AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Retired > Retired A-L > Clannad

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 2010-04-19, 08:15   Link #201
Jimmy C

I found that the dub crew appear to be somewhat sloppy. There's at least one missing line in the dub ep4, (Tomoyo's line while she kicks Sunohara after the breast prank) and I could've sworn there's one more in ep1-3.
Old 2010-04-23, 14:21   Link #202
FireChick

I'm having a problem! Even though I registered to the Anime Network's website, it's not letting me watch Clannad episode one! It won't even let me pick the dubbed option for some reason! I even activated my account too!
Old 2010-04-23, 15:02   Link #203
DeX-kun
Alto x Ranka :)

Quote:
Originally Posted by FireChick View Post
I'm having a problem! Even though I registered to the Anime Network's website, it's not letting me watch Clannad episode one! It won't even let me pick the dubbed option for some reason! I even activated my account too!
I don't think you're at fault here since I had the same problem a while back when they announced the first 2 episodes were going to be dubbed. I'm not sure if they'll fix it but just keep checking back, maybe they'll get around to fixing it or there's a possibility that the dubs were only going to be up for a limited amount of time.

"Aishiteru ~ I Love You"
Old 2010-04-23, 17:57   Link #204
VRMN
Dangoism

Send a message via AIM to VRMN
I just checked; episodes 1-10 work for me dubbed. It's been two a week every week, like clockwork at midnight CT every Thursday.
Old 2010-04-23, 18:03   Link #205
DeX-kun
Alto x Ranka :)

Quote:
Originally Posted by VRMN View Post
I just checked; episodes 1-10 work for me dubbed. It's been two a week every week, like clockwork at midnight CT every Thursday.
You're probably subscribed since I can't watch anything past episode 2. Either way, the dubs are working fine for me (at least for the first 2 episodes.)

"Aishiteru ~ I Love You"
Old 2010-04-23, 18:08   Link #206
DasDingus
Dango Daikaizoku

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimmy C View Post
I found that the dub crew appear to be somewhat sloppy. There's at least one missing line in the dub ep4, (Tomoyo's line while she kicks Sunohara after the breast prank) and I could've sworn there's one more in ep1-3.
As far as being sloppy, I think I heard Kotomi call Kyou "Tomoyo" in episode 10. Can anybody else confirm I wasn't hearing things?
Old 2010-04-23, 19:25   Link #207
VRMN
Dangoism

Quote:
Originally Posted by DasDingus View Post
As far as being sloppy, I think I heard Kotomi call Kyou "Tomoyo" in episode 10. Can anybody else confirm I wasn't hearing things?
Unfortunately, yes. The dub is generally of really good quality; I like the voices, they're well-acted almost all of the time, but it seems every week there is what I've taken to calling the Clannad Dub Headdesk of the Week. That line was by far the biggest flub of the entire dub, despite actually being really well delivered (really liking Emily Neves' Kotomi) and almost certainly the fault of the script writer.

It feels like they did the whole thing on one take, leading to occasional stilted lines, odd inconsistencies, and flat out face plants. In episode two, for instance, Luci Christian, who has by and far done a perfect job with Nagisa, just fell on her face with one of the 'ehehe's Nagisa's so well known for. She's done well with them before and since, to the degree that I can just see a look of horror on her face when they took that take. Like they couldn't afford retakes because studio time was so compacted. It's really quite a shame because it's generally well done, but these issues, and I know a lot of them are nitpicks (but I love this series too much to not nitpick), keep it from being great.
Old 2010-05-06, 16:05   Link #208
AmyElizzabeth
Moo

Send a message via MSN to AmyElizzabeth
Am I the only one who really likesthe english voices?? (besides Kyou..too old.)
Ryou is Ayu from Kanon, and I love that voice actress (I thnk I fail because I love her and do not know her name)
Kotomi's had a bit more emotion than I wanted, but meh.
Tomoyo should be switched with Kyou.
Tomoya's dub voice= almost win. I would have called it a win if it was Crispin Freeman.
Fuko's is okay, I guess.
Nagisa's is cute! I think It's the perfect voice for her, personally.
My favorite one was Sunohara. I lol'd epicly, because I love Greg Ayers, and I kept imagining Tsuyoshi Sasaki (from Kodocha) saying this stuff..plus, I love his freak out voice.
Old 2010-05-06, 16:15   Link #209
hinakatbklyn

