be no problem to change the name of the game, and on the off chance that it saves us a headache later, great. But they don't want to change the name.
So my question is, is it a big deal? and if so, should I insist on changing the name, or not participate if they refuse to?
I'm just not 'current' with what is not considered pc, and what is just accepted and 'OK'

School Rumble 4Ever!
I'm on FB search "jym cl"
mindovermatter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-02-07, 11:18   Link #4644
felix
sleepyhead
*Author

You said "black slaves used to play" so… what's the problem? Did that game have a bad reputation? If black slaves played cards would it be politically incorrect to play cards?
Old 2011-02-07, 11:31   Link #4645
mindovermatter
For me the bell tolls

Send a message via AIM to mindovermatter Send a message via MSN to mindovermatter Send a message via Yahoo to mindovermatter
it was a game played specifically by slaves to make fun of their masters (though it's been suggested that the masters were using that as a ruse to hold even more authority over the slaves)

School Rumble 4Ever!
Old 2011-02-07, 11:46   Link #4646
felix
sleepyhead
*Author

Is there any analogy to the current game you're making?
Old 2011-02-07, 11:50   Link #4647
mindovermatter
For me the bell tolls

besides the name, I believe there are some similarities in the game play.
Neither the current game, nor the history were very clear to me

School Rumble 4Ever!
Old 2011-02-07, 12:03   Link #4648
felix
sleepyhead
*Author

You can't solve the problem with out knowing the problem. Track down what the original game was about. If it had nothing to do with yours except for the name being similar I would agree with your colleagues that it's nothing to worry too much about.
Old 2011-02-07, 12:17   Link #4649
WordShaker
In scientific terms only.

Send a message via MSN to WordShaker
Cakewalks are decidedly uncontroversial, despite its history. You shouldn't worry about it at all, really. The legacy of slavery is, of course, a touchy subject, but thousands of things have been passed down from that regrettable era, and many simply don't arouse suspicion or anger. The cakewalk is one of them.

Of course, this is coming from the position of a person who lives in Louisiana, USA, a former slave state with a rather dark history. Take it with a grain of salt, if you wish.
WordShaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-02-08, 12:40   Link #4650
KiNA
Kira_Naruto, the ecchi
*Graphic Designer

There are 2 french movies about parkour. IIRC the main actors is the same. The first one, again IIRC, revolved around them thieving to pay hospital fee of a kid.

I need the name for both. TIA.

Could the mods at least remove the silly tags?
>> Tsukiumi
>> Saeko Busujima
>> Himuka
>> Yui Kotegawa

KiNA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-02-08, 16:54   Link #4651
WordShaker
In scientific terms only.

Send a message via MSN to WordShaker
Quote:
Originally Posted by KiNA View Post
There are 2 french movies about parkour. IIRC the main actors is the same. The first one, again IIRC, revolved around them thieving to pay hospital fee of a kid.

I need the name for both. TIA.

Could the mods at least remove the silly tags?
You're looking for Yamakasi (Wikipedia article here). The other movies you might be looking for are District 13 and its sequel, produced and written by the same guy who wrote Yamakasi.

Good films, good films.
WordShaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-02-08, 23:09   Link #4652
SaintessHeart
NYAAAAHAAANNNNN~

Alright I went to a doc for a follow-up on an injured ankle. What does she mean by "the low fat ratio in your legs will cause more injuries for you in the future"?

When three puppygirls named after pastries are on top of each other, it is called Eclair a'la menthe et Biscotti aux fraises avec beaucoup de Ricotta sur le dessus.
Most of all, you have to be disciplined and you have to save, even if you hate our current financial system. Because if you don't save, then you're guaranteed to end up with nothing.
SaintessHeart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-02-09, 10:13   Link #4653
felix
sleepyhead
*Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by SaintessHeart View Post
Alright I went to a doc for a follow-up on an injured ankle. What does she mean by "the low fat ratio in your legs will cause more injuries for you in the future"?
I think he must have just been jocking about you being too skinny. (Did he prescribe you junk-food?)
Old 2011-02-09, 10:25   Link #4654
MeoTwister5
Komrades of Kitamura Kou

Quote:
Originally Posted by SaintessHeart View Post
The subcutaneous fat padding buffers against physical contact that could cause injury. Yes, you actually need in dem legs to protect against the cruel forces of nature.
MeoTwister5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-02-09, 10:59   Link #4655
ChainLegacy
廉頗

Quote:
Originally Posted by MeoTwister5 View Post
The subcutaneous fat padding buffers against physical contact that could cause injury. Yes, you actually need in dem legs to protect against the cruel forces of nature.
I see, but why didn't Saintess' doctor say muscle instead? Doesn't it have the same benefit, while being healthier (unless Saintess is a very skinny person, which I guess I don't know)?
ChainLegacy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-02-09, 11:06   Link #4656
MeoTwister5
Komrades of Kitamura Kou

When he said low fat ratio I presume the doctor means that he has less fat per muscle and/or skin ratio, because a specific amount of fat and normal in the subcutaneous fascial spaces between skin and muscle/bone. This would translate to Saintess not having the expected amount of fat distributed evenly in his legs compared to other areas. Muscles have a lot of pain receptors whereas fat has very little if at all, which makes muscle useless as a physical buffer since you'd ache every time you get hit.

