AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Retired > Retired M-Z > Negima

Notices

Old 2004-09-02, 02:06   Link #21
AnimeOni
Raid-the-mods

Quote:
Originally Posted by suguru
Supposedly Negima is going to be a "special short anime" that won't be out until April...sounds like an OVA, which is too bad because with 50+ chapters there's definitely enough material for a TV series:

http://www.animenewsnetwork.com/colu...man.php?id=179

I've got to think the TV series will come eventually, but maybe they're testing the waters with the OVA first. And I thought Azusa's eyes were distracting too, it just ruined her character design for me. On the cover of the manga posted earlier it was subtle enough to not look bad, but in the anime it just makes her look like she's possessed or something--it reminds me of Hiro from Asagiri no Miko...
I agree with you, a lot of Anime comes out in OVA form before it becomes a TV series. This is a way that producers can test the water. A few that comes to mind are:

- UltraManiac
- Wind ~Breath of the Heart~,
- Bubblegum (2033 vs 2044 - many debates over this!!!)
- Ah My goddess (TV Series coming...)
- Rockman
- Green Green

The list goes on and on but you get my drift.

As to Asuna's eyes. I asked myself WTF. I thought there was something wrong with my monitor or she totally lost one of her contacts. It was IMHO terrible. It totally was distracting. My eyes kept on drifting to her eyes and I had to rewind a few times to get the jist of the preview.
________
Ford windstar specifications

Last edited by AnimeOni; 2011-03-05 at 11:44.
AnimeOni is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-09-02, 02:21   Link #22
FlyByNite

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kyuven
it really isn't right to condense a series that has the potential to be twice as long as its predecessors (A.I. Love You and Love Hina) and still maintain a good story (heck, if i had that many characters to work with, i could make 52+ episodes and still have characters not developed enough...)
on the other hand, i will watch it since i'm a big fan of series that take a cliche or overused plot device and put it on the back burner in favor of character development and/or story (i've heard Akamatsu only made it into a "harem" manga at his editor's insistance, yet he's been taking a different approach than before i.e., action sequences beyond a guy getting punched to the moon, the fact that there's 1 robot and at least 3-4 different martial artists, plus a ghost and a vampire leads to...well, first a compilation of every bishoujo cliche ever made...and then some pretty decent action (i've taken a liking to Makie based on the manga so far))
Makie won the first popularity contest in the manga before she even did anything just based on how cute she looked...

But yea. I remember reading that Akamatsu basically decided that if he was going to have so many girls in the class he needed to come up with different personalities for each so he and his assistants did this chart type thing where they assigned different characteristics to each girl like to give them variety.

BTW that Ghost is that the girl in the old uniform? I always wondered why it said 1940 under her picture in the class role. Guess that would be why...

I think my favorite is Setsuna since she reminds me a lot of Motoko from Love Hina and she was my favorite character there. She's got the same sword style and her personality is sorta similar too. I really like Kaede too, she's got a funny sense of humor and her ninja abilities are nice.
FlyByNite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-09-02, 06:19   Link #23
sparrow
spontaneous comedian

Send a message via ICQ to sparrow
Setsuna is too kawaisou, more like more comedy version of Hazuki in YamiBou. got a guess that her true form is Tsuruko's bird

about Ayaka, agree that her voice is bad in the OVA, her voice in the first class album sounds a loot more "ojou-sama" than the OVA. But Negi's better, at least he doesn't sounds like MariMite's Tsutako (same CV, Satou Rina)

Last edited by sparrow; 2004-09-02 at 09:28.
sparrow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-09-02, 12:21   Link #24
Haku_Ice

How odd, Asuna's eyes doesn't bother me at all. I think it's kinda cool.

Anyways, I'm a bit worried that if a Negima anime comes out, it'll be like Love Hina anime vs Love Hina manga. The manga has SO much more and was much better than the anime. I really hope that if a Negima anime comes out, it won't cut out some of my favorite scenes as Love Hina anime did from the manga. Auu...
Haku_Ice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-09-02, 12:31   Link #25
pyu
Crouchety Old Man

Send a message via MSN to pyu
I didn't know Asuna had green and blue eyes and I have all current six volumes.

The character designs look slightly different from the manga's - then again, everything looks different in color.

We don't get to see Kanako because she's not one of the Baka Rangers (so to speak)

Negima is hardly original. The story is set in a girl's school and the main character is a 11 year old boy who happens to be a mage. Too many similarities with a certain British writer's work for me to dismiss it. There's also the fact that almost all the girls in Negi's class can be identified as some anime girl stereotype.
pyu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-09-02, 14:20   Link #26
Izzy
Corrupted

hmm.....

Spoiler:
Izzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-09-02, 18:12   Link #27
Kurosaki Takeshi

damn i was afraid of this....when i first heard that msn was going to be animated, i was afraid that they would bucher it like how they did lh. but i guess my fears came true cause after looking at those screens, it seems it will be animated by the ones who did lh. so that means that characters will look nothing like the manga!!!! they all look chubby and funny looking. damn i was hoping maybe the animaters would make it at least like lh ova style. at least that was close to manga style. damn...
Kurosaki Takeshi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-09-03, 00:22   Link #28
AnimeOni
Raid-the-mods

Quote:
Originally Posted by Haku_Ice
How odd, Asuna's eyes doesn't bother me at all. I think it's kinda cool.