Quote:
Originally Posted by AmyElizzabeth View Post

Am I the only one who really likesthe english voices?? (besides Kyou..too old.)
Ryou is Ayu from Kanon, and I love that voice actress (I thnk I fail because I love her and do not know her name)
Tomoyo should be switched with Kyou.
Tomoya's dub voice= almost win. I would have called it a win if it was Crispin Freeman.
Fuko's is okay, I guess.
Nagisa's is cute! I think It's the perfect voice for her, personally.
My favorite one was Sunohara. I lol'd epicly, because I love Greg Ayers, and I kept imagining Tsuyoshi Sasaki (from Kodocha) saying this stuff..plus, I love his freak out voice.
Ryou / Ayu both Britney Karbowsky (didn't think of her originally for Ryou but still good)
Tomoya very good choice
Nagisa great choice but I could of thought of other alternatives for Nagisa. That same voice actor (Luci) was my only choice for Kyou since she can also voice characters with huge tempers
Fuko & Sunohara (those were my original choices and I believe they didn't disappoint)
Old 2010-05-06, 21:23   Link #210
VRMN
Dangoism

After weeks of watching the episodes patiently, two a week, every week, as Sentai Filmworks rolled out their first dub on Anime Network Online, they quietly uploaded them all to a variety of platforms including Netflix Instant Watch.

So, over the course of the past couple days I went from having seen the first 12 episodes dubbed to all 24 in their entirety. As such, I can at last render a complete and fair judgment of the first dub out of Amusement Park Media, now Seraphim Studios, since the collapse of ADV Films last year.

Let me state this outright from the beginning. I do not hold the original performance either for or against a dub. I try to judge them on their own merits, especially because I have found, through years of watching dubs, that they perform best when directors are not wholly constrained by what the characters sounded like in Japanese. The quirks in many Japanese seiyuu's performances rarely translate well to English and, as such, an English adaptation is best served by staying true to the character while not being locked to the tone of the Japanese voice.

This is a personal preference, though one I find to be rooted in truth. This is the case with Clannad's English adaptation and, therefore, my opinion is skewed by my preferences in this manner.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

When Clannad was first released, many people bemoaned the lack of an English dub. The niche level of the franchise and the well-known financial difficulties of ADV Films at the time kept most criticism muted. Sales were clearly enough where Sentai Filmworks elected to start dubbing anime again, with Clannad receiving the first revised treatment, with a complete collection due out in June holding the new English dub.

The show starts out with some controversial casting choices. Most notably is the female lead, Nagisa Furukawa, being portrayed by Luci Christian, an actress most known for fiery roles like Kaname Chidori of Full Metal Panic!, not those closer to the meek Nagisa. Still, she performs the role admirably, finding a quiet voice that quite suits the mild-mannered girl and sticking with it. There are a few slight stumbles, mostly early, but Ms. Christian headlines the dub and is probably the single best performance. Really. The worst thing to say about Nagisa in the dub is that she and the other characters pronounce it somewhat oddly, but this is nothing a first-time viewer would pick up on.

David Matranaga performs as the second half of the budding couple in Tomoya Okazaki and, like Nagisa, performs very well outside of a couple stumbles. He finds a balance between sounding distant and finding moments of warmth and brings life to the role nearly as well as Ms. Christian brings life to the aspiring Drama Club president. Similarly, Kaytha Coker (Tomoyo Sakagami), Hilary Haag (Fuko Ibuki), and Emily Neves (Kotomi Ichinose) perform very well; in the latter two's cases, actually suprising me with how well they adapted the characters. Andrew Love's portrayal of Nagisa's father, Akio, is another high water mark.

Most performances, even when they don't stand out as nearly perfect, are not jarring even to a longtime fan of the original Japanese voices. Even the ones with which there is disconnect with the Japanese voices -- Shelly Calene-Black's Kyou Fujibayashi and Greg Ayers' Youhei Sunohara -- grew on me before very long. To be short, on its face it is a capable dub with good performances.

Unfortunately, Clannad's English dub is not a perfect adaptation. In its early goings there are numerous tiny imperfections that can and will drive many hardcore fans -- such as myself, who very well may have noticed each and every one -- up the wall. There are issues with name pronunciation, there are minor continuity errors caused by the dub, there is even one line where one character addresses another with a third character's name.

Yet, for all these flaws, for every "headdesk of the week," as I called some of the biggest issues, in the end one truth remains. I watched every episode. Not out of some need to punish myself, but because I legitimately enjoyed the performances. The flaws with the performance, when they occur, seem to be rooted primarily in what feels like a very time- and cash-scrapped operation. One line, near the midpoint of episode two, features Nagisa and her trademark "ehehe" laugh which, simply, falls flat to the degree that one can just see Ms. Christian's face falling when that was the accepted take.

It just sounds like a performance in which the first take was the only take, likely for monetary reasons (studio time is expensive). For such a performance, it excels much more often than it falters. I can and have whined about little issues that do not impact the story, but in the end, the story is delivered, it is delivered capably, and the characters and the actors and actresses that play them in English have done a very good job. While, as in the original, there are no real tear-jerking moments in the first season, the dramatic moments are there and, these being the true test of a grasp of a character for an actor or actress, are capably handled.