The thing is, if say he has a LOT of fat elsewhere like the gut and chest but little in the limbs, that's an actual disease.
MeoTwister5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-02-09, 16:27   Link #4657
SaintessHeart
NYAAAAHAAANNNNN~

Quote:
Originally Posted by MeoTwister5 View Post
When he said low fat ratio I presume the doctor means that he has less fat per muscle and/or skin ratio, because a specific amount of fat and normal in the subcutaneous fascial spaces between skin and muscle/bone. This would translate to Saintess not having the expected amount of fat distributed evenly in his legs compared to other areas. Muscles have a lot of pain receptors whereas fat has very little if at all, which makes muscle useless as a physical buffer since you'd ache every time you get hit.

The thing is, if say he has a LOT of fat elsewhere like the gut and chest but little in the limbs, that's an actual disease.
I have no idea what she is talking about because I was almost half-asleep thanks to classes and an all-nighter rushing a project.

She also mentioned that if there is alot of fat elsewhere, it might be an actual disease so she scheduled me for another full-body checkup. Though I have no idea what the rest of my body has to do with my leg, which got stuck between two pieces of concrete broken drain cover in a drain in the middle of a rainstorm 1.5 years ago.

When three puppygirls named after pastries are on top of each other, it is called Eclair a'la menthe et Biscotti aux fraises avec beaucoup de Ricotta sur le dessus.
Most of all, you have to be disciplined and you have to save, even if you hate our current financial system. Because if you don't save, then you're guaranteed to end up with nothing.
Old 2011-02-09, 21:04   Link #4658
Mr. Bushido
Zoro

Unidiomatic Expressions?

Hello everyone!

Lately, I've been studying for the GRE. I'm looking into going to graduate school, and I came across this particular phrase "unidiomatic expression." I tried to look up on Google what this exactly is, but I had no luck. All I got was "not an idiom," but according to some of these study books, an unidiomatic phrase is reason enough for a particular phrase to be grammatically incorrect over another. Can someone help me out with what exactly these are?

I don't mean to be arrogant or anything, but....
Keep in mind, I'm studying for GREs and other graduate level exams/writing, so if you're a younger middle/high school student, please only comment if you're 100% sure you know what you're talking about.
Mr. Bushido is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-02-09, 21:47   Link #4659
TinyRedLeaf
Moving in circles

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Bushido View Post
Lately, I've been studying for the GRE. I'm looking into going to graduate school, and I came across this particular phrase "unidiomatic expression." I tried to look up on Google what this exactly is, but I had no luck. All I got was "not an idiom," but according to some of these study books, an unidiomatic phrase is reason enough for a particular phrase to be grammatically incorrect over another. Can someone help me out with what exactly these are?
This probably belongs in the "silly questions" thread, which is actually more serious than silly, really.

To answer your question, that's a surprise to me, too. I've never heard of "unidiomatic expressions" but, going by the examples thrown up by Google, it would appear that such expressions are ungrammatical simply by definition. They are "unidiomatic" in the sense that certain words are being used in ways that native speakers of the language normally wouldn't.

For example, many people incorrectly say "neck to neck" when the correct expression is neck and neck. One passes the baton to the next generation; one does not "pass on the baton". If one is in trouble, we could say that one is in hot water; one is not "in hot soup".

Other mistakes I've come across as recently as yesterday while editing news copy:
Between...and, not between...to; in the latter case, we usually mean to say that something ranges from...to.

Comprises does not require a preposition. For example, the team comprises three members. Alternatively, you can also say: The team consists of three members.

Similarly, juggle does not require a preposition. For example, "I find it hard to juggle career and family", not "I find it hard to juggle between career and family".
TinyRedLeaf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-02-11, 03:41   Link #4660
SaintessHeart
NYAAAAHAAANNNNN~

Alright, in 3 months time I will finish my base courses and start taking my majors, which will lead to my degree in Econs and Finance.

The problem is, I have two choices to get my degree from, one of them which is a direct honours which is more prestigious but pure mugging (read : waste of time drilling for exams), whereas the other is very project-oriented.

Which one should I go for? I don't think I have the patience to mug for another 1.5 years of text, but the lack of recognition in the project-oriented one is made up by project work, which is a better learning experience IMO.

Tags
problem, q&a, serious