Anyways, I'm a bit worried that if a Negima anime comes out, it'll be like Love Hina anime vs Love Hina manga. The manga has SO much more and was much better than the anime. I really hope that if a Negima anime comes out, it won't cut out some of my favorite scenes as Love Hina anime did from the manga. Auu...
Manga to Anime adaptation usually means a lot of cuts (or 'creative' edits - um. adaptations). I wonder how involved the author is in this production.
________
Michigan Medical Marijuana

Last edited by AnimeOni; 2011-03-05 at 11:45.
AnimeOni is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-09-03, 00:45   Link #29
Haku_Ice

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnimeOni
Manga to Anime adaptation usually means a lot of cuts (or 'creative' edits - um. adaptations). I wonder how involved the author is in this production.
Well, I'm hoping that like Naruto, the anime will perfectly reflect the manga. But I guess I shouldn't get my hopes up too high.
Haku_Ice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-09-03, 03:13   Link #30
sparrow
spontaneous comedian

Send a message via ICQ to sparrow
Asuna's eye, because the contrast in anime is too strong, her right eye (the purple one) looks smaller. is it just an eye illusion or is the size actually drawn different ?
sparrow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-09-03, 12:16   Link #31
abubo

I just think it's really cool that due to the manga boom the American fans are now almost behaving almost exactly like Japanese fans now. We first read the manga, and then anticipate (or compaint about) the anime... It was for too long that non-Japanese fans focuses too much on the anime first and manga second. The reverse is true in 90% of the time... with Negima, we're finally catching up...
abubo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-09-04, 01:50   Link #32
Sakai
libro de mi padre

We will see 31 oshiris and 62 oppais? *burp*

Sakai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-09-05, 09:30   Link #33
sangbang69r

Hooray For Negima Negi

YAY~!!! Mahou Sensei Negima is gonnna come out!~!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! i read the mangas to about volume 7 and i'm so happy~~~~~~~~~~~ Kawaii deshou~?! ^_^.

Last edited by NoSanninWa; 2004-09-05 at 16:12. Reason: Merged Threads. It is ALWAYS better to post in an EXISTING thread!!!
sangbang69r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-09-05, 10:09   Link #34
SleeplessHeart
Sakuya - Rosa Tsukkomi

After a few more careful examinations.

(1) Asuna eyes.
The anime and the CD cover show that Asuna has a green and a blue eye. In the manga cover and in the Negima's calendar 2004, Asuna does not have such a contrast difference, but she does have a greenish and a blueish eye.

(2) Art quality.
Unlike Love Hina, Negima anime has a lower art quality compare with its manga. For example, Asuna's hairstyle is simplified. There is also no shading on their faces. I believe this is to cut the production time and cost. However it gives a plain 2-D impression when you them.
SleeplessHeart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-09-05, 18:44   Link #35
sangbang69r

haha.. you ppl shouldn't criticize too much. I'm just glad there will be an animation of it. ^_^. I dont' really mind the animation quality but i must say that i will be disappointed with the things they will DEFINATELY cut out from the manga. The manga was too echii for anime standards to go on tv so don't be too disappointed everyone ^_^. lets look forward to it ok? ^_^<3
sangbang69r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-09-05, 19:38   Link #36
LoveOfAnime
~Lost in the Moonlight~

Send a message via MSN to LoveOfAnime Send a message via Yahoo to LoveOfAnime
Having no experience with the manga or Love Hina, I really liked it. I hope they make at least one season. It would be interesting to see how these people interact and I think it would be great to see how everything develops. It is one I will definitely keeping my eye out for..............
LoveOfAnime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-09-05, 21:50   Link #37
nephilim
Loves Kaori

The dual-coloured eye is distracting... I wonder if they will change it since it's only a preview and there are a lot of comments about her eye colour not matching well. Yuna's from FFX matched well. Other than that it seems to me that the anime's gonna follow the manga pretty closely
nephilim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-09-17, 17:47   Link #38
lensman

Send a message via Yahoo to lensman
I have to agree with most of you on the matter of Asuna's eyes. But other than that, I think the short was quite good!

I am actually very optimistic about the quality of the upcoming Negima OVA. The reason is that the director is Hiroshi Nikishiori, the same guy who did the excellent adaptation of the "Azumanga Daioh" manga.

From the looks of things, the OVA will cover volume 1-3 of the manga. Hopefully they will have more than 3 episodes on this one...
lensman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-09-17, 23:39   Link #39
stormy001_M1A2

Send a message via MSN to stormy001_M1A2
I rather read the manga, Akamatsu creation never do well in animated form.
Old 2004-09-19, 09:36   Link #40
Loki-sama

Quote:
Originally Posted by stormy001_M1A2
I rather read the manga, Akamatsu creation never do well in animated form.
Aside from Love Hina, what other Akamatsu creation has been made into an animation?

And don't take this the wrong way you all, but what percentage of anime/movies have lived up the the corresponding mangas/books.

I'm a fan of Ken Akamatsu's stuff that has made it stateside so far and am really happy that they are turning this manga into an animation, be it a few episodes in OVA or series.
Loki-sama is offline   Reply With Quote