These facts, however, do not erase those very real flaws. It is not a bad dub by any stretch of the imagination, but these issues do keep it from achieving the same level as a Cowboy Bebop or even Amusement Park Media's earlier dubs of Kanon and Air. If you have not seen Clannad in Japanese, I would wager that you wouldn't notice but one of the most egregious flaws of the dub.

That, in the end, is what allows me to claim the performance as a good one. It's not a pitch-perfect, line-for-line adaptation that will please purists in every aspect. I should know; I'm the kind of person that notices these things and I have noticed plenty of little flaws while watching the dub. But these little issues, in the end, did not stop me from enjoying the capable performances of nearly the entire cast. I was entertained, in a good way, by the dub. That, after all, is the bottom line. Or it should be, anyway. I'm looking forward to seeing them take on Clannad After Story. With no warm up time necessary, that dub may very well transcend good and be truly fantastic.

Last edited by VRMN; 2010-05-06 at 21:38.
Old 2010-05-07, 02:51   Link #211
Khu
そんなやさしくしないで。。。

Let's hope they DO take on After Story.

They are, right?
Old 2010-05-07, 02:57   Link #212
DmonHiro

Send a message via Yahoo to DmonHiro
Dub hater here: Kyou's voice does not match AT ALL, and Fuko's is a little off. Other then that though, the rest of the voices are decent. None of them make my ears bleed, and that's at least something over *some* other dubs (here's looking at you, s-CRY-ed, aka worst dub I ever saw). Good effort, but the real test are episodes 8-9, Fuko's arc end. We'll see how good they are at mirroring the emotions in the original Japanese, at which if you don't at least get teary-eyed, you have no soul.
Old 2010-05-10, 18:57   Link #213
DasDingus
Dango Daikaizoku

Wow, I just got to episodes 13 and 14 and it's clear that Tomoya's VA is trying to do young Tomoya as well and it fails hard. It doesn't sound like a kid but rather like an old guy trying to pretend he's a kid.... which is basically what it is I guess. This must be what happens when you try to dub on a budget.
Old 2010-06-11, 01:47   Link #214
cyberdemon

after watching every episode dubbed i gotta say that they did a pretty good job. Sunohara's voice was off at first but he got more comfortable with the role and it started to sound more natural to listen to it. Tomoya and Nagisa were just fantastic. They went their own way for Kotomi but she did a pretty good job for such a new voice actress. Kyou was still a little iffy but I started to get more used to he rin the later episodes.
Old 2010-06-18, 00:57   Link #215
DasDingus
Dango Daikaizoku

Just got my DVDs today and finished off the dub. I felt like they hit their stride by the end of the first season although Mei's voice felt a bit off. The DVD said that the dub of AS is in progress so that's exciting.
Old 2010-06-19, 23:42   Link #216
FugibayashiFlower<3

after watching small parts of dubbed episodes of CLANNAD.
it's....okay....i assume, i mean, kyou's voice, it just didn't fit her...
but amazingly, i got used to it pretty fast.

thinking i was gonna lose my interest in the japanese version, i quickly went over the animefreak.tv and started watching CLANNAD all over again. i agree with myself, the japanese version is much better. ^^
- goes back to watching -

Be calm in your HEART. {Clannad FTW!<3}
Old 2010-06-24, 21:10   Link #217
chikorita157
ひきこもりアイドル
*IT Support

Just ordered the DVD that was on sale on Rightstuff and yes, I can't wait to rewatch the whole show with the dub... and hopefully write a review on it as well.
Old 2010-06-25, 20:25   Link #218
SJCrew
Anachro-Romeo

I saw the Tomoyo Chapter episode yesterday in English and man, did Kaytha Coker do a great job. My only issue is that they fucked up the breakup scene, which was easily the most powerful moment in the entire episode (strong enough to convert non-believers of TomoyaxTomoyo, which was me until I saw that very scene).

But then there was the ending scene. My god, the ending scene. It was so strong and emotional, I had to play it back thrice just to take it all in. If nothing else, that will make the episode well worth the half-hour spent.
Old 2010-06-30, 23:46   Link #219
cyberdemon

Quote:
Originally Posted by SJCrew View Post
which was easily the most powerful moment in the entire episode (strong enough to convert non-believers of TomoyaxTomoyo, which was me until I saw that very scene).
I'm a non-believer and i saw the episode in Japanese. Didn't change my opinion of the pairing. I thought it was a rather boring episode and pairing.
Old 2010-06-30, 23:51   Link #220
zrdb
I'm Under Arrest!!

Send a message via Yahoo to zrdb
I know the dub isn't perfect-but name me one that is. I'm really just damn glad to be able to watch to Clannad in english instead of "reading" it. I really hope that they dub After Story because it will be an instant buy for me.